00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What ways should i animate?

741 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What ways should i animate? 2010-03-17 00:08:56

I think i will do frame by frame, but for large objects such as a whale, or godzilla, i dont know if i would have the patience to draw something that big over and over. i just need some tips on how to do things in certain situations, like when i should change from one style to another. or idk, kinda getting overhwelmed =/ like i will see some really amazing flash and it only took the person like 5 days, where it would take me like 3 months.

BBS Signature

Response to What ways should i animate? 2010-03-17 02:51:47

A good use of frame by frame will always be appreciated on newgrounds.
"tweening" is also a great way of filling in time. But, it can easily be exercised in a tacky way. I use tweening for landscapes, or introducing a setting.

for things that you dont want to draw all over again... you can draw it all once. then you can copy that frame and use it as a template, erasing what you can and drawing it over again. either way this is going to take forever.

If your looking for a time saver, you are still going to spend many hours.

Current Art Thread some NSFW (2022)

Past Art Thread (2013-2020)

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to What ways should i animate? 2010-03-17 05:21:04

THE BEST WAY TO ANIMATE IS TO LEARN ALL THE TOOLS AT YOUR DISPOSAL AND DECISEVELY USE THEM TO THEIR ADVANTAGES TO ACHIEVE THE OPTIMAL RESULTS.
So don't go overboard with the FbF, it'll kill you. The tweens are similar but other people kill you instead.

Response to What ways should i animate? 2010-03-18 08:20:22

At 3/17/10 05:21 AM, PaperBagMask wrote: THE BEST WAY TO ANIMATE IS TO LEARN ALL THE TOOLS AT YOUR DISPOSAL AND DECISEVELY USE THEM TO THEIR ADVANTAGES TO ACHIEVE THE OPTIMAL RESULTS.
So don't go overboard with the FbF, it'll kill you. The tweens are similar but other people kill you instead.

qft

Use a little bit of everything to get the best results.

Bringing the violence back to NG, one flash at a time..

Response to What ways should i animate? 2010-03-18 16:21:15

The best advice I can give is practice, practice, practice. And then, when you can hardly see straight and your hands are about to fall off, practice some more. That's the only way you can improve and get to that "This only took me 5 days" level.

BBS Signature

Response to What ways should i animate? 2010-03-18 16:30:43

Ideally you should go full Frame-by-Frame unless:

1. It will look better by using tweens (scrolling background, shifting camera)
2. You have time constraints to deal with and have opportunities where tweens will fit the bill

Tweens look good if used effectively, but nothing beats FBF imho.

Response to What ways should i animate? 2010-03-18 19:42:09

Two sugesstions, one is to do a movie clip with the large image, copy and paste, then edit only the ares you need. always make sure onion skin is on for this method.

The other way is to obtain Photoshop and copy/paste the image to a new layer in photoshop, then edit the upper level image only.

BBS Signature

Response to What ways should i animate? 2010-03-20 13:37:53

At 3/17/10 02:51 AM, Spac3case916 wrote: A good use of frame by frame will always be appreciated on newgrounds.
"tweening" is also a great way of filling in time. But, it can easily be exercised in a tacky way. I use tweening for landscapes, or introducing a setting.

for things that you dont want to draw all over again... you can draw it all once. then you can copy that frame and use it as a template, erasing what you can and drawing it over again. either way this is going to take forever.

: If your looking for a time saver, you are still going to spend many hours.

i can personally attest to that. I'm in the middle of an fbf project and I'm a little over halfway, and it's been SIX months since I started!

I the werewolf have spoken and let my words be the truth.