New Topic Respond to this Topic
jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-12 07:02:01 Reply

At 4/2/04 01:19 AM, RotesStinktier wrote: I was just wondering if anyone here had heard of / is participating in The Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search?

Late reply, but I've ran that for about three years. Not running it at the moment though as I've not been bothered to install it on the new computer. Let's check my stats:

LL tests: 1.728 years, 7 done
Factoring: 2.179 years, 7 found

And quickly using my other computer has assigned itself a new factoring job. Shame that computer's never on and the assignment will expire.

Ooh, that factoring's still keeping me in the top 1000, a mild surprise.

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-12 07:06:45 Reply

At 4/11/04 11:40 PM, TheGrayFox wrote:
Hahaha, exactly... When my father was studying at a European University, if you were caught using a calculator you would honestly get beat and kicked out of class for a week. Crazy :)

I can't think of one occasion where I *needed* to use a calculator during my degree. It came in handy doing some annoying divisions in stats exams, but that's *statistics*, and even then it's just to save time.

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-12 23:55:59 Reply

At 4/11/04 10:04 PM, TheGrayFox wrote: You didn't find that funny because you're a gay ass math nerd. You're a "Cmon let's do calculus" on a Saturday party night kind of guy, sad.

Whats funny is that youre a dumbass who assumes that im a dork because im good at math. Listen up fag, normally I dont get into it over the net, but today im going to. I play hockey, I hang out at the bar, I fuck girls that make fun of you, and I smart. If you met me on the street and tried to say the bullshit that you do, you would get your fucking jaw busted up with a quickness. Dont be a dumbass and assume that smart people are all scrawny little pussies. Go to a major university like mine, find a frat party, and just try to pull this shit; youll get your sorry ass beat and thrown out within 15 minutes. You dont know, so dont act like you do.

BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-12 23:59:40 Reply

Also, you wont counter this argument by pointing out where I said "I" instead of "im." Sorry about the rant, but get real.

TheGrayFox
TheGrayFox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-13 01:28:13 Reply

Awww, is the nerd getting mad?? Why don't you throw a computer at me! What's that? You fuck girls over the internet... I'm not impressed. Break my jaw? Just because you play hockey, doesn't mean you're Mr. King Shit buddy now bend over and know your place.

What are you going to do now? Hunt me down with your keyboard and mouse? Whoa!!! I tremble in fear!! I r smarticus 2, jewboy.

A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-13 01:37:52 Reply

Who is lamer, the guy who posts in an internet math forum, or someone who tries to make fun of someone for posting in an internet math forum.

TheGrayFox
TheGrayFox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-13 01:42:18 Reply

At 4/13/04 01:37 AM, Dr_Arbitrary wrote: Who is lamer, the guy who posts in an internet math forum, or someone who tries to make fun of someone for posting in an internet math forum.

I never made fun of anyone, I came in with a math problem and this scum bag exploded like bacon n' cheese! Oh look at me... I fuck chicks and go to frat parties.... Right... In your dreams or on the computer nerd boy... This is direct at BWS, obviously.

BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-13 02:17:46 Reply

Go ahead and think what you want because it makes no difference.

A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-13 02:19:07 Reply

Well, your 'math problem' was obviously a stupid joke, It's been done before and really isn't funny. Then, you start trying to tease him for liking math. Really, what's your problem.

BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-14 01:39:08 Reply

I think that im going to have a few questions about something soon, and because this thread is slow as hell, ill post a heads up right now. I may need help with Greens Theorem and the reasoning behind it. I have tickets to watch the Red WIngs on Thursday and so im going to be missing class. So, any takers if I end up having questions??

TheGrayFox
TheGrayFox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-14 16:08:11 Reply

How did you get so good at Math? Did it just flow, or did you have to study?

A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-14 16:48:16 Reply

Well, honestly, I never really thought I was that talented at mathematics until my mother forced me to memorize the multiplication table. After I got past that little stumbling block, I really didn't have a hard time teaching myself math until about half way through high school.

