New Topic Respond to this Topic
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-03 08:32:42 Reply

If you're the type of person who is TL;DR then I suggest you skip down to The Point of This Thread. However if you skip it all and just post then I give myself the right to call you an illiterate fucktard.

We've all seen this before people and the newest breeds have been Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Mario & Sonic at the Winter Games. Well besides one being a fighting game made by Capcom and the other being a party game these are both great concepts which leads me to today's little rant.

Video Game Crossovers

When it comes to one video game making a crossover with another it should be freaking awesome. The earliest video game crossover I remember was BattleToads and Double Dragon which is a kickass awesome game and then we get MARVEL vs. Capcom, okay cool, but only if you know who the MARVEL Characters are right? Well everybody knows who the X-Men and Spider-Man is so it wasn't a big problem on this side of the pond.

I soon saw that of Mortal Kombat vs. D.C. Universe. If you know my opinion on these boards you will know I fucking love Mortal Kombat, but when I heard of this the only thing that went through my mind was the empty sorrowness of my childhood lighting up with joy...

*ENTER CHILDHOOD*

Oh My Gosh! I can have Batman vs. Superman! This is super cool!

*EXIT CHILDHOOD*

Wait a minute? Is this some gimmick so Midway can sell another game? Are they attempting a fan service game which has gained money for MARVEL vs. Capcom 1+2, as well as Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Well yeah and you know what it was awesome, but nothing original. A great game to have in one's library and certainly something fun for the little kids...

Oh come on like parents wouldn't buy this for thier kids, they gave Halo to the little shits just to shut up their screaming... which is irony isn't it. They get them the game to shut them up screaming and what do they do all day? Scream at other people online.

You know what you should do? Let the little shits go play outside. Also if they just scream at people online then what does that really say about their parenting? Well as long as they aren't screaming around me then it's alright? Fuck No!

Sorry about getting off track there, but yeah... Mortal Kombat vs. D.C. Universe was certainly an interesting crossover and a creative one at that. It was strictly fan service.

Then comes along Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. What the fuck is this? We all know the Capcom characters and some newcomers were introduced, old friends we knew here in the U.S. however who were these Tatsunoko characters? What purpose did it serve? Should we care?

Well yeah we should actually. It basically took cartoon characters from an Animation studio and put them with video game characters, that's pretty awesome, but then again it was already done with MARVEL vs. Capcom, but just different cartoon characters. Not a very original idea, but still a cool game.

It is sad to see crossovers with no potential or no originality. I mean what's the point of doing a crossover when you're just tyring to make a better machine to print money with? Then I start hearing all these stupid ideas of "who should fight Capcom?" First off why does it always have to be someone fighting Capcom? That's just bullshit and stupid. We need something more original and I'll tell you what.

The Point of This Thread

Alright first off I'm going to get the 2D Fighting Crossovers out of the way first since those are the least original ideas. I will say though that instead of making it 2D fighting, level the fighting playing field to that of either the Power Stone games, River City Ransom, Double Dragon, or BattleToads, it's not much more original, but putting a fighting game into First-Person would be a terrible idea, Third-Person I'm still undecided on that...

Nintendo vs. SEGA
Why haven't Nintendo though of this yet? I don't care if you do have to give it an "M" for Mature Rating either. Give us either a 2D fighting game or put the fighting style in that of Double Dragon where you have more freedom to move about and fight, you could fit four players on there in an all out "brawl" or 2 vs. 2. Also you better put Jack Cayman from MadWorld and Bayonetta from Bayonetta in there since they are SEGA Characters. Also SEGA has the Virtua Fighter games if I'm not mistaken, so there you go. You want a game that would print money and be fun as hell to play this would be it. It's what we've been wanting since SEGA stopped making consoles and even before that!

Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter
This is another idea that hasn't been thought of yet. Now I can understand why Nintendo and SEGA had decided not to do a crossover for so long even though their first one was a disappointment, but this crossover was a no-brainer from the start, why didn't we get this? Someone tell me why we still don't have Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter, I want to know right now dammit.

