New Topic Respond to this Topic
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-26 06:46:25 Reply

At 8/25/10 10:16 PM, TheThing wrote: I've read through the thread, and I haven't seen a definitive answer to these questions.

Thanks.

What if I post my story to another forum (I still keep all the copyrights) to get criticism and help with editing?

If the website isn't popular enough that it gets copy pasta'd around the internet, I don't have much problem with it. The final version you should try to keep for the anthology. Also, like I said, I don't want to steal all your rights when I publish. You'll have to grant enough of a licence for me to publish your work and sell it in the ng store, but officially there is to exclusivity clause. You can go where you like with you work. It would be better for the anthology, if it contains mostly original work that isn't freely available.

Also, are our real names published, or are our usernames in there? Or is it a combination of both?

Ideally, both, but I'm aware there are privacy concerns, so that's up to you. People who get accepted will probably be asked to write a short bio about themselves as users of newgrounds/writers. I'll request both and live with what I get.

Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
TriForce12
TriForce12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-26 11:43:03 Reply

At 4/13/10 09:24 PM, gumOnShoe wrote:
At 4/13/10 05:41 PM, Flyingdingo0827 wrote: I'm sorry but don't you think you're setting the bar a little high?
No, if I'm putting $300 dollars towards this, the least you can do is hand me a story that's flawless in terms of grammar & spelling; especially after I give you several months to work on it. If you aren't willing to put the time into it and your best work or even find an editor, you don't value your writing enough for me to desire to publish it.

The U.S. at least mandates everyone of of you will have access to basic training in spelling & grammar. You clearly have the internet, another tool which can teach you what you don't know. If anybody who wants to participate knows that they are too lazy to find another person to edit for them if they know they are incapable, I will not waste my time.

I mean...even seasoned authors have a minor grammatical/spelling errors that might not get fixed in the final draft. Also I think that if someone decides to put in their story for the anthology but it doesn't get in, I believe that you should at least give them a response so that they could at least fix the problem and hopefully get the story re-submitted into the final draft.
If it is clear that something fell through the cracks, but the story is otherwise amazing I will likely contact the author anyways to let them know they need to edit again. If the story has more than two errors and I'm not further than one paragraph through, I'll just stop reading. That's all there is to it. I will not waste my time because someone else was too lazy to do what they should have done.

I took a course in college where we were asked to write 10,000 documents and we were told for every grammar and spelling mistake found we would loose an entire letter grade. My professor called it the draconian rule, and amazingly it worked. I have confidence anyone who wants to be published in such an anthology of this will also have the respect for themselves and me to edit and revise their work.

Man, you really seem to be a bit of a dick. It's nigh on impossible that a human can do something like this without error, and certain that virtually none of us have money to throw at hiring proffessional editors. I have been writing for pleasure for years, and would love to join this project. However, if you are going to show no respect for the effort some of us may dedicate a large portion of our year on, and just destroy the work, then I personnaly think YOU are the one who is being lazy and selfish. We put forward our efforts, all you do is glue them together and ship them out. Put some effort in to this project of yours, and help us spellcheck. Run spellchecker programs, if you see just one error, don't bin the work, you lazy fuck, CORRECT IT. It's not hard. Or are your fingers too tightly buried up your own arsehole that you can't push, let me think... 2 KEYS!

*backspace, insert letter, done*

Unfortunatly, I don't have the time at the moment to spellcheck others work, because for the next year, I am doing my final year of GCSE's. However, I swear on my life, If I wasn't, I would say to people to send me the work first, and I WOULD PERSONALLY SPELLCHECK IT FOR THEM, because I know how much work like this means to people. People pour their heart and soul into writing, and some people develop an emotional bond to their work. For you to just delete thier work is an insult to what they have done.

