New Topic Respond to this Topic
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Berklee questions. 2010-02-16 17:37:26 Reply

I was looking at the Berklee site, looking for a lot of answers I needed. But I still have a couple questions it could not answer. This all pertains to music education.

1. Berklee College of Music is NOT Berkeley, Berkeley is a totally different college in a totally different location, correct?
2. Where is Berklee located?
3. How much of a necessity is it to know how to play an instrument?

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-16 17:46:27 Reply

1. Berklee College of Music is NOT Berkeley, Berkeley is a totally different college in a totally different location, correct?

Nope, unrelated as far as I know

Boston, MA

Pretty well. You'll have to audition to get accepted, and you'll end up taking mandatory lessons for your instruments the first two semesters regardless your major.

Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-16 18:09:00 Reply

Okay, so the two colleges are totally unrelated. Good.

Now, I was looking at what they would test you on. It said that they would test you on your ability to do things like:
-Transpose a part of a song
-Play a blues style song
-Test your skills in arpeggios, scales, etc

Basically, see how much they can push your limit of ability. Do they basically want you to be able to do everything and anything, as if you played since you were a wee child?

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-16 18:11:08 Reply

At 2/16/10 06:09 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: Okay, so the two colleges are totally unrelated. Good.

Now, I was looking at what they would test you on. It said that they would test you on your ability to do things like:
-Play a blues style song

Basically, see how much they can push your limit of ability. Do they basically want you to be able to do everything and anything, as if you played since you were a wee child?

I believe it's more to test how much you know. THey don't expect most people to do everything they say perfectly.

DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-16 18:28:07 Reply

At 2/16/10 05:46 PM, SineRider wrote: 1. Berklee College of Music is NOT Berkeley, Berkeley is a totally different college in a totally different location, correct?

Nope, unrelated as far as I know

Boston, MA

Pretty well. You'll have to audition to get accepted, and you'll end up taking mandatory lessons for your instruments the first two semesters regardless your major.

This. It also largely depends on what degree you're looking for. A BA/BM in something such as film scoring or sound design won't have the same performance requirements as a BA/BM performance. Knowing what degree you're going for is pretty important :)

BBS Signature
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-16 19:40:15 Reply

This. It also largely depends on what degree you're looking for. A BA/BM in something such as film scoring or sound design won't have the same performance requirements as a BA/BM performance. Knowing what degree you're going for is pretty important :)

I don't know what BA or BM is (associates/masters? Whats the B then?). I want to go for music production and engineering. Masters preferably. If that isn't available, the next option is Electronic Production and Design. Otherwise, it's nothing else.

DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-16 21:39:28 Reply

BA = Bachelor of Arts, BM = Bachelor of Music. A BM is typically more focused in the music part of the degree, wheras a BA is a more broad study in liberal arts. BM is usually a bit more difficult to get since there are more music-related requirements. I started out as a BM in performance at my school, but now I'm getting two BA degrees instead, one is a BA in music performance and one is a BA in theory. Doing two BM's would have been extremely difficult, but the two BA's allows me to shift focus back and forth from performance and theory without consequence.

It really boils down to a preference thing above all else. With any music degree, it's more important what you get out of it than what your diploma says. This is especially true if you're going on to grad school!

Anyway, being a sound engineer doesn't have a whole lot of performance involved in it, but it would be very beneficial to your degree and your application if you were proficient in one or more instruments. You can record and mix instruments a lot better if you can play and understand them!

BBS Signature
Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-16 22:55:24 Reply

At 2/16/10 06:09 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: Okay, so the two colleges are totally unrelated. Good.

-Play a blues style song

Yeah, the site says alot of things. I didn't have to do nearly as much as it said on the website.
During the audition they had me;
*Sight read
*Play my song
*Improvise a little (something I did for my song)
*Listen and play back what I heard (Ear training thing)
*And an interview.

The way it was set up was I went to a studio down in Hollywood and had my audition. They gave me about 15 minutes of practice in one room. They moved me to the playing portion of the audition next which had a ton of instruments. After doing the above I moved on to the interview where they asked me the standard question. "Why I want to go here." " what I offer" etc.

I did the early application, my family knows someone (er well met someone) who works for Berklee so he said it was a better chance to get in. I had my audition around December and they got to me by the end of January.

Yeah I got in.

I'm still waiting for other college letters to check out my options. Berklee isn't cheap and right now I have no idea if my family can afford. I'll be visiting Boston to check it out sometime soon.

Pretty much covers how it went other then my own personal nervousness and mess ups during the audition. They were nice people and the school seems legit. I can only hope to go.

KgZ
KgZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-17 01:40:23 Reply

At 2/16/10 10:55 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: Yeah, the site says alot of things. I didn't have to do nearly as much as it said on the website.
During the audition they had me;
*Sight read
*Play my song
*Improvise a little (something I did for my song)
*Listen and play back what I heard (Ear training thing)
*And an interview.

The way it was set up was I went to a studio down in Hollywood and had my audition. They gave me about 15 minutes of practice in one room. They moved me to the playing portion of the audition next which had a ton of instruments. After doing the above I moved on to the interview where they asked me the standard question. "Why I want to go here." " what I offer" etc.

I did the early application, my family knows someone (er well met someone) who works for Berklee so he said it was a better chance to get in. I had my audition around December and they got to me by the end of January.

Yeah the procedure of my audition went almost exactly the same way. When going for the interview, be prepared to get asked many questions about why you are a perfect fit for Berklee, they focus on making sure you'll fit in their certain mold.

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

iHeartQuistis
iHeartQuistis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-20 20:36:08 Reply

Damn, this is educational.