Okay now that I got those two out of the way, it is clear that the fighting genre isn't the only genre you can work in. BattleToads & Double Dragon worked well, true it was a fighting game, but it was a 2-D beat'em up adventure game that I would say even trumps the story mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl (then again, just about anything trumps that).

We've seen that four player co-op games are certainly kicking ass, here I'll name a few. Borderlands, LittleBigPlanet, Castle Crashers, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. These four games are awesome and require working together to win. So why don't we have a game like that, but crossing games together.

Going back to Nintendo and SEGA again. Why don't we have Mario, Sonic, Luigi, and Tails working together in a four-player adventure mode? Wouldn't that be awesome? They'd have to take down both Robotnik and Bowser. Or better yet have two different stories like what Resident Evil 2 did with the A game and B game. You can decide whose part to play through, Mario's or Sonic's?

Think about it, both Bowser and Dr. Robotnik are working together and both have a device that could send the other to another world. Sonic is in Mario's world and think's Mario is helping Robotnik after hearing everything about him, have Bowser trick Sonic into joining the Koopa Troop, his first mission is to beat the shit out of the Toads and kidnap Princess Peach for him, the boss Sonic fights is Luigi.

Mario finds himself in Sonic's world, Tails tries to take Mario down, but fails. So Knuckles enters and fights Mario, he himself also loses to Mario's wrath. The cute animals that Robotnik usually kidnaps all try to kill Mario and Mario goes about kicking the shit out of them (yeah, fuck cuteness).

Robotnik shows Mario kidnapping Princess Peach and sends Mario out to kill Sonic the Hedgehog. They fight (no victor just cut to a cutscene with Princess Peach talking), then Princess Peach tells both of them the plans of Bowser and Robotnik and they must thus team up and take down Bowser and Robotnik.

I know it is just something I threw together, but it certainly sounds better than Mario and Sonic at the Olympics that's for sure.

The bottom line is that companies need to work together more and actually give us more than fan service. It's nice, but we also want a game as well. Of course my last idea some of you might hate and that would be Halo and Metroid.

Questions of the Day
1. What video game crossover would you like to see?
2. What video game crossover would you not like to see?
3. What video game crossover sounds stupid, but it might work?
4. God did you really read all of this?

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
RDSchley
RDSchley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-03 09:17:36 Reply

Wall-o-Text facestabs you for 450 damage.

You're respawn time is double!

But in all seriousness,

Its about making money. Your childhood means nothing to nobody.

It is ok to make fun of America. But if you make fun of any other country in a vague or joking way you get banned.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-03 09:24:35 Reply

At 3/3/10 09:17 AM, RDSchley wrote: But in all seriousness,
Its about making money. Your childhood means nothing to nobody.

It's all about fan service. Which if more thought was put into what the fans wanted then they would make a lot more money. So your point is?

BBS Signature
ghdude85
ghdude85
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-03 10:50:44 Reply

Questions of the Day

Guitar Hero and Rock Band. if not the games, the makers should. that way we get 1 kind of epic music game with loads of DLC

LEGO and Lord of the Rings... though it might happen... no one knows...

Pokemon Vs. Digimon? idk...

yes... i'm really bored...

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-03 13:01:23 Reply

FF vs FF vs FF vs FF vs FF vs FF vs FF vs FF
What a great game.

Video Game Crossovers

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-03 15:29:41 Reply

At 3/3/10 08:32 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
Questions of the Day

Something to do with Hudson, Namco, or Taito

Anything with Gears of War.

Soul Caliber with another fighting game.

Nope!

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-03 15:32:52 Reply

Final Fantasy + Disney

Oh wait..

Video Game Crossovers

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Game Developer
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-03 16:39:33 Reply

At 3/3/10 03:32 PM, Gagsy wrote: Final Fantasy + Disney

Oh wait..

