00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cosoden just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

explosion tech.

2,580 Views | 32 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

explosion tech. 2010-04-07 20:36:00

Im trying to animate explosions.
and im using sprites as a reference.
good idea or bad idea?
thanks much

-Joe.

Current Art Thread some NSFW (2022)

Past Art Thread (2013-2020)

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-04-08 00:13:04

I am not sure about sprites (quality dependent) but in Flash CS4 all i would do is simply throw in garbage loads of single frame, hand drawn explosions along with a couple blurred + special effects mc's floating around.l

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-14 01:54:07

Thanks for your feedback.
i watched the video and have picked up a few helpful tips.
thanks

This is kind of like, end of the night...fuck it, kind of a deal.
but i still need help with explosions.
i started off with the lines and such, the colors reminded me of Tigger, so that's why he'e there. To make it more fun for you guys.

P

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-14 10:01:12

Something I threw together for someone who was asking a similar question a few days ago, feel free to use this as a reference, I know I wished I had something like this while trying to animate my first explosions :P

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/1373 65702db6c38a520fd7110546cbe4

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-14 16:21:57

At 9/14/10 10:01 AM, Marsume wrote: Something I threw together for someone who was asking a similar question a few days ago, feel free to use this as a reference, I know I wished I had something like this while trying to animate my first explosions :P

can i use them? i will credit you.

cop

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-15 00:25:33

At 9/14/10 10:01 AM, Marsume wrote: Something I threw together for someone who was asking a similar question a few days ago, feel free to use this as a reference, I know I wished I had something like this while trying to animate my first explosions :P

ah
thank you so much.

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-15 07:14:29

ugh
oh well
better luck tomorow.

check it please

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-15 15:04:31

At 9/14/10 04:21 PM, Prometheus13 wrote:
can i use them? i will credit you.

No, you may not. They are to be used as reference only. Sorry.

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-16 03:55:54

Could you guys help me figure out how to outline properly?

In this one i try to outline too thickly/
and in this one it's too thin.

Any suggestions on line weight?

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-16 11:38:38

I would recommend to not get bent over about your draftsmanship, especially in your rough animations.
Focus on getting the action down pat, then your line quality afterwords.

But to answer your question, don't use one line weight. Use thick to thin lines. Imagine the lines as containing the explosion within with the apex of each curve of smoke or flame being thinner and it's bases being thicker.

But still, if you focus too much on your draftsmanship, especially in Flash, you're going to give yourself a headache.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-16 17:28:31

At 9/16/10 11:38 AM, PBass wrote: Important stuff

PBass is right. Don't worry about your draftmanship yet. Focus on drawing the energy and direction of the effect first THEN go back in and clean it up.

Also, a few tips when doing effects.
Symmetry = BAD. Never make a drawing symmetrical.
Repetition = BAD. When

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-16 17:31:34

At 9/16/10 05:28 PM, Marsume wrote:
At 9/16/10 11:38 AM, PBass wrote: Important stuff
PBass is right. Don't worry about your draftmanship yet. Focus on drawing the energy and direction of the effect first THEN go back in and clean it up.

Also, a few tips when doing effects.
Symmetry = BAD. Never make a drawing symmetrical.
Repetition = BAD. When

Oops, accidently posted before I was done lol.
Repetition = Bad, Dont do it.

ALSO, Varying your line thickness adds a lot.

After you get the motion of the effect down, then you should begin doing the good clean version overtop, using the motion as a guideline.

//Thats how I do it, and thats how they do it in the book "Elemental Magic" which is a superb book on animating effects.

explosion tech.

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-20 04:35:49

brilliant you guys
thank you so much for your advice.
I will try those starting tomorrow.
but for now ive got
another test done.

but upon reading your posts i have a lot to work on.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

-Joe

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-20 05:00:22

At 9/20/10 04:35 AM, Spac3case916 wrote: another test done.

That's animated quite well. It could be more firey though and the green car (?) doesn't seem to be propelled realistically. You just need to make the smoke fade out now. The perspective of the scene is really good.

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-22 02:27:22

thank you all for your kind words.
i was wondering if you guys could look at another
thnaks

-Joe

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-22 05:35:48

At 9/22/10 02:27 AM, Spac3case916 wrote: thank you all for your kind words.
i was wondering if you guys could look at another
thnaks

-Joe

This new one is really good. One thing you should consider is that the beginning of the explosion should start from being small. You should have the first frame be the biggest cloud of dust because its so instant. It wouldnt just spread out like that. Once you have that first cloud, youd have it disperse like that. Id try drawing out 3 main key frames of your explosion, first youd want the big cloud, then its maximun expansion, and then its fall out. but i like what you got so far.

