New Topic Respond to this Topic
Pandamir
Pandamir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 7th, 2010 @ 11:53 PM Reply

How do you level up and/or catch pokemon on the Pokewalker cause I just started using it and got like 800 steps and just still don't know that much about.

Love is giving somebody the power to destroy you and trusting them not to!!

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 12:00 AM Reply

At 4/7/10 11:53 PM, I-Love-Caitlyn wrote: How do you level up and/or catch pokemon on the Pokewalker cause I just started using it and got like 800 steps and just still don't know that much about.

as you walk you gain watts (visible on the bottom right of the menu bit of the pokewalker). the option on the far left is to catch pokemon, it costs 10 watts (if you dont spend them, watts go towards unlocking more areas to walk your pokemon in) to try. You select the grass with the [!] in it, then there may be a second [!] on a different piece of grass or whatever, the more [!]s you get the rarer the pokemon is, whatever.

Then you're at a rudimentary fight menu, essentially just hit the left button till its at one health then throw a pokeball and bam, you've caught a pokemon! It'll go to your box next time you sync up your pokewalker with your game.

cizzin
cizzin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 12:10 AM Reply

At 3/14/10 08:42 PM, jacio9 wrote:
At 3/14/10 08:24 PM, Gustavos wrote:
By the way, I said "remakes".
Oh...
Red & Blue-Yellow
Gold & Silver-Crystal
Sapphire & Ruby-Emerald
Diamond & Pearl-Platinum
FireRed & Leafgreen-HeartGold & SoulSilver

Whats the point of getting one of the first two when theyll come out with a remake which is better anyway?

Pandamir
Pandamir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 12:12 AM Reply

At 4/8/10 12:00 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: as you walk you gain watts (visible on the bottom right of the menu bit of the pokewalker). the option on the far left is to catch pokemon, it costs 10 watts (if you dont spend them, watts go towards unlocking more areas to walk your pokemon in) to try. You select the grass with the [!] in it, then there may be a second [!] on a different piece of grass or whatever, the more [!]s you get the rarer the pokemon is, whatever.

Thanks BBM for your help cause I just got up to about 1000 watts now but still like I said figuring things out as I go. Hopefully can catch some good pokemon. So i'm guessing you level them up the same way?

BBS Signature
simon
simon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 04:37 AM Reply

At 4/7/10 11:16 PM, DirtySyko wrote:
At 4/7/10 09:47 PM, TheMaster wrote:
Grinding isn't fun. It's tedious.
Yeah I agree. I couldn't force myself to grind on wild Pokemon, that was way too much. The only decent way to go about doing it is Elite 4 rematches and Gym rematches, but with gym rematches only being at certain times, that made it worse.

I just change my DS time to match when the gym leader wants to battle me. I know you might see it as cheating but no one with a normal working life in their right mind would wait some days of the week just to fight a few Level 50-80 Pokemon lol.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Playstation ID: SCParry || Steam ID: GNS_SimpLe
3DS Friend Code: 2878-9581-7218 || Nintendo ID: SCParry

BBS Signature
warshark
warshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 05:10 AM Reply

After which point can you do the gym leader rematches?

Sig made by simon <3
360 Gamertag - Warshark NG
PSN ID - xI_Warshark_Ix

BBS Signature
simon
simon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 05:32 AM Reply

At 4/8/10 05:10 AM, warshark wrote: After which point can you do the gym leader rematches?

Any point in the game, as far as I know.. as long as you beat the one you want to rematch.

Remember, they all go to Saffron City to rematch you so I guess you'll have to at least be up to Kanto to rematch them.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Playstation ID: SCParry || Steam ID: GNS_SimpLe
3DS Friend Code: 2878-9581-7218 || Nintendo ID: SCParry

BBS Signature
Pandamir
Pandamir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 05:59 AM Reply

At 4/8/10 05:32 AM, simon wrote: Remember, they all go to Saffron City to rematch you so I guess you'll have to at least be up to Kanto to rematch them.

Well that's good to know. But how do you grind and all that? I may not be far enough along in the game to be able to do it but would still like to know what it is and how it's done.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 09:07 AM Reply

At 4/8/10 05:59 AM, I-Love-Caitlyn wrote:
At 4/8/10 05:32 AM, simon wrote: Remember, they all go to Saffron City to rematch you so I guess you'll have to at least be up to Kanto to rematch them.
Well that's good to know. But how do you grind and all that? I may not be far enough along in the game to be able to do it but would still like to know what it is and how it's done.

You're asking what 'grinding' means?

Well as far as I know it's simply the whole process of training your pokemon to gain levels and make them stronger without proceeding with the story. You're just fighting some wild pokemon somewhere to gain a couple of levels. Obviously it's best to do this in a place with high leveled wild pokemon so that you will gain more experience (which will make the process faster and less boring).