Oh yeah, and something tells me that if you bother to try putting your own lot in, and write a story to be sold as well, if you find a spelling error or grammar error on the readthrough, YOU WON'T DELETE, WILL YOU, FUCKER? No, YOU will edit out that mistake. You won't just delete the entire work and start from scratch, eh? No, didn't think so. Put yourself in other peoples shoes before getting all high and mighty.

Not everyone is american. I am british, and there are many european users on this site, probably around 1/2 to 1/3 of people here, are not americans.

So, if you intend to start writing, you need to open your mind a little, and stop being so critical of tiny mistakes. Terry Pratchet, one of the, if not the most beloved writer in the history of writing, has made spelling mistakes before now. I should know, I've read tons of his books, even the non-discworlds.

So, in conclusion, put some effort into your own project, and you don't even have to spellcheck them, just reply with the file attached and say, "Hey buddy, there's an error next to *insert line here*. Fix that up and send it back, ok, mate?"

Not hard.

I made this sig.

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-26 18:30:45 Reply

Here we go again. :)

At 8/26/10 11:43 AM, TriForce12 wrote: So, in conclusion, put some effort into your own project, and you don't even have to spellcheck them, just reply with the file attached and say, "Hey buddy, there's an error next to *insert line here*. Fix that up and send it back, ok, mate?"

I already have done that. I'll admit I was just a tiny bit jaded when I started this project. I'd been running writing competitions on and off for an entire year, and a lot of submissions being submitted hadn't had a basic once over. It would not be an overstatement to say that a clear majority had not been edited, perhaps even revised. So, in an attempt to discourage that I made a very blunt point that I wanted high quality work. The truth is I still do, but I'm not nearly as harsh as I let on. Sure, I've told people that their work isn't good enough, but I've tried to point them in the right direction every time.

That said, you're 15. In the scheme of things, you haven't been writing that long, at least not at a level where you'd be expected to do everything perfectly every time. This is different, and while I will send something back, I will not waste my time reading rubbish. I can tell the difference between a solid attempt, and 30 minutes spent whamming on a keyboard. And I have seen both.

That said, I will not be personally line editing 50 pieces of literature. I will help authors if they want to contact me, but my priority is reading through everything that gets submitted. This is a community, there are plenty of people here who could be helping with the editing or revising process.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
SteakandKidneyPie
SteakandKidneyPie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-26 19:14:06 Reply

I am going to write a 5000 word story about pico. I really think since this will be sold in the NG store that it should be relative to Newgrounds, but if not, I will still try.

So but just clear me up, are you a publisher or do you know someone?

Do you need $10 000 in cash for a 30 second animation? Click here

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-26 20:22:51 Reply

You people need to mellow out. Take what he says, make your best work, and press submit. Publishers are always strict and "jaded" to push you. Just work to the best of your ability and cross your fingers!

This book has a lot of promise with Gum at the helm.

(I just ran my short story by Evark and we both agreed that I should submit so expect it soon!)

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
TheThing
TheThing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-26 21:38:50 Reply

At 8/26/10 06:46 AM, gumOnShoe wrote:
At 8/25/10 10:16 PM, TheThing wrote: What if I post my story to another forum (I still keep all the copyrights) to get criticism and help with editing?
If the website isn't popular enough that it gets copy pasta'd around the internet, I don't have much problem with it.

Specifically it's the Young Writer's Society. Popular, but not exactly mainstream.

The final version you should try to keep for the anthology.

Like I said, I'll just be posting the rough version there, and the more refined version for the anthology.

Thanks for answering my questions.

TriForce12
TriForce12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-29 02:50:54 Reply

I already have done that. I'll admit I was just a tiny bit jaded when I started this project. I'd been running writing competitions on and off for an entire year, and a lot of submissions being submitted hadn't had a basic once over. It would not be an overstatement to say that a clear majority had not been edited, perhaps even revised. So, in an attempt to discourage that I made a very blunt point that I wanted high quality work. The truth is I still do, but I'm not nearly as harsh as I let on. Sure, I've told people that their work isn't good enough, but I've tried to point them in the right direction every time.