At your service

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-23 07:07:56

This new one is really good. One thing you should consider is that the beginning of the explosion should start from being small. You should have the first frame be the biggest cloud of dust because its so instant. It wouldnt just spread out like that. Once you have that first cloud, youd have it disperse like that. Id try drawing out 3 main key frames of your explosion, first youd want the big cloud, then its maximun expansion, and then its fall out. but i like what you got so far.

thanks.
i will try the key frames tomorow.
this is today's

fuck
ill try again tomorrow.
because im not happy with this.
aaand it's 4 fucking am. fuck school..... tomorrow. please no.
comments about the explosion?

-Joe

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-23 14:36:57

I'm having problems making explosion effects too. Marsume's example looks great and I've made something like it before, but the explosion I'm trying to make has to be simple. It's going to be for a game so I need all these effects to be as simple as possible so it doesn't hog the fps too much.

Not sure if it was a good idea, but I made the explosion grey so when I'm done with it, I can adjust the color of the MC with the color effects option. It's basically a circle that grows with a ring around it that dissipates. I don't have the animation right now but I can post it later.

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-23 15:54:28

You seem to be having some trouble with what to do with the smoke after the explosion. Try some video reference.

Do some rough animations where you copy these explosions, study what the smoke and fire do. Watch some movies that have great explosions, or even study the timing of other animated explosions. Learn how explosions work, how the smoke and fire are going to move and why they move that way. The less of a guessing game you play when animating the better, have control over your canvas. If you're not sure what to do when animating, it's time to do studies.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-23 16:49:42

At 9/23/10 07:07 AM, Spac3case916 wrote: fuck
ill try again tomorrow.

Damn your getting good! Ive watched all of your tests and this one is almost good... GOOD JOB!

I just went outside. The grafiks were great, but the gameplay SUKED!!!(It is time to change the actionscript)

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-23 16:55:41

Oh yea I havent criticized it...
-Make the smoke disapear slower... like REALLY slower cuz this is much to fast...
-Make the blast slower but not so much, maybe half a second longer...
-Make the smoke fade away if you dont like animating it into tiny drops and then disapearing...(Also slowly lol) though I prefer animating it into tiny drops cuz it look wAAAy better...

Okay hope it helps...

I just went outside. The grafiks were great, but the gameplay SUKED!!!(It is time to change the actionscript)

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-24 04:53:06

Not sure if it was a good idea, but I made the explosion grey so when I'm done with it, I can adjust the color of the MC with the color effects option. It's basically a circle that grows with a ring around it that dissipates. I don't have the animation right now but I can post it later.

feel free to post it on this thread.

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-24 07:26:11

I'll have a crack at an explosion. I don't remember ever attempting to animate an explosion. Hopefully I can learn something from this thread, maybe I could even teach someone something... personally I think I'm a horrid animator but I can always try :3

brb in a bit

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-24 09:08:58

forgot about this... splosion test

Maybe I could get some pointers?

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-24 09:42:15

At 9/24/10 09:08 AM, ImmaKitty wrote: forgot about this... splosion test

Maybe I could get some pointers?

:O you gotta be kiding me, YOU NEED POINTERS?!
It is amazing how fluid the smoke is there.
Anyway here is my try... I really gotta get the timeing better!
My fail

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-24 12:45:58

When one goes about explosions, another way to think about approaching it is breaking it down into layers.
I do explosions this way now; think about what you need to animate and assign a layer to each.

First, I roughly sketch the form expanding and the particles coming out, and get the timing to what I want it to be. After that is to where you want it to be, try using different layers. One for smoke, one for firey bits, some for particles and then another for debris. I did this real fast and shitty but you get the point: Example.

For this, you can see how the animation is broken on to layers. Fire, smoke, debris. HERE
(the animation is awry, as its a bit old, but it should get the point across).

Also, slightly related and in addition to this kind of explosion, think about how you could imply an explosion through lighting. Here is another bit I did a while ago that emphasizes explosion without actually animating the explosion- just through lighting the illusion is given: HURRR

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-24 22:45:36

good youtube vid right here

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-25 00:35:01

This one relies heavily and above video.

i think im getting the shapes more and more what they should look like.
suggestions?

BBS Signature

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-26 16:50:44

At 9/25/10 12:35 AM, Spac3case916 wrote: This one relies heavily and above video.

i think im getting the shapes more and more what they should look like.
suggestions?

My pixel explosion combined with the previous expl.

Response to explosion tech. 2010-09-26 16:54:11