New Topic Respond to this Topic
Oliver
Oliver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:03 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 07:55 PM, squidly wrote: and even with items, the game still is more skill then anything else

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
<laughing_girls.jpg>

SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:04 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 07:55 PM, squidly wrote: lulstuff

You think linking a few hits into a special is a combo? Fucking no. And Tekken is all about getting the fucking knock down so you can juggle 50% combos out.
More reasons SSB is a party game: the coin and bonus modes, the time mode, adventure mode, the target mini games, multi leveled stages. The percentage damage is NOT a health bar. Health bars run out, at which point, you lose. I could continue forever getting the crap kicked out of me and not get KOed in SSB. There isn't even a combo system in SSB, it's just hit them until they go far enough to be outside the stage. The only way you could argue SSB even resembles a true fighting game is if it was constantly No Items, Final Destination, and that mode where you start at 300% and go down to 0%.

How about YOU learn?

I already did my time, I bet you don't even know the difference between a link and a cancel.

Just liked real life.

Jesus fucking Christ shut up.

kRaZyAzN
kRaZyAzN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:09 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 07:52 PM, Oliver wrote:
At 5/23/10 07:50 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote: What is it then? A "party game with fighting"??
He said that half way up the fucking page.

Yes, I read that it from what we've all been saying it doesn't seem to make much sense.

And yes. SSBB isn't a fighting game, no matter how hard it tries to be, it just won't. Deal with it.

It certainly isn't a "party game". No matter how much sakurai tried to make it uncompetitive, it still is.

Founder of the Asian Users club
Member of the Super Smash Bros.Crew since page 58. SSBB friend code: 3265-4812-7128

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:10 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 08:09 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote: It certainly isn't a "party game". No matter how much sakurai tried to make it uncompetitive, it still is.

How does it being competitive make a difference? Nearly every Video Game is competitive.

Oliver
Oliver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:11 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 08:09 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote:
It certainly isn't a "party game". No matter how much sakurai tried to make it uncompetitive, it still is.

The level of Competetivity doesn't determine whether it's a fucking party game or a fighting game.
Call of Duty is competetive so can I do a final smash in that? I don't fucking think so. Sit down and shut the fuck up.

kRaZyAzN
kRaZyAzN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:21 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 08:10 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 5/23/10 08:09 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote: It certainly isn't a "party game". No matter how much sakurai tried to make it uncompetitive, it still is.
How does it being competitive make a difference? Nearly every Video Game is competitive.

Uh... no? People don't play "party" games competitively, like i dunno, mario party?

At 5/23/10 08:11 PM, Oliver wrote:
At 5/23/10 08:09 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote:
The level of Competetivity doesn't determine whether it's a fucking party game or a fighting game.
Call of Duty is competetive so can I do a final smash in that? I don't fucking think so. Sit down and shut the fuck up.

Level of competitiveness*. Why does the existance of final smashes make it uncompetitive? Almost all competitive games have rule adjustments to make them fit for competition.

Regarding the life bar/damage percentage: It simply makes it unique when compared to other fighters. The increasing hitback and different manner of KOing adds a whole new dimension of strategy to the game. How can I keep juggling/comboing even as their damage increases, how can I successfully trick my opponent/set up a KO move, or how can I recover safely back onstage after being knocked off?

Member of the Super Smash Bros.Crew since page 58. SSBB friend code: 3265-4812-7128

BBS Signature
Oliver
Oliver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:28 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 08:21 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote:
Level of competitiveness*. Why does the existance of final smashes make it uncompetitive? Almost all competitive games have rule adjustments to make them fit for competition.

I drew something just for this occasion.

Combine The Three Big Fighters...

Spunky6666
Spunky6666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:43 PM Reply

No, this would fail epicly, but if Ryu was in the next Super Smash Bros...well, let's just say I would not complain about that one.

Come reply to my Art Thread or I will forever hate you with a passion!

BBS Signature
eyeothestorm
eyeothestorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:46 PM Reply

>Tekkan
I lol'd
>SSB
>One of the "Big Three Fighters"
>Comparison to Street Fighter
Negro, you just went full retard.

Hero to the world.

