New Topic Respond to this Topic
Koji98
Koji98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 24th, 2010 @ 04:58 AM Reply

Finally thought of a concept I think could work in the anthology and now trying to flesh it out.

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 24th, 2010 @ 11:27 PM Reply

At 5/20/10 07:40 PM, gumOnShoe wrote:
Anyway, Wolf-Raven, you need to do some heavy revisions and some editing. I found an error in your first paragraph where you should have said "but it did" instead of "but it didn't." I can keep reading it and return edits, but you'll need to sign up for google wave so that I can mark it. Google wave is free to the public now, so anyone can sign up without an invitation.

Alright, i shall do that. Thanks for you input. It helps to know that there's at least a consideration.

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both
"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 25th, 2010 @ 01:21 AM Reply

I have been working on something. (just a heads up)

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
The-Psycho-Ragdoller
The-Psycho-Ragdoller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 26th, 2010 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 4/13/10 09:24 PM, gumOnShoe wrote:
At 4/13/10 05:41 PM, Flyingdingo0827 wrote: I'm sorry but don't you think you're setting the bar a little high?
No, if I'm putting $300 dollars towards this, the least you can do is hand me a story that's flawless in terms of grammar & spelling

I'll get right on that.

shadow1124
shadow1124
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 26th, 2010 @ 10:38 PM Reply

At 4/13/10 02:19 PM, gumOnShoe wrote:

Hmmm... I'd be up for having a story of mine published. I won the last writing contest and I know I can do even better. My only issue is scheduling time around my job and internship, so I need an idea of when you would need my story by. Be that as it may, I think I can have something strong before July, which is the tentative deadline, correct?

I'll keep you posted. If there are any comments about my entry into the Jan/Feb MWC you have, please tell me. The more feedback I get, the better I can make my story

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 04:53 AM Reply

Uh... I find the idea really interesting.

But my first language is French and I've never taken advanced English classes. So I guess even if my story is the best of all, it'll still contain a bunch of grammatical or syntax errors.

So unless anyone wants to revise my text, I guess I shouldn't even bother.

But I'm very motivated by this project. : /

zakei
zakei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 05:09 AM Reply

sounds really interesting. would you accept an essay written by my younger sister? its very definitely under 15k words, and its one of the most interesting essays i've ever read. however its only about 2 sheets of paper though, so... whats your opinion on that? (i'll edit out any grammatical errors and whatnot so it won't be otherwise unacceptable)

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 07:07 AM Reply

At 5/27/10 04:53 AM, FBIpolux wrote: Uh... I find the idea really interesting.

But my first language is French and I've never taken advanced English classes. So I guess even if my story is the best of all, it'll still contain a bunch of grammatical or syntax errors.

So unless anyone wants to revise my text, I guess I shouldn't even bother.

But I'm very motivated by this project. : /

If you get a wave account and everything I'll run through your story for you. You've never been atrocious with grammar before, even if English is your second language. In a lot of ways (not all the time), being bilingual helps, imo.

Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 07:09 AM Reply

At 5/27/10 05:09 AM, zakei wrote: sounds really interesting. would you accept an essay written by my younger sister? its very definitely under 15k words, and its one of the most interesting essays i've ever read. however its only about 2 sheets of paper though, so... whats your opinion on that? (i'll edit out any grammatical errors and whatnot so it won't be otherwise unacceptable)

It would depend on what it was about... I could see humurous essays making it in, probably not anything that the average newgrounder would find boring though.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
Oobeedoopskadoobie
Oobeedoopskadoobie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 09:39 AM Reply

Gum on shoe- there's a good do it yourself publisher called lulu. You send them the text, they print it, and they also put it up on their store. Depending on the length of the book, they range from $5 to $30 or so, and you can buy a large sum, and then sell those on the NG store and keep the profit...

*** Also, if anyone needs an editor for their story, I would be honored to be one. PM me if you have a story you want me to edit.

Thank you,
--Oobeedoopskadoobie

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 10:19 AM Reply

At 5/27/10 07:09 AM, gumOnShoe wrote: It would depend on what it was about... I could see humurous essays making it in, probably not anything that the average newgrounder would find boring though.

