Respond to this Topic
maxvm
maxvm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Filmmaker
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 11:37:45 Reply

At 4/14/10 11:41 PM, TomFulp wrote: What would be the store, museum, service, etc. that would make your town awesome?

One needs to be a zeppelin hotel.

Visiting Newgrounds Since 2003

BBS Signature
SuspiciousPenguin
SuspiciousPenguin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 11:42:56 Reply

Those are some majorly awesome ideas. Especially the re-dubbing cartoons one, epik win.

bkrock
bkrock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 12:19:42 Reply

I know there are stores like this, but I want a place where they have those things that are awesome, and you can't find anywhere else. Back home we have a Newbury Comics, and if Barnes and Noble or Borders doesn't have a book, I'd check there. Same with movies.

I guess I'd like an Amazon store.

Lost-Chances
Lost-Chances
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 12:58:12 Reply

Hey, hey, hey, Tom.

You a working class hero man.

This too will pass.
Memento mori

BBS Signature
BloodHK47
BloodHK47
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 13:05:37 Reply

Hey Tom, one idea i thought of, how about a history museum. Chronicling the influence of making newgrounds and how you started out. Then build up from there showing other places of the top hits that make newgrounds awesome like castle crashers, madness collab, etc.

And also a shop for buying merch stuff at the end of course.

t7bros
t7bros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 13:20:56 Reply

Any one or combination of these things would be great.

Also, I wish I was still able to come around to the office more frequently. Unfortunately, with everything going on at work and school, I have no time to stop by and see everyone. One of these days I'll get back there.

zeroslots
zeroslots
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 13:21:59 Reply

I'm actually quite fond of that Voice Acting studio idea ya got goin' there, Tom. I've always wondered what it'd be like if I could fandub some of the anime I watch, and see how it increased or decreased the quality of it.

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 14:59:27 Reply

ha.. yeah small towns.. I grew up in this horrid little town called Galt. google it up and you'll get depressed. We used to have arcades and a bowling ally and a pool hall but they all went out of business cause most of the time people would just go there to just hang out. We also used to have a really awesome coffee shop that the local bands could play shows at. That too, went out of business rather quickly. The only thing Galt has to offer is a freaking Flea Market. As soon as I graduated I escaped to AZ for college then moved to Sacramento shortly after.. it was the wisest move.. Small towns suck people in like a vortex.

I'd like to see it finally have a decent arcade again.. and a bowling ally. Kids might stop doing blow.

HahaISuckMoreThanYou
HahaISuckMoreThanYou
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 14:59:50 Reply

BTW: Tom maybe next time you can join our group in west virginia. Every time we pass around Da Pope (bong), we are always thinking like that. Won't cost ya a dime for the weed since your awesome. (Everyone else pitches in >:()

CatFat
CatFat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Animator
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 15:14:37 Reply

hah i like the booth idea!
in my town, i'd bring back the comic store and cinema, have more tree's and exterminate all CHAVS!!!

PSN ID: CatFatNG
Xbox Gamertag: CatFatNG

BBS Signature
skeletos
skeletos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 15:26:55 Reply

We're gonna premier the chat with the launch of Pico 2 so everyone can chat about how awesome it is.

So, like, never, huh?

kind of reminded me of a angry blowjob.Like a muffled choking with a depressed sigh from the nose--ZyklonB-
Fuck this thread.--Rig--

BBS Signature
skeletos
skeletos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 15:30:03 Reply

Right around the same time Lilium 2 comes out too

Or the next duke nukem or original call of duty. (never)

kind of reminded me of a angry blowjob.Like a muffled choking with a depressed sigh from the nose--ZyklonB-
Fuck this thread.--Rig--

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 15:42:01 Reply

At 4/14/10 11:41 PM, TomFulp wrote: So those are some of my ideas. What would be the store, museum, service, etc. that would make your town awesome?

Since my home town was the birthplace of the man who invented the penny post, the museum in my town would have to focus upon stamps of some sort.