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 23rd, 2010 @ 09:25 PM Reply

Oh God damn it, I can't even believe I'm having this conversation.
Just because SSB isn't elitist enough to join your little Fighter Game Youth Club, then it MUST not be a fighting game.

WRONG.

At 5/23/10 08:04 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 5/23/10 07:55 PM, squidly wrote: lulstuff
You think linking a few hits into a special is a combo? Fucking no. And Tekken is all about getting the fucking knock down so you can juggle 50% combos out.

A combo, definition from Wikipedia:
In video games, a combo (short for combination) is a term that designates a set of actions performed in sequence, usually with strict timing limitations, that yield a significant benefit or advantage.

AAA, every character in SSB has AAA, that's a combo, three different attacks chained together, NEXT.

More reasons SSB is a party game: the coin and bonus modes,

"Coin and BONUS modes."
Hey, Mortal Kombat: Deception had minigames, dose that make it a party game?

the time mode,

Ever noticed the little timer at the top of your interface?

adventure mode,

Soul Calibur had something of the same nature, did it not?
And also, that's EXTRA.

the target mini games,

Extra...

multi leveled stages.

Tekken 4 had that, and Dead or Alive, too, and if anything, that makes the game take MORE skill.

The percentage damage is NOT a health bar.

Yes it is, health bar tells you how much damage you've taken, that's what the percentage bar does.

Health bars run out, at which point, you lose.

The SSB system takes MORE skill, btw, it's a lot harder to hit somebody down, and then knock him out, then to just hit somebody down.

I could continue forever getting the crap kicked out of me and not get KOed in SSB.

But you barely ever do, especially after 100%

There isn't even a combo system in SSB,

See above.

it's just hit them until they go far enough to be outside the stage.

Street Fighter is just hit them until they die, even MORE easy.

The only way you could argue SSB even resembles a true fighting game is if it was constantly No Items, Final Destination, and that mode where you start at 300% and go down to 0%.

The definition of a fighting game is so wide that there's no such thing as a "True Fighting Game."

How about YOU learn?
I already did my time, I bet you don't even know the difference between a link and a cancel.

*Snot*Snot* "I bet you don't even know the difference between a link and a cancel." *Snot*Snot*

Didn't I tell you that I played Tekken?
A link is a chained move, right after another one, before they can recover.

A cancel is a break in an attack to do another one.

Happy?
Now please tell me what a meteor smash is.

It's the only way out!

Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 23rd, 2010 @ 09:29 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 04:54 PM, SomaGuye wrote: a party game that involves characters fighting.

You've just described any fighting game.

BBS Signature
kRaZyAzN
kRaZyAzN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 23rd, 2010 @ 09:35 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 08:28 PM, Oliver wrote:
I drew something just for this occasion.

Very mature?
You're talking about cod not having final smashes. How is that relevant either?

^I'll have to disagree with squidly to a degree though. SSBB does take skill to accel at, but so do SF and Tekken and such.

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 23rd, 2010 @ 09:36 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 08:46 PM, eyeothestorm wrote: >Tekkan
I lol'd

Tekken's a big three game, I swear, if there's three game series that sell more then anyone else, Tekken is in that list.

>SSB
>One of the "Big Three Fighters"
>Comparison to Street Fighter
Negro, you just went full retard.

SSB sells more then any other fighting game series.

AND FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, CAN WE SWITCH THIS FROM FIGHTING GAME WARS TO WHAT THE THREAD WAS ORIGINALLY?

I'm asking if it's possible to combine the best aspects of all three, and make a good game out of it.

It's the only way out!

Panzerknacker
Panzerknacker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 24th, 2010 @ 02:04 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 09:36 PM, squidly wrote: I'm asking if it's possible to combine the best aspects of all three, and make a good game out of it.

I don't think it would work, since the three games are very different in the way they are played. SSBB and SF are 2d, while Tekken is 3d, so it's impossible to make a game that incorporates the "main" parts of each game into one.

Really, the only way I can see this would work would be if you made it like a Smash Brothers game, maybe with some more refined button configurations and more moves.

PSN Id: Kenzuke
This is my signature. Boring, right?
Check out my blog

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 24th, 2010 @ 04:06 PM Reply

This argument is really dumb.

Of course SSB is a fighter. It involves a bunch of characters fighting, and that is the definition of a fighting game. It's just not the same sort of fighter as Tekken and Street Fighter.

