00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sinnymon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition

22,625 Views | 95 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-15 05:20:34

At 4/15/10 05:04 AM, Ashman wrote:
At 4/15/10 01:49 AM, deadspread83 wrote: Did somebody say OLD SCHOOL?
YEAH!!!
just to annoy cloudy

lol... your too good at annoying are you ash :)

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-15 06:50:01

ok please let me be right here, 80s hip hop ties in with graffiti right? or is it just one style of graffiti, if not im gunna have to restart

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-15 07:48:29

The Amen Ra of Universal Hip Hop Culture

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-15 13:40:29

At 4/15/10 06:50 AM, Ashman wrote: ok please let me be right here, 80s hip hop ties in with graffiti right? or is it just one style of graffiti, if not im gunna have to restart

The graffit should definitly feel like 80's graffiti. There's overlap between modern graffiti though, I'm sure most judges won't make a huge fuss about this if it's done really well.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-15 19:01:03

At 4/15/10 01:40 PM, tingtonger wrote:
The graffit should definitly feel like 80's graffiti. There's overlap between modern graffiti though, I'm sure most judges won't make a huge fuss about this if it's done really well.

Idk... I might make a big deal about it haha... just kidding... carry on.

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-15 19:49:49

At 4/15/10 07:01 PM, Jirohbomb wrote:
At 4/15/10 01:40 PM, tingtonger wrote:
Idk... I might make a big deal about it haha... just kidding... carry on.

what....please dont lol, is it just you 2 judging, or is mindchamber in aswell?

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-15 19:54:18

MindChamber is in too. If you're so worried about it it sounds like you might want to start again.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-15 20:52:46

Thanks for the invite TinTonger :).

Here's my entry, just a little tribute to Easy E.

NWA was the shit.

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-16 07:55:04

I don't know why but I'm having the biggest trouble thinking up something for this ;c

I just can't seem to think up any ideas or sketches. And there's only a couple days left of this contest too...

NDC: 2011 ~ Twitter ~ Artwork ~ ©JKA

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-16 20:25:31

this is a bit experimental

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 03:35:28

since you deleted my picture, ill put it here, BITCH!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 04:25:24

anyways.

I was trying go for the old school record album. So i picked up some spray can brushes for PS and just kinda played around on one layer.
I was oddly having a hard time with this. oh well

Still didn't get the feel i wanted, So ima try again.

I went out of my way to make it look stuff i drew as a kid, and even spelled newgrounds wrong for similar reasons

Drawing without thinking is just doodling, the brain and pen is connected.

PSN: SeoulSnake

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 05:46:14

To be fair, if you can't make your point in one post, it's prob best not to make a long painful series of arguments. I think it's ok to talk about whether something should be acccepted or not, but ~10-20 posts is just over-kill.

Ultimately, it's the judges' decision whether a submission is accepted or not.

removes a few posts to lighten up the thread, but other mods may feel free to trim it further.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 08:47:29

lets get this back on track
heres mine Art portal version so you can see it better

i realise i made this square so if its in the flash, dont stretch it just leave it 400x400

im an idiot :P

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 09:31:59

Hey people, please, don´t start a cat fight in the forum. This Topic is to post the ART and to give constructive critic. We all Know that he used Illustrator to tracing but dont make 20 post talking about it

At 4/17/10 08:47 AM, Ashman wrote: lets get this back on track
heres mine Art portal version so you can see it better

i realise i made this square so if its in the flash, dont stretch it just leave it 400x400

I like this really much :), too bad that is in the wrong size. Mmm why you dont add some elements in the corners? like some speakers, to fill the other 150pixels

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 09:35:33

At 4/15/10 08:52 PM, FortressRubbish wrote: Thanks for the invite TinTonger :).

NWA was the shit.

Hey dude, you have a really good drawing here, but the Fonts arent helping you, doenst fit with the style of drawing that you are using.

