00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Danielr1203 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

[art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab!

46,374 Views | 541 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-05-31 06:15:53

so within this milestone who has made it in?

Current Art Thread some NSFW (2022)

Past Art Thread (2013-2020)

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-05-31 17:34:19

At 5/29/10 10:16 PM, Occluded wrote: Sockembop & jwhitt

Those pieces don't follow the rules. Pick any color. You get that color, white, and any colors between the two. You've both used shades that are darker. If you don't get what I'm saying check page 9 my reply to:

Doodstormer - Are-You-Evil2 - THEANTIFULP - JaciMoos

about halfway down

My previous submission, Lovecraft (page 2), was approved as being "Monochrome Enough" by J-qb, the creator of this thread. It used a shade of RED as it's color, not PURE RED. If I used PURE RED it would have looked at least several thousand times uglier than is now, which is a difficult thing to imagine.

I'm not going to edit my picture and now I'm not going to post another so whether I'm correct or not is a moot point. If they don't qualify, then jump up my butt. (~_~)

Pick a color, they said. So I said, I choose you Dark Blue!!!1

BBS Signature

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-05-31 18:24:09

At 5/31/10 05:34 PM, jwhitt wrote:
My previous submission, Lovecraft (page 2), was approved as being "Monochrome Enough" by J-qb, the creator of this thread. It used a shade of RED as it's color, not PURE RED. If I used PURE RED it would have looked at least several thousand times uglier than is now, which is a difficult thing to imagine.

Not the issue. You can choose a darker color that you can lighten to white. The problem is that the background color (the sky if you will) doesn't fall between the darkest color on the piece and white. There is wiggle room. It's hard to be exact, and you might skate by. It's close. So is JaciMoos' piece. But you're not strictly following the rules.

In my mind your first one doesn't either, and it got in so who knows. I didn't even see it.

I'm not going to edit my picture and now I'm not going to post another so whether I'm correct or not is a moot point. If they don't qualify, then jump up my butt. (~_~)

Wow. Relax dude, just trying to help.

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-05-31 19:22:25

Those pieces don't follow the rules.

Yeah, well can you just not use it then? I don't want to fix it. Thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-05-31 20:38:49

Those pieces don't follow the rules. Pick any color. You get that color, white, and any colors between the two. You've both used shades that are darker

why cant the darker colour just be their starter colour, its a hella lot easier, i dont know if iv said that before, it gives more of the shades to play with

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-05-31 20:43:31

At 5/31/10 08:38 PM, Ashman wrote: why cant the darker colour just be their starter colour, its a hella lot easier, i dont know if iv said that before, it gives more of the shades to play with

Agreed. And black adds sexy contrast that makes things nice to look at. But those colours contain black and black is not allowed and those are the rules. So we must follow them...

By the way, when I said I don't wanna fix it I lied. Yeah, thats right, I'm a liar. What of it? Piss off.

BBS Signature

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-05-31 21:28:02

At 5/31/10 08:38 PM, Ashman wrote: why cant the darker colour just be their starter colour, its a hella lot easier, i dont know if iv said that before, it gives more of the shades to play with

People can pick any 'start color' they want. The idea is to use that ONE color and go from IT to WHITE (or nothing). Like the pen or pencil pieces... you have that one color, and you can go lighter, but you can't go darker. The ink/lead is as dark as it can be... but any shade that one pencil/pen can make can be used... that's it.

So, for example, sockembop's revised piece has oranges and yellow. Could he have achieved that spectrum of colors with one pencil? or one marker? or one tube of paint? No. Therefore it is not correct (sowwie, sockie!)

And just to be clear... when we say someones piece 'isn't right', it doesn't mean it isn't good... so please don't get offended. It just means it doesn't fit the specs for this particular collab. We want to get as many people to participate as possible... and we will happily work with anyone that needs it to ensure their piece is included... but you have to be willing to work with us too. This is supposed to be a FUN community project... so, let's have fun! okay?!?! :D

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-05-31 21:40:24

At 5/31/10 09:28 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: So, for example, sockembop's revised piece has oranges and yellow. Could he have achieved that spectrum of colors with one pencil? or one marker? or one tube of paint? No. Therefore it is not correct (sowwie, sockie!)

