New Topic Respond to this Topic
Samen
Samen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Aug. 30th, 2010 @ 08:27 PM Reply

Thought I'd freshen the thread up with what little new info is left circulating about Black Ops.
So apparently Treyarch did an interview with "The Official Nintendo Magazine" (which is apparently different and legally distinct from "Nintendo Power"), where they heavily pumped up the Wii version of Black Ops. They very nearly confirmed that it will, like Call of Duty 4 before it, be identical in terms of content to it's PS3 / 360 / PC brethren.
They also dropped the world's most majorest hints that they're happily ditching the IW3 engine that powered the Wii versions of World at War and Modern Warfare (it was also very likely responsible for the framerate issues in the later), and have decided to build it from the ground up on an engine more suited to the Wii's limited hardware environment.
They bragged that the visuals will "blow you away", and that "you wont believe this is running on the Wii".
However, this brings up two very important question. Just which engine is being used, and how come, if the Wii version is in fact being taken seriously this time, Activision's own highly publicized GoldenEye is being released the very same week as Black Ops?
Let's talk about the engine, first. There seem to be three possible options. The first is that the game will be running on the same engine quietly powering the new GoldenEye title. From a business standpoint, it wouldn't be hard for Activision to get their hands on it and lend it to Treyarch, as they are obviously publishing the only known game it was used in. It's also very gorgeous; it can handle high poly-count models, renders textures well, and has purportedly fantastic performance, even in 4 player split screen mode. The second, less likely option is that they are using a licensed and modified version of High Voltage's Quantum3 engine, which powered The Conduit and the upcoming Conduit 2. It sports high poly-count models, fantastic lighting effects, and great water and particle effects, and great performance. However, the few leaked screens of Conduit 2's local multiplayer show it has pretty severe issues rendering 4 different screens at once. High Voltage even said that the engine was not used to it's full potential in The Conduit, and that they were also looking to license it out to anyone who was interested, so it's certainly an option. The third, and least likely option is that Treyarch is building a new engine from the ground up. This is unlikely do to the fact that Treyarch typically uses preexisting engines to power it's Call of Duty games .Call of Duty 3 on the Wii used the same engine and assets as the PS2 version, and World at War, Black Ops, and Modern Warfare Reflex all used modified IW3 engines, the same that first appeared in Infinity Ward's Call of Duty 4.
Now, about the conflicting release dates. If the Wii version of Black Ops releases as scheduled, it will directly compete with and cannibalize the sales of GoldenEye, and vice versa. My prediction is that the Wii version will get pushed back, either closer to Christmas or to Summer 2011. After all, if it's such a big production, there would be more prerelease screenshots, videos, trailers, and interviews than there is. They're also most likely not finished if their decision to switch engines was not managed well and ate up a lot of time.

Samen
Samen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Aug. 30th, 2010 @ 09:27 PM Reply

