BBS Signature
aap
aap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Animator
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 1st, 2010 @ 10:02 PM Reply

I was waiting for like an hour when Tom showed up for the awards. At the first glance of him my computer shut down so I missed the whole thing, haha.

Congrats to all the winners!

BBS Signature
mysticmonkey2
mysticmonkey2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 1st, 2010 @ 11:53 PM Reply

You know this means that two out of three best movie awards have gone to Australians? :)

Anyway, congratulations to all the winners.

CritcalOne
CritcalOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 12:20 AM Reply

'Grats to all of the winners.
That was tight,though.

Moved to new account.

BBS Signature
someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 01:40 AM Reply

Congrats to all the winners.

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

Ship
Ship
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 01:42 AM Reply

I'm so glad Tarboy won. It was by far the best movie of the year. And User of the Year actually really surprised me. But congratulations to all the winners, it's a great honor.

sixflab
sixflab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 03:19 AM Reply

Congrats to all the winners. Your great work really helps keep us busy and entertained.

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:32 AM Reply

You can tell that the admins care about NG's audio community from their pick for musician of the year.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
EventHorizon
EventHorizon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Game Developer
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:32 AM Reply

Congratulations to all the winners!

[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]
[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature
maxvm
maxvm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Filmmaker
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 06:35 AM Reply

Already saw it, but yes. He did a good job. And I'm happy for all of the winners.

Visiting Newgrounds Since 2003

BBS Signature
CatFat
CatFat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Animator
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 07:24 AM Reply

At 5/1/10 02:35 PM, RoboJesus wrote: They're all failures in my eyes.

HAHA wooooow, that made me laugh....you sound like my uncle...

PSN ID: CatFatNG
Xbox Gamertag: CatFatNG

BBS Signature
razorbladesigh
razorbladesigh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 10:47 AM Reply

At 5/2/10 05:32 AM, Rig wrote: You can tell that the admins care about NG's audio community from their pick for musician of the year.

Is somebody a little sore?

|1.|2.|3.|

BBS Signature
jbown345
jbown345
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 12:17 PM Reply

Level up should not have won.

Fuck-division
Fuck-division
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 12:32 PM Reply

Bullshit, Time Fcuk was best game. Hell, I think miami shark would beat level up, that mediocre piece of shit game.

Jonas
Jonas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 01:03 PM Reply

I sure enjoy Level Up.

Need a hot dicking?
JonasATnewgrounds.com
I do voices.

OdHero
OdHero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 01:15 PM Reply

Good stuff, Level Up was sweet, probably my favourite this year, not sure why people disliking it winning.

Here to another good year, hope there's more games with good stories to them too.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 01:18 PM Reply

At 5/2/10 05:32 AM, Rig wrote: You can tell that the admins care about NG's audio community from their pick for musician of the year.

Yes, you speak for all of our opinions. I can tell you that I do care about the vast majority of the audio community, but care less for the minority of it who are constantly negative about everything that happens, including you.

The behaviour of some of the audio people in the lounge thread is just despicable, and those of you who have all made such harsh comments should all be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 01:27 PM Reply

At 5/2/10 01:18 PM, liljim wrote: The behaviour of some of the audio people in the lounge thread is just despicable, and those of you who have all made such harsh comments should all be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.

Yeah wtf. I sort of agree with their opinion that Hania might not be the best choice - they seem to view it as an award for the audio portal and forum contributions, whereas it appears hania won purely based on her musical contributions? - but wow they approached it totally the wrong way. Thankfully the Audio portal isn't that big of a part of Newgrounds because if these people represented Newgrounds while acting like that...

:-\

blubfaceproduction
blubfaceproduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 01:56 PM Reply

yay to all the winners! but when do you think we're gonna go back to the regular Ng instead of Pico? I mean, it's only been 3 days, but still.

BBS Signature
Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 02:35 PM Reply

Alright, I'll make my post in here seeing as how I'm probably the root cause of 90% of the complaints coming out of the audio forum. First off, you guys don't give half a flying shit about the audio portal. We had a thread a while back over who really deserved that award and you'll notice that hania wasn't mentioned once.

Fuck it, nathanallenpinard was recently featured in disneys frog princess and he still gets close to nothing for having a professional resume.

You guys at newgrounds may have worked your asses off to make an audio portal but you guys do nothing to try and fix it.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

InnerChild548
InnerChild548
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 02:39 PM Reply

Congrats to all the winners.

BBS Signature
Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 03:37 PM Reply

Congrats to the winners!!

Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 04:38 PM Reply

How Tarboy is considered a better flash work than Last of the Dashkin is beyond me. Kinda sad really, because it's not even close to being as good. The only reason it won is because Adam Phillips won the award before, and god forbid someone win it more than once.

As for the audio side of things being discussed above, I find it really sad an admin is calling out Rig for being the "negative" part of the community. If you spent more than 5 minutes in the audio portal you'd realize he is one of the few people there that makes the audio portal function, even in it's less than perfect system.