That said, you're 15. In the scheme of things, you haven't been writing that long, at least not at a level where you'd be expected to do everything perfectly every time. This is different, and while I will send something back, I will not waste my time reading rubbish. I can tell the difference between a solid attempt, and 30 minutes spent whamming on a keyboard. And I have seen both.

That said, I will not be personally line editing 50 pieces of literature. I will help authors if they want to contact me, but my priority is reading through everything that gets submitted. This is a community, there are plenty of people here who could be helping with the editing or revising process.

OK, fair enough. Thank you for an honest and constructive comment. Also, I may be 15, but I have aspergers syndrome, so I tend to be a little more mature than my years. I could read/write at Reading Age 16 when I was 3. Go figure. Is there any deadline set yet? ^_^

I made this sig.

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-29 03:34:11 Reply

Read and write at a 16 year old's level when you were 3? Interesting.

BBS Signature
TriForce12
TriForce12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-29 12:55:40 Reply

Yup. My favorite reading intake was Terry Pratchet. My mum had a shelf full of his books.

Oh, and my first word, not counting "Mama" or "Dada" or "Cookie" was....

"Transmogrification"

I was watching the Winter Elections in my bouncer chair, not one word of a lie.

I made this sig.

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-29 22:04:59 Reply

Shoot for as early as you can. I don't know if you're the kind of person that gets delayed or not, but its rolling deadlines. The next one is the end of September. If I have enough stories, I might stop accepting submissions. If I don't, we'll give another month. The point being, write something soon if you can, you'll have time to do more revisions if you need to, but still try to hand in something VERY solid and VERY polished.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
huongnd
huongnd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-31 22:36:17 Reply

Wow, I've got a lot of work for me this month, I've already started outlining a story for the Robot Day contest, and now I'm seeing this :)

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-31 23:07:11 Reply

At 8/31/10 10:36 PM, huongnd wrote: Wow, I've got a lot of work for me this month, I've already started outlining a story for the Robot Day contest, and now I'm seeing this :)

Robot day already passed mate.

BBS Signature
TheThing
TheThing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-31 23:38:43 Reply

At 8/31/10 10:36 PM, huongnd wrote: Wow, I've got a lot of work for me this month, I've already started outlining a story for the Robot Day contest, and now I'm seeing this :)

I know what you mean. I've got to get around to finishing my time machine too.

Also, I was thinking about writing something for the Madness Day contest, but I've been putting so much effort into this that I'm not sure if I'll be able to do a good job on the Madness project. But I think this is a bit more important.

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-08 18:31:49 Reply

Okay so, my story is finally underway. It will be tough to perfect by the end of september but that's what I'm shooting.

Also, I'd be happy to help during the editing process.

BBS Signature
TheThing
TheThing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-09 16:40:19 Reply

Just wondering, how many stories are officially in the anthology so far?

And when will those who submitted for September find out whether or not they're in?

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-10 10:48:23 Reply

At 9/9/10 04:40 PM, TheThing wrote: Just wondering, how many stories are officially in the anthology so far?

And when will those who submitted for September find out whether or not they're in?

I've accepted somewhere between 4 & 5 right now. (I'm away from home by several hundred miles and don't have my notes).

I'm balancing working on my piece and reading. I'll be reading a bunch more this week. I don't know when I'll get back it depends on how long some of the pieces are.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
TheThing
TheThing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-10 14:35:29 Reply

At 9/10/10 10:48 AM, gumOnShoe wrote: I've accepted somewhere between 4 & 5 right now.

Secondary question. Say you accept the next 5 or 6 that you read (depending on how many more you need). Would you finish reading the rest of the September submissions, or just cut it off after the
6th?

I'm balancing working on my piece and reading. I'll be reading a bunch more this week. I don't know when I'll get back it depends on how long some of the pieces are.

Cool, I'll watch out for any updates.