But as a fighter, not a platform RPG.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-03 19:53:42 Reply

At 3/3/10 04:39 PM, Chdonga wrote:

Oh wait..
But as a fighter, not a platform RPG.

I could dig that. I'd love to have a Moogle kick the shit out of Donald Duck.

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-03 20:03:03 Reply

At 3/3/10 08:32 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Nintendo vs. SEGA

If this happened, Mario and Luigi would have to look like this, and it would be so much more awesome.

Minus perhaps the raccon ears and tail.

Video Game Crossovers

Aussie Club | TF2 Crew | TJPPC
Steam, Xfire: ParadoxVoid | Gamertag: TheFinalParadox

BBS Signature
Spunky6666
Spunky6666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-03 20:26:20 Reply

At 3/3/10 08:32 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day

1. A Mario and Sonic game. And I don't mean putting both characters in the olympics, or making Sonic a
cameo in Brawl. I mean all out action platformer. If they toned down Sonic's speed a bit, this could
work without sacraficing too much on either end.

2. Rayman and Banjo Kazooie, because that would be pointless.

3. Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe sounds stupid, but...oh, wait, it was.

4. Yeah, I actually did. Do I get a cookie?

Come reply to my Art Thread or I will forever hate you with a passion!

BBS Signature
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-03 21:40:55 Reply

At 3/3/10 08:32 AM, The-Great-One wrote: who were these Tatsunoko characters? What purpose did it serve? Should we care?

Tatsunoku vs. Capcom was a Japanese-only game. They were NOT planning on releasing it in the US until we demanded it. We got what we asked for, and we're lucky for that. I don't know any of the Mortal Kombat characters or where THEY came from, should I hate the series?

This is another idea that hasn't been thought of yet.

Yeah. Right.

Someone tell me why we still don't have Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter, I want to know right now dammit.

I'm sure after this huge post you can see it is very unoriginal and low on potential. Which, by the way, is what you don't like. Besides, Street Fighter characters don't bleed.

Going back to Nintendo and SEGA again. Why don't we have Mario, Sonic, Luigi, and Tails working together in a four-player adventure mode? Wouldn't that be awesome? They'd have to take down both Robotnik and Bowser. Or better yet have two different stories like what Resident Evil 2 did with the A game and B game. You can decide whose part to play through, Mario's or Sonic's?

This I like. With the two stories intervening with each other. As in, part of the same plot. And when ANY two characters from two worlds meet up by chance, should their first instinct be to fight each other? Somebody should ask Japan that one.

The bottom line is that companies need to work together more and actually give us more than fan service. It's nice, but we also want a game as well.

Totally agree, but I think the only real point made here is that crossovers shouldn't be limited to the Fighting genre.

Of course my last idea some of you might hate and that would be Halo and Metroid.

Honestly? I would dig it.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-05 16:07:26 Reply

At 3/3/10 09:40 PM, Gustavos wrote: I'm sure after this huge post you can see it is very unoriginal and low on potential. Which, by the way, is what you don't like. Besides, Street Fighter characters don't bleed.

I stated that I was going to get those out of the way since they have the least originality. Don't get me wrong if it's a fan service gimmick of a game I will pick it up. I really enjoy Mortal Kombat vs. D.C. Universe, but overall it wasn't my cup of tea. As for Street Fighter characters not bleeding, if they don't bleed, that's fine, if they do, no problem, Street Fighter comes from Capcom, the guys who made Resident Evil, so it's nothing too major.

Yes it's an unoriginal idea nowadays, but at the same time it isn't. Nobody has taken two fighting games and made them go against one another and during the 90's the ones that come off the top of my head were Killer Instinct, Moratl Kombat, Street Fighter, and Virtua Fighter. Yet we get MARVEL, Tatsunoko, and D.C. Universe. That's great, have cartoon characters fight fighting video game characters is great and all, but I want Ryu vs. Sub Zero.