At 8/30/10 08:27 PM, Samen wrote: Thought I'd freshen the thread up with what little new info is left circulating about Black Ops.
So apparently Treyarch did an interview with "The Official Nintendo Magazine" (which is apparently different and legally distinct from "Nintendo Power"), where they heavily pumped up the Wii version of Black Ops. They very nearly confirmed that it will, like Call of Duty 4 before it, be identical in terms of content to it's PS3 / 360 / PC brethren.
They also dropped the world's most majorest hints that they're happily ditching the IW3 engine that powered the Wii versions of World at War and Modern Warfare (it was also very likely responsible for the framerate issues in the later), and have decided to build it from the ground up on an engine more suited to the Wii's limited hardware environment.
They bragged that the visuals will "blow you away", and that "you wont believe this is running on the Wii".
However, this brings up two very important question. Just which engine is being used, and how come, if the Wii version is in fact being taken seriously this time, Activision's own highly publicized GoldenEye is being released the very same week as Black Ops?
Let's talk about the engine, first. There seem to be three possible options. The first is that the game will be running on the same engine quietly powering the new GoldenEye title. From a business standpoint, it wouldn't be hard for Activision to get their hands on it and lend it to Treyarch, as they are obviously publishing the only known game it was used in. It's also very gorgeous; it can handle high poly-count models, renders textures well, and has purportedly fantastic performance, even in 4 player split screen mode. The second, less likely option is that they are using a licensed and modified version of High Voltage's Quantum3 engine, which powered The Conduit and the upcoming Conduit 2. It sports high poly-count models, fantastic lighting effects, and great water and particle effects, and great performance. However, the few leaked screens of Conduit 2's local multiplayer show it has pretty severe issues rendering 4 different screens at once. High Voltage even said that the engine was not used to it's full potential in The Conduit, and that they were also looking to license it out to anyone who was interested, so it's certainly an option. The third, and least likely option is that Treyarch is building a new engine from the ground up. This is unlikely do to the fact that Treyarch typically uses preexisting engines to power it's Call of Duty games .Call of Duty 3 on the Wii used the same engine and assets as the PS2 version, and World at War, Black Ops, and Modern Warfare Reflex all used modified IW3 engines, the same that first appeared in Infinity Ward's Call of Duty 4.
Now, about the conflicting release dates. If the Wii version of Black Ops releases as scheduled, it will directly compete with and cannibalize the sales of GoldenEye, and vice versa. My prediction is that the Wii version will get pushed back, either closer to Christmas or to Summer 2011. After all, if it's such a big production, there would be more prerelease screenshots, videos, trailers, and interviews than there is. They're also most likely not finished if their decision to switch engines was not managed well and ate up a lot of time.

Oh, and here's some relevant links that I totally maybe forgot about.
The original article on ONM
The Wikipedia page for the IW engine.
High Voltage Software's Wikipedia page (with a paragraph on the Quantum3 Engine)
Some examples of the Quantum3 Engine
And the new GoldenEye, for comparison.

kittehg0d
kittehg0d
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Aug. 30th, 2010 @ 09:59 PM Reply

At 8/14/10 09:33 PM, Liquify wrote: The more I see from this game the more I hate it.

It looks so stupid.

RC cars as bombs? What the fuck is that shit. That isn't fucking war.

/inb4theywereactuallyusedhereisthevidtop roveit

LOLOLOLOL OMG RCBKARRRRS AZZZZZZZZ A KS LOLOLOL DIS GAYM WELL SUXXXX

BBS Signature
Samen
Samen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Aug. 30th, 2010 @ 10:59 PM Reply

At 8/30/10 09:59 PM, kittehg0d wrote:
At 8/14/10 09:33 PM, Liquify wrote: The more I see from this game the more I hate it.

It looks so stupid.

RC cars as bombs? What the fuck is that shit. That isn't fucking war.

/inb4theywereactuallyusedhereisthevidtop roveit
LOLOLOLOL OMG RCBKARRRRS AZZZZZZZZ A KS LOLOLOL DIS GAYM WELL SUXXXX

I love when people post thoughtful, well worded and insightful posts that are clearly backed by research and a firm understanding of the subject.

alfraydo
alfraydo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Aug. 30th, 2010 @ 11:07 PM Reply

The promise of making the Wii version just as good as the 360/PC/PS3 is surprising. I will truly be surprised if the visuals do in fact 'blow you away' on the Wii.

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF LOVE AND PEACE!

Samen
Samen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 12:13 AM Reply

At 8/30/10 11:07 PM, Alfraydo wrote: The promise of making the Wii version just as good as the 360/PC/PS3 is surprising. I will truly be surprised if the visuals do in fact 'blow you away' on the Wii.

Well, I'm expecting to be relatively blown away.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 02:00 AM Reply

I'm wondering why 36Holla made this thread? We have had clans for all the previous cod games and now it's going to fucking break down to this thread...? The clans were pretty well designed... and with years, me and the other leaders of the clan had found ways to keep things simple... But how the fuck is this going to work?

