00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ministerhomer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread

68,553 Views | 1,021 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 11:12:17

At 4/2/10 09:38 AM, SaltshakerClock wrote:
At 4/2/10 09:34 AM, Robojester wrote: What about Sudowoodo?
Sudowoodo is ok, you can encounter him later on in the game. If you just started, I'd take a Geodude. Easy to find any catch.

His stats are pretty low actually + he's not a ground type. I would go with Geodude for at least the first part of the game. Later on he might not be so useful anymore, so you might want to ditch him for some other one if you want a Rock/Ground that badly. Rhydon is pretty good I think. Near the end you might want to consider Tyranitar which is one of the best in the game.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 11:36:14

Weekday siblings!

Have you met them all? Power up your Pokemon's moves!

Does anybody know if the surfing/flying Pikachu thing will go on again? I missed my chance.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 12:24:30

At 4/2/10 12:08 PM, Ejit wrote: Where can I get a firestone?

I'm sick of this fucking Vulpix. It's so weak.

P.S hi what's up fellas

It's possible that you could win one, for winning the bug catching contest, or you might get lucky and someone who's phone number you get, might give it you as a gift they found or something.

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 12:29:46

At 4/2/10 12:08 PM, Ejit wrote: Where can I get a firestone?

I'm sick of this fucking Vulpix. It's so weak.

P.S hi what's up fellas

At the PokeAthlon dome, to the right side of that huge lobby in the building, is a place to spend the points you won. They sell three different colored Apricots, one of the stones, PP ups, and Moomoo milk. The items change. Every day there are new Apricot colors, and a new stone. I remember Tuesday is Water Stone, Wednesday is Thunderstone, and, if I recall, the Fire stone is available on Mondays. All stones are worth 2500 points, so you'll need to win a few competitions.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 12:42:30

Finally got myself a female Skarmory. Costed 8 ultra balls and 1 heavy ball to catch it, even when it was at 1 HP and paralyzed.

Anyway, all I gotta do now is beat the 8th gymleader and catch a male Doduo with Drill Peck to get the Skarmory I want.

At 4/2/10 12:36 PM, Ejit wrote: Another question, which would you choose to carry about between Skarmory and Pidgeot? Pidgeot's got better attacking and speed but Skarmory defence is great.

Skarmory is much better I think.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 13:00:20

At 4/2/10 12:46 PM, Ejit wrote:
At 4/2/10 12:42 PM, Auz wrote: Finally got myself a female Skarmory. Costed 8 ultra balls and 1 heavy ball to catch it, even when it was at 1 HP and paralyzed.
Lol...I just by chance came across one and caught it 3rd go with a great ball, mine is male though. Well done anyway. :P

Lucky bastard.

Anyway, all I gotta do now is beat the 8th gymleader and catch a male Doduo with Drill Peck to get the Skarmory I want.
Cool, I think we're in about the same place then.

If you're also walking around Blackthorn City at the moment than we are indeed in the same place.

Thanks for the advice, I will keep Skarmory as most of my other pokemon are 1st gen which is pretty boring.

Maybe I should elaborate a bit on why I think Skarmory is better :p

While Pidgeot has a higher attacking stat, Skarmory can learn stronger moves. If you breed it with a Doduo like I do, you can get Skarmory with Drill Peck which is one of the strongest flying moves. Pidgeot can't learn Drill Peck on the other hand. Skarmory also learns Steel Wing which is stronger than any of Pidgeots moves. So I think Skarmory makes up for the difference in attack that way.

Defense-wise Skarmory is off course way better. I think Skarmory has the largest amount of resistances out of all pokemon (against 9 types). Pidgeot goes down pretty quickly as you've probably experienced.

So the only thing Pidgeot has speaking for him is his speed, which isn't that important I think.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 14:02:46

If you're doing egg moves for a Skarmory, you're better off breeding it to get Brave Bird, rather than Drill Peck. 120 base power, same as Fire Blast/Hydro Pump/Solar Beam etc. Does have recoil damage, but you can just Roost that off.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 14:19:25

At 4/2/10 01:00 PM, Auz wrote: I think Skarmory has the largest amount of resistances out of all pokemon (against 9 types).

Since D/P/P at least, Empoleon's held that title, with 11 resistances and an immunity to poison (inc double resistance to steel and ice). That said, its weaknesses to fighting, ground, and electric kind of negate that since everyone and their friend has earthquake or thunder or similar these days.

