New Topic Respond to this Topic
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq 2010-10-27 22:53:36 Reply

Well I am from California in the Pacific (UTC-8) timezone so I am 8 hours behind the UK. I would like to be a judge however. What are the qualifications?

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good! Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq 2010-10-29 00:19:11 Reply

At 10/26/10 08:22 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 10/23/10 03:04 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: Could work well. I'm in the North American Eastern timezone.
Excellent. So, who else is up for judging in November / December? I want to make this work, so people need to show some enthusiasm as well :)

Also, don't think I'll be on much during the week days. I'm mostly settling for Weekend evenings for online time.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq 2010-10-29 06:15:12 Reply

At 10/26/10 11:08 PM, funnyhomeboy wrote: College and schoolwork has drained any sign of life and/or outside action for this current time. GPA first, newground's writing contests second. Maybe in the future, but I DO have a solid week to relax after X-mas.

Well, if you're able to judge an entry per week while the contest is active, then finish it all off over the Xmas break, then all for the better. I'm aiming to get the results for the new contest released around New year '11, along with a new contest. I've had a wake up call, but I need inspiration for new contests in the New Year.

While I loved the Mark Twain contest, I'll have to work on getting the first chapter of 500 words or so written and edited, so it would work. I have some ideas for there, but it's not available for the immediate future.

Also, we have a list of judges approaching completion for November / December:

Coop
Deathcon7
sinfulwolf
funnyhomeboy (maybe)

At 10/27/10 10:53 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: Well I am from California in the Pacific (UTC-8) timezone so I am 8 hours behind the UK. I would like to be a judge however. What are the qualifications?

Generally, I don't think too many qualifications can really be looked at - I'd like to see well thought out BBS posts, a bit of their own writing (which you certainly fulfil) and enthusiasm. If you're up for it, we could be looking at a set of judges for this contest.

Now all I've got to do is close July's contest, before setting this ball in motion. I'm getting there, but a cold for the past few days has set me back a day or three. I can do this though!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey News #StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq 2010-10-29 19:49:36 Reply

Yeah, I've got college too, but I have alot of free time. I'm for it though.

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good! Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
RabidSquirrelStudios
RabidSquirrelStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq 2010-11-07 15:46:27 Reply

I'd like to know if I could help on judging. I placed in MWC June, if that counts for anything, and I'd prefer being able to critique other people's faults rather than have mine pointed out. Just kidding, but I do think I could be a valuable addition to the judging team. I got plenty of time.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq 2010-11-07 15:50:28 Reply

At 11/7/10 03:46 PM, RabidSquirrelStudios wrote: I'd like to know if I could help on judging. I placed in MWC June, if that counts for anything, and I'd prefer being able to critique other people's faults rather than have mine pointed out. Just kidding, but I do think I could be a valuable addition to the judging team. I got plenty of time.

Excellent, though we do have enough judges for this contest. Perhaps if you do some reviews for the entries in June and July's contests while you wait and perhaps even for the November contest, you'll be in good stead for a new contest around January :)

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey News #StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
RabidSquirrelStudios
RabidSquirrelStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq 2010-11-09 00:10:51 Reply

At 11/7/10 03:50 PM, Coop83 wrote:
Excellent, though we do have enough judges for this contest. Perhaps if you do some reviews for the entries in June and July's contests while you wait and perhaps even for the November contest, you'll be in good stead for a new contest around January :)

Sure. Should I send them to you?

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq 2010-11-09 07:22:41 Reply

At 11/9/10 12:10 AM, RabidSquirrelStudios wrote:

I suggest putting the reviews somewhere more public. Such as the discussion thread for whichever contest you are offering reviews for.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq 2010-11-09 08:12:38 Reply

At 11/9/10 12:10 AM, RabidSquirrelStudios wrote:
At 11/7/10 03:50 PM, Coop83 wrote:

Either posting them in the discussion threads, as sinfulwolf says, or sending a PM to the author in question.

Personally, I'd favour the posting of them in the discussion or results threads, as that way, people can see what you think of the works and it keeps it all relative to the other pieces that were submitted.

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq 2011-01-01 08:35:32 Reply

Judges for November / December, I require some reporting back in with scores, so we can progress.

I also require judges for the new contest. Let me know via PM please.

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq 2011-01-01 13:01:34 Reply

Who are the judges for the Jan/Feb competition? If none I'd like to be one of them please

BBS Signature