00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

[talk] Pico Day '10 Art Contest

6,457 Views | 71 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to [talk] Pico Day '10 Art Contest 2010-05-05 11:38:22

At 5/5/10 11:34 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: Out of curiosity ...to those that didn't enter... what do you guys think we can do to increase user participation?

I didn't enter cause I couldn't find a descent idea for what to draw.
I didn't really give it too much thought, and then all of a sudden, pico day was there, and the contest was over.

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Pico Day '10 Art Contest 2010-05-05 11:52:45

i had sucky ideas, i still entered, i looked back at the 08 contest and it had 14 pages or something like that, i think its that 1 the art forum isnt as popular as it used to be and 2 the theme probably put some people off, i mean the last one was draw ng characters in your style, this was different and maybe some people thought it was too much effort

Response to [talk] Pico Day '10 Art Contest 2010-05-05 11:59:36

I would've participated had it not been for final exams.....

Response to [talk] Pico Day '10 Art Contest 2010-05-05 12:29:02

Give that charming man TurkeyOnAStick the ability to FP post.

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Pico Day '10 Art Contest 2010-05-05 12:51:12

Getting Stamper and JohnnyUtah and Mindchamber to make entries and post about it on the FP seems to be the magic formula.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Pico Day '10 Art Contest 2010-05-05 13:07:54

not enough time

Response to [talk] Pico Day '10 Art Contest 2010-05-10 11:50:15

At 5/5/10 11:34 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: Out of curiosity ...to those that didn't enter... what do you guys think we can do to increase user participation? Not too long ago, there'd be 5-6 pages of entries. Now we're lucky if we hit 2-3. Is it that you don't like the themes? Are we not giving enough time? Prizes suck? What would it take to get you to enter?

I dont know... for this one it basically was a time issue; what with the doubles and a vacation and stuff... It wasnt impossible for me to do something but just not really had the time to make something great.
Which brings me to the real point; for contests; I want to make something really good, which is intimidating to me. I honestly dont know what it is; but I do know I have decided to just start joining in everything even if it means ill produce something not that good. I quite like that resolution.

Some of you will probably remember that during november/december of last year I made some great progress in my art; which was basically due to me just painting without making a big deal out of it. Then everybody (including myself) complimented me on the progress I had made (thanks for that), but that kinda made it difficult for me to just draw something for the heck of it...

Anyways; to answer your question: I dont know; but I plan to change it.

One last thing Id like to mention about these contest though: I get irritated when I see poeple turn up for the contests and make awesome submissions; but then they are never seen or heard of in the art forum except in the next contest. I know this is also a good thing, and there is not perfect. I dont necessarily want you to do something about it; but it does make me kinda frustrated.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Pico Day '10 Art Contest 2010-05-10 17:32:38

At 5/10/10 11:50 AM, J-qb wrote:
One last thing Id like to mention about these contest though: I get irritated when I see poeple turn up for the contests and make awesome submissions; but then they are never seen or heard of in the art forum except in the next contest. I know this is also a good thing, and there is not perfect. I dont necessarily want you to do something about it; but it does make me kinda frustrated.

thats a good point.. one thats kinda hard to address, from a lurker's point of view i think that can be helped by having a strong system of weekly challenges like the doubles and C.O.W dealies that still have a contest format but the prize is merely recognition and pushing yourself creatively and collaboratively, so its a more lax environment. maybe i've been slow but i think those have declined lately and i think thats what helped strengthening the art forum community.

as for contest turnout, these always naturally happen at busy times of the year what with holidays/school schedules/meets, i really think advertising is the issue at hand. promoting the contest longer beforehand, and with more of a buzz on the frontpage posts will generate the response you're looking for i'm sure. i dont know if it'd just be adding more chaos to the front page, but i think having a box *around the To-Do list/staff blogs or sumthin* with artist-made adverts of the various portal contests would be cool.

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Pico Day '10 Art Contest 2010-05-10 19:13:37

I was gonna see if we could commandeer some real estate on the portal front page...

[talk] Pico Day '10 Art Contest

Response to [talk] Pico Day '10 Art Contest 2010-05-10 19:23:05

At 5/10/10 07:13 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: I was gonna see if we could commandeer some real estate on the portal front page...

I think that would be awesome.

In irrelevant news; WHERE'S THE ART PORTAL QUALITY CONTROL? WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING??

There's some good stuff..... but a lotta not good stuff. =P

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Pico Day '10 Art Contest 2010-05-10 19:45:52

At 5/10/10 07:13 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: I was gonna see if we could commandeer some real estate on the portal front page...

yea, AT THE VERY LEAST we should be allowed to do that

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Pico Day '10 Art Contest 2010-05-11 04:15:00

At 5/10/10 07:23 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: In irrelevant news; WHERE'S THE ART PORTAL QUALITY CONTROL? WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING??

There's some good stuff..... but a lotta not good stuff. =P

easy answer: it got unscouted
other answer: people are scouting crap

i want naes spam the portal saturday thing she was talking about, that sounded like hella fun but it dissapeared, and the weeklies, we got doubles, sigs, chow, photoshopping, isnt that enough weeklies, only thing you could add is cow, or environments