00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MagDeWarrior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Spoony reviews FFX

4,675 Views | 59 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-18 07:29:31

Previously known for his 11-part rant against Final Fantasy VIII, Noah Antwiler aka "The Spoony One" has now started a similar series of reviews about Final Fantasy X. The first part of the series can be viewed here.

I confess that I liked the game, but once again Spoony tears it totally apart. It's worth checking out.

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-18 09:41:20

Awwww, yeah. Good ol' Spoony. The TGWTG Expanded Universe is entirely awesome, and Spoony is no exception.

It seems like a pretty nice-looking game, though I'm usually not as opposed to anime-inspired character design and art as some people. Even if FF could use a bit more manhood. And I still don't get why he's complaining about blitzball, since, you know, Final Fantasy. If he's willing to accept the eco-pantheist metaphysics of Final Fantasy VII, or a sudden and instant poison killing nearly everyone in Doma Castle mere seconds after Kefka adds it to the river (did they all take a drink right from the river in those 30 seconds?) in VI, this just takes that impossibility to the next level.

Wait, love robots, wear goggles, spiral-pattern eyes? Did the guys at Gainax see this thing before making Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? For those not getting the reference, it's a giant robot anime where the hero, Simon, wears goggles, and by the end he gets spirals in his eyes, just like his former enemy Lordgenome. Now I REALLY have to play this shit, because for fuck's sake, it's my all-time favorite anime. On the same note, cue the joke about "drilling" Rikku, even if she's 15. Spoony needs to lighten up about the pedophilia. Those wacky Japs are always putting weird things like implausibly hot 15-year-old girls in media, either that or the opposite where a 500-year-old vampire with Christmas light wings looks 9. Do the Japanese age backwards or something? You know what, I won't even question it. That nation's gone completely bonkers.

Ass, ass, and more ass follow, and then we see more characters. How exactly did a blitzball become a dangerous weapon? And if they're so dangerous, why aren't they banned? Oh, wait, maybe being dangerous in the air has something to do with why it's played in water! It's a wild out-of-nowhere guess, but hey, Final Fantasy. Then Lulu, who I don't really like the look of, and Yuna, who looks a little better than Lulu but I'm still entranced by the 15-year-old.

All in all, I'd want to play it, but maybe that's just because I'm a weeaboo loser who will never get laid and thus is desperate enough to beat off to a 15-year-old girl. Still, Spoony is funny enough to insult things that I think look awesome and still not sound like a dumbass. You know, unlike everyone on Newgrounds.

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-18 14:29:10

Oh great.

An 'old school' fan bitching about how a game company hasn't locked itself in cryogenics and just released the same game over and over.

And an unfunny one that keeps on insisting on making terrible jokes, at that.

Watched a bit of it. It was terrible. Thought he was wrong about everything, but the fact that he was unfunny while doing it really made it painful to watch.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-18 14:45:52

What a waste of time. He did all that video editing and bad/unfunny acting to review a nine year old game. What an idiot.

S&Box, the gameĀ Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-18 15:22:41

It amused me.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-18 15:30:27

At 3/18/10 02:29 PM, Aigis wrote: An 'old school' fan bitching about how a game company hasn't locked itself in cryogenics and just released the same game over and over.

Actually he talked about how the combat sydtem was really goos.Pay attention kiddo.

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-18 15:32:24

At 3/18/10 03:30 PM, TheReturnOfTomsPulp wrote:
At 3/18/10 02:29 PM, Aigis wrote: An 'old school' fan bitching about how a game company hasn't locked itself in cryogenics and just released the same game over and over.
Actually he talked about how the combat sydtem was really goos.Pay attention kiddo.

goos?I mean 'good' haha

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-18 18:13:07

I can't fucking wait till the next installment. His last review gives me a kick ass idea for a show. What if a completely westernized American who isn't a fan of anime one bit were to be dumped in a JRPG? I tell you what happens HILARITY!

"Communism is the very definition of failure." - Liberty Prime.

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-18 18:17:24

At 3/18/10 02:29 PM, Aigis wrote: Thought he was wrong about everything,

Fan boy.

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-18 19:01:40

I admit I loved the game. I couldn't help but be in tears of laughter when he was talking about Blitz Ball and how Wakka uses the ball as his choice of weapon. It was just too much for me.

Can't wait for more parts.

