New Topic Respond to this Topic
Yukin
Yukin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
I have a scientific question Mar. 14th, 2010 @ 09:49 PM Reply

I've always wondered this, and bear with me if I sound stupid. You know how you see because of the light bouncing off w/e surfaces right? And they say that if you look at a star in the sky it may already be dead but the light showing this hasn't reached earth yet?

So my question is: Let's say we were somehow able to move faster than the speed of light, only at a somewhat faster speed. If we look at the earth with some sort of super telescope while moving away from it, would we essentially see time move backwards on the earth?

BBS Signature
Mz-frost95-fr
Mz-frost95-fr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Melancholy
Response to I have a scientific question Mar. 14th, 2010 @ 09:51 PM Reply

No, it would just be slower, but not reverse. I think.

AndrewGlisson13
AndrewGlisson13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to I have a scientific question Mar. 14th, 2010 @ 09:51 PM Reply

I think that's precisely what would happen.

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to I have a scientific question Mar. 14th, 2010 @ 09:52 PM Reply

At 3/14/10 09:49 PM, Yukin wrote: I've always wondered this, and bear with me if I sound stupid. You know how you see because of the light bouncing off w/e surfaces right? And they say that if you look at a star in the sky it may already be dead but the light showing this hasn't reached earth yet?

So my question is: Let's say we were somehow able to move faster than the speed of light, only at a somewhat faster speed. If we look at the earth with some sort of super telescope while moving away from it, would we essentially see time move backwards on the earth?

First off, you meant to use the word *bare*.

Secondly, nothing is faster than the speed of light.

Your scenario isn't feasible, thus not worth discussing.

BBS Signature
REDSPADES
REDSPADES
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to I have a scientific question Mar. 14th, 2010 @ 09:54 PM Reply

holy shit. That's a good question. I'm thinking yes, but it depends on how much faster than the speed of light you travel. If its an exponential amount you might notice changes in the planet's surface but otherwise i dont know. Its possible though, when you compare it to your logic of already dead stars.

.....There was a hole. *sig by LimitedMortality*

BBS Signature
Rabid-Echidna
Rabid-Echidna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to I have a scientific question Mar. 14th, 2010 @ 09:54 PM Reply

At 3/14/10 09:49 PM, Yukin wrote:

Technically. The question is irrelevant since you can't move faster than light, but if you could magically teleport yourself far enough away from the planet you would be seeing an image of however long ago it took the light to get there.

My art gallery, because I'm better than you at things.

BBS Signature
Salnax
Salnax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to I have a scientific question Mar. 14th, 2010 @ 09:55 PM Reply

Correct. By traveling faster than light, it would be possible to watch human history in reverse.

AcetheSuperVillain
AcetheSuperVillain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to I have a scientific question Mar. 14th, 2010 @ 10:08 PM Reply

I might point out that the THEORETICAL physics behind not being able to move at the speed of light are complete bullshit anyways, and not based on anything remotely observational, AND you can theoretically go from one point to another faster than the speed of light would allow by finding or making a wormhole, so this is perfectly worth discussing.

AND whether you're going faster than light or not, light does not necessarily go from point A to point B in a straight line in space. I.e, it could get bended by the gravity of a black hole's event horizon. So you could end up observing the same thing from two different times.

As fer the actual question, I think you'd be right about time appearing to move backwards, based on what I know. On the same note, that makes me wonder: If you were flying towards a concert faster than Mach1, would you hear it in reverse? We'll have to send that into Mythbusters.

Ace the SuperVillain

BBS Signature