36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 03:05 AM Reply

At 8/31/10 02:00 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: I'm wondering why 36Holla made this thread? We have had clans for all the previous cod games and now it's going to fucking break down to this thread...? The clans were pretty well designed... and with years, me and the other leaders of the clan had found ways to keep things simple... But how the fuck is this going to work?

Um...we had this same thing for MW2, and there's no difference with this thread being a place in the VG forum for people to discuss the game. The clan is first of all in a separate forum and is supposed to be a place for people to organize games and give each other ranks and titles and things like that which we don't do so much here. You can keep your clan and all that so calm down guy.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 06:05 PM Reply

At 8/31/10 03:05 AM, 36Holla wrote:
At 8/31/10 02:00 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: I'm wondering why 36Holla made this thread? We have had clans for all the previous cod games and now it's going to fucking break down to this thread...? The clans were pretty well designed... and with years, me and the other leaders of the clan had found ways to keep things simple... But how the fuck is this going to work?
Um...we had this same thing for MW2, and there's no difference with this thread being a place in the VG forum for people to discuss the game. The clan is first of all in a separate forum and is supposed to be a place for people to organize games and give each other ranks and titles and things like that which we don't do so much here. You can keep your clan and all that so calm down guy.

Don't get fooled by all the f-words. I'm not angry, but you were a part of this clan thing we had. And you do know that we discuss the game aswell and not just organise matches.

You probably also know that the first clan I started for Call Of Duty 4 back when the game was released, was created before the Video Games Forum was. So back then, it was no big deal, but now... this is just making two different threads for very similar purposes. While you guys don't have ranks and stuff, you still discuss the game as we do.

So em, I'm just wondering what I should do. The guys from the clan are asking me to create the next one for Black Ops. Maybe you could pay us a little visit in the MW clan, just so we could discuss the different options.

Samen
Samen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 08:04 PM Reply

At 8/31/10 06:05 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 8/31/10 03:05 AM, 36Holla wrote:
Don't get fooled by all the f-words. I'm not angry, but you were a part of this clan thing we had. And you do know that we discuss the game aswell and not just organise matches.

The primary difference is that "Official" threads on the VG forum are used as data dumps for prerelease info and speculation, but die off once the game is released beyond a few weeks of discussion.
The Clan is usually made after the release of the game for discussion and community planning.

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 09:15 AM Reply

So anyway multiplayer reveal last night that I totally slept through, what did I miss? Can someone give youtube links plz?

Already saw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh0hGb2RU A0&feature=sub

gun game!
GUN GAME!
GUN
FUCKING
GAME!

chubzilla100
chubzilla100
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 09:39 AM Reply

At 9/2/10 09:15 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: So anyway multiplayer reveal last night that I totally slept through, what did I miss? Can someone give youtube links plz?

Already saw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh0hGb2RU A0&feature=sub

gun game!
GUN GAME!
GUN
FUCKING
GAME!

Well theres not that much actual footage, machinima only got around 20min for some reason, and I dont think Much else has came up. There is a full list of everything here, that everyone has found, along woth all uploaded videos so far. Even some Hutch commentaries are on there.

It looks awesome

I quoted a mod, damn I feel Special

Steam: Chubzilla100 also Check out da You Tubes

I dont think you understand the importance of clicking my sig, and the limitless prizes it holds.

BBS Signature
36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 09:45 AM Reply

At 8/31/10 06:05 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: So em, I'm just wondering what I should do. The guys from the clan are asking me to create the next one for Black Ops.

I still don't see this as a big deal or problem. Go ahead and make the clan for Black Ops in CC if you want. Having two threads won't be an issue, and the people from the clan can still post over there.

Quinny
Quinny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 09:52 AM Reply

The L96 is in the weapons, it's worth buying for that alone.

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 03:21 PM Reply

At 9/2/10 09:52 AM, BobbaQ wrote: The L96 is in the weapons, it's worth buying for that alone.