Everything easier than calculus has 'flown' for me, I really just understand it innately I guess. Calculus, on the other hand, has been a big struggle. It just doesn't feel as natural, I like to blame my High School calculus teacher for that though.

BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-15 01:49:26 Reply

I was always pretty good at math, and it always made sense to me. My father is a CPA and my grandpa was an engineer, so I suppose that I get it from them. In high school I stopped taking math after two years because I didnt have to anymore; actually, I stopped alltogether and got expelled because I didnt give a fuck anymore. College is much different though, and so I kept taking math classes. Im waiting to hear back from the business school at UofM, and so im going to either get my undergraduate degree in business or math. Thats my little story.

So, Greens Theorem. Anyone? C'mon.

eastbayxhardcore
eastbayxhardcore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-15 18:15:14 Reply

At 4/12/04 12:44 AM, Dr_Arbitrary wrote: stuff

They have something like that, it's called Virtual High School. It's for students who can't fit into an already offered class, or if they have an interest in something the school cannot teach. They take the course during a study, online. It sounds rather interesting.

BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-17 04:19:54 Reply

Umm, yeah. So, I think that im going to need some help with Greens Theorem.
C'mon, somebody has to know this.

A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-17 05:20:05 Reply

I don't know that i can offer much help with that theorem. I did awfully in calculus.

isthatlegal
isthatlegal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-17 06:46:30 Reply

how about this then...sum simple Mechanics for yall:

A Particle of mass 2.5Kg falls vertically under gravity against a resistance to motion of 5v newtons, where v ms^-1 is the speed of the particle at time t seconds.

Take g = 10ms^-2

a) Express the acceleration of the particle in terms of v

b) Given that the speed approaches a constant value Vms^-1, find V

there ...

Joic
Joic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-17 06:55:37 Reply

uhm... I need help with corner thingies and stuff ^.^;;

When the hell did I become level 10? I level whilst being completly inactive, that's how much I rock ! ^^

A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-19 15:14:28 Reply

I don't remember what a newton is in terms of M T and L

reiterpallasch
reiterpallasch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-19 15:35:32 Reply

hiya. i was wondering if anyone could reccomend if i took "decision maths" for a level. i think in america you call it risk analysis? its like stats but more about probability. i think.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-19 17:45:30 Reply

At 4/3/04 05:06 PM, Elfer wrote: I also wanted to tell everyone about the math competition I'm going to be in :)
blah blah blah
There's prizes too, which is cool. I got a book last year. Hoorah. Oh, and there's a medal to chuck in the shoebox too.

Competition was Thursday last week. The school teams won the grade 9 and 10 competitions :)

We got some sweet prizes, but no medals this year.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-19 17:48:49 Reply

At 4/11/04 10:46 PM, mr_trivia wrote: Here's a "new math" problem:
Jimmy has 6 crayons. 4 of them are broken.
Suzie has 8 crayons. 6 of them are broken.
Who should be sadder?

Jimmy, because he's too poor to afford more than 6 crayons, and will thus live an empty shell of a life compared to the wealthy Suzie.

A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-19 18:36:22 Reply

At 4/19/04 03:35 PM, reiterpallasch wrote: hiya. i was wondering if anyone could reccomend if i took "decision maths" for a level. i think in america you call it risk analysis? its like stats but more about probability. i think.

Look up actuarial science, it's the number 2 job in america, right under statistician. They get paid a shitload and do risk analysis.

BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-19 18:53:05 Reply

You wanna know whats fucked up? I taught myself Greens Theorem; I had to teach myself because I missed class. So, I taught myself...I actually understand this section (G.T.) better than the last two which I was in class for.
This chapter sucks because a lot of it is more application based, instead of theory based. It deals with Physics, and so im lost because I havent taken Physics classes in college outside of Astronomy. Im kind of lost, and its pissing me off to no end.

BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-21 12:05:04 Reply

Yes, two in a row, tough shit.

So, for some of you finals is this week. If any of you need help understanding a concept, feel free to ask. I would rather help you understand the reasoning behind the problem instead of the actual problem. Ask whatever, especially anything to do with calculus. Now if one of you fuckers could help me...

...wheres that one guy who got a BS in math? Hey man, where the fuck are you at?!

jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-21 15:42:49 Reply

At 4/21/04 12:05 PM, BWS wrote:
...wheres that one guy who got a BS in math? Hey man, where the fuck are you at?!

I've got one, but I can't remember anything about Green's Theorem, Stokes' Theorem or anything vector calculus-esque... fucking hated that module. Now if you were talking about topology I might have been able to help you :-)

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-21 16:44:39 Reply

At 3/31/04 05:37 PM, Dr_Arbitrary wrote: Here's a very difficult one:
The sum of a certain number of consecutive positve integers is 1000. What are these integers?

I'm not sure if there's a way to do this other than trial and error.

Don't think anyone's replied to this, so here goes, and I'm assuming the "certain number" is more than one - it's all to do with the factorisation of the number. Take one of the odd factors, and divide your number by it - in this example, you'd get 200 by 5. Then you'll get 5 consecutive numbers with 200 as the central value. Not a proof of how it works, but that's how to get them for non-prime numbers. For primes, simply halve the number and +/- a half.

You can't do it for powers of two (which I learned by trial and error when I was about nine), but I can't remember a proof why. I'll think about that for a bit but make no promises...

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-21 16:53:25 Reply

At 4/21/04 04:44 PM, jonthomson wrote:
You can't do it for powers of two (which I learned by trial and error when I was about nine), but I can't remember a proof why. I'll think about that for a bit but make no promises...

Thinking about it for two seconds yields a fairly easy proof which I hope works:

If 2^n was to have k (>1) consecutive integers that sum to make it [god that's worded horribly], k must be odd or even. If k is odd, then we've got a sequence p-h, ..., p-2, p-1, p, p+1, p+2, ..., p+h, where 2h+1 = k. But then we'd have pk=2^n, and as k is odd, that's obvious bullshit.

However, k can't be even as the sum of k successive even numbers is odd. Hence it can't be done for 2^n by contradiction.

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-21 21:04:11 Reply

jon,
Im doing Greens/Stokes/curl/divergence and all that bullshit now...I can do the problems, but my textbook and professor suck. I dont really understand the theory because my professor is cramming us with shit at the last minute, and my textbook is gay. Can you attempt to explain the connections between Conservative Fields and Independence of path. Also, what the fuck am I actually calculating with Greens/Stokes? the work done by the vector field, or what? Im pissed. Ill probably figure it out, but I have a ton of shit and not much time to dig through it.

jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Mathematics Club 2004-04-22 05:11:49 Reply

At 4/21/04 09:04 PM, BWS wrote: jon,
Im doing Greens/Stokes/curl/divergence and all that bullshit now...I can do the problems, but my textbook and professor suck. I dont really understand the theory because my professor is cramming us with shit at the last minute, and my textbook is gay. Can you attempt to explain the connections between Conservative Fields and Independence of path.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ConservativeField.html might help you a bit, as I say, I don't understand this stuff at all. The last exam I did on vector analysis finished two hours before the England-Denmark game at the 2002 World Cup... two hours, three goals and several pints later, all was forgotten :-(

Also, what the fuck am I actually calculating with Greens/Stokes? the work done by the vector field, or what? Im pissed. Ill probably figure it out, but I have a ton of shit and not much time to dig through it.

I don't really know. That site I linked to says stuff about it, but I'm forgetful. The sort of questions we were asked were things like "use Stokes' Theorem to show statement a implies statement b", things like that. I don't believe they're actually used to calculate anything explicitly, although they could be used to work stuff out I guess.

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature