New Topic Respond to this Topic
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Aug. 9th, 2010 @ 03:15 AM Reply

I finished judging a couple days ago and now I'm eager to see the winners. I'd like to know if I was agreed with.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Aug. 9th, 2010 @ 03:45 AM Reply

At 8/8/10 07:47 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: Nor is he correct to, following his argument draw such a conclusion, that we create time.

Ah, but this is the amazing thing about writing, my friend. Regardless of whether or not we subscribe to the ideas that have been floated, we cannot arbitrarily mark someone down for having based their tales around them, otherwise we'd have written off classical tales, such as Clash of the Titans, as they believed in the Ancient Greek Pantheon.

A dicey subject, I know, but run with it and see what else you find in the story. Sure, you might mark it down a little, as you have trouble with the concept, but don't be too harsh, as we're trying to deal with the quality of the writing, the quality of the setting and other parts of the tale, not just the overlying factor, if you get what I mean

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Aug. 17th, 2010 @ 03:00 AM Reply

At 8/17/10 01:28 AM, Grubby wrote: So... It's been like the whole summer... wheres the awards thread.

Perhaps still awaiting to come out. I'm working my way through the July entries, just as I'm sure the others for July are. June is soon to come I don't doubt. Be patient, some of the judges have work, family and lives outside of this little place. Judging is not their job, nor do they really get any credit for it.

Be patient.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Aug. 19th, 2010 @ 09:25 PM Reply

I think there should be a short story contest *2000 words max* about the imagery that comes to mind from certain songs here on Newgrounds. This guy, for instance, has some wonderful music that I think would provide some very interesting stories about all sorts of things. The contestant would be able to choose from any of his songs, and write about whatever he wanted to, as long as it matches the song and matches the # of words criteria.

ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Aug. 19th, 2010 @ 09:42 PM Reply

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think we've already had a contest like that. Pick a song from the audio portal and write a story about it.

I'll try to find the thread.

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature
MWC9
MWC9
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Aug. 19th, 2010 @ 10:27 PM Reply

At 8/19/10 09:42 PM, ThePortalGuru wrote: Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think we've already had a contest like that. Pick a song from the audio portal and write a story about it.

It was the July 2009 Contest - Scintilating Sounds.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Aug. 19th, 2010 @ 10:43 PM Reply

Well hell lets make another! :P

notlob88
notlob88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Aug. 20th, 2010 @ 10:15 AM Reply

Has there been a contest where, instead of basing it on a song, we could write a story based on something in the art portal? It could be art or a sculpture, but it should be original.

"The palindrome for Bolton is Notlob."--John Cleese, MPFC

ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Aug. 20th, 2010 @ 12:24 PM Reply

At 8/20/10 10:15 AM, notlob88 wrote: Has there been a contest where, instead of basing it on a song, we could write a story based on something in the art portal? It could be art or a sculpture, but it should be original.

I think that's actually be a great idea, seeing as the Art Portal is a fairly recent addition.

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Aug. 28th, 2010 @ 12:33 PM Reply

At 8/26/10 03:44 PM, Grubby wrote: So I wrote my story in May before school ended, and now school's about to start.

Take a chill pill man - Real Life > Newgrounds, I'm afraid. I am working on clearing the backlog and I've got to come up with another contest for September, though I may skip, as Tom's running the Madness competition, but I'm undecided at present.

Ideas would help and be appreciated, as would volunteers for judging. You would need to be free during OCTOBER 2010 for this.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Aug. 28th, 2010 @ 03:46 PM Reply

I think it is time that a writing contest was devoted to the beautiful writing forum called the essay.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Aug. 28th, 2010 @ 03:56 PM Reply

At 8/28/10 03:46 PM, TrevorW wrote: I think it is time that a writing contest was devoted to the beautiful writing forum called the essay.

Ah, non fiction - How would you set it up? Make people write a free form report for a Newspaper, Blog, Website or related media and if they wish to include pictures, one per post, to cope with the NGBBS limitations?