Damn, you're right, there is yellow and orange... I may try one more time, but that's it. This pic has gone from 6.75/10 effort to about 7.4839... One it hits 7.5 my laziness level of 7.49/10 will be surpassed and I will no longer be able to keep my self from sitting on the couch and watching re-runs.

BBS Signature

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-05-31 21:46:08

At 5/31/10 09:28 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: People can pick any 'start color' they want. The idea is to use that ONE color and go from IT to WHITE (or nothing). Like the pen or pencil pieces... you have that one color, and you can go lighter, but you can't go darker.

sure you can, just press down harder :P

that was a joke not serious dont kill me i wanna be in this collab at some point.....

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-05-31 21:55:20

At 5/31/10 09:40 PM, Sockembop wrote: Damn, you're right, there is yellow and orange... I may try one more time, but that's it. This pic has gone from 6.75/10 effort to about 7.4839... One it hits 7.5 my laziness level of 7.49/10 will be surpassed and I will no longer be able to keep my self from sitting on the couch and watching re-runs.

Yeah... I like the orange and yellow one better.

BBS Signature

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-01 13:12:35

Sockembop - jwhitt - Doodstormer - Are-You-Evil2 - THEANTIFULP - JaciMoos

I apologize if I've come off as pissed off or derogatory. My language has been getting clipped and that I think has been unintentionally changing the tone. I'm sorry if you felt I was judging you. In the strictest sense I suppose I was. But as Renaenae said It's not that I think your pieces are bad. In the beginning I tried to encourage as well as correct, and I think lately my posts to you guys might have come off as harsher than I intended. And it's because I haven't been doing more than saying "that's not right".

I hope you all participate, and I apologize for my tone.

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-01 13:49:26

how to make your stuff easily monochrome: (photoshop is gay) right click on picture file, click edit with gimp, colours tab, colorize, pick colour, done! LOLLAPALUZAROTFLMAOSHTISMPAD!

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-01 14:03:17

At 6/1/10 01:12 PM, Occluded wrote: Sockembop - jwhitt - Doodstormer - Are-You-Evil2 - THEANTIFULP - JaciMoos

I apologize if I've come off as pissed off or derogatory. My language has been getting clipped and that I think has been unintentionally changing the tone.

Occluded Occluded Occluded Just Occluded Really So Ignore This Line

I'd be pissed off too if I had to keep explaining the rules and morons like me didn't pay attention.

BBS Signature

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-01 14:35:50

At 6/1/10 02:03 PM, Sockembop wrote: I'd be pissed off too if I had to keep explaining the rules and morons like me didn't pay attention.

Thanks. You're not a moron. I think everyone just has a preconceived notion of what Monochromatic means. So they are kinda skipping past the way it's defined for this collab. I'm sincerely not pissed off. So my tone is a problem. A little elaboration on my part would help. I'm just being too concise, and I think it's coming off as pissed off.

I liked your pieces by the way. That last one does look better with more shades. But that's the challenge. If you're using photoshop you can play with gradient maps as a way to correct, and push the contrast a little further.

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-01 15:48:08

In my mind your first one doesn't either, and it got in so who knows. I didn't even see it.

In the first entry I know for a fact that I used proper colors because I drew it in MSPaint using the vertical gradient color picker. The second one I might have gotten a little off on some of the color because it was nearly impossible for me to pick exact gradient colors in the version of Shi-Painter I was using at the time.

Though, it may appear that I used different colors because I intentionally picked from extremes as it would have looked twice as hideous if I let the colors blend, but if that's what it means to be accepted as truly monochrome... then that's not fun at all.

Wow. Relax dude, just trying to help.

Nah, you got me wrong. I wasn't angry, though I was a little bemused that we're all taking this so seriously. Still, nothing on earth could ever make me edit them. For one, the result is ALWAYS terrible. Secondly, I have no grand expectations of even being featured in this collaboration. I did it for teh lulz and I'm not lulzing anymore.

Good luck to everyone and remember, don't just read the rules... anticipate them. :)

BBS Signature

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-01 16:02:33

have you ever thought that lovecraft wasnt accepted because of the content? cuz it is a bit extreme

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-01 16:11:32

umm... and soo... am i in? or you want me to delete it from my arts? if you want i will surely delete it, becouse you said you want stuff specifically for this collab!

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-01 16:35:07

At 6/1/10 04:11 PM, armydanywolf wrote: umm... and soo... am i in? or you want me to delete it from my arts? if you want i will surely delete it, becouse you said you want stuff specifically for this collab!

Nah, you can submit it to your art section no problem. However; I do feel it is a bit empty; and you saying it was a quicky makes me think you can do better. And seeing as you now have the time, I expect you to do so ;)

At 6/1/10 03:48 PM, jwhitt wrote: Still, nothing on earth could ever make me edit them.

The first one was correct, the second one isnt.
The first one is in, the second one isnt.

At 6/1/10 04:02 PM, Ashman wrote: have you ever thought that lovecraft wasnt accepted because of the content? cuz it is a bit extreme

How would that be a problem? to quote Tom Lehrer:
Smut!
Give me smut and nothing but!
A dirty novel I can't shut,
If it's uncut,
and unsubt- le.
I thrill
To any book like Fanny Hill,
And I suppose I always will,
If it is swill
And really fil
thy.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-01 18:26:33

I called it the original because I created the image, then realized I had to do that monochrome thing in photoshop before submitting it. After I did, I figured instead of having the skintone be a weird green and it wasn't going to affect my initial submission, I might as well change it.

Not that it matters anymore, nor do I give a fuck if you believed me even if I did or not. I know what and why I did what I did. However, I do apologize and thank the two putting this together for their consideration even though I was/am being rude. I'll be alright not being included.

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-01 19:02:30

Who needs a hobby, like tennis or philately? I've got a hobby- rereading Lady Chatterley.

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-01 22:17:27

Fatty cat. My last one... Hopefully. :(
Qualiteh.

BBS Signature

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-01 23:09:02

At 6/1/10 10:17 PM, Spiddles wrote: Fatty cat. My last one... Hopefully. :(
Qualiteh.

HA! I enjoyed that.

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-01 23:33:41

I REALLY need to get around to doing something for this... I want to, I just can't think of anything..

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-02 21:52:58

At 6/1/10 11:33 PM, M-Vero wrote: I REALLY need to get around to doing something for this... I want to, I just can't think of anything..

I could help... maybe...

Flying saucers, Stonehenge, crop-circles, rotting dissected cows, and crazy rituals from the B.C. times. Alright, GO GO GO!!!

BBS Signature

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-06 02:20:24

At 5/26/10 03:59 AM, J-qb wrote:
At 5/23/10 02:17 AM, JaciMoos wrote: Not really monochromatic... I don't think :/
Just purple, with shading n'such.
Random doodling.
The sizes were 500x500 so I thought I'd submit it n' see if it got in XD
No big deal if it doesn't, just thought It deserved a try.
Oopsie, skipped this one;
I like it but this is not exactly the thing Im looking for in the collab. Id prefer something like your other piece.

XD
I was wondering why no one mentioned this.
I'll make another like the other (lol, rhyme) in a bit ^.^

Omnomnom.

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-06 16:58:43

At 6/5/10 01:06 PM, THEANTIFULP wrote: are submissions still being acceptded? if so for how long?

sure are, till we have enough.

At 6/6/10 02:20 AM, JaciMoos wrote: I'll make another like the other in a bit ^.^

yay

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-06 18:54:14

Hey, hope it's not to late to join the collab.. link to the .png

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-06 19:06:06

At 6/6/10 06:54 PM, Freysev wrote: Hey, hope it's not to late to join the collab.. link to the .png

^ Not monochrome

Monochrome

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-06 19:31:27

At 6/6/10 07:06 PM, M-Vero wrote:
At 6/6/10 06:54 PM, Freysev wrote: Hey, hope it's not to late to join the collab.. link to the .png
^ Not monochrome

Monochrome

okey, sry, i've never made somethink monochrome befor, how did you change it to make it like that??
once again, sry if im a bit noobish, but i'm trying to learn:)

Response to [art Collab] Monochrome Art Collab! 2010-06-06 19:52:05