* Normal : ½×
* Flying : ½×
* Rock : ½×
* Bug : ½×
* Ghost : ½×
* Steel : ¼×
* Water : ½×
* Psychic : ½×
* Ice : ¼×
* Dragon : ½×
* Dark : ½×

* Poison : 0×

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 14:35:40

I found my copy of Diamond and if anyone can give me a Flying and/or Surfing Pikachu, if not for free out of your kind selves (>_>), I'll give you my event Arceus Lvl 100.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 14:41:23

At 4/2/10 02:35 PM, scetch00 wrote: I found my copy of Diamond and if anyone can give me a Flying and/or Surfing Pikachu, if not for free out of your kind selves (>_>), I'll give you my event Arceus Lvl 100.

It also allows you to go into an area in HG/SS that lets you get Palkia, Dialga, or Giratina.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 15:27:27

At 4/2/10 02:02 PM, TheMaster wrote: If you're doing egg moves for a Skarmory, you're better off breeding it to get Brave Bird, rather than Drill Peck. 120 base power, same as Fire Blast/Hydro Pump/Solar Beam etc. Does have recoil damage, but you can just Roost that off.

I'm playing the original Silver version so fancy moves like those don't exist yet :p The only flying move better than Drill Peck was Aeroblast in the original so Drill Peck would be excellent for Skarmory.

At 4/2/10 02:19 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 4/2/10 01:00 PM, Auz wrote: I think Skarmory has the largest amount of resistances out of all pokemon (against 9 types).
Since D/P/P at least, Empoleon's held that title, with 11 resistances and an immunity to poison (inc double resistance to steel and ice). That said, its weaknesses to fighting, ground, and electric kind of negate that since everyone and their friend has earthquake or thunder or similar these days.

Wait, I forgot some. Skarmory is also strong against 11 types.

Normal 1/2x
Grass 1/4x
Poison 0x
Ground 0x
Flying 1/2x
Psychic 1/2x
Bug 1/4x
Ghost 1/2x
Dragon 1/2x
Dark 1/2x
Steel 1/2x

With two 0x resistances, two 1/4x resistances and only two weaknesses, he seems to have a better type combo than Empoleon.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 15:50:47

Skarmory is a great Spiker in Gen IV, too.

Mine's got:
Spikes
Whirlwind
Brave Bird
Roost

Can generally survive easily long enough to get all 3 sets of Spikes down, especially with Roost, then can cycle the opponents Pokemon with Whirlwind to knock 1/4 off of each of their HPs, and then start hitting with Brave Bird until he goes down.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 15:53:59

lol'd at heart gold. Soul silver has way better storyline pokemon anyway.
i plan on getting soul silver on the 7th April (lol england is waiting)

I'M ANGRY. NUF' SAID. D8<

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 15:57:27

At 4/2/10 03:53 PM, Theangryman wrote: lol'd at heart gold. Soul silver has way better storyline pokemon anyway.
i plan on getting soul silver on the 7th April (lol england is waiting)

Explain how? You can get all storyline pokemon in both games either way.

Or did you not know that?

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 17:02:55

At 4/2/10 04:03 PM, Ejit wrote: There are differences between them aren't there? E.g. Groudon and Kyogre

Yeah, and Latios and Latias.

Also, I was in Seafoam Island to fight Blaine, and they've added an entire cave section, complete with Articuno, which wasn't in the originals.

Can you get the other two birds as well? I haven't checked Victory Road for Moltres yet, but where would Zapdos be, given the Power Plant is inhabited now?

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 17:04:21

If you breed a shiny pokemon, will the egg hatch into a shiny pokemon?
Also, if a shiny pokemon evolves does it still stay shiny?

I caught a delibird earlier with relative ease. I'm sure they were much harder to catch in Silver. I'm probably going to try and catch a skarmory for help with the dragon gym. I guess an Ice pokemon would be of better use. Decisions, decisions.

Sig made by simon <3

360 Gamertag - Warshark NG

PSN ID - xI_Warshark_Ix

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 17:06:01

At 4/2/10 05:04 PM, warshark wrote: If you breed a shiny pokemon, will the egg hatch into a shiny pokemon?

No.

Also, if a shiny pokemon evolves does it still stay shiny?

Yes.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 17:18:17

At 4/2/10 05:06 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 4/2/10 05:04 PM, warshark wrote: If you breed a shiny pokemon, will the egg hatch into a shiny pokemon?
No.

Well, it's not an absolute YES, but it changes your chances to 1 in 160 of having a shiny baby, I think.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 17:29:40

At 4/2/10 05:02 PM, TheMaster wrote:

Also, I was in Seafoam Island to fight Blaine, and they've added an entire cave section, complete with Articuno, which wasn't in the originals.

Can you get the other two birds as well? I haven't checked Victory Road for Moltres yet, but where would Zapdos be, given the Power Plant is inhabited now?