Totally agree, but I think the only real point made here is that crossovers shouldn't be limited to the Fighting genre.

That's one point I was trying to get across yes.

Of course my last idea some of you might hate and that would be Halo and Metroid.

Really? Wow.

BBS Signature
Livin-Legend
Livin-Legend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-05 17:41:42 Reply

Why would you want Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter? I mean sure, both games were awesome, but why would we want another shitty MK game with dumb fatalities and no gore (MK vs. DC). The only way I'd ever consider getting a MK vs. SF game is if it is in 2D, plays like the original games (UMK 3 and SF 2 Turbo), and has a good character selection from both series. I'll look past the blood and fatalities if the game has all the features that I just stated but I hope they add at least a little blood and if they do add fatalities, don't fill it with a bunch of shitty fatalities that are lame and degrading to the MK series (I'm looking at you MK vs. DC).

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-05 18:03:20 Reply

Oh wait..

I openly confess I love playing this and the sequel.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-05 18:45:40 Reply

I have no idea.

Two Fighting games... Again.

LEGO Transformers?

No.

supperman2
supperman2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-05 19:35:38 Reply

At 3/3/10 08:32 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Nintendo vs. SEGA

This wouldn't work. Not that it wouldn't get made, but the only reason anybody would buy it is to see if there's a story between Mario and Sonic joining/fighting, or just to see the two fight which is already satisfied with Brawl.

I'm not sure if the legal issues between Warner Bros. and Capcom would work too well.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-06 07:38:26 Reply

At 3/5/10 07:35 PM, supperman2 wrote: This wouldn't work. Not that it wouldn't get made, but the only reason anybody would buy it is to see if there's a story between Mario and Sonic joining/fighting, or just to see the two fight which is already satisfied with Brawl.

You mean Nintendo vs. SEGA. Well if you don't use the same fighting style as put into Brawl then you could get something. However a crossover with Mario and Sonic in an adventure/platform game does have potential though, where is your stance on that and how would you do it?

I'm not sure if the legal issues between Warner Bros. and Capcom would work too well.

You're probably right on the legal issues, but it still begs the question as to why we haven't gotten it.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-06 13:26:02 Reply

Questions of the Day

Resident Evil Vs. Silent Hill?
Just think how awesome it would be to fight Nemisis as Pyramid Head or vice versa(with an option for COMPLETE BOLLOCKS controls)

Sonic & Crash Bandicoot
It might have worked 10 years ago but both have gone so far downhill that it would be bound to suck.

Viva Pinata & Gears of War?

Yes, Suprisingly.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Mig64
Mig64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-10 18:09:45 Reply

Street Fighter VS Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

Soul Calibur with Kingdom Hearts.

Any kind of franchise with Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. O_O

I dunno.

PikaRobo
PikaRobo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-10 18:10:35 Reply

But some of them are fun.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-10 18:22:04 Reply

At 3/10/10 06:10 PM, PikaRobo wrote: But some of them are fun.

Never said they weren't fun. Just it's all fighting games.

BBS Signature
sushi13
sushi13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-10 21:21:35 Reply

I've said it before and I'll probably say it again:
I'd cross Manhunt with Barbie Horse Adventures and The Godfather.
Cos who doesn't want to strangle Barbie with a plastic bag then snap her bitch neck? And chop the horses head off with a machete and put it in someone's bed.

Supermatx1
Supermatx1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-11 12:21:45 Reply

Oh wait..

Let's just hope they don't put Marvel into the blender.

SpiderTaco
SpiderTaco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Melancholy
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-11 13:06:11 Reply

I'd like a game with MW2's gameplay but with TF2's graphics style.

Team Warfare: Modern Fortress 2

PikaRobo
PikaRobo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-11 13:48:49 Reply

At 3/10/10 06:22 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 3/10/10 06:10 PM, PikaRobo wrote: But some of them are fun.
Never said they weren't fun. Just it's all fighting games.