Just because a game doesn't force itself to mirror the 'competition' doesn't mean that it's not a part of the same genre. If a game involves a lot of guns, it will likely be considered a 'shooting game'.

As to the question in the first post of the thread, all I can envisage based on that combination is 'SSB with more difficult moves and combos'.

Check out my webcomic: The Amazing and Remarkably True Adventures of Kim and Amy
Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Androu1
Androu1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... May. 24th, 2010 @ 04:32 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 04:36 PM, squidly wrote: The fact that there are these long ass bottun presses, I mean, seriously, for one move I have to do down, right, left, then any of the buttons...

Holy fuck it would be hilarious to watch you playing Virtua Fighter 5

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... Jun. 6th, 2010 @ 02:24 AM Reply

At 5/23/10 04:22 PM, squidly wrote: Into one, could it work?

I mean the big three as:

Super Smash Bros
Street Fighter
Tekkan

I'd also like to see the boobies from the Dead or Alive games and the weapons of the Soul Calibur franchise. Maybe throw in some Fatalities from Mortal Kombat?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... Jun. 6th, 2010 @ 03:15 AM Reply

At 5/23/10 09:25 PM, squidly wrote:
it's just hit them until they go far enough to be outside the stage.
Street Fighter is just hit them until they die, even MORE easy.

You know what that's called? Fighting.

Not pushing.

BBS Signature
Soviet
Soviet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... Jun. 6th, 2010 @ 03:29 AM Reply

At 5/23/10 04:26 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 5/23/10 04:22 PM, squidly wrote: Into one, could it work?

I mean the big three as:

Super Smash Bros
This game is a joke in the fighting community.

Is it? Does that mean TF2 is a joke in the FPS/COD community?

Light
Light
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... Jun. 6th, 2010 @ 04:36 AM Reply

SSB is a fighting game. Hell, if you observed actual gameplay for 5 minutes, you'd naturally assume it was, and nothing else.

Wikipedia agrees with me here. :D

And no, don't say "Stfu noob WIkipedia can't be trusted lolz", you can look up SSB anywhere else on the web and every site will agre with Squidly, me, and Wikipedia. PWNED.

Combine The Three Big Fighters...

I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... Jun. 6th, 2010 @ 04:40 AM Reply

Oh my god

If the Ken's in Street Fighter could fucking juggle there would be no end to the Shoryuken Spam

Fuck no that would never work

Calcos
Calcos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... Jun. 6th, 2010 @ 05:40 AM Reply

Uh... no? People don't play "party" games competitively, like i dunno, mario party?

I held a Peggle tournament in our Gaming Club at parties. PEGGLE, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE. And you know what? It was rather fun! Yes, party games can be competitive. The question here is whether these games should be taken seriously in a professional gaming circuit. The answer is no.

SSB may have a large community, and to be honest, that's cool. Large communities usually help the game more than hurt it (unless that game is CoD). However, the community doesn't seem to understand that if they want serious competitive fighting, they would do well to move on to a far better system. Games like Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, etc. are much better suited to a competitive environment than SSB.

I will admit that SSB does have a very good purpose: as a gateway game. Most people that played SSBM many years ago (like myself) eventually moved on to more competitive, balanced fighters. I've been playing Street Fighter for almost 4 years now, and I will never go back to the giant fanservice platformer that is SSB.

Gamertag: Calcos323
Message me if you feel like playing my sorry ass in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, SSF4, or SSF2T HDRemix.

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 04:18 AM Reply

So since SSB is different it can't be a Fighting game and SF defines all fighting games?
Also what the fuck would you classify it as instead of a Fighting game, an adventure game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES

JingoJoe14
JingoJoe14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 05:04 AM Reply

Is Smash a party game? Well damn. I better consult the experts.

At 6/6/10 04:40 AM, TourneyFag1 wrote:

:Gee, a four player fighting game full of crazy items and eccentric characters/stages. Nah. lol Smash has always been a party game, always will. Not to say you can't make it what you want, as we all know it's very versitile in that fashion, moreso now than ever.

At 6/6/10 04:40 AM, TourneyFag2 wrote:

:Yeah, it's always been a a party game. Play it competitively if you want, but that doesn't change what it is.