This could be very wide ranging, since people might need some sort of tether to keep them in line, so that the judges aren't bombarded with entries from too wide a brief. Still, I think it's worth considering.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 03:53 PM Reply

At 8/28/10 03:56 PM, Coop83 wrote:
At 8/28/10 03:46 PM, TrevorW wrote: I think it is time that a writing contest was devoted to the beautiful writing forum called the essay.
Ah, non fiction - How would you set it up? Make people write a free form report for a Newspaper, Blog, Website or related media and if they wish to include pictures, one per post, to cope with the NGBBS limitations?

This could be very wide ranging, since people might need some sort of tether to keep them in line, so that the judges aren't bombarded with entries from too wide a brief. Still, I think it's worth considering.

I would suggest that you do what colleges do: give the masses three prompts and allow them to choose. However they must relate certain criteria inside of that prompt. Also make the word limit 500 words to add that extra level. A short an informative essay is truly something that everyone needs to be able to write, but it is also one of the most difficult things to write well.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 04:50 PM Reply

Essays > Stories.

We should keep it fun.

EternitySpent
EternitySpent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Melancholy
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 06:14 PM Reply

I think a personal essay would be an interesting idea.

Research and citations are unnecessary; and there is still the opportunity to blur the lines of truth slightly with embellishment and fiction, as most (good) personal essays are not always entirely earnest. Most importantly, personal essays are a tad less rigid structurally, because as an English Major I would find the prospect of writing a standard informative essay in my leisure time horrifyingly unappealing.

A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with weed is better.

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 06:21 PM Reply

I think a personal essay is a wonderful idea.

BBS Signature
Abuelodigital17
Abuelodigital17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Artist
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Sep. 3rd, 2010 @ 08:20 AM Reply

I have another idea for a contest: left field description.

I hear voices... and they don't like you
Take a look, leave a comment and whatnot. | Peer support crew. | MA crew.

BBS Signature
RapeMuffin
RapeMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Sep. 3rd, 2010 @ 04:05 PM Reply

I have an idea for a Writing Contest - it's an idea that Mark Twain tried to organize, but it never succeeded (as far as I'm aware).

What Twain would do is write the first half of a story, leaving the characters and plot as general as possible - but still giving the story a definite structure and sufficient intrigue.

Then he would send the unfinished story to other great writers of the time and request that each of them finish the story in their own style and with their own twist. So, in the end, the plan was to have a collection of stories, all with the same beginning, but each with a vastly different conclusion.

I would love to have that on NG, where everyone starts out with the same character(s), setting and vague plotline, and each of us has to complete the story in their own unique way.

BBS Signature
Abuelodigital17
Abuelodigital17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Artist
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Sep. 3rd, 2010 @ 04:18 PM Reply

At 9/3/10 04:05 PM, RapeMuffin wrote:

Seconded.

I hear voices... and they don't like you
Take a look, leave a comment and whatnot. | Peer support crew. | MA crew.

BBS Signature
funnyhomeboy
funnyhomeboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Sep. 5th, 2010 @ 12:43 PM Reply

At 9/3/10 04:18 PM, Abuelodigital17 wrote:
At 9/3/10 04:05 PM, RapeMuffin wrote:
Seconded.

Thirded.

I put the BS in BBS.

BBS Signature
notlob88
notlob88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Sep. 8th, 2010 @ 10:32 AM Reply

I know this dead horse has been beaten to a pulp, but when will the July results be in? I know the judges have lives outside of NG. I just want to know to have some closure. If I didn't win, fine; congrats to whoever did. Please, judges, if I weren't in a public place, I'd be on my knees begging. Please???

"The palindrome for Bolton is Notlob."--John Cleese, MPFC

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Sep. 8th, 2010 @ 08:16 PM Reply

At 9/8/10 10:32 AM, notlob88 wrote: I know this dead horse has been beaten to a pulp, but when will the July results be in? I know the judges have lives outside of NG. I just want to know to have some closure. If I didn't win, fine; congrats to whoever did. Please, judges, if I weren't in a public place, I'd be on my knees begging. Please???