Where did you get that info?

chubzilla100
chubzilla100
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 03:34 PM Reply

At 9/2/10 03:21 PM, tally1989 wrote:
At 9/2/10 09:52 AM, BobbaQ wrote: The L96 is in the weapons, it's worth buying for that alone.

If I remember, It was in the fist trailer.

I dont think you understand the importance of clicking my sig, and the limitless prizes it holds.

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 04:57 PM Reply

At 9/2/10 03:34 PM, chubzilla100 wrote:
At 9/2/10 03:21 PM, tally1989 wrote:
If I remember, It was in the fist trailer.

Oh its the awp, I was confusing it with the l86 from mw2

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 04:59 PM Reply

These new Wager game modes make me want the game. ALL of them sounds awesome. I'm sorry everyone.

Sierra
Sierra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:14 PM Reply

At 9/2/10 04:57 PM, tally1989 wrote: Oh its the awp, I was confusing it with the l86 from mw2

It's the L96A1, according to the MP Reveal. When I saw it and realised my guess was right I could have cried out of fucking happiness.

I'm on Last.fm!
Also, I used to be YeOldeSierra. Now I'm just Sierra :3

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:20 PM Reply

At 9/2/10 05:14 PM, Sierra wrote:
At 9/2/10 04:57 PM, tally1989 wrote: Oh its the awp, I was confusing it with the l86 from mw2
It's the L96A1, according to the MP Reveal. When I saw it and realised my guess was right I could have cried out of fucking happiness.

L96A1, AWP. Same shit

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:25 PM Reply

call of duty is a shit game

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:27 PM Reply

At 9/2/10 05:25 PM, TacoFreak wrote: call of duty is a shit game

Thanks...

Fezz
Fezz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:53 PM Reply

Currency is called CoD Points (CP)

I lol'd.

chubzilla100
chubzilla100
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 07:28 PM Reply

At 9/2/10 05:20 PM, tally1989 wrote:
At 9/2/10 05:14 PM, Sierra wrote:
L96A1, AWP. Same shit

Why is everyone talking about that gun? I've never heard of it, or seen it and its other model was in MW2, but whats the big fuss over?

BBS Signature
Simple
Simple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 07:46 PM Reply

At 9/2/10 07:28 PM, chubzilla100 wrote: Why is everyone talking about that gun? I've never heard of it, or seen it and its other model was in MW2, but whats the big fuss over?

If you've never played Counter Strike you wouldn't understand. If you have then there muct be something wrong if you don't want it for than gun.

kittehg0d
kittehg0d
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 07:53 PM Reply

God dammit! im having another Cod Spasm >:(

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:05 PM Reply

At 9/2/10 07:46 PM, Simple wrote: If you've never played Counter Strike you wouldn't understand. If you have then there muct be something wrong if you don't want it for than gun.

I could never hit with the awp. IDK why. With scouts I could shoot like a regular person but with awp i'd always miss.

fuck the awp

Samen
Samen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 09:19 PM Reply

At 9/2/10 07:46 PM, Simple wrote:
At 9/2/10 07:28 PM, chubzilla100 wrote: Why is everyone talking about that gun? I've never heard of it, or seen it and its other model was in MW2, but whats the big fuss over?
If you've never played Counter Strike you wouldn't understand. If you have then there muct be something wrong if you don't want it for than gun.

You understand that the guns that appear in games are imaginary and their statistics aren't typically tied to any real life number?
Just because it was a great weapon in CS doesn't mean it'll be the same thing in CoD.

SweetenBoy
SweetenBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Programmer
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 09:30 PM Reply

I love the new wager matches!!! Sticks and stones looks amazing, it makes me really want to try the new crossbow. I might even prefer the tomahawk to mw2's throwing knife.

I'm loving and tolerating the shit outta you

BBS Signature
burgereggs
burgereggs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Official Cod Black Ops Thread. Sep. 3rd, 2010 @ 02:44 AM Reply

I heard that there will be a zombie mode in this game.