New Topic Respond to this Topic
MonkeyV
MonkeyV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 28th, 2010 @ 12:24 AM Reply

Just a heads-up, I am writing something and plan to have it finished some time in June.

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 28th, 2010 @ 08:00 AM Reply

Hm, okay, the contest rules are clear, but I want to know a bit more about the publishing part..you said that you'll publish it (indirectly), which obviously means that the book will be printed..and you also said that it would be available only in the NG store..
But for anyone not living in the US postage fees will probably double the price someone has to pay, so why not make it also available via pdf so that anyone who's interested can buy it, no matter where he lives?
Also, on a side note, I feel that it's pretty ridiculous that even if you get your story published you should actually BUY the anthology..I've never seen that happen before, authors always get a copy of their book (even if it's a digital copy, which means that nobody loses any profit there)

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 28th, 2010 @ 09:15 AM Reply

At 5/28/10 08:00 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Hm, okay, the contest rules are clear, but I want to know a bit more about the publishing part..you said that you'll publish it (indirectly), which obviously means that the book will be printed..and you also said that it would be available only in the NG store..
But for anyone not living in the US postage fees will probably double the price someone has to pay, so why not make it also available via pdf so that anyone who's interested can buy it, no matter where he lives?
Also, on a side note, I feel that it's pretty ridiculous that even if you get your story published you should actually BUY the anthology..I've never seen that happen before, authors always get a copy of their book (even if it's a digital copy, which means that nobody loses any profit there)

I don't mind giving author's digital copies, but selling digital copies in the store begets sharing & piracy. Anyhow, it will be available in the lulu store as well, so it may be that we can find a way to reduce costs for those over seas.

And anyhow, if this were really a joint endeavor everyone would be putting in more than the cost of a single book to make sure it was published. Tom said he was willing to help with the publishing when time came, so circumstances might change (especially since I was planning on financing this all myself).

I can't say I don't feel a little insulted at the insinuations you're making, but I also understand that as an author it would be great to have a copy and some sort of recompense for participating. The only thing I can say is that I do not plan on profiting off of this book, and as such I do not feel there is an obligation to provide more than the already great reward of being published. If there is any profit that isn't rolled into a fund for another anthology, it'll be split equally among the writers. So, unless conditions change, I'll not be sinking an extra $200 that I don't have into providing each participant with a copy. That said, conditions can change and be reevaluated, so a final decision on that matter couldn't even be made or predicted until I actually have something to publish.

Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
full-metal-albatross
full-metal-albatross
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 28th, 2010 @ 10:18 AM Reply

"If you find yourself unable to edit your work, find an editor. If you can't do that, sorry, you weren't willing to put the time into your work to write it. Why should anyone be expected to read it, let alone buy it?"

Wow, what an asshole!

"If there is a single grammatical or spelling error in anything you send to me, I will delete it and I likely won't respond to you."

Dear gumonshoe, what the FUCK is your problem! :O

"We don't all march to the beat of just one drum SO STFU!"

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 28th, 2010 @ 12:35 PM Reply

At 5/28/10 10:18 AM, full-metal-albatross wrote: "If you find yourself unable to edit your work, find an editor. If you can't do that, sorry, you weren't willing to put the time into your work to write it. Why should anyone be expected to read it, let alone buy it?"

Wow, what an asshole!

"If there is a single grammatical or spelling error in anything you send to me, I will delete it and I likely won't respond to you."

Dear gumonshoe, what the FUCK is your problem! :O

It is called a The Draconian Rule of writing. It is a rule that is so annoyingly strict it seems preposterous and indeed to have been written by an asshole. It is the same rule that is used by employers in the job market. Ooops, this person doesn't know how to spell, we don't want him to represent us. So the resume goes in the trash. And, contrary to the belief that its ok if one or two errors slip through, in this case it isn't.

After reading contest entries for a year in which it was clear people were willing to submit completely crap work that they hadn't edited in an attempt to win prizes, I wanted to let people know I expected a little more this time around. You'll be happy to know the rule stands. I haven't accepted anything yet with an error. But those who have asked me to look over their writing before hand are told where they need to improve.

This is all an attempt at releasing quality work. Boy I'm glad I'm a big enough of an asshole to do it!

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
scottmale24
scottmale24
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 28th, 2010 @ 01:34 PM Reply

At 5/28/10 12:35 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: Boy I'm glad I'm a big enough of an asshole to do it!

Me too!

Art thread // Epic Quest! // Webcomic
Sig art by Kosmikophobia

BBS Signature
Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 28th, 2010 @ 04:08 PM Reply

At 5/28/10 01:34 PM, scottmale24 wrote:
At 5/28/10 12:35 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: Boy I'm glad I'm a big enough of an asshole to do it!
Me too!

