New Topic Respond to this Topic
Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 08:51 PM Reply

I just received a letter in the mail today from ECMC, a guarantor of my student loans, reporting that they had a recent data theft at their Minnesota facility. I figured it was just a scam, but upon doing a little internet-sleuthing, I found some articles that confirmed the theft.

Apparently now mine and 3.3 million other student's names, addresses, Social Security numbers and other personal stuff are now in the possession of some random dude. And how did this "l33t haxx0r" do it?

ECMC said the stolen information was on a portable media device. "It was simple, old-fashioned theft," said
ECMC spokesman Paul Kelash. "It was not a hacker incident."

Way to go ECMC - some dude with a gameboy wanders into your facility on a Saturday night and steals 3,300,000 social security numbers.

brb...seeing how many credit cards I have now

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 08:53 PM Reply

whoever did it, he's got quite some 1337 h4x0rz.
sorry for the loss.

reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 08:58 PM Reply

Just for that, you should demand they forgive your loan debt since basically that's the amount it's going to cost you to fix their mess.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
SevenSeize
SevenSeize
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 09:00 PM Reply

Same exact crap happened to me when I was in college. The data was on a laptop. Someone walked out of the office with it. It wasn't 3 million of us, it was like 300. They got the data for everyone in my department/class. But still ultra lame.

jmalouin7
jmalouin7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 09:01 PM Reply

I have had this happen to me once before, sort of.

They stole my debit card. When I was boxing day shopping, i was using my debit left and right. I didn't like, and still don't like carrying a lot of cash on me. about 2 days after that, I go to use my debit again to pre-pay for some gas, and declined. i tried 20 dollars, then 10, then 5, then pissed off I tried 0.01 and still declined.

I went to the bank afterwards, and they said i couldn't use my debit because my bank account was on lock down. they gave me a phone number for theft prevention and fraud, and sent me on my way.

I get home, call the number, and after about 35 minutes on hold, the guy tells me

"we put your bank account on hold because of some suspicious withdraw attempts and we need you to confirm them. Have you tried withdrawing $500 from a debit machine in Montreal at such and such time and date?"

"nooooo I have never been on to Montreal"

"well it appears someone has a counterfeit copy of your card, the account is on lock down until you can get a new card, and we can set you up with a new account, just tell them this cnfirmation number"

I sat there in awe, always thinking this shit never happens to me, it will never happen to me, and then it does.

If you are reading this, it means I have posted. Whether or not I am still posting, this has left its mark, for many years to come.

BBS Signature
DJ-Chilvan
DJ-Chilvan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 09:01 PM Reply

At 4/15/10 08:58 PM, reverend wrote: Just for that, you should demand they forgive your loan debt since basically that's the amount it's going to cost you to fix their mess.

GREAT IDEA!
Too bad it won't work though, we live in a very greedy society.

Check out my new track Tokyo Pop and my hit: Our Nova Pt. 2.
Member of Review Request Club.

Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 09:05 PM Reply

At 4/15/10 08:58 PM, reverend wrote: Just for that, you should demand they forgive your loan debt since basically that's the amount it's going to cost you to fix their mess.

Yeah - that would be awesome.

Unfortunately, any class action lawsuit will have 3.3 million people involved, so any moderately-sized settlement will simply result in everyone getting $0.75 or something.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
NoxDexus
NoxDexus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 09:08 PM Reply

I think I know who did...

HUGS AND KISSES

This signature has been done by the incredibly sexy Donut.

BBS Signature
bloo-apple
bloo-apple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Artist
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 09:09 PM Reply

That sucks.. I just got into college, and now I am scared. I will keep watch over it..

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 09:13 PM Reply

Eh, tell me about it. The UK has had a long and illustrious history of thefts of retarded things.
25m people's details lost RE child benefit when it goes missing in the post between govt departments, and then there was the case when some govt worker left an unencrypted CD containing drivers license data in a cafe or similar, can't remember specifics.

HahaISuckMoreThanYou
HahaISuckMoreThanYou
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 09:14 PM Reply

On related news about theft, someone smashed into my car window and stole a bunch of my shit. I was mad and was giving all my friends the third degree because I seen my friends stealing shit from each other all the time.

Now I feel bad since last night, a bunch of people been breaking into cars and stealing crap.

Annnnnnnnd almost got kick out of the house because I was yelling at my father for telling me reasons to lock my car even though my car won't lock, (even though I pay my rent), even though I help them everyday since my dad is a dumbass old man, even though I know last time his car was stolen, he blamed every single one of us and punched me...

Yea I love my life, can I have a gun, a flamethrower, and some grenades so I can show people how much I love their lives too?

I hate people.
Rude-Awakening
Rude-Awakening
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 09:19 PM Reply

At 4/15/10 09:13 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Eh, tell me about it. The UK has had a long and illustrious history of thefts of retarded things.
25m people's details lost RE child benefit when it goes missing in the post between govt departments, and then there was the case when some govt worker left an unencrypted CD containing drivers license data in a cafe or similar, can't remember specifics.

Yes, our fine nation is a bit careless with valuable information and the like. On a similar note, I do remember a government official of something like that left a gun in a Macdonalds toilet.

NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0
Gamertag: JuicyRumpSteak

BBS Signature
Fezz
Fezz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 09:53 PM Reply

I remember my dad's ID was stolen and someone used it to buy $6000 in shoes across the country in California.

I think my dad might've just taken a little day off to get some new kicks, but he told my mom and I otherwise.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 11:35 PM Reply

Im growing a beard. soon ill be livin large as timmy. i kinda have the face for it i think.

None

Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 15th, 2010 @ 11:37 PM Reply

*Innocent whistling.*

At 4/15/10 11:35 PM, Luis wrote: Im growing a beard. soon ill be livin large as timmy. i kinda have the face for it i think.

If you're willing to go all Michael Jackson on your skin colour, maybe.

AnonymousAlchemist
AnonymousAlchemist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Movie Buff
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 16th, 2010 @ 01:19 AM Reply

That sucks. I hate to say it, but you didn't have the right programs, firewalls, etc.

Just gotta get all over that computer shit. Or else someone else who knows his shit will shit all over your computer. Shit.

UsernameWasTaken
UsernameWasTaken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 16th, 2010 @ 01:23 AM Reply

Hacks! Hacks I say!

But seriously, that would suck. He could make shit hit the fan hard for all of the people he stole the IDs off.

Let's roll.

HahaISuckMoreThanYou
HahaISuckMoreThanYou
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Someone stole my ID :( Apr. 16th, 2010 @ 04:03 PM Reply

PS: kinda-delayed thinking, but it's actually pretty easy to "scan" credit cards from a difference and get the information you need.

http://www.rfidusa.com/superstore/index.
php?cPath=34

Maybe I shouldn't be posting it here, just you saying "now I gotta count how many credit cards I have now" doesn't usually mean your credit cards are safe. Not to mention I remember I had a worker who writes down credit card numbers/security numbers from customers and used it online. I never ratted him out, probably because I done some mischief before and he'll probably be caught without my help (and if he isn't, then at least he's the few people that is intelligent enough to get away with something.)

I guess the true thing to realize is nothing is safe in this world and the only thing you can do is react to the situation as soon as you realize something is wrong.