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-10 15:19:17 Reply

At 9/10/10 02:35 PM, TheThing wrote:
At 9/10/10 10:48 AM, gumOnShoe wrote: I've accepted somewhere between 4 & 5 right now.
Secondary question. Say you accept the next 5 or 6 that you read (depending on how many more you need). Would you finish reading the rest of the September submissions, or just cut it off after the
6th?

I'll read everything I have. Things are unlikely to be finalized this fall. But, I know how writers can procrastinate so while the cut off point is arbitrary, it will happen at the end of one of the next several months. This is a rolling process, which means I'll keep accepting them at the end of each month until I have enough to publish. If you don't submit in the current month, there's a chance you'll not have an opportunity if I determine I have what I'm looking for. So, try to get it in. I won't do anything arbitrary that might hurt the book.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
TheThing
TheThing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-10 18:50:47 Reply

At 9/10/10 03:19 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: So, try to get it in. I won't do anything arbitrary that might hurt the book.

That question was mainly for my own piece of mind. I've already submitted my story, but I wasn't sure where I was in the queue.

You know what? I just realized that I never submitted my NG alias along with my story. My story was Island in the Sky, if you were/are wondering.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-11 00:53:50 Reply

How would one know if their piece was accepted into the book?

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-11 11:24:56 Reply

At 9/11/10 12:53 AM, TrevorW wrote: How would one know if their piece was accepted into the book?

I sent pms to people when I accepted their work.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-12 12:23:28 Reply

At 9/11/10 11:24 AM, gumOnShoe wrote:
At 9/11/10 12:53 AM, TrevorW wrote: How would one know if their piece was accepted into the book?

Could I get comments on my piece then? Its rather short. If not ok :)

BBS Signature
funnyhomeboy
funnyhomeboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-12 16:52:01 Reply

So, I'm guessing further pieces aren't going to be accepted.

I'm interested, and I'm brainstorming a bit, but don't take my word for it if I say I'll put one in.

I put the BS in BBS.

BBS Signature
EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-17 17:47:45 Reply

Hey GumonShoe I'm gonna have about a 18,000 word story done by the end of october. It WILL be good and it WILL be polished down to the bone. So hopefully you'll keep accepting. I'm having my professor work on this with me and it should be worth the wait.

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-17 22:16:06 Reply

At 9/17/10 05:47 PM, EKublai wrote: Hey GumonShoe I'm gonna have about a 18,000 word story done by the end of october. It WILL be good and it WILL be polished down to the bone. So hopefully you'll keep accepting. I'm having my professor work on this with me and it should be worth the wait.

My mom is helping me with mine.

TheThing
TheThing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-19 12:46:55 Reply

At 9/12/10 12:23 PM, TrevorW wrote:
At 9/11/10 11:24 AM, gumOnShoe wrote:
Could I get comments on my piece then? Its rather short. If not ok :)

Even if you don't give comments, you should at least tell people their submissions haven't been selected. Nothing is worse then waiting for some kind of notice of acceptance, when you find out that the book is on the way to the printer.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-20 00:14:26 Reply

At 9/17/10 10:16 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:

My mom is helping me with mine.

My mommy broke both of my hands when I misspelled a word.

BBS Signature
WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-20 00:38:04 Reply

I've finally settled on a few key scenes I want to flesh out for my piece. So I'll probably have my first draft written up either tonight or tomorrow night, now that I've got the time to write for leisure. Working title is Crimson, could change it to Consumption. Either way, it's going to be a high-tension story of action, romance, blood and ketchup. Now I just got to figure out what style to go with. I'm thinking I could amp up the surrealism and make a real bizarro narrative out of it.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-20 21:17:53 Reply

I'm glad to hear more people are still planning on submitting! :D

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-09-20 21:36:04 Reply

At 9/20/10 09:17 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: I'm glad to hear more people are still planning on submitting! :D

So if we haven't heard from you we should consider our work rejected?

BBS Signature