Brb rewatching his FFVIII review.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-18 23:17:05

At 3/18/10 07:01 PM, Gagsy wrote: I admit I loved the game. I couldn't help but be in tears of laughter when he was talking about Blitz Ball and how Wakka uses the ball as his choice of weapon. It was just too much for me.

I was going to say that!

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-18 23:21:35

At 3/18/10 06:17 PM, animehater wrote: Fan boy.

No, I just liked the game.

Being that I didn't watch very much of the review, the only criticisms I heard were:

The future lights were stupid.
Blitzball doesn't work in real world physics.
Tidus looks effeminate. Or something like that.

The second criticism there was so inane that I just gave up. The game is set in a fantasy world. A fantasy world where people can use magic. It's not a stretch of the imagination to think that in such a world where physics are very clearly not the same, perhaps people are able to hold their breath for longer.

As for Tidus being effeminate, that's just values dissonance. For some reason in Japan all of the male 'idols' look like girls.

At 3/18/10 04:20 PM, The777Demon wrote: You only watched like 6 minutes i'm guessing. Not all of spoony's jokes are golden but he is funny. He even won the open web awards for the funniest person to follow. watch the full video before you start shaping opinions.

He spent far too long in a terrible joke about himself being his evil twin or some shit like that for me to bother with the rest of his review. A joke like that just screams 'hey, I try way too hard to be funny'. Six minutes is enough for me to make a judgment on whether I want to watch the rest of something.

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-18 23:31:53

At 3/18/10 02:29 PM, Aigis wrote: Oh great.

An 'old school' fan bitching about how a game company hasn't locked itself in cryogenics and just released the same game over and over.

And an unfunny one that keeps on insisting on making terrible jokes, at that.

Watched a bit of it. It was terrible. Thought he was wrong about everything, but the fact that he was unfunny while doing it really made it painful to watch.

I don't know what to say... Either you're just don't understand snark, or you're just a butthurt over a comedic internet reviewer ripping your favourite game in the series a new asshole. I liked Final Fantasy X, but seriously, he's right. Fuck Blitzball, it took 100 fucking games to get the the parts for Wakka's ultimate weapon. Granted his thing about Tidus is a little over the top and I actually like Tidus but man, Spoony just heels the fuck out and it's funny. So, if you can't get over that pretentious attitude of yours and learn to laugh at what is a very funny review and get over your fanboyism of the game.

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-19 00:04:33

At 3/18/10 11:31 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: I don't know what to say... Either you're just don't understand snark, or you're just a butthurt over a comedic internet reviewer ripping your favourite game in the series a new asshole.

Or maybe I just didn't think it was funny, and like to express my opinions without opening every statement with "this is what I think but, you know, you guys aren't me so you might think something different."

There are certainly criticisms of the game. I just didn't agree with anything that the guy said and didn't think he was funny.

And when somebody opens a review with "these modern games just can't recapture the magic of THE OLDEN DAYS" or something similar, I tend to be instantly biased against whatever they have to say.

In summary, I didn't think the guy was funny, and as I don't like sitting through 10-20 minutes (or whatever) worth of bad jokes, I didn't like the review.

Whatever.

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-19 00:22:42

At 3/18/10 11:21 PM, Aigis wrote: fan boy nonsense.

Your problem is that you're actually taking this seriously. Don't be so offended its all just for laughs.

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-19 00:28:50

At 3/19/10 12:22 AM, animehater wrote: Your problem is that you're actually taking this seriously. Don't be so offended its all just for laughs.

Ugh.

The thing I was complaining about was that it wasn't funny.

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-19 00:30:33

At 3/19/10 12:28 AM, Aigis wrote: The thing I was complaining about was that it wasn't funny.

Sounds like the reason it wasn't funny to you is because it was offensive. This seems like some pretty lighthearted stuff too.

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-19 00:43:39

At 3/19/10 12:30 AM, animehater wrote: Sounds like the reason it wasn't funny to you is because it was offensive. This seems like some pretty lighthearted stuff too.

Nope.

Just thought the guy was unfunny.

I don't get why that is such a hard thing to wrap your head around.

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-19 21:24:15

At 3/18/10 07:01 PM, Gagsy wrote: I admit I loved the game. I couldn't help but be in tears of laughter when he was talking about Blitz Ball and how Wakka uses the ball as his choice of weapon. It was just too much for me.

Haha, same I watched it last night and despite the incredibly cheesy acting these reviews were funny as hell. Sure I am a final fantasy fanboy but I love these reviews especially on the subjects like wakkas ball and rikku and him yelling at tidus.

