00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Hunter and pet

1,027 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hunter and pet 2010-03-12 00:32:08

Recently finished this and since I'm not scouted or w/e it is on the art portal decided to post it here to get some exposure, maybe some comments / suggestions. Realize its not great and all, I'm still learning how to color properly and the background is bad, but meh. Enjoy if you can, flame on if you must, refrain from abuse if possible.

Hunter and pet

Response to Hunter and pet 2010-03-12 17:08:02

- The entire torso is way too thin.
- The knees are also terribly thin.
- The hands are different sizes.
- The tiger's forearm is a blob
- The background looks like a greenscreen effect aka there is no depth.
- The arrow he's cocking is nearly twice as long as the arrows in his quiver.

Response to Hunter and pet 2010-03-12 17:49:18

Since one review was done, I guess I had too...

The first thing to notice is the colors. One simply cannot miss those. They are vibrant and strong. This hurts and helps your picture all at the same time. The things that stand out the most is the tiger, the belt, the bottom edge of the breastplate and pieces of the pillar in the background. These extra bright areas do help get your work noticed, but at the same time can pull the viewers eye away from the action, inevitably harming it.

Perspective is the next thing on the list. Cutting off the character at the ankles is already a big no-no when it comes to composition, but it also makes it hard for one to see if the character is in perspective with the background. This also separates the background from the characters, giving a disconnected feel.

Proportions on the elf are way off. Let us start with the hands. The hand by the face is much too small and seems disproportioned compared to the hand holding the bow. This also leads the arms. The left arm is much too large while the right arm is much too small.
The torso is long and thin, not only looking frail, but unbecoming of a warrior. The shoulders need to be wider to add a sense of power. The hips and shoulders are the same size which is typically considered inaccurate for males, especially a more athletic, stronger male. The right calf is huge while the left dampers too much. This makes him unbalanced, and coupled with the pose that is leaning too far back, makes him feel as if he is going to topple over any second.
The characters face, looks somewhat alright, although I do hate those ears. I have always hated the WoW design for elves, but that is between me and Blizzard, and I do not judge your piece on Blizzards faults. They eyes are a little larger, even if they are squinted, upon a full open they would be huge. Perhaps if you brought in the ends and tapered them a little they would not be so big

The overall design of the armor is too complicated without enough texturing and value. A simpler version that you build up too would have been more suitable.
Check your gear size as well; the arrow quiver is too small, even for a short bow, and the sword is only a little longer than a short sword. If this is what you were going for, then great. The bow I am starting to like, but it seems to taper really bad at the odd end. The top half looks really good an I like it, it's just the end makes it seem unbalanced.
With this character I would like to have seen more "Adventuring" accessories, pouches, packs, perhaps a little dagger for mundane purposes, little stiff.

The tiger front paw looks like a wet noodle. It's limp and wavy looking like it lacks a bone.
There is a lot to fix in a piece like this, but at least you have taken one this far. That is an accomplishment of its own. I will look forward to another update from you in the future.

I will be posting this on your portal entry as well.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Hunter and pet 2010-03-12 19:36:24

Ty for the prelim input, a few points;
The whole skinny torso thing, i was referencing a wow ne male model while making this, and NE's have long skinny torsos, thats just how they look in game, i was also going for the frail skinny elf look since i tend to overmuscle my characters.
The dif hand/leg sizes; i was going for perspective by making one hand and one leg slightly bigger than the other since the are supposed to be closer to the viewers PoV, at that im pretty bad and i take it failed.
Tiger's noodle leg; yeah i overcolored that part and made it look like a blob, good critique and i will fix it later
The weapons are about the same size as on the model of my character i was referencing as well, they weren't very big, and the quiver came out bad cause that was an afterthough since the original drawing didnt have it.

TY for the comments all the same

Response to Hunter and pet 2010-03-12 20:05:40

I don't feel like reading kinsei's post because I don't care enough.
My main problem with this, isn't the perspective not really working, the noodle cat (I want one) but the THIGHS. Those thighs, are just beyond my comprehension. Legs just do NOT look like that in any way shape or form. For one, guys have crotches, I don't care if you wanna go there or not, but guys have crotches, epic camel toe going on there. The thighs themselves, are like sausages with the meat squeezed out on both ends.

On the point of using the NE character models, WoW night elves are the most unnaturally muscular looking things I've ever seen in a game.

Response to Hunter and pet 2010-03-13 02:16:36

Man, you guys are all perfectionists are you? Yeah some of the things that the other guys said was right, but I really like your coloring. Kinsei really went head on on commenting and saying the "inconsistencies" of your drawing. If I were you, I'll take their advice. I guess you should practice the way you draw. You should study anatomical structures and all those other stuff. Either way, I still liked your pic.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Hunter and pet 2010-03-13 08:13:41

Contrary to what others seem like they are saying in TL;DR walls of text, I don't regard this as bad. It's pretty well done, I can tell you put quite some effort and time into this.
As most minor issues have been pointed out already, I'll just say you've gone a little overboard with the contrast. I'm aware that many similar illustrations have a lot of it, though I'm not seeing seamless enough transitions between colour and contrast.

It's got potential and could be a lot better. Try to spend as much care and time on the background/scenery as you would the characters, make them compliment one another. I'd still say it's good work though.

-Got any more stuff?

No mate, no.

BBS Signature

Response to Hunter and pet 2010-03-13 08:42:15

1 sausage thighs; lmao, ok i can see that, again blame the ne models weird leg shape and my lack of skill, was going for leg plates covering tight leather look but ohh well something to inprove next time
2 wow camel toe; i wasnt sure how to make the shape in the crotch area so i went with the v shape
3 again my bad for referencing the wow models since they arent anatomically correct...then again anatomically correct applies to a human figure no? an elf would be an elf and thus doesn't need to exactly meet human anatomy, or would you dig on me for making a orc with hands that are too big / barrel chest/ ect not anatomically correct? I do acknowledge im lacking in the anatomy dept by leagues tho.
4 Coloring; this was my first time using this style of coloring since i always opt for more cartoony coloring (flatcolor /1 shadow color/ 1 highlight) yes practice is needed, and i realize it wasnt a very good job
5 as for "more stuff" yeah theres some in my art page i recently uploaded, they are about the same quality or worse since they are older, but its about par for what i can do. Honestly without formal education i dont expect to improve much since im already an ancient dude by ng standards
I included a pic of vega that started out as a doodle yesterday and came out ok that im still working on, have to redraw some parts of the line art ect, the flower i didnt do since that was done in a communal art site and i left in in there cause it kinda fits
Again ty for comments, appreciate much.

Hunter and pet

Response to Hunter and pet 2010-03-13 23:46:16

At 3/12/10 12:32 AM, Archangel-X wrote: Recently finished this and since I'm not scouted or w/e it is on the art portal decided to post it here to get some exposure,

I think its pretty neat, im not scouted myself wich i would have loved to scout ya but anyways keep up the good work

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Hunter and pet 2010-03-14 03:35:15

At 3/13/10 08:42 AM, Archangel-X wrote: 3 again my bad for referencing the wow models since they arent anatomically correct...then again anatomically correct applies to a human figure no? an elf would be an elf and thus doesn't need to exactly meet human anatomy, or would you dig on me for making a orc with hands that are too big / barrel chest/ ect not anatomically correct? I do acknowledge im lacking in the anatomy dept by leagues tho.

Don't do this, The forum will tear you apart, and some of us will set back and watch it happen. as for being Anatomically correct, yes typically this does refer to humans, but each "Race" such as elves, orcs, goblins, halflings, and so on have there own "Anatomically correct" and if we mention anatomy, we mostlikely mean the anatomy of the character's race that is drawn.

4 Coloring; this was my first time using this style of coloring since i always opt for more cartoony coloring (flatcolor /1 shadow color/ 1 highlight) yes practice is needed, and i realize it wasnt a very good job

don't feel too bad, their are a lot of artist who cannot color, even some professionals. it's all practice...

5 as for "more stuff" yeah theres some in my art page i recently uploaded, they are about the same quality or worse since they are older, but its about par for what i can do. Honestly without formal education i dont expect to improve much since im already an ancient dude by ng standards
I included a pic of vega that started out as a doodle yesterday and came out ok that im still working on, have to redraw some parts of the line art ect, the flower i didnt do since that was done in a communal art site and i left in in there cause it kinda fits
Again ty for comments, appreciate much.

you should post your other work up here. We do like to see art and we will critique it and try to help you out. We tend to give more critiques than the portal anyway.
As for skill, age has nothing to do with it, it's all practice and time, the more time you practice the better you get, we will try and help you in anyway we can.

As for training, very few of us have any sort of formal training, some only have high school art classes to go on, although most of them are barely even half way threw high school. so it's ok, every one can learn.

As for progression, I would like to see some WIPs you may be working on, the next piece you get in mind, come here post your thumbs and roughs, then your sketches, inks and on to color. we would love to see it, and it might be very helpful for you. Not all art has to be made in one sitting like many think. Feel free to take a couple of days to do a piece, and don't get discouraged, jut gotta press on

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature