New Topic Respond to this Topic
Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-05-31 17:47:05 Reply

So who all wants to edit? I'm working on my Robot Day submission at the moment, so I'm available to help edit anyones work for the anthology until I start working on my own Anthology story. Send me a PM if you need some extra eyes, I am on Google Wave, and MSN Instant Messenger.

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-06-01 10:05:13 Reply

At 5/30/10 02:08 PM, TrevorW wrote: Is it possible to have two things in the end product? Say a one page poem and a longer short story?

I would consider doing that. I don't think I'll do more than one substantial piece for any author (ie stories greater than 3000 words), but if you wanted to preface a story with a poem or end with one or just use it as a "hey here's something different before I get to my story" and it is good, it can go in.

Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
derek93
derek93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-06-03 12:38:44 Reply

can these submissions be in comic script format? i have two booklets full of writing but i dont have in the standard format for a short story or novella.

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-06-03 14:58:05 Reply

At 6/3/10 12:38 PM, derek93 wrote: can these submissions be in comic script format? i have two booklets full of writing but i dont have in the standard format for a short story or novella.

I'm focusing on "writing" at the moment. But, why don't you send me an example? You could load an image onto dumping grounds and send me a pm. (Dumping grounds is located in your account options if you don't know about it)

I can't say its what I'm looking for, but I'm willing to look at it. The book will likely be in black and white, and the emphasis will be on writing itself. So, we'll see?

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
noodleoodle
noodleoodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-06-04 01:35:16 Reply

Well I haven't even written anything down yet so I want a heads-up, should I be writing furiously fast right now or should I take it slow?

Also, is there a target audience i should be aiming for?

Yhtomit
Yhtomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-06-06 16:03:06 Reply

At 6/4/10 01:35 AM, noodleoodle wrote: Also, is there a target audience i should be aiming for?

Well, the general population of Newgrounds, I'd have thought, considering they'd be the people most likely to buy it.

MonkeyV
MonkeyV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-06-08 01:29:08 Reply

At 5/30/10 02:08 PM, TrevorW wrote:
Is it possible to have two things in the end product? Say a one page poem and a longer short story?

Is that going to be like Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk?

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-06-08 06:31:40 Reply

At 6/8/10 01:29 AM, MonkeyV wrote:
At 5/30/10 02:08 PM, TrevorW wrote:
Is it possible to have two things in the end product? Say a one page poem and a longer short story?
Is that going to be like Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk?

I meant two separate pieces ;/

Also, I would remember that the demographic of buyers will not be the general NG user. Most of the 14 year old users will not buy this book, probably better to write for the older users -- the ones in college and such. At least I would say so.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
PeterBarton
PeterBarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-06-11 04:24:16 Reply

I finished my submission. Should be in your google wave account, gumOnShoe.

munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-06-16 09:14:19 Reply

so hows everyone coming alone

Also we could try to use kickstart as a funding method

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-06-16 21:22:21 Reply

At 6/11/10 04:24 AM, PeterBarton wrote: I finished my submission. Should be in your google wave account, gumOnShoe.

I'll get to it, but its toward the end of my queue atm.

I did read 4 more stories this evening beyond what I had already read. I'm sorry if I'm going out of order at this point but I'm doing my best to crank through these.

I am focusing on those stories that were posted on wave. it would be a great help if you would literally post it on wave as text and not as an attachment as I can then edit/markup and respond in wave. That said, I am still reading those with attachments on wave first. I will get to my inbox after I finish those.

I am sad to say I was not able to accept anything I read tonight in its current state. All works needed heavy revision and several were full of the exact kind of errors I warned about. Things to watch out for:

1) Make sure your subject agrees with your verb
2) Make sure you write in one tense, correctly
3) Avoid the passive voice, please!
4) Do not get so absorbed in your plot that you forget you are writing about characters.
5) Don't submit something you just wrote, edit it first.
6) Try to use a grammar checker, it will find something.
7) Make sure your opening is both interesting and enlightening. After about 5 paragraphs I should be intrigued beyond belief and at least slightly familiar with who the main character is or what the main plot point is. The point is, there should be something there for me to latch onto in order to understand the world I'm entering into. Call it a hook, call it setting or characterization or liquid awesome... I don't care; just make sure it is there.
8) Do not under any circumstances contradict your all knowing narrator by having that narrator say something else
9) Be specific rather than vague.
10) Show instead of telling

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-06-16 22:30:05 Reply

Uni's out for the semester, so I should hopefully get cracking on a story quite soon. ;)

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
PeterBarton
PeterBarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-06-17 01:37:43 Reply

At 6/16/10 09:22 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: I am focusing on those stories that were posted on wave. it would be a great help if you would literally post it on wave as text and not as an attachment as I can then edit/markup and respond in wave. That said, I am still reading those with attachments on wave first. I will get to my inbox after I finish those.

I am sad to say I was not able to accept anything I read tonight in its current state. All works needed heavy revision and several were full of the exact kind of errors I warned about. Things to watch out for:

Sorry about making it an attachment. I also did a revision on one part of my story and found a typo that somehow missed the first million edits. If you want I can send the new version with it fixed, but the story is generally the same so I could wait until you've messaged me back with any revisions you deem fit.

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-07-15 02:56:25 Reply

Hey guys, I've been polishing my story for awhile now, intending it for this anthology. It seems like the activity on this thread has been next to none lately. What's up? Is this still happening?

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-11 19:04:07 Reply

I am still reading entries. I have removed all other commitments that I had made before deciding to do this, so this is now the only thing directly on my plate.

BTW, the wheel of time sucks in the middle, but the new author is totally worth the arduous haul up the literary slope. Just be prepared for 10,000+ pages of material.