Sight-reading, though? I guess I need to work on that. I'm too used to tab - b/c it's about 10x simpler, making it an easier 'universal' language for communicating w/ guitarists. Unfortunately, that doesn't really translate over too well for standard sheet music.

BBS Signature
GronmonSE
GronmonSE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-20 22:53:50 Reply

At 2/20/10 08:36 PM, iHeartQuistis wrote: Damn, this is educational.

Sight-reading, though? I guess I need to work on that. I'm too used to tab - b/c it's about 10x simpler, making it an easier 'universal' language for communicating w/ guitarists. Unfortunately, that doesn't really translate over too well for standard sheet music.

From what I've heard, the sight-reading portion is just to gauge how much you know, which in turn is used to place you in the correct level of music theory. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

iHeartQuistis
iHeartQuistis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-21 04:43:51 Reply

At 2/20/10 10:53 PM, GronmonSE wrote: From what I've heard, the sight-reading portion is just to gauge how much you know, which in turn is used to place you in the correct level of music theory. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, okay. Hm. I can sight-read guitar tab just fine... just as long as it's at a tempo I can handle reading. Reading sheet music is a different story, though.

I think I'm going to look up some sites or something to help me translate what the chords A-F... and their minors/dim/etc. look like.

BBS Signature
KgZ
KgZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-21 09:53:36 Reply

At 2/20/10 10:53 PM, GronmonSE wrote:

From what I've heard, the sight-reading portion is just to gauge how much you know, which in turn is used to place you in the correct level of music theory. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The school has changed over the last few years, and it's much harder to get in now than it was 3 years ago. (2006 acceptance rate = 70%, 2009 acceptance rate = 30%)

GronmonSE
GronmonSE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-21 14:00:44 Reply

At 2/21/10 09:53 AM, KgZ wrote:
At 2/20/10 10:53 PM, GronmonSE wrote:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The school has changed over the last few years, and it's much harder to get in now than it was 3 years ago. (2006 acceptance rate = 70%, 2009 acceptance rate = 30%)

I can't argue against statistics, but I don't think people who feel strongly about what they do should feel discouraged. Maybe I'm delusional and naive in thinking that I can rely more on my music portfolio than on my actual guitar playing skills.

KgZ
KgZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-21 14:06:02 Reply

At 2/21/10 02:00 PM, GronmonSE wrote: I can't argue against statistics, but I don't think people who feel strongly about what they do should feel discouraged. Maybe I'm delusional and naive in thinking that I can rely more on my music portfolio than on my actual guitar playing skills.

Well I never said don't try, but I think it's important to understand either way that berklee is a pretty serious and competitive school, and if you get in you're probably one of the top tier musicians in the US.

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-21 17:08:06 Reply

You used to be able to do video auditions too :( wish I was that much older.

iHeartQuistis
iHeartQuistis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-21 18:11:22 Reply

At 2/21/10 02:06 PM, KgZ wrote:

:bif you get in you're probably one of the top tier musicians in the US.
Meh. Just b/c somebody goes to Berklee doesn't make them an amazing musician. Granted, you do have to have some impressive skills - but considering Arsis (death metal band), James Malone and Mike Van Dyne are not that good compared to their former guitarist Ryan Knight. Knight actually left due to reasons that hampered his musical potential.

Compare Arsis' "Berklee graduate abilities" to other bands that sink them in the water like Necrophagist... or dare I compare any of their leads to Ryan Knight's work with Black Dahlia Murder. I'm not trying to attack your comments, but being a Berklee graduate just equates to credentials - doesn't make you any better than artists who didn't go to college, or perhaps didn't even graduate high school in some cases :P.

BBS Signature
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-21 18:18:54 Reply

It doesn't matter whether the rate of acceptance is 30% or 70%, I want to go there regardless.

KgZ
KgZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-21 18:40:11 Reply

At 2/21/10 06:11 PM, iHeartQuistis wrote:
At 2/21/10 02:06 PM, KgZ wrote: bif you get in you're probably one of the top tier musicians in the US.
Meh. Just b/c somebody goes to Berklee doesn't make them an amazing musician. Granted, you do have to have some impressive skills - but considering Arsis (death metal band), James Malone and Mike Van Dyne are not that good compared to their former guitarist Ryan Knight. Knight actually left due to reasons that hampered his musical potential.

Compare Arsis' "Berklee graduate abilities" to other bands that sink them in the water like Necrophagist... or dare I compare any of their leads to Ryan Knight's work with Black Dahlia Murder. I'm not trying to attack your comments, but being a Berklee graduate just equates to credentials - doesn't make you any better than artists who didn't go to college, or perhaps didn't even graduate high school in some cases :P.

Yeah I figured someone would comment this, but the point I was trying to make was that you're still a very talented musician. Obviously Berklee isn't for everyone, and not everyone fits in that mold. And granted, not everyone who attends berklee will automatically be successful. But I think out of any school in the US (with the exception of probably Juiliard), the most abundance of talented musicians are located at Berklee.

Tysuru
Tysuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-21 23:08:01 Reply

I actually have my audition this week there.

It's a strange set up for auditioning.

Be sure you know how to play your instrument. Although, it seems thy look for people with a more "informal" talent. They still are pretty prestigious in the music sense.

RyeGuyHead
RyeGuyHead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Programmer
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-02-22 14:30:35 Reply

Good luck and congratulations to all who are going for this degree! :D

just you wait

Gian
Gian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-11-01 21:58:23 Reply

I'm currently a student at Berklee College of Music, you can PM me with anything you need bud.

Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Berklee questions. 2010-11-02 01:59:32 Reply

Thanks for the notice, but this thread is way too old to be bumping. I just made a new one a couple days ago about berklee, you shoulda posted there.