New Topic Respond to this Topic
AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-24 16:16:18 Reply

At 3/24/10 12:27 PM, DeIirium wrote: And Dr insano sucks.

I agree with that, it's the worst part of Spoony's show. Spoony's greatest strength is that he is pretty much being himself in his videos, which makes him stand out from the Nostalgia Critic and AVGN, who are obviously role characters. Dr Insano, and some of Spoony's other gimmicks run completely to the contrary.

animehater
animehater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-24 16:18:14 Reply

At 3/24/10 04:16 PM, AapoJoki wrote: I agree with that, it's the worst part of Spoony's show. Spoony's greatest strength is that he is pretty much being himself in his videos, which makes him stand out from the Nostalgia Critic and AVGN, who are obviously role characters. Dr Insano, and some of Spoony's other gimmicks run completely to the contrary.

I WILL FUCKING MUR- You know what? You kind of made an interesting point here.

"Communism is the very definition of failure." - Liberty Prime.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-24 17:07:19 Reply

I did like DR. INSANO, but Spoony just really really milks it with him. Keep it short and sweet and not in every single review and it won't be a problem.

Just when one of his little 'skits' goes on for like 3 minutes it's kind of taking the funny away.

Is part 2 up yet? :(

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-24 20:20:03 Reply

At 3/24/10 01:42 PM, Rallard wrote: It also made me realize how ridiculous Wakka is.

There are actually people out there who didn't realise that Wakka is a ridiculous character before it was pointed out for them?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-25 00:24:22 Reply

Being someone who both loves Spoony and genuinely hates FFX, I thoroughly enjoyed that and I look forward to his next episodes.

what happened to this place?
Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-25 14:44:02 Reply

At 3/24/10 12:27 PM, DeIirium wrote: He is better than the average online avgn ripoff game reviewer that doesn't script his reviews and thinks yelling "this game is fucking horrible" is the only thing needed to make a funny video.

I think he's much better than the AVGN himself actually. Seriously I watched some of the AVGN's stuff and I find his videos very, very boring compared to Spoony's. Could be that I just watched the wrong videos, but I can hardly see how that guy ever got so popular.

Also I think Dr Insano is alright. I thought he was quite a funny character in the FFVIII review series, but I agree with Gagsy that he shouldn't be using him too much.

At 3/24/10 01:42 PM, Rallard wrote: Finally something from Spoony that doesn't consist of him talking to the camera about uninteresting shit for an hour.

Heh, yeah his wrestling rants were way too long and I couldn't care much for them either :p

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-25 16:49:41 Reply

Whoever is comparing Spoony to the Nerd needs to shut the fuck up.

BBS Signature
animehater
animehater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-25 17:43:47 Reply

At 3/25/10 04:49 PM, knuxrouge wrote: Whoever is comparing Spoony to the Nerd needs to shut the fuck up.

Indeed, the nerd sucks.

BBS Signature
knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-25 21:57:43 Reply

Not at all what I meant.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-26 04:52:31 Reply

At 3/25/10 09:57 PM, knuxrouge wrote: Not at all what I meant.

Well if you want people to understand you correctly, you might want to use more than vague one-liners like that.

Also, using the quote button is quite handy as well sometimes, because now I'm not sure if it was me or delirium who provoked that reaction...

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-26 05:42:08 Reply

I liked his review a lot. Only thought he got mad a little too much but then again, I hate Tidus.

BBS Signature
DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-26 09:22:27 Reply

At 3/25/10 04:49 PM, knuxrouge wrote: Whoever is comparing Spoony to the Nerd needs to shut the fuck up.

Of course they will get compared. AVGN was the first online angry video game reviewer making videos. Spoony was obviously inspired by him., he even mentions AVGN in the bayou bill review.

knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-26 14:05:17 Reply

At 3/26/10 04:52 AM, Auz wrote:
At 3/25/10 09:57 PM, knuxrouge wrote: Not at all what I meant.
Well if you want people to understand you correctly, you might want to use more than vague one-liners like that.

