00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DashXero just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Chinese Dragon

1,128 Views | 24 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 06:43:30

Hey , just finished sketching out my Chinese Dragon , gonna work on some background maybe and then start colouring it. Tips and ideas for colour schemes , patterns are very welcome :)

(sorry about clarity of photo , no camera at the minuite so im just using iSight_

Chinese Dragon

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 07:06:18

Need some direction , i've been reading online and i cant seem to find much information regarding traditional colour themes or palettes for chinese dragons. Can anyone help?

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 07:59:39

i dont like the line work

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 10:28:51

At 2/16/10 07:59 AM, ThePeanutShark wrote: i dont like the line work

About as helpful as a dead ferret there...

I think your not being bold enough with your line work, it's too shaky. Be a bit braver and take risks.

An eraser is not your enemy, it is your friend...

Housecoat Neck Juts...

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 10:40:26

At 2/16/10 06:43 AM, WaterShake wrote: Hey , just finished sketching out my Chinese Dragon , gonna work on some background maybe and then start colouring it. Tips and ideas for colour schemes , patterns are very welcome :)

(sorry about clarity of photo , no camera at the minuite so im just using iSight_

i suppose you took the lines from a statue? if not, it's very nice, but the body have to be done absolutely
it doesn't look realistic, but you can come up with a pretty cool rappresentation here

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 10:49:45

At 2/16/10 07:59 AM, ThePeanutShark wrote: i dont like the line work

Its not gonna stay like this , I'm gonna colour it and maybe add some more to the picture. But i'm not sure what patterns and colour were traditionally used to colour the dragons, can any one help?

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 10:58:33

I'd say something like this would be a good reference for the patterns, though I don't think you'll find much of a definite color, there's all kinds.
Either way why noot choose your own colors, be a rebel
REBEL!

rise against the machine and whatnot

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 11:00:22

At 2/16/10 10:58 AM, M-Vero wrote: I'd say something like this would be a good reference for the patterns, though I don't think you'll find much of a definite color, there's all kinds.
Either way why noot choose your own colors, be a rebel
REBEL!
rise against the machine and whatnot

I was sort of wanting to try and do something nice and traditional for the Chinese New Year.

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 12:20:17

Started going over sketch. :D

Chinese Dragon

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 12:23:46

At 2/16/10 12:20 PM, WaterShake wrote: Started going over sketch. :D

the eye and behind and around it looks good, the only problem i can see is the mouth, it just looks off to me, but then again its chinese art so what do i know :)

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 12:29:20

At 2/16/10 12:23 PM, ashman112 wrote:
At 2/16/10 12:20 PM, WaterShake wrote: Started going over sketch. :D
the eye and behind and around it looks good, the only problem i can see is the mouth, it just looks off to me, but then again its chinese art so what do i know :)

Yeah i'm not sure what i'm gonna do about the mouth , think i'm gonna have some clouds coming out it.

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 12:31:05

Red, yellow, bit of green and blue, but before i color anything i make shore i like it, you could make your dragon more bad ass, or humble, right now he looks without any feeling.

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 12:36:04

At 2/16/10 12:31 PM, KamikazePanda wrote: Red, yellow, bit of green and blue, but before i color anything i make shore i like it, you could make your dragon more bad ass, or humble, right now he looks without any feeling.

I'm trying to go for a sort of angry-ish type feel , it might be more obvious after i finish going over it again.

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 12:48:53

Update.

Chinese Dragon

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 13:49:05

Update: (almost done blocking out)

Chinese Dragon

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 15:43:08

At 2/16/10 12:29 PM, WaterShake wrote: Yeah i'm not sure what i'm gonna do about the mouth , think i'm gonna have some clouds coming out it.

Make it puke out a rainbow of all sorts of patterns and colors, to make it look cool and epic.

This text is in bold, which makes me aweso and your statement irrelevant.

ArtThread. Deviant. NGcar. SnowmansLand

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 16:13:33

A rainbow is a cool idea, if you want him to be mad you should reallytry to make his eyebrow muscle more low and crunched, while the pupil is smaller, pupils tend to shrink for anger, thats just a method i can think of and is something i might do, will you be painting it? color pencils? Good luck! You proably dont have to update as much as you are, unless it was a different process like clay or something, thatd be more interesting, have fun!

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 16:15:50

Soooooo.....is this a post for people to show off their chinese dragon or for u to show off ur chinese dragon?

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 16:34:32

At 2/16/10 04:15 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Soooooo.....is this a post for people to show off their chinese dragon or for u to show off ur chinese dragon?

Reading much?

This text is in bold, which makes me aweso and your statement irrelevant.

ArtThread. Deviant. NGcar. SnowmansLand

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 17:48:30

nice

Would love to see a more quality shot of it aswell as a colored version, either way very welldone keep up the good work

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 23:38:02

At 2/16/10 04:15 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Soooooo.....is this a post for people to show off their chinese dragon or for u to show off ur chinese dragon?

Umm yeah you can post yours i guess , the posts called Chinese Dragon cause its a drawing of a Chinese Dragon.

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-16 23:43:16

The rainbow idea does sound quite sweet , might sketch some stuff out. Someone was asking if I was going to paint it? no i'm gonna either use pens or colour pencil.

Yeah I realize the updates are a bit obsessive, apologies, next update'll be when I've finished blocking it out.

Thanks for all the feedback so far :)

P.S, D'you think if this turns out well and I can somehow get a clean picture of it from my camera, it would be decent enough to post in the Art portal?

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-17 01:00:19

Yea definately, your allowed to take pics of your art for the portal, go for it!

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-17 16:54:25

Ok i've finished blocking it in now and i'm not sure where i'm gonna take it from here.

Thinking about adding a body ( has anyone got any good reference pics or ideas)
Also now considering keeping it in black and white.
Still considering the rainbow idea mentioned previously as well

FInally has anyone got any tips on taking a photo to submit it into the portal, whats the best way to get a clear shot, i'm using the iSIght on my macbook right now for these shots.

Thanks, feedback and thoughts will be much appreciated :D

Chinese Dragon

BBS Signature

Response to Chinese Dragon 2010-02-18 11:21:30

I think its finished now?

Chinese Dragon

BBS Signature