Same.

Brb rewatching his FFVIII review.

I finally finished watching them, FF8 is my favourite of the series but these reviews also made me laugh a lot. a whole video on drawing and how you can have a whore's anal cannon, classic.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-20 04:36:52

At 3/19/10 12:43 AM, Aigis wrote: Just thought the guy was unfunny.

Why? Because it didn't contain enough fart jokes and scatalogical humor? Oh well. You still have your precious Ren & Stimpy, or whatever equivalent is considered nowadays to be at the level of the juvenile, ADHD-ridden mindset of this generation (i.e. you).

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-20 06:37:31

At 3/19/10 09:24 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:
I finally finished watching them, FF8 is my favourite of the series but these reviews also made me laugh a lot. a whole video on drawing and how you can have a whore's anal cannon, classic.

omg when he did the "Mento's Mint" thing with Zell with the cheest grin and thumbs up I remember losing it, and the whole thing about drawing magic.

Just fucking epic.

Not my favourite of the series, but I still loved 8 a lot. I'll never be able to play it the same again though =P

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-20 07:32:51

At 3/20/10 04:36 AM, Mareak wrote: Why? Because it didn't contain enough fart jokes and scatalogical humor?

Okay, what? This is just getting ridiculous.

Apparently while I was daydreaming, some guy on the internet getting angry at a video game became the Some Like It Hot of modern society.

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-20 09:43:44

At 3/20/10 07:36 AM, Jawdyn wrote: My friend who I thought would really enjoy it seemed to find it really unfunny. I on the other hand, watched it twice and have listened to it 3 times now. I don't know what it is about Spoony, but his attacking on FFX cracks me up.

Same with anything in life.

Some people like it, some people don't.

Who's wrong? None of us. It's just opinions.

Perhaps some people in this thread should realise this too.

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-24 05:20:52

At 3/24/10 01:15 AM, The777Demon wrote: Spoony just updated his twitter not even an hour ago. He did two reviews and I'm guessing one of them is part 2. Now we have to wait for him to edit them.

I hate editing!

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-24 10:36:22

At 3/18/10 06:17 PM, animehater wrote:
At 3/18/10 02:29 PM, Aigis wrote: Thought he was wrong about everything,
Fan boy.

Anti-fan boy? Roflloalooowoldoloeldoedlrofl

S&Box, the gameĀ Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-24 10:45:52

At 3/20/10 07:36 AM, Jawdyn wrote: My friend who I thought would really enjoy it seemed to find it really unfunny. I on the other hand, watched it twice and have listened to it 3 times now. I don't know what it is about Spoony, but his attacking on FFX cracks me up.

Maybe if you know the guy better and watched more of his stuff you'll appreciate the video more. I mean the beginning of the review is not really the most brilliant piece of cinema he has ever made and it contains a lot of inside jokes. So for people who watch the guy for the first time I can imagine it's a lot less funny. Then of course they'll probably enter the rest of the video with a pretty negative attitude as well so...

Maybe you should show him the FF VIII review first?

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-24 12:27:02

I have mixed feelings about Spoony. He is better than the average online avgn ripoff game reviewer that doesn't script his reviews and thinks yelling "this game is fucking horrible" is the only thing needed to make a funny video. I haven't watched all his reviews but i have watched all of the FMV reviews, and some of the older videos. The old ones are shit, and really boring.
Some of the FMV hell videos are funny, especially the make your own music video game review.
However, most of his videos really seem to drag, and they're way too long. Such as the dragonstrike review where all he does is play the video and do some shitty commentary over it. How can anybody sit through that?
And Dr insano sucks.

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-24 13:38:38

At 3/24/10 12:27 PM, DeIirium wrote: And Dr insano sucks.

I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU FOR YOUR BLASPHEMY!

BBS Signature

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-24 13:42:19

Finally something from Spoony that doesn't consist of him talking to the camera about uninteresting shit for an hour.

It also made me realize how ridiculous Wakka is. He's right, how the fuck is some dude who throws a volleyball such a strong character? Never thought about it before.

Response to Spoony reviews FFX 2010-03-24 16:02:38

At 3/24/10 01:42 PM, Rallard wrote: He's right, how the fuck is some dude who throws a volleyball such a strong character? Never thought about it before.

because he has balls of steel.

BBS Signature