It's a term used for any other RPG with a level system as well by the way. In other games it also means fighting random enemies to make your characters stronger.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
TheAmateurAnimator
TheAmateurAnimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 06:20 PM Reply

God I'm so sick of grinding. The day I revived the Dome Fossil and got Kabuto, I leveled it from 20 to 40 just so I could get it to Kabutops, and it was so boring! All my best non-legendary Pokemon are in their mid- to upper- forties and I've already beaten every gym leader, so it looks like I've got lots of grinding to look forward to. It's the only major flaw, in my opinion, in this otherwise flawless game.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

BBS Signature
akmeteor
akmeteor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 06:31 PM Reply

Red raped my rather week team. I mean I barely beat Blue then went over there. FFFFFFFUUUU-

Well.

Shit.

VaginaNinja
VaginaNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 07:14 PM Reply

hey guys, would someone be willing to trade my level 30 red gyrados for a scyther of roughly the same level?
My FC is

scetch00
scetch00
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 07:20 PM Reply

At 4/8/10 06:31 PM, akmeteor wrote: Red raped my rather week team. I mean I barely beat Blue then went over there. FFFFFFFUUUU-

Weak*

And it's pretty common knowledge that Red has the highest level pokemon in the game compared to all other trainers -___-

BBS Signature
Pandamir
Pandamir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 07:29 PM Reply

I just got done getting my last gym badge in Jhoto now how to get to kanto? And well I thought grinding meant something completely different that then actual meaning. But anyway trying to get my red gyrados's level up so I won't have to just use my typhlosion all the time and will have a back up ready to fight.

BBS Signature
Zwe
Zwe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 07:47 PM Reply

I'm currently attempting to complete the Pokedex. I'm nearly finished with the Johto dex and have some other Pokemons, so I'm more than halfway there.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

BBS Signature
Pandamir
Pandamir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 07:58 PM Reply

At 4/8/10 07:47 PM, Zwe wrote: I'm currently attempting to complete the Pokedex. I'm nearly finished with the Johto dex and have some other Pokemons, so I'm more than halfway there.

Yeah that's the one thing that always takes the longest time for any pokemon game. But now that you have two seperate pokedexes for two different towns it's really going to suck some time out to be able to accomplish the task.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 05:40 AM Reply

At 4/8/10 07:29 PM, I-Love-Caitlyn wrote: I just got done getting my last gym badge in Jhoto now how to get to kanto?

Claire told you that ;)

Just go back to New Bark Town and surf to the right. You'll find some cave where you're gonna need Waterfall to get through it. Then just follow the path, through the Victory Road to get to the Indigo Plateau.

And well I thought grinding meant something completely different that then actual meaning. But anyway trying to get my red gyrados's level up so I won't have to just use my typhlosion all the time and will have a back up ready to fight.

Well... it's probably best to have six decent Pokemon in your team rather than having only one or two good ones. Eventually you might run into a trainer who has type advantages versus those two and then you're gonna be in trouble. On top of that in the Pokemon League you'll have to face five trainers in a row without being able to heal back up at a Pokemon Center. You might run into the problem that you run out of your strongest moves after a while and then you're also fucked.

So it's best to balance your party, get as many different types as possible and keep them at about the same level.

BBS Signature
warshark
warshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 07:22 AM Reply

Will anyone be willing to trade with me later today so my kadabra and graveler will evolve? I've finally got internet that works with SS and not just the DSi store. I'm on the ship to Kanto at the moment so can't trade right now. I'll post again when I get there.

Sig made by simon <3
PSN ID - xI_Warshark_Ix

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 12:21 PM Reply

Does anybody know whether the EV system was already implemented in the original Silver and Gold versions?

Because I wanted to boost my Dragonair's HP a little, but after fighting a horde of Slowpokes its HP only went up with the usual +3. There was no notable increase in the other stats either.

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 12:51 PM Reply

At 4/9/10 12:21 PM, Auz wrote: Does anybody know whether the EV system was already implemented in the original Silver and Gold versions?

Because I wanted to boost my Dragonair's HP a little, but after fighting a horde of Slowpokes its HP only went up with the usual +3. There was no notable increase in the other stats either.

I know that they had an EV system way back since Red/Blue except it was way simpler. The new EV system is in all games starting from Ruby/Sapphire. So it is in HG/SS.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 02:53 PM Reply

I just got to the Indigo Plateau. The Victory Road was far easier than I thought it would be. Even my Rival was a piece of cake and I didn't expect his Pokemon would only be around level 35. I thought he already had level 40's by then.

