New Topic Respond to this Topic
runpoochrun
runpoochrun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
IP address traceable if via Gmail? 2010-03-12 07:39:50 Reply

I know that in Gmail, I can normally find the IP address of a non-Gmail sender by going to "Show original" in a given message and then finding the IP address after the final "Received: from".

However, let's discuss a converse situation. If I send a message via Gmail, will the receiver be able to trace my IP address from that message? I have tested it out (e.g. sending a message via a Gmail account to another Gmail account I have), and could not trace any IP address besides that of "mr.google.com", which is the mail server's and not mine. And indeed, according to http://ask-leo.com/can_gmail_be_traced.h tml, mail sent from web-based mail services (like Gmail or Hotmail) originates on the service's server, not one's computer, such that one's IP address is normally not compromised (unless law enforcement is involved, which isn't likely if nothing illegal was done).

But I would like to be sure, for privacy reasons, that my IP address isn't shown if I send a message via Gmail. Any input from people who know about this stuff is welcome. Thanks.

runpoochrun
runpoochrun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to IP address traceable if via Gmail? 2010-03-12 07:44:05 Reply

Also, anyone know if it's the same case with Yahoo?

sdleihssirhc
sdleihssirhc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to IP address traceable if via Gmail? 2010-03-12 07:45:49 Reply

Do you have an account from your ISP that has a static IP? Most residences don't, in which case (I think; I don't know the context) it wouldn't matter.

You blocks, you stones, you worse than senseless things! O you hard hearts, you cruel men of Rome, Knew you not Pompey?

runpoochrun
runpoochrun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to IP address traceable if via Gmail? 2010-03-12 07:57:40 Reply

At 3/12/10 07:45 AM, sdleihssirhc wrote: Do you have an account from your ISP that has a static IP? Most residences don't, in which case (I think; I don't know the context) it wouldn't matter.

I guess it would be hard to accurately trace the user(s) of a dynamic IP, but regardless I would've thought that there would be no discrepancy between static and dynamic IPs in whether an IP address would be traceable via Gmail.

sdleihssirhc
sdleihssirhc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to IP address traceable if via Gmail? 2010-03-12 08:10:17 Reply

At 3/12/10 07:57 AM, runpoochrun wrote: I guess it would be hard to accurately trace the user(s) of a dynamic IP, but regardless I would've thought that there would be no discrepancy between static and dynamic IPs in whether an IP address would be traceable via Gmail.

That's just what I mean - Gmail wouldn't treat them any differently, so your IP address would show up. But (if this is true for you) it's not really "your" IP address, because you'd get a different one every time logged back into the internets.

So all they'd get would be the IP address you had been assigned at the time that you sent the e-mail. I think. I'm not at all an expert in this, and I may very well be wrong.

You blocks, you stones, you worse than senseless things! O you hard hearts, you cruel men of Rome, Knew you not Pompey?