I know that I kind of balked at the original idea and have spent a lot of time lurking in this thread, before committing anything, but you never know, my interest might be back in it.

Having watched the cult film "Withnail and I", there is now an angle of inspiration for taking forward this semi autobiographical piece that I mooted some time ago.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 10:31 AM Reply

At 5/27/10 09:39 AM, Oobeedoopskadoobie wrote: Gum on shoe- there's a good do it yourself publisher called lulu. You send them the text, they print it, and they also put it up on their store. Depending on the length of the book, they range from $5 to $30 or so, and you can buy a large sum, and then sell those on the NG store and keep the profit...

The original plan was to use lulu, so unless someone comes up with a better site, I agree and I'll be looking into more details with that when I have an idea of how many quality submissions there have been, what kind of artwork we can get for the book etc. Obv. color costs more than black and white, but I'm sure Tom knows about printing since they have posters, so I look forward to a color book jacket at the least!

*** Also, if anyone needs an editor for their story, I would be honored to be one. PM me if you have a story you want me to edit.

Thank you,
--Oobeedoopskadoobie

I'll add you to a list of editors. Thanks for the help. Also, if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
EternitySpent
EternitySpent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Melancholy
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 10:48 AM Reply

So just a quick question about content.

Is it anything goes as long as it's not blatantly racist, hateful or something along the lines of "SO I FUCKZED MY SISTER UP HER ASSHOLE HARDMANS STYLE, while Sonic watched and jerked off!" Or are there any particular subjects that should be avoided?

Also, is there going to be any notion of an underlying theme that connects the stories or just hectic and piecemeal?

A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with weed is better.

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 10:59 AM Reply

At 5/27/10 10:48 AM, EternitySpent wrote: So just a quick question about content.

Is it anything goes as long as it's not blatantly racist, hateful or something along the lines of "SO I FUCKZED MY SISTER UP HER ASSHOLE HARDMANS STYLE, while Sonic watched and jerked off!" Or are there any particular subjects that should be avoided?

Yeah, I mean, it also has to be "good," lol, but that's subjective to some extent. I'm not going to tell anyone to avoid anything specifically. I think you all have a good idea of what constitutes a decent story and good writing. Obviously, if you're worried, there's a reason and asking specifically might help, but if you feel you need to ask, you probably don't really need to.

Also, is there going to be any notion of an underlying theme that connects the stories or just hectic and piecemeal?

It'll depend on what we get. I'll likely try to organize the stories in such a way that there is flow between one story and the next, if its possible, but you aren't bound by a theme this time around. If you need themes, I'm sure searching writers block on google will be more than helpful.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
Sidorio
Sidorio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 12:43 PM Reply

I'm extremely keen on this idea so I'll write something soon. How is it looking so far? Have you accepted anything yet?

Lies make baby Jesus cry, bitch.

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 12:48 PM Reply

At 5/27/10 12:43 PM, Sidorio wrote: I'm extremely keen on this idea so I'll write something soon. How is it looking so far? Have you accepted anything yet?

I haven't seen enough work, but I have seen some promising stuff that could easily be pushed in the right direction. This kind of stuff is slow to build, but so is a good story. I want people to rush into this and work, but at the same time, I want people to take enough time to write something good.

July, at this point, is the first marker for drafts. I may ask for a second set of drafts at the beginning of the fall, and then hopefully we can work out some stuff. But right now, lets all shoot for sometime during the month of July to have a finished first draft.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 12:51 PM Reply

i should get started with this sometime soon, grammar is not my strongpoint so it would need some reviewing before i would submit

BBS Signature
Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 01:14 PM Reply

All right Gum, i have gotten Google wave. I'll send a message when you next have the chance.

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both
"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 01:31 PM Reply

At 5/27/10 01:14 PM, Wolf-Raven wrote: All right Gum, i have gotten Google wave. I'll send a message when you next have the chance.

Wave is persistent, kind of like e-mail or pms. I have an inbox. If you add me to a wave, the next time I get on I'll be able to read and comment, and vice versa.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
scottmale24
scottmale24
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 03:56 PM Reply

Am I also allowed to do this?

And any restrictions on length?

Art thread // Epic Quest! // Webcomic
Sig art by Kosmikophobia

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 04:00 PM Reply

At 5/27/10 03:56 PM, scottmale24 wrote: Am I also allowed to do this?

No one is excluded from submitting a piece.

And any restrictions on length?

Write a short story. From wiki:

Length

See the article novella for related debate about length.
Determining what exactly separates a short story from longer fictional formats is problematic. A classic definition of a short story is that one should be able to read it in one sitting, a point most notably made in Edgar Allan Poe's essay "The Philosophy of Composition" (1846). Other definitions place the maximum word length at anywhere from 7,000 to 9,000 words. As a point of reference for the science fiction genre writer, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America defines short story length in its Nebula Awards for science fiction submission guidelines as having a word count of less than 7,500.[1] In contemporary usage, the term short story most often refers to a work of fiction no longer than 20,000 words and no shorter than 1,000. For instance, Mary Doyle Springer in her book Forms of the Modern Novella (University of Chicago Press, 1975) takes the novella as a narrative of middle length (roughly 15,000 to 50,000 words) between the short story and the novel. Even so, those attempts seem arbitrary, and the writer Graham Good concedes that "there are always borderline cases".[2] Stories with less than 1,000 words are sometimes referred to "short short stories",[3] or "flash fiction" if they are shorter than 750 words.

Try to keep it under 20,000, and you're probably fine. It should be readable and fit in a book with other stories. That's about it in terms of length.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
scottmale24
scottmale24
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 04:03 PM Reply

I assume no pictures as well?

Sig art by Kosmikophobia

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 04:08 PM Reply

At 5/27/10 04:03 PM, scottmale24 wrote: I assume no pictures as well?

If you do make them, they'd probably need to be black & white. I'm not against pictures, this is newgrounds, just probably keep it to a justifiable minimum since each page will cost us money. Also, I'm sure lulu will allow the printing of pictures.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 04:58 PM Reply

At 5/27/10 04:08 PM, gumOnShoe wrote:
If you do make them, they'd probably need to be black & white. I'm not against pictures, this is newgrounds, just probably keep it to a justifiable minimum since each page will cost us money. Also, I'm sure lulu will allow the printing of pictures.

perhaps we can turn it into a contest with the art guys for promotion and stuff
but that's for later
Also what's your stance on epical poetry?
and how phylosophical can we get?

BBS Signature
scottmale24
scottmale24
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 05:04 PM Reply

At 5/27/10 04:58 PM, munio wrote: perhaps we can turn it into a contest with the art guys for promotion and stuff

I assume the cover would be done by the art people.

Sig art by Kosmikophobia

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 05:38 PM Reply

some writers might want to have some illustrations in their stories

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 05:46 PM Reply

At 5/27/10 05:38 PM, munio wrote: some writers might want to have some illustrations in their stories

If you are writing a 10-20k word story it should be able to hold its self up without pictures, if you ask me.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
Ringwraith1
Ringwraith1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 06:07 PM Reply

I am definitely in. I wrote a story last semester for school, and did a lot of editing on it, and had others edit it as well. I'll just run over it a few more times and it should be good.

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 06:19 PM Reply

At 5/27/10 04:58 PM, munio wrote:
At 5/27/10 04:08 PM, gumOnShoe wrote:
perhaps we can turn it into a contest with the art guys for promotion and stuff
but that's for later
Also what's your stance on epical poetry?
and how phylosophical can we get?

Your guideline for this is, "Do I want this piece to represent me as a writer, and will it hold Newgrounds user's attention who would buy a book from the newgrounds store." So basically, you are aiming to please newgrounds users who have money to spend. Its up to you, what you write. I and probably a few other trusted members / writers will have final say, but ultimately YOU should write something you ENJOY writing.

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Anthology Invitation May. 27th, 2010 @ 11:26 PM Reply

Wow, I've got a lot of work for me this month, I've already started outlining a story for the Robot Day contest, and now I'm seeing this :)