Dear God Scottmale, and here i thought you were dead.

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both
"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 28th, 2010 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 5/28/10 09:15 AM, gumOnShoe wrote: I don't mind giving author's digital copies, but selling digital copies in the store begets sharing & piracy. Anyhow, it will be available in the lulu store as well, so it may be that we can find a way to reduce costs for those over seas.

Piracy?Well, I don't think that anyone would be enough of an asshole to pirate a book by an independent publisher, especially if it's NG-related..
Anyway, if you don't mind giving the authors digital copies then there's no problem...it's your call after all.

I can't say I don't feel a little insulted at the insinuations you're making, but I also understand that as an author it would be great to have a copy and some sort of recompense for participating. The only thing I can say is that I do not plan on profiting off of this book, and as such I do not feel there is an obligation to provide more than the already great reward of being published. If there is any profit that isn't rolled into a fund for another anthology, it'll be split equally among the writers. So, unless conditions change, I'll not be sinking an extra $200 that I don't have into providing each participant with a copy. That said, conditions can change and be reevaluated, so a final decision on that matter couldn't even be made or predicted until I actually have something to publish.

Well, sorry if you felt insulted, I didn't mean to insinuate anything...just that it seemed weird that someone helps to write a book and doesn't get a copy.
Although since you're paying for all this, giving a physical copy of the book would be pretty costly, and I understand that..that's why I said that digital copies were a better idea.

veilofanoath
veilofanoath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 28th, 2010 @ 09:53 PM Reply

Would poetry be an acceptable entry?

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 29th, 2010 @ 08:41 PM Reply

At 5/28/10 09:53 PM, veilofanoath wrote: Would poetry be an acceptable entry?

Lurk more. If the poetry is exceptional, then it may be considered. The purpose of this anthology, though, is to present stories that reflect the interests of the Newgrounds community as a whole, making the anthology itself a desirable purchase. If the poetry is entertaining, and would capture the attention of the anthology's audience, I don't see why it wouldn't be considered.

That being said, I'm currently working on my own submission. I've been out of the NG loop for a while, but I've been lurking the writing forum. This definitely sounds like a cool endeavor and a great showcase for NG's writing talent. I look forward to this, hopefully with my submission included :P

Theonewithoutaname
Theonewithoutaname
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 29th, 2010 @ 09:09 PM Reply

This sounds great! AS couple of questions though.
Is there a specific genre any of us have to write?
Is it required that we stick to 15,000 and under, or are you guys looking for page numbers?
Good luck everyone!

Check out these grody links Like my store or my art blog for wannabe depth here

thenemisis14
thenemisis14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 29th, 2010 @ 09:25 PM Reply

I have a story I can submit, it is about 10,000 words long. It was something I wrote throughout the '09-'10 school year. It is (mostly) edited but I'm not sure if it is the kind of story you want. I can PM you a copy if you want after I clean up the bits I have not edited.

P.S. People that have read the story have said its a bit preachy, so if it comes across that way...

Eight Words the Wiccan Rede Fullfill... "An' it harm none, do as ye' will." Remember always the Rule of Three for what ye' do returns thrice to thee.

tinytim12
tinytim12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 30th, 2010 @ 01:50 AM Reply

Well I have a question.
Can the story use characters from other works of fiction? E.g. Batman

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature
Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 30th, 2010 @ 02:42 AM Reply

At 5/30/10 01:50 AM, tinytim12 wrote: Well I have a question.

I don't think that would be very appropriate, do you? This is something going in the NG store, if you really wanted to submit a fanfiction, you would probably want to use an NG character.

Then there's the matter of most fan fiction sucks really really bad, so my money is on gumOnShoe saying no.

dereksbrown
dereksbrown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 30th, 2010 @ 11:44 AM Reply

Hey man,
If you want to contribute, but are afraid you can't be grammatically correct, I'll be glad to proofread for you. I'm actually an English major, and I'm glad to help you out if I can.

dereksbrown
dereksbrown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 30th, 2010 @ 11:48 AM Reply

Hey all!
I would like to put my finger in the pudding and write for this anthology, so there's a head's up from my camp. I was just wondering is there any genre limitation?

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 30th, 2010 @ 01:24 PM Reply

1) Poetry? sure if its good.
2) Genre? Just about anything goes as long as its written well.
3) Word limit? 20,000 is definitely the maximum. I may ask writers to beef up sections or cut down after I read a story. If I do, its likely to benefit your story more than anything about the particular length.
4) Fanfiction? No, and here's why. We are selling this book and those characters are trademarked/copyrighted. If you want to write about a superhero, then it is entirely possible to come up with your own hero/backstory/gadgets/powers/setting/pe ople and write a new story. Anything you would write in a fan fiction almost certainly can work just as well with new characters and a different setting, but its the legal ramifications that I'd like to avoid.