It's really a waste to give the award to Hania. She hasn't spent more than 5 minutes with the community, and most of her work is simply vocals. It is just really discouraging that the award goes to someone who just happened to get their music in a popular flash. Because that really doesn't define the musician of the year. They should change the name of the award to "Audio contribution of the year" if this is how it's going to be judged. Because truth be told, Hania is far from deserving of the title "Musician of the Year."

It's not that the audio community wishes to be negative all the time. But the award wasn't even close to being representative of the best musician last year. And if this wasn't so, then the entire audio community wouldn't be all bent out of shape over it.

So really, calling out Rig is really stupid. Congrats, you are an admin and your opinions matter more than the rest of us. No need to rub it in by being a dick on top of that to the few people that are actually trying to make the audio portal better. (Such as Rig) Which is far more than can be said for the admins.

BBS Signature
RYNOL
RYNOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Audiophile
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 04:58 PM Reply

At 5/2/10 01:18 PM, liljim wrote:
Yes, you speak for all of our opinions. I can tell you that I do care about the vast majority of the audio community, but care less for the minority of it who are constantly negative about everything that happens, including you.

The behaviour of some of the audio people in the lounge thread is just despicable, and those of you who have all made such harsh comments should all be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.

I know you're an admin and all and I have shit load of respect for you. But I have to say that you are a bit wrong. While Rig did come off a bit negative, he has a point you know. I'm sure everyone at NG care about the audio portal, but you have to listen a bit to the community. And Rig is part of that community. I know you can't change your picks now, but at least don't act like a dick when someone else expresses their opinion on the matter.

I need a sig.
PSN: gowow20

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:01 PM Reply

At 5/2/10 04:38 PM, Gravey wrote: How Tarboy is considered a better flash work than Last of the Dashkin is beyond me. Kinda sad really, because it's not even close to being as good. The only reason it won is because Adam Phillips won the award before, and god forbid someone win it more than once.

I preferred Tarboy. Maybe this is a concept that you can't handle and I apologise to you if it is, but the quality of a submission is not based on the time it took to create, the skill of the creator and/or the length of it. I personally felt that Tarboy provided an overall better experience than the last of the dashkin did. Sure, I think that last of the dashkin was animated better, but the overall production of Tarboy was much better, audio, story telling... the quality of the animation is not what makes a movie.

As for the audio side of things being discussed above, I find it really sad an admin is calling out Rig for being the "negative" part of the community. If you spent more than 5 minutes in the audio portal you'd realize he is one of the few people there that makes the audio portal function, even in it's less than perfect system.

I'm pretty sure liljim expressed disdain towards the attitudes presented by participants in the threads in the audio forum, not to those people specifically.

Because truth be told, Hania is far from deserving of the title "Musician of the Year."

I totally agree IF the criteria is "The person who contributed the most to the community" but has the criteria been defined anywhere? I don't think it has. How can you assume that "musician of the year" does account for community contributions and isn't solely based on their musical contributions? Did rig contribute more than hania to the audio community here last year? of course, was the music that he created and how it was used better than hania? that's purely opinion.

To complain when you don't know what the award is for is silly. A musician to me is someone who creates music, someone who contributes to the community is entirely different. Maybe save your complaints for when you know what the award was for and whether or not it's supposed to account for community contributions.

So really, calling out Rig is really stupid. Congrats, you are an admin and your opinions matter more than the rest of us. No need to rub it in by being a dick on top of that to the few people that are actually trying to make the audio portal better. (Such as Rig) Which is far more than can be said for the admins.

pro-tip: If you want to be taken seriously, don't be a dick about it. You'll be lucky if liljim replies to you, not because his opinion is any more important than yours, but because you approached that with the worst possible attitude. If you want the audio community to be taken seriously why don't you keep your panties untwisted and pose your complaints/criticisms to the administration privately and help them understand why it's an issue for you before you start moaning like a bitch in public?

Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:47 PM Reply

At 5/2/10 05:01 PM, citricsquid wrote:
At 5/2/10 04:38 PM, Gravey wrote:
I preferred Tarboy. Maybe this is a concept that you can't handle and I apologise to you if it is, but the quality of a submission is not based on the time it took to create, the skill of the creator and/or the length of it.

Fair enough. But I don't see how it is harmful to say I preferred Last of the Dashkin. It doesn't mean I don't understand the fact that the award shouldn't go to the flash that took the longest to create, it just means I prefer Last of the Dashkin. In my opinion it was far superior. No reason to attack me personally. Which you seem to be doing in this entire response.

I'm pretty sure liljim expressed disdain towards the attitudes presented by participants in the threads in the audio forum, not to those people specifically.

He flat out called out Rig and said he was a part of the negative side of the audio community. That is unacceptable considering Rig is one of, if not the most consistent audio mod. If not for Rig, I'm not sure how the audio portal would even survive to be honest. The other audio mods are great, but Rig is the one that really helps to keep things under control. And to say he is a part of the negative audio community is far from acceptable from an admin.

