New Topic Respond to this Topic
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 25th, 2010 @ 05:44 PM Reply

Today I wanted to draw something while I waited for AwesomSaurus reply so I went ahead and did our friendly neighbor Mario. I hope you like it. It's in a somewhat new style but I tried to keep as much from the original as I could while still adding my own twist to it, I hope you like it and remember I'm awful at hands so if you can please help me fix those hands.

Improving one of my pieces.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 26th, 2010 @ 07:26 AM Reply

At 4/25/10 05:44 PM, Mabelma wrote: help me fix those hands.

Hands are terrible; I know a lot of artists just make their own little shortcut and call it style; so thats one way to go.
I think you did quite okay on those hands though; they look believable; only minor inconsistency is that one fist has the thumb in and the other has the thumb out. Not a big problem; but I find it a bit odd.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 26th, 2010 @ 02:53 PM Reply

Hands are terrible;

This
but
then
This

I think you did quite okay on those hands though; they look believable

Could you tell me what you mean? Also what kind of shortcuts are you talking about?

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 26th, 2010 @ 03:04 PM Reply

At 4/26/10 02:53 PM, Mabelma wrote:
Hands are terrible;
This
but
then
This
I think you did quite okay on those hands though; they look believable
Could you tell me what you mean? Also what kind of shortcuts are you talking about?

I meant hands are difficult to draw; didnt mean that the hands in your drawing were terrible. as for the thumbs; on his lower fist; his thumb is folded underneath his other fingers; on his upper fist his thumb is folded over the other fingers. as for the shortcuts;disregard that... i dunno

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 26th, 2010 @ 03:24 PM Reply

Oh in that case, Hand are indeed terrible to draw, to see, to use but I'm trying to overcome my problems with them by doing some hands studies, I guess I'll have to work better. I'm going to buy some of that transparent paper so I can try the copy, study, use method and see if I can overcome this great stone.

What do you think of the overall character, do you like him?

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 26th, 2010 @ 08:00 PM Reply

I WANT YOU!!!

Do you want me?
Kashi ask told me to do a Goomba on StickAM and so I did.

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 26th, 2010 @ 09:11 PM Reply

At 4/26/10 08:00 PM, Mabelma wrote: I WANT YOU!!!
Do you want me?
Kashi ask told me to do a Goomba on StickAM and so I did.

oh, god, its awesome!!!!!
nice job, :'D im so proud

i want you too O.o
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 26th, 2010 @ 09:43 PM Reply

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the nice comments Kashi.

I want everyone on this forum

Good enough for the art portal? Any comments, critics?

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 26th, 2010 @ 09:55 PM Reply

At 4/26/10 09:43 PM, Mabelma wrote: Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the nice comments Kashi.
I want everyone on this forum
Good enough for the art portal? Any comments, critics?

welllll i think it might be able to use an arm, with it pointing
but, it IS a goomba, and they dont have arms....

decisions, decisions... :P
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 26th, 2010 @ 10:27 PM Reply

At 4/26/10 09:55 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: welllll i think it might be able to use an arm, with it pointing

It could be pointing with its foot.....

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 26th, 2010 @ 10:50 PM Reply

At 4/26/10 10:27 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 4/26/10 09:55 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: welllll i think it might be able to use an arm, with it pointing
It could be pointing with its foot.....

very true
but :O idea!
you should write on it "dedicated to ryan"
after all, our General Stickam NGer is going into the army in a couple of months

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 27th, 2010 @ 07:18 AM Reply

Pointing with his foot, how can I make that work? Na, I'll just make a hand for gim and have him pointing also whose this Ryan we are talking about? I could just write that on thr description wehn I submite it to the art portal.

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 27th, 2010 @ 01:28 PM Reply

At 4/27/10 07:18 AM, Mabelma wrote: Pointing with his foot, how can I make that work? Na, I'll just make a hand for gim and have him pointing also whose this Ryan we are talking about? I could just write that on thr description wehn I submite it to the art portal.

ummm.... welll
hes in.... the general NGroom on stickam....
his actual name..... ffffff idk..... lol :P
im so great arent i >.< lol when u come on stickam just check the gem room nd see if hes on o.o cuz i actually have no idea

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 27th, 2010 @ 02:38 PM Reply

At 3/30/10 03:08 PM, Ashman wrote: 1. never merge layers until your completely satisfied with it and youv completely finished

Never merge layers at all really, there's no point unless it's something that goes together, I.E. Line art merged with more lineart, ect.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 27th, 2010 @ 02:43 PM Reply

At 4/27/10 02:38 PM, M-Vero wrote:
At 3/30/10 03:08 PM, Ashman wrote: 1. never merge layers until your completely satisfied with it and youv completely finished
Never merge layers at all really, there's no point unless it's something that goes together, I.E. Line art merged with more lineart, ect.

I sometimes merge layers to keep an overview. I tend to use a lot of layers so I end up lost ; dont know what should go where and end up making even more layers;

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 27th, 2010 @ 03:22 PM Reply

Yeah I actually fix that problem and I'm actually not merging anything at all only the things you said but I don't usually do that because I tend to do all line art on one layer, flats on another and so on.

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 27th, 2010 @ 03:54 PM Reply

I tend to just make folders for everything, if I need a lot of separate layers for shading, shading folder, color folder etc etc.

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 27th, 2010 @ 05:02 PM Reply

At 4/27/10 03:54 PM, M-Vero wrote: I tend to just make folders for everything, if I need a lot of separate layers for shading, shading folder, color folder etc etc.

yup same here
i make a folder for each person/object and the background, and in each is a folder for lineart and colors
i keep all of my colors seperate (e.g. blue from black, yellow from orange, ect...)
i end up having like 30 layers, if its a really big picture, but usually its only 10-15
then, when you are COMPLETELYsatisfied with ur colors, you can combie that folder, but i hardly do that anyways, seeing as im almost never satisfied with my work
i never put 2 colors on the same layer, it ends up getting messy, and more work is to repair it, at least thats me....

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Apr. 27th, 2010 @ 05:03 PM Reply

Folders work really well but I only use them for large quantities of layers like on the Doubles

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. May. 5th, 2010 @ 03:23 PM Reply

Today is a great day for artist, not be cause I finally decided to bump but because it's that day of the month again, no it's not Saturday yet. It's the new holiday, Art Creation day. I my self have mark it on the calendar on the first Thursday of every month. This festivity is celebrate by making several pieces of art in any actual medium, all in one day. it can be from sketches, live drawings, speed painting to full on finished work but I today decided to celebrate it by posting my progress on a new project I'm working on with some friends.
Enough about the holiday, let's talk about the project.
This new project is a spanish animated comedy tittle "Pillo Locon" (don't worry it will have English subtitles) (it's not in English because I'm PuertoRican and among my friends I'm the only one who speaks English fluently)The story revolves around the crazy tales of a crazy, not so smart, lazy thief and his friends. It's all comedy and a little bit of action. We have 2 episodes written right now. The serie will be 1-3 minutes long and some of the episodes might be 4-7 minutes long. I'm the artist for the project and also the writter and well, the animator. I haven't done much animating for the actual show but so far I have done the splash screen animation that will be used before the animation. Below you will see a preview of what you will be seeing on this link

Link!!

1/3
More to come

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. May. 5th, 2010 @ 03:30 PM Reply

The festivities, keep getting better.
This post is all about a new character for the show, this here. Is Duque. Duque is a small, fat, over competitive kid who always wants to beat Pillo Locon at video games. He does not sleep and doesn't eat right because he's always training to be Pillo Locon but never actually wins. He appears in the second episode of the show when he plays Pillo Locon but gets up getting beat up. That's all that can be said about the character and the episode because I want to keep everything a surprise but be sure to give critic on his design and overall colors. Also, there are two versions of him because one is shaded and the other one isn't we have decided to go with the non-shaded one. Don't mind the guy on the left, that's an early version of Pillo Locon that won't be used.

2/3
Almost done

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. May. 5th, 2010 @ 03:34 PM Reply

We come to an end, but just for now.
I started making background sketches for the animation but I'm really new at the animation concept, when it comes to full length animations so I'm hoping you guy/gals could help me refine this background sketches by giving me tips and tricks on how to make them better and fit well with the rest of the animation. Would it be best if I apply blurs to it so it doesn't detract to much or would that make it unprofessional? Should I paint it with outlines to keep them real or just to with lineart? The are all small so you could see them all without having to scroll down and all of that.

Fin
Looking forward to all your comments!

Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Improving one of my pieces. May. 5th, 2010 @ 03:44 PM Reply

For background, I would use less saturated colors, make it look a bit more washed-out, and make the outlines not entirely black, but rather slightly grey.

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. May. 6th, 2010 @ 11:00 AM Reply

Thanks for the tips, so duller colors and a slightly gray outline, cool.

Anyone has any other tips or comments/critics on anything?

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. May. 20th, 2010 @ 06:25 PM Reply

Remember that animation thing? Well I scratched the idea and I'm not just doing a comic with the script my friends and I wrote. So far I only have this sketch of the first page of an episode. I hope you like what you see. I won't ask for much critics seeing as it's just a sketch right now but if you see anything that could be fixed at this stage go ahead and say it. Don't mind the text, it's just put there as a guide and well, it's in Spanish.

What I like to say to myself to hide my laziness or Benefits of it being a comic instead of an animation:
- Easier and Faster to do
- Much more freedom when it comes to translating
- I can sketch pages in, what, and hour
- Easier to help me start my own comics
-Platform for my future webcomics
- If I ever decide to actually make it into an animation I can use the pages as keyframes
- Might actually print it and propose it to a Spanish Publisher (might)
Some other excuses go here...

Without further ado, here is the sketchy sketch.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Jun. 5th, 2010 @ 05:09 PM Reply

Well yeah, another new project up and this time is LBP costumes.
This project consist of 3 stages for every costume;
- sketching
- digital inking/coloring
- modeling

This might just be my must ambitious project so far but it might just be worth it because at the end of this Little Big Project I will send Media Molecule all of the files and hope that they will one day integrate them into LBP or maybe LBP2.

Without further ado, I present to you the first costume on the Little Big List.
Iron Sack

Ps, about the comic on top of this well. The story is a little rough around the edges so instead of jumping on this and then having to fix everything mid way through I'll just get the story finished and then start on the comic itself.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Jun. 6th, 2010 @ 12:22 PM Reply

Progressing Progress

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Jun. 6th, 2010 @ 02:30 PM Reply

Updating the Updatable Update

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 04:34 PM Reply

I am being original, please post something about the art. Not the idea.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Improving one of my pieces. Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 04:38 PM Reply

At 6/7/10 04:34 PM, Mabelma wrote: I am being original, please post something about the art. Not the idea.

I think he's referring to the fact that you're using a Sock Boy template and just designing a character, that's also based off another character, Iron man.