:Yeah, it's always been a a party game. Play it competitively if you want, but that doesn't change what it is.

:Any game that supports four players could be considered a party game. I'd rather play Brawl then Mario Party 5,894 or whatever number they're on now.

So we seem to be in agreement in that department. Also, I know for a fact that Sakurai has called it one as well. So yeah, it's a Party Game.

Sorry?

Message me if you ever want to play SFIV or BlazBlue on XBOX Live!
I also enjoy Quake Live.

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 05:12 AM Reply

I don't even consider 'Party Game' a genre, more like a category of player capacity like single player, multiplayer, massively mutliplayer, etc.

So I would call SSB a fighting game, a very simplistic basic one but a fighting game no less. Certainly not one of the 'Big 3'. I would have put Virtua Fighter with its full controller interface or DOA with its wildly fluid battling and wonderful jiggle physics.

akmeteor
akmeteor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 07:38 AM Reply

ITT: SomaGuye becomes butt-hurt.

SSB is indeed a fighting game. I find it to be more entertaining then the ones where people choose Ryu and spam Hadokens.

Well.

Shit.

Balazeal
Balazeal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 09:07 AM Reply

At 5/23/10 07:55 PM, squidly wrote: But as a person who's played both Tekken and SF avidly
At 5/23/10 04:46 PM, squidly wrote: It's long ass in comparison to SSB, which all the moves are just a matter of A/B + a direction.
At 5/23/10 04:22 PM, squidly wrote: Then you would take the complex combo moves from Street Fighter, along with the super attacks, and jumping style.

Given that you think that Street Fighter moves are complex, and that they are "long ass" I doubt that you've really played Tekken. I can confirm that you haven't really played Tekken, with this

It's all about reversals, evading attacks, and landing your own, just liked real life.

Tekken is all about whoever can begin and complete the 10-hit combo first, there is none of this reversal evading crap, it's just a lot of juggling.

Anyway the idea was doomed from the start. The playing styles are completely different for each game. Tekken plus any of those two wouldn't work at all. Because Tekken is an 8 way fighting game and not a 2-D, the move list couldn't transfer over, in order for some of the moves to work, there needs to be a definitive "forward" and "back" position relative to the target. Maybe you could have it instead so it'd be relative to your own facing instead, but I think that might feel rather messy.

It is however, possible to combine (parts of) Street Fighter with SSB (maybe). Simply make the attacks slightly more complex (enough for a move list) lessen the gravity to put a greater emphasis on knocking out the enemy (rather than ringing out) and maaaaaaybe it could work.

And that's my 2 cents on the topic. Squidly and SomaGuye can keep on fighting now.

Also while Super Smash Brothers is not a fighting game in the traditional sense, one might contort
the definition of a fighting game to meet that of SSB. I personally classify it as pseudo-fighting
platforming game. Kinda like a liger....
RDSchley
RDSchley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 10:50 AM Reply

Marvel Vs. Capcom Vs. Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Vs. Nintendo.

There, thats the ultimate fighting game.

It is ok to make fun of America. But if you make fun of any other country in a vague or joking way you get banned.

fawnret
fawnret
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 02:29 PM Reply

I've always thought of smash bros as a fighter, just with a different style.

It's different then all the other fighting games, but it's still about fighting non the less.

Gamertag: Catspirit123
home forum

BBS Signature
Crink
Crink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Combine The Three Big Fighters... Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 02:51 PM Reply

LETS ASK WIKIPEDIA FOR HELP

Party games are video games developed specifically for multiplayer games between many players. Normally, party games have a variety of different types of mini-games that range between collecting more of a certain item than other players or having the fastest time at something. Such games include the Mario Party series, Crash Boom Bang!, and the Rayman Raving Rabbids series. Versus multiplayer games are not generally considered to be party games.

Fighting games emphasize one-on-one combat between two characters, one of which may be computer controlled. These games are usually played by linking together long chains of button presses on the controller to use physical attacks to fight. Many of the movements employed by the characters are usually dramatic and occasionally physically impossible. Combat is almost always one-on-one,[6] though there are some exceptions such as the Super Smash Bros. series and Guilty Gear Isuka, pitting up to four combatants in the fight at one time

Wait what, wikipedia makes my head hurt with these nonsensical contradictions

hey

BBS Signature