New Topic Respond to this Topic
Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 11:18:40 Reply

I read an interesting article in Time today; it talks about the recent success of 3D Movies and how theatres are scrambling to outfit their screens to meet the excess demand for these films.

Do you think this is a lasting trend, such that it'll be pretty much standard practice in a few years? Or is it just a fad that will fade as people get tired of paying extra coin to go see these things?

The article lists several expected 2010 3D releases, such as Saw VII, Yogi Bear and the last Harry Potter.

Zerok blog: PM me if you like music | My (retired) webcomic: Pizza For Guys

Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 11:28:07 Reply

Realizing that 3D movies have been around for decades...

Though the whole CGI element of newer movies makes it infinitely easier to apply.

Cronicriot
Cronicriot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 11:30:18 Reply

i recon there the future because 2d isn't enougth now

If your reading this you have to much time on your hands i suggest you get a hobbie

Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 11:30:57 Reply

At 4/4/10 11:28 AM, Digital-Terror wrote: Though the whole CGI element of newer movies makes it infinitely easier to apply.

And improves the quality by a magnitude of... a lot. Which is why it's been such a success, I think.

Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 11:32:31 Reply

Ehh, I went to see Avatar in 3d, and it really didn't look much different than what I'd expect a 2D film o the same thing to look like.

Then again, I only have one properly working eye, so 3D glasses are kinda lost on me anyway. I honestly don't know if I was just missing out on a lot of the effects or if they weren't that great to start with.

Personally, I'll not be spending money on 3D films anymore, knowing they look pretty much the same to me. Can't really speak for anyone else here, though.

UnknownFear
UnknownFear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 11:33:59 Reply

At 4/4/10 11:18 AM, Zerok wrote: The article lists several expected 2010 3D releases, such as Saw VII, Yogi Bear and the last Harry Potter.

I would love to see a SAW movie in 3D! I haven't seen a 3D movie in a long time seeing as how the cinema n my city does't have the 3D screen or anything. Sucks, but hey, with the release of 3D TV's and Blu-Ray players, you can bring it to your house. Now if only I had the money to get one :)

Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 11:41:07 Reply

At 4/4/10 11:32 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote: I honestly don't know if I was just missing out on a lot of the effects or if they weren't that great to start with.

You were missing out, the effects were quite literally unlike anything I've seen in a theatre. Tough luck :(

At 4/4/10 11:33 AM, UnknownFear wrote: I would love to see a SAW movie in 3D! I haven't seen a 3D movie in a long time seeing as how the cinema n my city does't have the 3D screen or anything. Sucks, but hey, with the release of 3D TV's and Blu-Ray players, you can bring it to your house. Now if only I had the money to get one :)

If you read the article I posted you'll see that theatres across North America are rapidly outfitting their screens, so hopefully your theatre will get one soon unless you live in bumfuck nowhere.

REDSPADES
REDSPADES
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 11:41:46 Reply

I work at a cinema and boy, let me tell you. There are 28 movies to be released this year specifically designed with elements of 3D viewing, and our cinema is picking up 22 of them. Among them are Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt.1, How to train your dragon, Clash of the Titans, Prince of Persia and Toy Story 3.

I only just got back from seeing clash of the titans in 2D (disappointing really) and i noticed that there were several scenes that were obviously made for 3D viewing. My problem is that when you opt to see the film in 2D for whatever reason, you tend to really notice the CGI-FX and it feels like its reducing the quality of the film. I understand for entirely animated films like toy story 3 and how to train your dragon being able to fully utilise the 3D projection, but when its movies like alice in wonderland or Clash of the titans, only a few scenes are necessarily using the 3D capabilities, leaving the rest as normal viewing, except you're straining your eyes for no reason.

I must admit however, 3D live action films can be grand and engaging, when the effort to include as much of the 3D capability is done so. Avatar is a good example of animated/live action 3D that isn't blatantly obvious when viewed in 2D.

My other issue is the fact that since no single model of 3D glasses can be agreed upon, nor the design of the screens, so every screen will be different, and i suspect that the viewing experience will differ from cinema to cinema, which may give the more expensive cinema an unfair advantage over the budget kind as the more expensive cinema can afford the best quality and most expensive glasses and screens.

And finally, as this will affect gamers, tv viewers, at home movie buffs and theatre goers, the 3D glasses will always be present, well for at least another 10 years, so if you already wear glasses, good luck wearing 2 pairs, and if you get headaches from watching with the glasses? There is nothing that can be done except watching the film in 2D, and for now choosing between 2D viewing and 3D viewing has always been our right, but soon enough there will be "3D ONLY" movies coming up. So you better hope if you don't like 3D, that the movie you've been waiting for will be in 2D too.

.....There was a hole. *sig by LimitedMortality*

BBS Signature
HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 11:48:34 Reply

Hopefully it's a fad. Avatar is one of few films which had the 3D done correctly. A lot of film studios are taking movies which were made to be 2D, and making them 3D, and it apparently is nowhere near the quality of films like Avatar, which always intended to use 3D technology.

3D films give me a headache too, and I find it more difficult to watch the film. Also, the glasses are really obtrusive, and I can't communicate with my friends properly. Not worth the extra cost, IMO. If the films aren't going to be made to use the 3D effectively, like Avatar did, then it shouldn't be done. It should be something they break out rarely for films that would be greatly enhanced by 3D, not fucking Clash of the Titans.

Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 11:57:04 Reply

idea: How about 4D?!
IM GENIOUS! A MOVIE... IN TIME!

i kid...

Its a fad brought on by avatar.

BBS Signature
bman200
bman200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 12:00:08 Reply

Neither. Its their way of making us spend more money to see these movies. They might even be dumb movies, but were just saying: "A durhurhurrr, I'ma just spend muh muneays on da mooviez that have 3D in um, a durhur!"

Ponder that for a moment.

The statement below this is false.
The statement above this is true.

BBS Signature
SchizoNegro
SchizoNegro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 12:00:59 Reply

Wonderful, free headaches come with every movie I go to.

REDSPADES
REDSPADES
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 12:02:33 Reply

At 4/4/10 11:57 AM, Usernamemyarse wrote: idea: How about 4D?!
IM GENIOUS! A MOVIE... IN TIME!

They already have something they call "4D" viewing, its when you go to universal studios or disney and its the movie with the seats that move, the water that sprays you in the face, and the compressed air blasts near your legs. Its 'including you' in the viewing experience. I know its not 4D in layman's terms but its what they call it.

BBS Signature
FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Melancholy
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 12:04:09 Reply

I wouldn't care if they faded out of style. I prefer substance over visual effects anyway.

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
StarF68
StarF68
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 12:42:21 Reply

I actually just made a post about this on my blog, check it out!

"In the house with the laughing windows, we're spilling blood like a cheap innuendo."
Writer - Music Addict - StarF68

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 12:45:16 Reply

until it becomes cheap enough for anything other than big budget pieces of shit it won't matter

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Lorkas
Lorkas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 13:02:52 Reply

I usually have a better experience watching it in 2D. 3D just seems weird.

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12
NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature
Boss
Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 13:15:01 Reply

Ehh, wasn't there the same kind of fad when T2 was in 3D or something like that? I think it'll pass.

I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
Tetimaru000
Tetimaru000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 13:37:53 Reply

3D TVs...
Not good enough quality for their price yet.

BBS Signature
Killer-DuK
Killer-DuK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 13:47:54 Reply

Really? A seventh Saw movie? I thought 6 would have been enough.

Aksumka
Aksumka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 15:00:28 Reply

I will never be a fan of 3D until they can pull it off both well and without the need for the glasses. I really hope this 3D craze does not last, I find the idea of it pretty gimmicky.

However, Avatar did a good job with it. Unlike most 3D movies they did not have shit flying at you for the sake of throwing shit at you. The 3D in Avatar wasn't too over the top, but it did add something to the movie. The added depth was a very nice touch and I will admit to liking it, but it could have been left out without making a difference.

|| AK || Play TF2 @ AK's ||
NG Archive - The Problems of the Past, Today!

BBS Signature
flashplayer5
flashplayer5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 15:09:50 Reply

I reckon it's the future, not a fad. I mean, surely with the new technology enhancing the cinematic experience so much we couldn't possibly go back?

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls.

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 15:24:33 Reply

I dunno, I find it adding something to some movies, but I can't imagine it working for everything.

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 15:29:47 Reply

I definitely think it has some place in the future, seeing as it is more of an immerse movie going experience. Some films go about the 3D adaption all wrong and as a result come out terribly sub par, but some pull it off nicely, such as Avatar.

I see it as a future trend that will gradually become more and more mainstream, another branching improvement of movies until eventually the technology becomes dated and something better comes along.

BBS Signature
REDSPADES
REDSPADES
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 22:31:08 Reply

3D glasses aren't the best things in the world.

3D Movies: The future or a fad?

BBS Signature
Lucy
Lucy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Melancholy
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 22:33:15 Reply

If the quality doesnt get any better, it probably will fade out. The last 3D film I watched was Avatar, and it really wasnt as awesome quality as they made it out to be.

Release your inner crazy.

BBS Signature
MadCow
MadCow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 22:54:03 Reply

At 4/4/10 10:33 PM, Lucy wrote: If the quality doesnt get any better, it probably will fade out. The last 3D film I watched was Avatar, and it really wasnt as awesome quality as they made it out to be.

ya dude the graphics and 3d effects in that movie sucked big time, the only thing that made it watchable was its deep and immersive plot. im glad it totally bombed @ the box office. call this mom old fashioned, but i'll take a good ol 2d romantic dramedy over any wacky 3d whooziwutsit any day =]]

REAL TALK: you better go get a glass of orange juice & spill it all over yourself likea big dumb baby before i tear through your hymen like a dog tears through a piece of meat

BBS Signature
darksytze
darksytze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 22:54:50 Reply

not a future. good movies don't need a gimmick like 3D CGI to be good. however flicks like Avatar are walking hand in hand with 3D cgi, so why not? let's just hope it's not going to take the future by storm.

JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 22:56:07 Reply

I think its just a fad because IMO its stupid to have to wear some stupid glasses while watching your movie

|"My dick was in the Guinness Boom of World Records... Then I left the library.|

BBS Signature
CamKull
CamKull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to 3D Movies: The future or a fad? 2010-04-04 22:57:18 Reply

Honestly, before it can become a serious thing they will need to advance the technology to the point that they can project it naturally without needing the aid of 3-d glasses. I wouldn't want to have to wear those every time i watch tv.

The fact they would need to edit programming to encompass something only a percentage of people own is unlikley also, but that is not to say I am not intrested to see where they go with it.