Articuno: Seafoam Islands
Zapdos: Power Plant (Raikou is a roamer)
Moltres: ??? (Im not sure where he is)

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 17:44:02

At 4/2/10 05:18 PM, SaltshakerClock wrote: Well, it's not an absolute YES, but it changes your chances to 1 in 160 of having a shiny baby, I think.

Nope. Only way to increase chances of having a shiny baby is to have one parent from a foreign language game, which increases it from 1 in 8192 to 1 in 2048.

Breeding shinys only increased chances of shiny offspring in Generation 2, not in 3 or 4.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 18:13:15

At 4/2/10 02:35 PM, scetch00 wrote: I found my copy of Diamond and if anyone can give me a Flying and/or Surfing Pikachu, if not for free out of your kind selves (>_>), I'll give you my event Arceus Lvl 100.

*cough* action replay *cough*

I mean, you know, if you want one that bad and everything.

At 4/2/10 05:02 PM, TheMaster wrote:

http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilv er/legends.shtml

This makes it sound like they are all obtainable.

I've been refurbished and reissued, prepackaged and precooked, decontaminated and deloused, but I still smell, sound, look and feel like shit.

New to the video game forums?

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 19:36:56

Guys, he said main storyline pokemon, which I assume he meant Lugia as such. I figure since you know, you can still get both in either game, just the other at lvl 70, that's what he was wrong about.

Also DirtySyko, I don't wanna resort to cheating.. I got all 493 legit in Diamond, but I wanna start fresh, mostly.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 19:44:51

At 4/2/10 07:36 PM, scetch00 wrote: I got all 493 legit in Diamond, but I wanna start fresh, mostly.

What, even Celebi? Never had a release outside of Japan.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 20:13:00

At 4/2/10 05:04 PM, warshark wrote: I guess an Ice pokemon would be of better use. Decisions, decisions.

I caught a Jinx for that, it's done me well all the way through the Elite 4 up to Lance. I have a save right outside the battle, with two of my stupidly low level pokemon fainted and the other 4 high levels in pretty much top form.

Need to go try again.

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 20:34:02

OK Pokepros, I have a couple newb questions I hope you can help me with:

1) Are there any benefits to not evolving your Pokemon besides getting moves at earlier levels, or moves that the evolved form wouldn't get? Does it affect stats at all? Like, at level 14 Cyndaquil evolves into Quilava. If I stop him from evolving and don't let him evolve until level 25, will that level 25 Quilava have different stats than if I had evolved Cyndaquil at 14?

2) Does your Attack stat only apply to Physical moves, and does your Sp. Attack stat only apply to Special moves? For instance, my Gyarados' move setup is Hydro Pump, Hyper Beam, Dragon Dance and Ice Fang. Dragon Dance ups your Attack and your Speed. Hydro Pump and Hyper Beam are both Special, where Ice Fang is Physical. So would Dragon Dance only affect Ice Fang, damage wise? As I understand it, that's how it works. All of them would increase in Speed, but only my Physical moves would increase in damage, since it increases Attack and not Sp. Attack.

I've been refurbished and reissued, prepackaged and precooked, decontaminated and deloused, but I still smell, sound, look and feel like shit.

New to the video game forums?

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 21:06:21

At 4/2/10 03:27 PM, Auz wrote: he seems to have a better type combo than Empoleon.

The final deal seems to be:
---------------- Empoleon ------ Skarmory
Immunity --------- 1 ----------------- 2
Resistance ------- 9 ----------------- 7
Double res ------- 2 ----------------- 2
Normal ------------ 2 ----------------- 4
Weakness ------- 3 ----------------- 2

As it stands both are pretty even. I couldn't objectify either based on pure statistics.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 21:16:30

I caught Entei, Raikou and Lugia today. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 21:35:37

Does anybody know where Suicune is? I can only find Raikou and Entei running around. Is Suicune a part of the storyline like In Crystal version which I never played?

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 21:57:00

At 4/2/10 09:16 PM, simon wrote: I caught Entei, Raikou and Lugia today. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I picked up Articuno, Zapdos and Latias. Still need to get Raikou, Lugia, Mewtwo and Moltres.

At 4/2/10 09:35 PM, Gustavos wrote: Does anybody know where Suicune is? I can only find Raikou and Entei running around. Is Suicune a part of the storyline like In Crystal version which I never played?

You have to encounter Suicune a few times, and then you eventually fight him near Bill's house north of Cerulean City.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-02 22:17:03

At 4/2/10 07:44 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 4/2/10 07:36 PM, scetch00 wrote: I got all 493 legit in Diamond, but I wanna start fresh, mostly.
What, even Celebi? Never had a release outside of Japan.

GTS with a japanese buddy of mine. One of my best friends and always looks out for me. I owe him, even though it's just a game :P

BBS Signature