00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DylansStuff just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

No photos?

684 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

No photos? 2010-02-17 04:37:49

Hei!

I would like to add my art, but it is based on photo, that then is retouched on photoshop. Why can't I do that? I think some of my works fit quite well along with some of the style shown here by illustrators, regardless the different technique...

Is it such a big deal?

I appreciate the NG community, and some of the artworks I see here are actually the kind of stuff I search for, more than anything, as an aesthetic matter, though contents might differ. But I just don't know how to draw, so I make a pic then then work it out on PS. And I would like to get my comments about the result, like anyone else!!!!

Pleaseeee :)

No photos?

Response to No photos? 2010-02-17 05:29:46

You shouldn't have said this was a photo. Because it looked like a real drawing to me. Well photos aren't allowed in the portal, I guess you'll just have to wait until they change that rule. Or just go to Devart.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to No photos? 2010-02-17 09:33:51

Yeah, deviantart should be fine.

I don't really know entirely how this site works... I read the rules and tried my best to comply, but I think I still got in trouble. I'm still not entirely sure how.

Anyway, I like this picture! It's pretty sweet.

Response to No photos? 2010-02-17 10:06:37

Thanks, maybe I try something later on and see if they can accept it. I will think about it...

Response to No photos? 2010-02-17 10:21:11

Response to No photos? 2010-02-17 10:27:33

this isnt traditional photography, its more image manipulation, which may be allowed as long as you took the pictures that were used, im just guessing so dont take my word for it, post it and hope for the best

Response to No photos? 2010-02-17 11:42:49

Interesting, I will try then.
And yes, I took the photo. This one is a self portrait, actually :)

Response to No photos? 2010-02-17 11:56:37

"I'm keen on keeping the focus on what people are drawing and making by hand." - Tom Fulp

They're trying to keep it a "flash" related site, keeping it all hand made art and not an average art site that allows everything, they want to keep that sense of flash that started the site to begin with. They don't hate photography, it's just something that won't really fit as well it would on other sites.

Response to No photos? 2010-02-17 12:22:49

At 2/17/10 11:56 AM, nathanielmilburn wrote: "I'm keen on keeping the focus on what people are drawing and making by hand." - Tom Fulp

They're trying to keep it a "flash" related site, keeping it all hand made art and not an average art site that allows everything, they want to keep that sense of flash that started the site to begin with. They don't hate photography, it's just something that won't really fit as well it would on other sites.

I understand and respect, but there again flash and pixel art are not hand made works in the same sense as the drawings and paintings which we find a lot here.

Many 3D animation use bitmap textures, which is made by photos. See TmsT's "Spy & Pyro" for instance, it's a great job!

Saddam Hussein and other characters on South Park, done on Flash, is made with a photo of the real Saddam Hussein. That's a classic.

My work is, on last instance, a photoshop creation, a digital work made by hand with hours on the mouse. Everything else is just the technique to reach the result.

Response to No photos? 2010-02-17 12:32:31

You can posts as much of this kind of stuff in your own thread in the art forum. Or the photography thread.

If you took the photographs and did more than just add some extra things with filters and effects in photoshop then they can be submitted to the portal. As of now that picture you posted does NOT qualify for the art portal.

Think of it this way, you can use photographs if there is a large element of drawing to it, not just photo-manipulation.

Response to No photos? 2010-02-17 16:50:48

Ok, that sounds clear. I might then have to challenge myself if I want to be in the portal :)