Also, using the quote button is quite handy as well sometimes, because now I'm not sure if it was me or delirium who provoked that reaction...

Fair enough.

At 3/26/10 09:22 AM, DeIirium wrote:
Of course they will get compared. AVGN was the first online angry video game reviewer making videos. Spoony was obviously inspired by him., he even mentions AVGN in the bayou bill review.

You see, the issue there isn't the fact that they're being compared, it the fact that they are being compared in a completely misguided fashion.

Spoony mentioned the Nerd in Bayou Billy, because that was his very first game review, before he ever thought of taking on the job of doing this gig of his.

The thing that got my panties in a bunch was whoever called spoony an AVGN rip off.
Let me count the ways to why that is a highly immature, uninformed and an overall stupid claim.

Jame Rofle has more roles than just the Nerd, which is only his most popular side project, he makes (made) 2 episodes a month consisting of a uniform fashion of playing a game, blending a professional-esque description of the game, some useful fun facts, bitching about how shitty it is and the complimentary, "I'd rather *insert profane and disgusting action here* than play this game".

That's AVGN in a nutshell.

Noel is spoony, it is his alias and his only real project, his videos come on pretty much a 'whenever the hell I feel like it' basis, his routine shares similar aspect but is different in it's entirety, reach the same ends through different means, he goes on far more in depth rants on a lot of game aspect and in most cases plays the game to the end. His videos consist of sub-series that go off on their own tangent and he reviews movies as well as shitty games, and the shitty games he reviews almost always go nowhere near the nerd's domain of conventional video games. He also does LPs, and Vlogs, providing more content, and in each and every video, his humor consist of his own original material.

And that's the secret phrase that exempt Spoony from ever qualifying to be a Nerd ripoff.
He has his own material.

This isn't something fundamentally special, but he's a whole hell of a lot better than actual Nerd ripoffs that don't really need to be called out on their shame.

They are, in a sense anger themed game reviewers, hence why the comparisons are bound to happen, but they have their own separate domains and rarely blend between them, they have their own material and their own routines and their own gimmicks, both likable and unlikable.

They both have had their good reviews, their great reviews and their stuff that was honestly hard to sit through.

But they are different.

If you don't like Spoony, that's fine, I don't care, but it's an accurate imitation of a lobotomized fucking retard to even imply that Spoony is an AVGN rip off.
They are the same in theme, but their methods are nothing alike. Just look at their Street Fighter 2010 reviews.

BBS Signature
rustycan
rustycan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-04-01 14:10:38 Reply

Spoony is just like every other angry reviewer. AVGN at least gets some points for originality.

animehater
animehater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-04-01 20:53:21 Reply

From the videos I have seen of the AVGN he just seems like a whiny bitch to me. At least I fine Spoony funny.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-04-05 03:07:59 Reply

Also his April Fools review on Ferris Bueller is great.

Think his idea kind of back fired a bit maybe. He probably wanted to upset people by disrespecting the cult film, but I think most adults realise now that Ferris was a spoilt kid.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-06-13 16:00:47 Reply

After a long wait, part 2 is here!

In this part, Spoony is peeved by the infamous forced laughter scene, Maester Seymour's hair antlers and a dinosaur taxi driven by Jar Jar Binks, among other things.

animehater
animehater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-06-13 16:10:44 Reply

At 6/13/10 04:00 PM, AapoJoki wrote: After a long wait, part 2 is here!

In this part, Spoony is peeved by the infamous forced laughter scene, Maester Seymour's hair antlers and a dinosaur taxi driven by Jar Jar Binks, among other things.

I'd like me some Kentucky Fried Chocobo,\.

BBS Signature
36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-06-13 16:36:45 Reply

At 6/13/10 04:00 PM, AapoJoki wrote: After a long wait, part 2 is here!

