New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheMoreISee
TheMoreISee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Newb Seeking Advice Mar. 26th, 2010 @ 04:32 AM Reply

Hey, this is my first submission to Newgrounds. It's a drawing I did a while back after trying to teach myself how to draw. I was done on paper-- I have a really crappy computer, which has trouble running photoshop or flash in addition to my tablet (crappy one I bought in Thailand-- probably better off drawing and scanning anyways).

So, any tips for a newb would be nice (keep in mind it's done on paper).

Thanks!

Newb Seeking Advice

TheMoreISee
TheMoreISee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Newb Seeking Advice Mar. 26th, 2010 @ 04:50 AM Reply

Gah, it's been like 9 minutes and no one has commented yet... double you tee eff.

Just Kidding. Time to sleep. I'm being stupid.

OUT!

tmkunt
tmkunt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Newb Seeking Advice Mar. 26th, 2010 @ 04:55 AM Reply

picture's looking a tad flat atm, try to work on expanding your tonal range

don't be afraid to really push those shadows in your picture--strong contrasts between lights and darks are what really bring pictures like this to life

HuIk
HuIk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Newb Seeking Advice Mar. 26th, 2010 @ 09:29 AM Reply

Scan it. Make adjustments in photoshop. It's a good base but you'll go crazy trying to get it perfect on paper. Besides, once it's digital you can play with color more easily. Like, making Einstein black, or a punk rocker.

px hulk.

BBS Signature
Razac
Razac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Newb Seeking Advice Mar. 26th, 2010 @ 08:53 PM Reply

At 3/26/10 09:29 AM, HuIk wrote: Scan it. Make adjustments in photoshop. It's a good base but you'll go crazy trying to get it perfect on paper. Besides, once it's digital you can play with color more easily. Like, making Einstein black, or a punk

Black Einstein ? :S

Adding more contrast is always good, work in the creases where the shadows are darkest, like above his eyes and the deep wrinkles around his mouth. once you get these darker just use your observational skills to determine what else needs to be slightly darker to fall in line with the new dark tone you've set, imagine it like changing the levels on an image in photoshop.

changing the contrast can add alot to a picture, if you're finding it hard switch to a softer pencil, remember to keep a sharpener handy as they go blunt really quickly and they suck to draw with.

Newb Seeking Advice

BBS Signature
TheMoreISee
TheMoreISee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Newb Seeking Advice Mar. 27th, 2010 @ 12:51 AM Reply

Okay, that sounds like something I can do. Thanks!

tmkunt
tmkunt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Newb Seeking Advice Mar. 27th, 2010 @ 08:44 AM Reply

At 3/26/10 09:29 AM, HuIk wrote: Scan it. Make adjustments in photoshop. It's a good base but you'll go crazy trying to get it perfect on paper.

so avoid learning how to perfect your work in traditional media? sounds great

TheMoreISee
TheMoreISee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Newb Seeking Advice Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 12:13 AM Reply

At 3/27/10 08:44 AM, tmkunt wrote:
At 3/26/10 09:29 AM, HuIk wrote: Scan it. Make adjustments in photoshop. It's a good base but you'll go crazy trying to get it perfect on paper.
so avoid learning how to perfect your work in traditional media? sounds great

Yeah, I gotta admit, I wasn't too pleased with that suggestion, especially since I explained above that my comp is ancient and has trouble not catching fire running photoshop. I haven't drawn anything in months-- it was sort of a coping mechanism I used to help cope with my divorce-- so I'm really rusty. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into it soon.