5) I have about six stories to read through right now, but I'm on vacation and out of town. So, if you sent me something via wave, I have received it, I just haven't had time to read yet. I WILL read and give comments as soon as I can. I just ask that everyone be patient.

At 5/30/10 01:50 AM, tinytim12 wrote: Well I have a question.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 30th, 2010 @ 01:49 PM Reply

At 5/30/10 01:24 PM, gumOnShoe wrote:
5) I have about six stories to read through right now, but I'm on vacation and out of town. So, if you sent me something via wave, I have received it, I just haven't had time to read yet. I WILL read and give comments as soon as I can. I just ask that everyone be patient.

All right. I'll send my story to keeping that you're on Vacation in mind. I just wasn't sure.

Thanks.

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both
"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 30th, 2010 @ 02:08 PM Reply

Is it possible to have two things in the end product? Say a one page poem and a longer short story?

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
funnyhomeboy
funnyhomeboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 30th, 2010 @ 03:47 PM Reply

At 5/30/10 01:24 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: 1) Poetry? sure if its good.
3) Word limit? 20,000 is definitely the maximum. I may ask writers to beef up sections or cut down after I read a story. If I do, its likely to benefit your story more than anything about the particular length.

So, would poetry created during the Poetry Battles be sufficient enough to submit?

The book could be split from Short Stories, to Novellas, to Poetry, IMO.

I put the BS in BBS.

BBS Signature
MoonlightSoldier
MoonlightSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 30th, 2010 @ 09:01 PM Reply

What if the story written is about two characters in what some would call a 'side adventure', and is trying too make their own project with them? I already sent in mine (i'm a fast writer, whatever comes into mind i type) would you need some basic information on these characters for the story too actually make more sense, if it could, or would we have too include that within the story in some way

btw, please pm me on newgrounds, i'm not familiar with google wave and won't use it very often, if ever after this is over

WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 30th, 2010 @ 09:30 PM Reply

At 5/30/10 03:47 PM, funnyhomeboy wrote:
At 5/30/10 01:24 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: 1) Poetry? sure if its good.
So, would poetry created during the Poetry Battles be sufficient enough to submit?

The book could be split from Short Stories, to Novellas, to Poetry, IMO.

The thing about the anthology is that it'll be full of quality material that no-one's read yet. Why would someone buy the anthology from the store if we've got the poems/stories freely available on the forums? Gum's said this quite a few times already.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 30th, 2010 @ 10:55 PM Reply

At 5/30/10 09:30 PM, WritersBlock wrote:
The thing about the anthology is that it'll be full of quality material that no-one's read yet. Why would someone buy the anthology from the store if we've got the poems/stories freely available on the forums? Gum's said this quite a few times already.

Also the poetry battle materials are rushed and such. A good poem would more than likely take more than a quick day to write, depending on length. I personally would spend a large chunk of time making sure it was perfect.

BBS Signature
TheSubject666
TheSubject666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 31st, 2010 @ 02:13 PM Reply

Is this still open to enter or am I too late?

The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it. - E. Hemingway

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 31st, 2010 @ 02:14 PM Reply

At 5/31/10 02:13 PM, TheSubject666 wrote: Is this still open to enter or am I too late?

Plenty of time left, and hell again Mr. 666.

BBS Signature
TheSubject666
TheSubject666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 31st, 2010 @ 02:16 PM Reply

At 5/31/10 02:14 PM, TrevorW wrote:
At 5/31/10 02:13 PM, TheSubject666 wrote: Is this still open to enter or am I too late?

How much time exactly?

and its a pleasure TRev, glad u didnt forget me.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 31st, 2010 @ 02:20 PM Reply

At 5/31/10 02:16 PM, TheSubject666 wrote:
At 5/31/10 02:14 PM, TrevorW wrote:
How much time exactly?

and its a pleasure TRev, glad u didnt forget me.

July is when the first draft is due. He was grade A work and all.

I also took a month off.

BBS Signature
TheSubject666
TheSubject666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 31st, 2010 @ 02:22 PM Reply

At 5/31/10 02:20 PM, TrevorW wrote:

I also took a month off.

wants or was? just a bit confused here

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 31st, 2010 @ 02:24 PM Reply

At 5/31/10 02:22 PM, TheSubject666 wrote:
At 5/31/10 02:20 PM, TrevorW wrote:

I also took a month off.
wants or was? just a bit confused here

wants*

The goal of this endeavor is to produce the best product possible.

BBS Signature
TheSubject666
TheSubject666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 31st, 2010 @ 02:30 PM Reply

At 5/31/10 02:24 PM, TrevorW wrote: wants*

The goal of this endeavor is to produce the best product possible.

Ooh fun. that means revising, redrafting and so more revising. But I'll try