Because truth be told, Hania is far from deserving of the title "Musician of the Year."
I totally agree IF the criteria is "The person who contributed the most to the community" but has the criteria been defined anywhere? I don't think it has. How can you assume that "musician of the year" does account for community contributions and isn't solely based on their musical contributions? Did rig contribute more than hania to the audio community here last year? of course, was the music that he created and how it was used better than hania? that's purely opinion.

The award is not given to the person who writes the most high quality submission on Newgrounds. It goes to whoever gets their music in the most popular flash. Which is part of why the audio community is so upset. We have people who write music for Disney, so how would someone like Hania even have a chance?

This went to her because she had a song or two in very popular flash submissions. So to be honest, the award should be called "Best audio contribution in a flash." This is not a put down from me, but just an honest assessment. I have no problem with giving out this sort of award, but to do so and say it went to the "Musician of the year" is disingenuous.

I do believe that the fact her music was used in a popular flash should count towards the final selection. But in this case it was the only criteria used. And that is not a true representation of who was the "Musician of the year" in the audio portal. Just who got lucky enough to land the best flash job.

To complain when you don't know what the award is for is silly. A musician to me is someone who creates music, someone who contributes to the community is entirely different. Maybe save your complaints for when you know what the award was for and whether or not it's supposed to account for community contributions.

I think I just showed I have a knowledge on what the award is for. And not only that, I think I labeled it more correctly than those giving it out. Don't attack me just because I am giving an opinion with a little bit of insight to back it up. I'm not ranting, nor raving. Just stating some facts and logical assumptions on what I've seen.

Also, I never said that the person who contributes most to the audio community should win the award. But at the same time, it should be put into a little bit of consideration because the truth be told you can only become a better musician by immersing yourself within a community of other musicians. And by doing so you can even better show your talents.

pro-tip: If you want to be taken seriously, don't be a dick about it. You'll be lucky if liljim replies to you, not because his opinion is any more important than yours, but because you approached that with the worst possible attitude. If you want the audio community to be taken seriously why don't you keep your panties untwisted and pose your complaints/criticisms to the administration privately and help them understand why it's an issue for you before you start moaning like a bitch in public?

Pro-tip: Don't use the phrase "pro-tip" when attempting to "drop knowledge" on someone's ass. It makes you look arrogant and foolish.

As for a response to your last paragraph. I'm not sure why you are attacking me personally. I'm not being a dick. And I'm not expecting a reply from the omnipotent liljim, because he is all powerful and sees all obviously according to you. It would definitely be the honor of my life if he replied without a doubt.

Pull your lips off his dick, you might find the taste of clean air refreshing.

I did not approach this with the worst possible attitude. I said that liljim calling Rig the negative part of the audio community a sad thing because Rig is one of the guys that makes the audio portal work in a semi-productive fashion. Also, I stand by my points made about how the award is not really given to the "Musician of the year", but rather to the artist who gets their music in the most popular flash submissions.

As for sending criticisms in a private message, liljim didn't send his criticism of Rig in a private forum. He let the entire site see that he thinks Rig is a negative part of the audio community. And all Rig said was what every single person in the audio community is thinking. If pms to the admins got anything resolved, then this entire situation wouldn't have even come to fruition. Don't make me out to be some horrible bad guy. I posted an opinion, backed up with a logical reasoning for my beliefs. Attacking me personally like you did above is shameful, and really just kinda proves how little the audio community is respected.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 06:02 PM Reply

I agree that I thought tarboy should win - I thoroughly enjoyed it - and adam phillips has been coasting on success for a long time - it's nice to see a new person getting the spotlight.

As for the reactions from the audio community I understand their anger, confusion and frustration, but to publicly bash hania like that is like what kanye west did to carrie underwood..

I dunno.. I tire of all this.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
PikaRobo
PikaRobo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 06:15 PM Reply

I'm kind of disappointed William and Sly wasn't mentioned. But those 2 deserved to win. Awkward top 5 lists though.

BBS Signature
Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 06:18 PM Reply

At 5/2/10 06:02 PM, Chronamut wrote: As for the reactions from the audio community I understand their anger, confusion and frustration, but to publicly bash hania like that is like what kanye west did to carrie underwood..

I hope I didn't come across as this sort of person. My intent wasn't to bash Hania herself, but really just to sort of explain why it is a lot of the audio community feels the way they do. And also to show how the award is either misrepresented in title, or was given to someone who doesn't fit the title currently given. Because so far it seems like a lot of the audio community has been responding through emotions, and its causing people to think we are all just a bunch of slobbering whiny children.

I am still kind of bothered by an admin saying our hardest working audio mod is a negative influence on the audio community though. Considering the forums would fail entirely without the mods that an admin would either bite his tongue, or say something in private.

BBS Signature
Offgore
Offgore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Tank Awards, Winners Video May. 2nd, 2010 @ 06:31 PM Reply

Ever since 2007: The staff stopped giving two shits about the audio portal and the COMMUNITY.

Ever since 2010: I would just let the audio forum, and the audio portal get out of control. I hope other people such as Rig, Gravey, nathan, etc would take this step.. and show that the staff really needs this community....