I have decided not to disclose anything until I've read a significant portion of entries. Suffice to say, everything I've read needs more work, but I have definitely read some intriguing stuff. But, I'm still reading, and still accepting new stuff. I encourage you to continue contemplating, but at this point, hopefully you have written something...

I'm sure I'll have said something more substantial by September.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-11 21:30:02 Reply

All right, I lied, I've just accepted Adam Cook's entry pending further revisions.

1 spot taken. ;)

I'll keep reading now.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-12 00:27:36 Reply

At 8/11/10 09:30 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: All right, I lied, I've just accepted Adam Cook's entry pending further revisions.

1 spot taken. ;)

I'll keep reading now.

Who is Adam Cook?

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-12 14:03:20 Reply

Hmm, I'm tempted to submit a story, but it's already one freely viewable on this site (in a rougher form, but still...). I expect it'll be one both enjoyed by those looking for a quick fun read, but also by those interested in looking for deeper metaphorical meaning. Also, sex... everyone loves the sehks.

If you're willing to consider it despite the fact that it's already available I can pm you a link to the most recent version of it (or copypasta it into a wave, whatevah).

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-12 18:28:20 Reply

At 8/12/10 02:03 PM, Ravariel wrote: Hmm, I'm tempted to submit a story, but it's already one freely viewable on this site (in a rougher form, but still...). I expect it'll be one both enjoyed by those looking for a quick fun read, but also by those interested in looking for deeper metaphorical meaning. Also, sex... everyone loves the sehks.

If you're willing to consider it despite the fact that it's already available I can pm you a link to the most recent version of it (or copypasta it into a wave, whatevah).

Unfortunately wave sucks and is being turned off at an undetermined time. They decided it didn't make a big enough splash, excuse the pun. So, pm it to me if it'll fit or we can discuss where you can e-mail me via pm.

I'd hope you'd polish it up enough, maybe add more since its already available, but if its good I'm not going to let that stop me.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-12 21:09:41 Reply

Hey Shane, if you ever finish that story and polish it up that you put in my wave inbox, there's a good chance you could be in this!

:P

I have no idea what your newgrounds name is though. I like your style with dialogue. Log in to wave if you remember your password.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-12 21:53:12 Reply

Working on something soon. If anybody wants an example of my writing, here is one of the latest I've done... Over a year old by now I'd say, haven't read it lately so I'm not sure how I'd look at it now.. But check it out if you want...

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

SveinBarfrost
SveinBarfrost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-13 00:22:48 Reply

I'm actually kind of interested in this myself, I can send you a piece of writing to see if you'd consider the subject appropriate or not.

Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-13 01:17:36 Reply

Also, for the people who get their work approved in the book, I doubt it but I feel it's necessary to ask, do they receive a copy for free or will they have to pay as well? Just curious.

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-13 04:42:27 Reply

At 8/12/10 09:09 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: Hey Shane, if you ever finish that story and polish it up that you put in my wave inbox, there's a good chance you could be in this!

P
I have no idea what your newgrounds name is though. I like your style with dialogue. Log in to wave if you remember your password.

That would be me. It was an excerpt from a novel, the draft of which is currently floating in purgatory at about 25,000 words. I'd love to trim it and polish it and send a self-contained story out of it. Thanks.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-13 07:03:21 Reply

At 8/13/10 04:42 AM, WritersBlock wrote:
At 8/12/10 09:09 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: Hey Shane, if you ever finish that story and polish it up that you put in my wave inbox, there's a good chance you could be in this!

P
That would be me. It was an excerpt from a novel, the draft of which is currently floating in purgatory at about 25,000 words. I'd love to trim it and polish it and send a self-contained story out of it. Thanks.

lol, of course.

<<< been away too long

Sounds good to me.

On today's docket for reading are The notepad, Adrian's Demise, & Blurred Recollection. After that I'll be working on the one's people sent to me via pm. I want to read the stuff from wave first in case it gets shut down early.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-22 11:06:25 Reply

Moonlight Soldier:

There is a list that is formatted incorrectly, "These were no ordinary police, but a specially
trained unit whose soul purpose was to capture the most vile and dark
criminals, and filth the city had, something not even a storm could wash away"

Should be >> These were no ordinary police, but a specially traine unit whose soul purpose was to capture the most vile, dark criminals the city had (-or- a filth not even a storm could wash away).

The story itself is fine, there need to be more character details, maybe a flash back to what relationship adrian and the girl angel had. That's really the only thing that's lacking. Dile down on your use of the word "like" and you've got a solid piece. I'd like to see another version if you can take the time to do it again. I can't accept this one. But with a little more work, perhaps you can come up with something.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-22 21:42:43 Reply

Today I finished reading all of the submissions from Wave. I'll start in on my pms now.

In the future, please send your submissions to writing.ng ]at[ gmail d0t com

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
Lunaful
Lunaful
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-25 20:19:42 Reply

I'm looking for an editor, If someone who has the time, diligence and patience to read and correct my work then I will Pm it to you.

If my work is accepted as a part of the anthology credit will be given.

I will also inform you now that I have dyslexia.

Any one willing please Pm me as soon as you can.

Lunaful Is Awkwardly Honest. MSPA Crew

BBS Signature
TheThing
TheThing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-25 22:16:25 Reply

I've read through the thread, and I haven't seen a definitive answer to these questions.

What if I post my story to another forum (I still keep all the copyrights) to get criticism and help with editing? After I get my outside help, I'll submit the edited version to the anthology. So while a rough version will be floating around free online, a slightly different, more polished version will be in the anthology. Is this okay?

Also, are our real names published, or are our usernames in there? Or is it a combination of both?

batttery12
batttery12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation 2010-08-25 23:58:05 Reply

good idea!

lapop battery supplier and offer battery knowledge,welcome!

BBS Signature