What about Kingdom Hearts or Mario & Sonic?

BBS Signature
AtillaTheLion
AtillaTheLion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-12 00:11:21 Reply

Well since every obvious thing has been mentioned, I'm going to guess some things that might have not been used possibly. So here goes...

Guilty Gear X vs. BlazeBlue (Sure it would be like SSB for Arc studios or something, but who knows?)

Anything that would be a big crossover of various game companies only to be a puzzle game. (Seriously... that would be a such a tease, I'd rather try my luck getting a Mugen-like fighting game than that)

Ratchet & Clank with Banjo-Kazooie? (I don't know, would be an interesting idea as one of those Mario vs. Sonic parodies but not sure how that would work as a game.)

......... Why yes I did. ^v^

Just how exactly does "getting laid" solve any mental problems? Hmm? /:7

BBS Signature
SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-12 15:47:04 Reply

At 3/3/10 09:40 PM, Gustavos wrote:
At 3/3/10 08:32 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Someone tell me why we still don't have Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter, I want to know right now dammit.
I'm sure after this huge post you can see it is very unoriginal and low on potential. Which, by the way, is what you don't like. Besides, Street Fighter characters don't bleed.

There is some minor blood in SF. Plus, it wouldn't be hard for Capcom and the MK team to work together to make a 2.5D fighter with the characters and signature moves of both series. 6-button control scheme a la the Street Fighter series, but with all the special moves and characters of Mortal Kombat in the mix, and that would include incredibly bloody, gory, over-the-top Fatalities. Preferably something easy to pull off like in the original, though, not the overly long and complicated ones from 3 on that can hardly even be pulled off in the time given.

Noooooooooo. Fuck no. Get Metroid away from the first-person shooter. Metroid Prime was good, but doing something like that would provide too much temptation to go with the usual FPS control scheme, making the crossover a horrible Metroid game, and probably a horrible game even outside of previous series considerations.

Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter. If Capcom made it and had Ed Boon on as a creative consultant and supervisor, it would work, provided they decided to go old-school like when MK was awesome. Also, a full-out platformer with Mario and Sonic, either teaming up or with two separate paths through the same worlds like in Sonic and Knuckles. That would be fairly easy for Nintendo to do, if Sega were willing to hand over the license.

Someone mentioned Halo x Metroid. No. Just, no.

Mario x Zelda x Final Fantasy. I know, it would be tough to blend the styles of the epics with the style of Super Mario Bros, but if Kingdom Hearts is any indication, FF can go with anything and come out well. In fact, the integration might be easier if Kingdom Hearts is used instead of "pure" Final Fantasy, though that would make it tougher to use "dark" Twilight Princess-style Zelda. Solution: Ocarina of Time is infinitely adaptable, so dark Mario x relatively lighthearted Ocarina of Time x Kingdom Hearts would work. The only question is, is anyone at Nintendo on enough drugs to consider... Oh wait, their mascot runs through his adventures using mushrooms and plants to give himself the kinds of powers that druggies dream up while high. Miyamoto must be singlehandedly keeping Japan's drug trade in business, and management must know that Miyamoto's drug trips equal big bucks for the company. Well, uh, is anyone at Square-Enix on enough drugs to consider it?

No. I have too much of a headache.

vote5man
vote5man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-12 17:38:53 Reply

a cross over i might like to seeis bomber man vs megaman

sons of a bitces be nice and vote 5 or higher XD

BBS Signature
supperman2
supperman2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Crossovers 2010-03-12 18:12:27 Reply

At 3/12/10 03:47 PM, SoulMaster71 wrote: Someone mentioned Halo x Metroid. No. Just, no.

Your argument is that Halo is overrated. Who cares? It still has a very good story and is fairly similar to Metroid in terms of that. The Covenant could team up with Space Pirates and shit. You could switch stories between Samus and Master Chief for their gameplay elements respectively. It would work.

BBS Signature