This review is not even close to how good his FF8 review was. If feels like he's rushing through it and that the whole game is going to be done in 5 parts max. It wasn't bad, but it's disappointing that he's not putting in more details.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-06-13 16:42:02 Reply

To be honest I thought the coolest part of X was Sin

I didn't really care for any of the other characters, Auron was pretty cool though.

Though the gameplay is probably as good as any of the other FF games if not better.

I will also give props to X for finally making Summons actually useful outside of Bahamut

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-06-13 16:56:05 Reply

I'm starting to catch up with the Spoony reviews I missed out on and after hearing part 2 is up, I thought I'd watch the first part to review and I have to admit, it sucks. The whole first video felt forced. It just seems like he's finding as much things as possible to bitch on. There's so much padding in this review as well. I mean, it took 6 1/2 fucking minutes just to start the damn review.

So far, it's a huge step down from his FFVIII review but hopefully his ranting on the Blitzball minigame will be worth watching as that was the one thing I hated about this game the most and I hate it so much that whenever i do reruns of this game, I'll have a separate save file so I don't have to go through hours of boredom just to get Wakka's ultimate weapon ever again. And yes, I'm aware part 2 is up but my wireless is unstable right now so I'll give it a shot later.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-06-13 16:58:05 Reply

At 6/13/10 04:36 PM, 36Holla wrote: This review is not even close to how good his FF8 review was. If feels like he's rushing through it and that the whole game is going to be done in 5 parts max. It wasn't bad, but it's disappointing that he's not putting in more details.

I agree that he seems to be rushing it a bit. The final fantasy VIII review had whole episodes about Triple Triad, magic drawing and other shit but in this one it seems like he is solely treating the story (and some blitzball). I wish he slowed down a little and go more into detail about things.

Thus far it's a nice review nonetheless.

BBS Signature
AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-12-31 11:31:40 Reply

Fourth and final part is here! Lots of witty observations and I loved the Lady Gaga references. I usually don't like Spoony's acting scenes very much, but the final showdown wasn't so bad.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-12-31 12:45:01 Reply

At 12/31/10 11:31 AM, AapoJoki wrote: Fourth and final part is here! Lots of witty observations and I loved the Lady Gaga references.

I liked it :)

I usually don't like Spoony's acting scenes very much, but the final showdown wasn't so bad.

Well he definitely put some effort into it. More than I expected, since he seemed to be a little bit lazy in the second and third part of his FF10 review.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2011-01-01 12:02:30 Reply

Now THIS is more like it. As bad as the first two parts were, this is a major improvement. His points were fairer and I found the jokes to be much better here. I definitely liked the Megadeth reference as well as pointing out the underwhelming last boss. I always hated that last boss. As for any future FF reviews from him, I actually want to see FFX-2 on the spotlight because nothing good came out of that except for the battle system.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Squishy69
Squishy69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2011-01-01 21:22:18 Reply

I was a big-time fan of FFX and actually liked its story for all the convolutedness, but even I was taken aback by the look of the final boss. A giant tick? Well it does make sense since that's what the guy is more or less: An overgrown blood-sucker. Good finale to the review, and overall very enlightening to my original ignorance. Pity for him Tidus comes back in X-2 :O

ThePhantomGamer
ThePhantomGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2011-01-01 23:52:31 Reply

Very great.

36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2011-01-02 00:39:35 Reply

At 1/1/11 09:22 PM, Squishy69 wrote: Pity for him Tidus comes back in X-2 :O

Only if you want him to.

BAD ENDING PLEASE!

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2011-01-02 07:58:37 Reply

At 1/1/11 09:22 PM, Squishy69 wrote: Pity for him Tidus comes back in X-2 :O

I can already picture his X-2 review: footage of Yuna longing desperately for Tidus while Spoony is yelling madly in the background: "But I don't want him to come back!"

Yrtnej
Yrtnej
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2011-01-02 08:19:01 Reply

That was a pretty long rant. I liked how most of his points were about problems with the plot, and not just about meaningless, trivial things.

Well, he complained about meaningless, trivial things, too.