The June scores havn't even been released to my knowledge, so please be patient. I've finished my own scoring of the July contest, and it has taken my awhile due to many real life issues. Please be patient as real life takes priority over Newgrounds.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Sep. 20th, 2010 @ 01:31 PM Reply

At 9/20/10 09:10 AM, Grubby wrote: LOL I'm going to lose all hope if the results aren't out by October.

Right, I'm going to have to 'fess up here - I've just got too much damned work to do and I've had a full diary for the past few months, leaving me not even enough time to get to the end of the June judging.

For that, I'm sorry. I cannot continue running the contests and being one of the judges. I will still launch them and moderate them, if people are willing to put in more work, to get them off the ground and judged.

Perhaps it was the fact that when all of the scores came in for the June scores, we had 9 or 10 people competing for the 5 places, which was quite an experience. I would suggest that we combat this by gathering together on some sort of chat, having a few drinks and talking about who should win, as a panel, as once everyone has read them, the pieces can be better discussed, but that's a big pipe dream, to be honest.

If someone wants to use this thread to expand upon the Mark Twain idea, feel free, I can launch it as October's contest, no trouble. Then we could make it a double whammy and have Halowe'en as another part.

Still, I'll leave it up to you guys and get away from procrastination.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
JerryAntares
JerryAntares
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Sep. 23rd, 2010 @ 09:03 AM Reply

A panel actually sounds more possible than you'd think, at least to me.

The judges can convene and decide on a meet in typewith.me or google wave and come to a consensus. It's the best way to rid ourselves of this backlog.

Coop, you can also appoint another judge to go over everything in your stead, since you've already noted how busy you are.

The saddest aspect of man is that at the times that when he must act like a human most is when he completely abandons his humanity. Unknown Writer, Late 22nd Century

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 12:25 AM Reply

typewithme and a set date would be the best way to do such a panel.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Oct. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:59 AM Reply

At 9/23/10 09:03 AM, JerryAntares wrote: Coop, you can also appoint another judge to go over everything in your stead, since you've already noted how busy you are.

Well, I'm working on it. The strange thing is that I might have actually found a way to cope with this and stay on track. So long as I can get the results posted by the end of the month, I can continue running the show for the short term. It would be 6 weeks for submissions, 2 weeks for judging, as I'll be judging while entries are still being submitted.

Now, if anyone wants to audition for judging over Xmas 2010 (December would need to have gaps in your schedules, as I want to get the results up by New Year's Day. I'll be hopeful to launch it by November 1st, but we'll see.

Thanks for all of the support, but we still need inspiration for competitions and people requesting to judge. When I get the results, I want every single entry ranked 1-x, where x is the total number of entries, so that I can cope with the variation in judges.

Also, I am hoping to be able to create a Stickam private chat room for the judges, so that we can discuss the entries a little more, to resolve any ties and so forth, but it should be better. Please advise me of your time zone. I am GMT, for the UK, so bear that in mind, as I'm 5 hours up on Eastern.

Who's up for it?

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Oct. 23rd, 2010 @ 03:04 PM Reply

Could work well. I'm in the North American Eastern timezone.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Oct. 26th, 2010 @ 08:22 AM Reply

At 10/23/10 03:04 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: Could work well. I'm in the North American Eastern timezone.

Excellent. So, who else is up for judging in November / December? I want to make this work, so people need to show some enthusiasm as well :)

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Oct. 26th, 2010 @ 08:26 AM Reply

Eastern US/Canada: UTC - 5

I'm ready to judge.

funnyhomeboy
funnyhomeboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Monthly Writing Contests - Hq Oct. 26th, 2010 @ 11:08 PM Reply

College and schoolwork has drained any sign of life and/or outside action for this current time. GPA first, newground's writing contests second. Maybe in the future, but I DO have a solid week to relax after X-mas.

So, I suppose I'll throw my application for judge into the mix. I have an extensive amount of knowledge into the English language, sentence structure, style, and fluency, along with the literary arts. I aspire to become a future independant (or smaller company) game designer. It would be fun to dip my hand in the review and processes of being a judge.

Thanks!

I put the BS in BBS.

BBS Signature