Anyway, not going to try the Elite 4 yet. My highest levels are still only 36, so I can definitely not beat them at the moment. Gonna try to get them around level 42 or so before I do an attempt.

At 4/9/10 12:51 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: I know that they had an EV system way back since Red/Blue except it was way simpler. The new EV system is in all games starting from Ruby/Sapphire. So it is in HG/SS.

I don't get how the old, simplified system would work then. It seems to me like my Dragonair is just growing according to base stats, no matter what Pokemon I battle.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 02:59 PM Reply

At 4/9/10 02:53 PM, Auz wrote: I don't get how the old, simplified system would work then. It seems to me like my Dragonair is just growing according to base stats, no matter what Pokemon I battle.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/E ffort_values#Generation_II

It's much more simplistic, and it's possible to max out every stat, not just 2 of them like in Gen 3 onwards.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 03:41 PM Reply

At 4/9/10 02:59 PM, TheMaster wrote: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/E ffort_values#Generation_II

It's much more simplistic, and it's possible to max out every stat, not just 2 of them like in Gen 3 onwards.

Oh I see. So basically if you fight long enough, you will eventually max out every stat and you don't have to worry about EV's at all. That's nice :)

At 4/9/10 03:23 PM, Ejit wrote:
At 4/9/10 02:53 PM, Auz wrote: Anyway, not going to try the Elite 4 yet. My highest levels are still only 36, so I can definitely not beat them at the moment. Gonna try to get them around level 42 or so before I do an attempt.
Where are you going to train? Victory Road?

Probably either there, or in the regions around Blackthorn City. What I also used to do is deposit all my money at mom and then take on the league challenge. Of course I was gonna lose, but I could always defeat a couple of their Pokemon to gather lots of experience and I would barely lose any money if I lost.

BBS Signature
warshark
warshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 07:03 PM Reply

Lt. Surge was a pushover. I beat him with my level 39/40 (levelled mid-battle) and my typhlosion took care of the magneton.

1 down, 7 to go.

Sig made by simon <3
PSN ID - xI_Warshark_Ix

BBS Signature
warshark
warshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 07:12 PM Reply

At 4/9/10 07:03 PM, warshark wrote: Lt. Surge was a pushover. I beat him with my level 39/40 (levelled mid-battle) and my typhlosion took care of the magneton.

1 down, 7 to go.

Level 39/40 Graveler I meant to put. I think Typhlosion is level 50.

Sig made by simon <3
PSN ID - xI_Warshark_Ix

BBS Signature
wafflecake12
wafflecake12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 07:12 PM Reply

I beat red. Yes.

Gamertag: Evilchicken43
"Screw those people, I have pancakes."
Sig by simon

BBS Signature
Simple
Simple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 07:45 PM Reply

Trying to level up my Aggron efficiently in Mt Silver. Because I imported it from my Sapphire I gain an exp bonus which is very helpful. I am looking at getting it to a high level and maybe teaching it Earthquake; but I don't want to use a TM on a Pokemon that I wont use a whole lot.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 08:46 PM Reply

At 4/9/10 07:45 PM, Simple wrote: Trying to level up my Aggron efficiently in Mt Silver.

Aggron is weird. Looks like it should be up there with Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamance, Metagross and Garchomp as a pseudo-legendary, but it's actually pretty weak. Great defense and good attack, but crap special defense and HP means the likes of Focus Blast should knock it down in one, and it's dead slow too.

BBS Signature
Simple
Simple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 08:55 PM Reply

At 4/9/10 08:46 PM, TheMaster wrote: Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamance, Metagross and Garchomp

It was a choice between Aggron, Tyranitar and Salamance.

I have never used any of them properly only to level them up for the Pokedex completions. I think the best idea is to swap to a Tyranitar as I want a strong Pokemon to take down Red's Pikachu straight away. Choices choices.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 09:04 PM Reply

At 4/9/10 08:55 PM, Simple wrote:
At 4/9/10 08:46 PM, TheMaster wrote: Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamance, Metagross and Garchomp
It was a choice between Aggron, Tyranitar and Salamance.

I have never used any of them properly only to level them up for the Pokedex completions. I think the best idea is to swap to a Tyranitar as I want a strong Pokemon to take down Red's Pikachu straight away. Choices choices.

They're both great choices. Tyranitar has STAB Crunch and Stone Edge, and has great defenses, but is a bit on the slow side, while Salamance has slightly better attack (literally 1 point), but also has good special attack, opening up stuff like Flamethrower, in addition to the insanely damaging STAB Outrage. He's also significantly faster, but has worse defenses, and has that irritating double weakness to ice. However, access to Roost lets you recover, something Tyranitar can't do.

BBS Signature