Try using other font or colors
cheers

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 09:59:25

At 4/17/10 09:31 AM, Osuka wrote: I like this really much :), too bad that is in the wrong size. Mmm why you dont add some elements in the corners? like some speakers, to fill the other 150pixels

thanks, but the only way i can make it bigger is to extend the canvas, and on either side id have to redo the random foreground bit and add a bit to either the speaker or the graffiti, so id rather leave it as it is and not risk messing it up

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 10:08:10

At 4/17/10 08:47 AM, Ashman wrote: i realise i made this square so if its in the flash, dont stretch it just leave it 400x400

You could always just cut off part of the top, to correct the size ratio. There are no integral parts of the composition up there.

By the way, it appears that instead of 'hip-hop', you have accidentally written down the word 'nip-hop'.

'Nip-hop' being a word for Japanese hip-hop ('nip' coming from 'nippon', the Japanese word for Japan. 'Nip' also being a derogatory racial slur referring to people of Japanese descent).

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 10:49:43

At 4/17/10 10:08 AM, Aigis wrote: You could always just cut off part of the top, to correct the size ratio. There are no integral parts of the composition up there.

the paint splatter thats up there, gives a good effect, and itd cut off part of the speaker which i really dont wanna do

By the way, it appears that instead of 'hip-hop', you have accidentally written down the word 'nip-hop'.

'Nip-hop' being a word for Japanese hip-hop ('nip' coming from 'nippon', the Japanese word for Japan. 'Nip' also being a derogatory racial slur referring to people of Japanese descent).

cool story bro, but it says Hip Hop, its a captital H and you cant see one of the ascenders because its under the N of the NG, its kinda obvious :P

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 11:59:02

I updated a couple of lines and moved the black robot more to the left

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 14:41:51

At 4/17/10 09:35 AM, Osuka wrote:
At 4/15/10 08:52 PM, FortressRubbish wrote: Thanks for the invite TinTonger :).

NWA was the shit.
Hey dude, you have a really good drawing here, but the Fonts arent helping you, doenst fit with the style of drawing that you are using.

Try using other font or colors
cheers

Thanks for the critique, I think I've succeeded at making V2 more 80's hip-hop.

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 19:01:03

I was zapping channels and I saw Fresh Prince of Bel-Air... And I asked me: Which of the NG characters would look rad rapping and clowning around?...
... And my answer wasSteve. I thought he'd be really funny emarrasing himself trying to rap ghetto-style with the combined talents of Vanilla Ice, Snow and William Shatner...
Hey, I thought it would be funny, not "original"...
I also devised a logo, but I had to scrap it 'cause I didn't look at the measures required, so I just improvised those arrows... As if the character hadn't been improvised enough.
I think this one would look neat-o with some kind of scrolling background, switching colors and such visual stuff... If you want the .fla file of this drawing, just ask for it.
Anyway, I really hope you like it.

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 20:15:35

At 4/17/10 10:49 AM, Ashman wrote: cool story bro, but it says Hip Hop, its a captital H and you cant see one of the ascenders because its under the N of the NG, its kinda obvious :P

I'm with him on this one that it doesn't look like an H, but it definately looks like it says "Ashsin No Aip Hoe" to me.

lol

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 20:39:46

At 4/17/10 08:15 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: I'm with him on this one that it doesn't look like an H, but it definately looks like it says "Ashsin No Aip Hoe" to me.

I believe "Ashin No Aip Hoe" is Japanese for "I just married a black male stripper".

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 21:22:22

just something i just thought of so did a little wip of what i'm doing. any one get the reference?

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-17 23:52:26

dump

here is a shitty gif, the jpeg rests above...boi

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-18 09:55:37

At 4/17/10 07:01 PM, BizarroJoe wrote:
I think this one would look neat-o with some kind of scrolling background, switching colors and such visual stuff... If you want the .fla file of this drawing, just ask for it.
Anyway, I really hope you like it.

this is pretty badass man, nice work

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-18 10:05:28

At 4/17/10 09:22 PM, JustJoshy wrote: just something i just thought of so did a little wip of what i'm doing. any one get the reference?

fuckin beastie boys!

Response to Newgrounds Hip Hop Art Competition 2010-04-18 12:18:46

My entry!

Use picture below for flash, so you don't have to strech it :D

BBS Signature