During the NYC Meet this past weekend it became abundantly clear to me that there was a demand for some good east-coast fun. And while the NYC meet was awesome, I think I can speak for us all that we had a blast, I'd say that there were some obstacles which hindered total pleasure. Some of which include: the freezing rain, walking long distances, the possibilities of getting lost, the need for reservations in large numbers, the desire for cheapness, the availability for hotels, and a few other random things.
I'm not exactly sure how we came upon the topic, but Luis and I got to fantasizing about a New Jersey Meet and how nicely it'd work out. It came down to these aspects:
1. NJ is close to both NYC and Philly, which are the two directions that a lot of the guests come from. It is also helpful to say that "if you can make it to NYC, you can make it to NJ."
2. The meet will be in the summertime, which will hopefully decrease the chances of sudden winter to spring monsoons.
3. It will also help that everyone's schedules are, usually, a little more free during the summer.
4. The beach is a cheap and easy way to manage large crowds with a central point of interest and very close surrounding sources of fun SUCH AS the Boardwalk games, Arcades, Amusement park, Mini golf, Volleyball, Outdoor concerts, Parasailing close by, Food stands, Bars, and even bathrooms! Imagine that? At night there are usually beach attractions as well, such as outdoor movie nights and fireworks. BONUS: If it does rain, there are plenty of indoor Arcades and restaurants. Besides, it is unlikely that there will be freezing rain lasting all weekend during the summer anyway. We could ignore the rain for a bit until it goes away--we'll be wet anyway.
5. The beach is an excellent tourist location, so there are naturally plenty of hotels within walking proximity of the beach itself ranging from dirt cheap to the rather ritzy in Bungalow Beach Home Weekend Rentals. There is also virtually endless parking ranging from far away and free to right up close and personal for a fee of about $10 for a day!
6. It is a perfect way to get us all at a meet where we do not at any point of being at the meet itself bring out a laptop to cam together/watch movies/play games together. I think the interaction IRL portion of meets is pretty essential. Ya'll can cam it up on your own time in the hotels/rooms. ;)
7. There is a stop for NJ Transit (trains) near/for the beach I plan us being at and they bus people off to the beach in some instances too if the walk is too much. (don't ask me too much about this..you can visit NJ Transit's website for train details if you plan on taking a train/bus)
8. The meet is entirely age-friendly! If those who are 21+ want to drink, there is the option of drinking a concealed beverage on the beach or sitting at one of the bars, either openfront or closed off restaurant type! Oh look at the options!
Anyway down to the facts.
I plan on making this meet mid-late July. I'm thinking the weekend of the Friday 16- Sun 18 because anything in earlier months can conflict with weather/plans/school and the same is true for August, since some users (me) go back to college/university then. Also July 4 can tend to be a tad rowdy and unnecessarily crowded. I figure after the fuss is over, the 16-18 should be far enough from the 4th to be fun and do-able. This also leaves plenty of time for you out-of-the-staters to get your passports and save up for the expenses, however minimal.
The beach is Point Pleasant because, while there are many strips of beaches on the same shore, this one comes complete with the arcades and rides and all..so it's a tad more..exciting. :)
Sorry for the wall of text, but I really want to get the word out asap to see that this works out. If you have any questions feel free to ask in the thread, as long as they're pertaining to the meet and not why "Jersey doesn't suck."
It is also not our fault about MTV's Jersey Shore. Those people got into fights because they were unwanted here. Also, if nothing else, they will be something to laugh at. Everyone loves a good Snookie now and then.