Rather than spelling the end of the postal service, companies such as Amazon and eBay only helped the industry and even Newgrounds uses the postal service for their store.

How about this for hands on? Come into the museum and make your own denominations of stamps. Newgrounds stamps, that either bear the head of Fulp or the fabled Tankmen, for instance.

Your thoughts, Tom? Guys? Girls?

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
TheAutocrat
TheAutocrat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 16:06:58 Reply

I personally wouldn't mind going back a few decades. I have yet to find a classy place around here with nice jazz or piano music going instead of some shitty southern-rock band or hip-hop and dancing whores. I just want to drink and sit and think. Dammit.

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." - Charles Bukowski.

BBS Signature
Mockery
Mockery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 16:40:01 Reply

One of my dreams has always been to start up a two-story arcade. The first floor would be nothing but pinball machines, the 2nd floor would be the greatest arcade games of all time - especially great multiplayer ones. And the other catch? NO MACHINE CHARGES MORE THAN A QUARTER.

Also, arcades are still huge in Japan, but here in the U.S., they've died out as home consoles have become more advanced. I miss the warm glow of old arcades and all the joy it brought my friends and I when we were young. Video-gaming used to be such a social thing, but nowadays it feels like we've lost some of that. Sure we have multiplayer online games 'n all, but that's not the same as meeting up with a friend in a public place to see if you two can beat a game together with only $5 worth of quarters.

In addition to the two floors of arcade & pinball games, there would be snacks & drinks to buy and probably a projection screen somewhere constantly playing old video game show episodes (such as "Starcade").

If I had the money to do such a project, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat!

-RoG-

At 4/14/10 11:41 PM, TomFulp wrote: So those are some of my ideas. What would be the store, museum, service, etc. that would make your town awesome?
connorx800
connorx800
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 17:03:42 Reply

At 4/15/10 12:03 AM, TomFulp wrote: I always wanted to have a laser tag place where you could choose your gun, or even toggle your gun settings in-game. For example:

1) Shotgun - wide beam, less range, fast shot
2) Laser - Strong focused beam, sustained shot
3) Spread shot - multiple angled beams, fast shot
4) Machine Gun - Bust of four quick shots followed by delay

Stuff like that...

me to! when I was little and went to laser tag places, I always was really tired of the same old gun!

Jinx-Studios
Jinx-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 17:12:21 Reply

Nice idea for an NG lounge! It would be the perfect meet-up place!

My idea is to create a live web-feed of any meetups that happen there so people who can't come can see what's going on!

Don't be STOOPID!

BBS Signature
NaiveDJack
NaiveDJack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 17:28:34 Reply

At 4/14/10 11:41 PM, TomFulp wrote:
When I was in college I would go to 611 Records and listen to vinyl on the turntable listening stations. When I stopped collecting vinyl I did the same thing at CD shops. Now everyone downloads their music so there isn't much draw to a CD store. Is there some sort of potential social space for music fans that is less extreme than a concert but more public than browsing on-line?

Down here we used to have some youth centers, and with my friends I often hit on youtube and watch this than that video, then someone cames out with that video he saw... One day I came out with the idea of a YoutuBar... That would be great. Something like a phonoteque where you get in this room and listen to the vynil (way better than cds to listen together) and watch the sky...

Uh yeah a telescope place too! What's the word... Astrolabius?

Another thing I want for a town it's a decent way to leave her when I want to go elsewhere!

Perfectio minimum.

Atgod88
Atgod88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 17:58:08 Reply

Needs more stripclub.

For my next trick, I will need a condom and a volunteer.

BBS Signature
GeneralJ
GeneralJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 18:17:24 Reply

You have a lot of dreams, Tom. You also have the people and the funding due to NG. I'm sure. The real question is... do you have the potential?

I love your ideas, nevertheless. A lot of people have ideas, but very few have the chances you have to follow through with them.

JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 18:24:01 Reply

sweets, can I jump in the bean-bag chair?

|"My dick was in the Guinness Boom of World Records... Then I left the library.|

BBS Signature
BigRed
BigRed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 18:28:01 Reply

I've actually been considering renting a loft space in Montreal with a few friends and doing similar things. Essentially it's the construction of a creative space. It's a lot of work, and is going to require some serious dedication to make it a happening community space. Kudos for doing it though, I think it sounds awesome.

You could make a small income by hosting speakers, tutorials, lessons, and the premiers of animations and games. I wouldn't plan on making money from that though, just on covering rent.

BBS Signature
rockymike
rockymike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 18:28:13 Reply

So those are some of my ideas. What would be the store, museum, service, etc. that would make your town awesome?

I live in a town of 700. Just having a McDonald's would be visionary.

It serves its purpose.

BBS Signature
ManlyMan97
ManlyMan97
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 18:51:26 Reply

Amazing Ideas Tom! It would be cool to see those ideas in action!

I enter the BBS with pride.

BBS Signature
Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 19:03:08 Reply

What would be really cool is if you had some kind of epic sound setup that streams music from the audio portal into the room if nothing else is currently going on. You could even have a DJ that chooses favorites from the Audio Portal. Even better, you could set up a system where a user from across the world has a video feed of the room, and a "control panel" (I don't know what it's called), that allows him to choose songs, control the lighting, change the speed of the song, etc.

Whatever you do with the room, you should really make it about the Newgrounds community. Having a meetup at the NG office every few months would be insane.

Darkwatch16
Darkwatch16
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 19:17:20 Reply

So you basically want to start a real life Newgrounds? That is the greatest thing anyone has ever thought of ever.

sumidiotdude
sumidiotdude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 19:46:11 Reply

Makes me really wanna visit the NG HQ in the future, the yoga center was my favorite part.

PM me for info on bears Suhm-Id-Ee-Uht-Dood not Puh-Tur-Oh.
Last.fm

BBS Signature
WilBilliam
WilBilliam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 19:49:22 Reply

To be square with you Tom, I agree with your idea of the Music shop. I can't stand going out to a concert for a band I really enjoy hearing only to be screamed out by thousands of fans. My solution? A shop that instead of selling songs, is a lot like a library where you can just sit down and listen to them! I would think many people would at least have some interest, and true fans of the artists would go to maybe talk with others who enjoy that artist.

For me the same would work for movies... At least I hope it would. Much like the screaming fans there are those that just go to movies to socialize. That I can't exactly disagree with, but there's a point where you just have to shut-up, and watch the movie. So there you go. A shop I would love to see in any store would be like a library which sounds ridiculous, but when the library comprises of music, and movies I think it'd be a pretty snazzy thing to see!

BabyfaceBenny
BabyfaceBenny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 20:26:18 Reply

Heh, it's pretty much like you got a giant clubhouse set up there, huh Tom? I don't doubt that you're an awesome guy in person.

Ah, but I feel your pain. I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana. We have practically nothing here. There are a million things that could be added here (though I'm not very imaginative, so what I'll list will be a significantly smaller margin). The first thing I'd put in is a well-kept arcade, with all the best titles. Oh, and some kind of anime/manga or overall otaku store, I'm quite the Japanophile. I like your thinking of a museum of sorts for video game stuff... something with that overall theme would be awesome as well. I suppose a Greek pantheon to watch people fight for their lives would be cool too, but I doubt think the arcade would even happen, so yeah...

All this makes me want to play a Sims game (I never have for some reason...).

BabyfaceBenny has spoken!

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Reinvent Your Town 2010-04-15 21:28:20 Reply

Where I live, there isn't much to do unless you go to Columbus or Cincinnati, both of them about the same distance from where I am. What would be sweet would be a big dirt track for Motocross or ATV racing and and a drag strip for racing muscle cars, hybrids, whatever. Also a buliding for wrestling, MMA and combat sports would be awesome too, not just for the fights itself, but Martial Arts schools like Ju jitsu, karate, boxing, etc. would also be cool. An anime/manga store would be pretty neat, with an anime festival every year on Main st. with a big-ass dance floor would own big time.

With all that, I would love to be a city planner.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature