New Topic Respond to this Topic
gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Repo Men 2010-02-14 18:45:30 Reply

Have you seen the fucking trailer for this movie!!!! What uncreative shit! This is just Repo! the Genetic Opera without the fucking music! I hope this movie does awful because it was a fucking stolen idea and obviously the director has no creativity.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
marios-best-pal
marios-best-pal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-02-14 18:46:44 Reply

I swear I read that as "Rape Men"

I absolutely hate my username. MBP would be preferred, K?
Sig in GIMP.

BBS Signature
ronk
ronk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Repo Men 2010-02-14 18:48:30 Reply

At 2/14/10 06:46 PM, marios-best-pal wrote: I swear I read that as "Rape Men"

we all did

JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to Repo Men 2010-02-14 18:49:23 Reply

so why are you complaining to us about it? write a letter to whomever is making the movie and tell them about it...

|"My dick was in the Guinness Boom of World Records... Then I left the library.|

BBS Signature
gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-02-14 18:54:11 Reply

The reason I tell you guys is because of opinions. Watch Repo! the Genetic Opera then tell me what you think.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
Poonmonkey1
Poonmonkey1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-02-14 18:55:13 Reply

Sorry, I dont really give a shit about opera or repo men

TheAwesomeOSaurus
TheAwesomeOSaurus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-23 23:14:59 Reply

Oh my god you are so fucking right I love that fucking movie and me and my friends are boycotting the new stupid fucking movie! Piece of fucking shit.......

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-23 23:23:41 Reply

As I mentioned in this thread, the movie is actually based on the novel The Repossession Mambo by Eric Garcia. Look at the credits.

GreenLanturn
GreenLanturn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-24 01:40:10 Reply

At 3/23/10 11:23 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: As I mentioned in this thread, the movie is actually based on the novel The Repossession Mambo by Eric Garcia. Look at the credits.

And in my opinion was so much better than Repo! The Genetic Opera. Good premise and I saw Repo!: Opera right when it came out, but failed in the follow through. I mean even for a musical...to me.

Heard they're doing a sequel hopefully it'll be better. I mean I know musicals can be sorta cheesy and corny regardless but it actually seemed over the top at times and I just thought it could have at least been or tried to be more serious with the material...even in song. I don't know...just was disappointed.

But actually Repo Men caught me off guard and I enjoyed it a lot and I too thought it was gonna just be recycling the idea into an action film. But I thought the movie actually held more merit and foundation for the whole premise of "repo men" than Repo!: Opera.

I'm not conceited...I'm convinced.
Also, I like to use ellipses.......a lot...
Xbox Live: GreenLanternDSC

BBS Signature
NewgroundsNation
NewgroundsNation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-24 01:43:16 Reply

At 2/14/10 06:45 PM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote: Have you seen the fucking trailer for this movie!!!! What uncreative shit! This is just Repo! the Genetic Opera without the fucking music! I hope this movie does awful because it was a fucking stolen idea and obviously the director has no creativity.

Someone already made a thread, but I am too lazy to link you.

[I'm back (I hope)] [Sig made by Spartan204]

BBS Signature
GreenLanturn
GreenLanturn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-24 01:55:33 Reply

At 3/24/10 01:48 AM, The777Demon wrote: this thread was made over a month ago. This movie also did got a lot of bad ratings, so i guess his hopes came true.

Yeah...but I think critics are a complete waste of time when it comes to movies. They analyze things to much which for most movies the overall purpose is a plot and entertainment. They'll nail a movie because the director chose a certain camera angle for the plot device and the lighting didn't match the music and dialogue given the circumstances....who the fuck cares? Camera was on guys face while he was talking....he delivered the lines in a believable manner expressions and all....success.

I hate critics...yet everyone is one.

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-24 03:08:55 Reply

At 3/24/10 01:55 AM, GreenLanturn wrote:
At 3/24/10 01:48 AM, The777Demon wrote: this thread was made over a month ago. This movie also did got a lot of bad ratings, so i guess his hopes came true.
Yeah...but I think critics are a complete waste of time when it comes to movies. They analyze things to much which for most movies the overall purpose is a plot and entertainment. They'll nail a movie because the director chose a certain camera angle for the plot device and the lighting didn't match the music and dialogue given the circumstances....who the fuck cares? Camera was on guys face while he was talking....he delivered the lines in a believable manner expressions and all....success.

I hate critics...yet everyone is one.

There's actually been studies for films in 2007 and 2003 that prove ones that are praised generally make more money than ones that aren't. I don't know which critics dwell on camera angles and lighting, unless they're used in a bad way, like the constant tilted angles in Battlefield Earth. Camera and lighting are crucial, nevertheless, when it comes to filming. They might go over your head when you watch a film, but if they're used badly, you'll notice them.

The critics on the show At the Movies do talk about entertainment, storytelling, etc. You might disagree with their opinions on a film, but they disagree with each other, too, sometimes. I really like Rotten Tomatoes (and IMDb) because I get a sense of what people generally feel on a film, so I can spend my time and money wisely. There almost wasn't a bad or mediocre film I saw in theatres, last year.

TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-24 03:11:28 Reply

Movie was horrible, he was on the job when the accident happen so he should have been insured. Its too unrealistic for my taste, because everyone knows what on the job insurance is. His new heart should be free... I didn't really spoil any part of the movie other then the fact this movie was horrible, and should be burned and should not get a bluray release because its that bad.

I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

iamgrimreaper
iamgrimreaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Programmer
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-24 03:24:51 Reply

At 2/14/10 06:55 PM, Poonmonkey1 wrote: Sorry, I dont really give a shit about opera or raping men

Me neither.

BBS Signature
GreenLanturn
GreenLanturn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-25 01:54:52 Reply

At 3/24/10 03:08 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: There's actually been studies for films in 2007 and 2003 that prove ones that are praised generally make more money than ones that aren't. I don't know which critics dwell on camera angles and lighting, unless they're used in a bad way, like the constant tilted angles in Battlefield Earth. Camera and lighting are crucial, nevertheless, when it comes to filming. They might go over your head when you watch a film, but if they're used badly, you'll notice them.

No I get that but I mean (and I don't know maybe it's me) but critics will take something overboard ro completely out of perspective. For some of these things I can even understand when it's something based off a book or there is some underlying or blatant moral, lesson, etc. However, when it's just some out the blue concept or movie that gets through simply for the purpose of entertainment and a story they still dissect as if it HAS to be some deep sentimental or visually beautiful in every aspect piece of art.

Shoot'em Up. Completely over the top movie. I didn't even like it however I can separate it from some film with depth and accept it's a bang bang movie, special effects, and killing. Action show me something cool basically movie tied together with some type of story period. Now read they're reviews. They'll go one about how droll it is or it's lacking in whatever.

I'm like...geniuses I'm pretty sure they weren't by any means expecting to get an oscar out of it. They simply picked actors to bring the characters to life, wanted to visuals that stood out, and was hoping to bring in some $$$ at the box office.

But critics always take it to another level. My friend said it perfect the other day "I just wanna watch some brain dead tv" Sometimes people aren't trying to think, get a moral, etc...they just wanna see some shit. I don't even like it and had I reviewed it I would have said "Not my cup of tea, but there is plenty of killing and some nice shoot outs for fans of action movies." Done. I think they have to rate or review a movie off what it's worth and going for but for the most part (and again could be me) I've only seen them go on like the same rating system like everything has to be some visual spectacle or deep drama.

The critics on the show At the Movies do talk about entertainment, storytelling, etc. You might disagree with their opinions on a film, but they disagree with each other, too, sometimes. I really like Rotten Tomatoes (and IMDb) because I get a sense of what people generally feel on a film, so I can spend my time and money wisely. There almost wasn't a bad or mediocre film I saw in theatres, last year.

I'm starting to have that kind of year. :-)

BBS Signature
AlexanderThe9th
AlexanderThe9th
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-25 02:03:45 Reply

Holy fuck that's what I thought it said LOL

Everybody who is attending the Alaska 2010 Meet-Up please post in that topic and let me know if you'll be attending this monumental event! This is NG history in the making!

HogWashSoup
HogWashSoup
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-25 06:20:17 Reply

Repo! The genetic opera has Paris Hilton in it
Repo men doesnt

It is safe to say that repo men wins by default, as having paris hilton in your movie disqualifies you from being good.

this is the users orange and officer. lovers till the end
If you see I have bad grammar, ignor it because I dont give a fuck

BBS Signature
SouthAsian
SouthAsian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-25 10:52:24 Reply

At 2/14/10 06:48 PM, ronk wrote:
we all did

ROFL.Me too. :D

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-25 12:21:01 Reply

At 3/25/10 01:54 AM, GreenLanturn wrote:
At 3/24/10 03:08 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: There's actually been studies for films in 2007 and 2003 that prove ones that are praised generally make more money than ones that aren't. I don't know which critics dwell on camera angles and lighting, unless they're used in a bad way, like the constant tilted angles in Battlefield Earth. Camera and lighting are crucial, nevertheless, when it comes to filming. They might go over your head when you watch a film, but if they're used badly, you'll notice them.
No I get that but I mean (and I don't know maybe it's me) but critics will take something overboard ro completely out of perspective. For some of these things I can even understand when it's something based off a book or there is some underlying or blatant moral, lesson, etc. However, when it's just some out the blue concept or movie that gets through simply for the purpose of entertainment and a story they still dissect as if it HAS to be some deep sentimental or visually beautiful in every aspect piece of art.

Shoot'em Up. Completely over the top movie. I didn't even like it however I can separate it from some film with depth and accept it's a bang bang movie, special effects, and killing. Action show me something cool basically movie tied together with some type of story period. Now read they're reviews. They'll go one about how droll it is or it's lacking in whatever.

I'm like...geniuses I'm pretty sure they weren't by any means expecting to get an oscar out of it. They simply picked actors to bring the characters to life, wanted to visuals that stood out, and was hoping to bring in some $$$ at the box office.

But critics always take it to another level. My friend said it perfect the other day "I just wanna watch some brain dead tv" Sometimes people aren't trying to think, get a moral, etc...they just wanna see some shit. I don't even like it and had I reviewed it I would have said "Not my cup of tea, but there is plenty of killing and some nice shoot outs for fans of action movies." Done. I think they have to rate or review a movie off what it's worth and going for but for the most part (and again could be me) I've only seen them go on like the same rating system like everything has to be some visual spectacle or deep drama.

Shoot 'Em Up actually got mostly good reviews. Now, I can't speak for the critics who didn't like it, but I'd like you to point out which ones expected Oscar material and deep drama. Richard Roeper just didn't find it entertaining and funny. He said after awhile he got it and wanted something more. As you can see, the other critic on the show disagreed with him. Here's what two other critics had to say about art vs. entertainment while responding to hate mail:

"For mainstream movies: 'Don't you ever just go to the movies for fun, you heartless ass!?' Paradoxical corollary for art movies: 'You aren't supposed to enjoy this movie! You're just supposed to think about it! It's life-changing!'

CN: Sure we do, I just find it hard to have fun in the presence of cheeseball mediocrity like Goldmember. You see, jokes have to be funny or else we can't laugh. A fat suit and a couple of sex jokes just don't cut it.

JK: It's too bad most films have a limited idea of what 'fun' is. I mean, 'Wow, when the kid kicked that fat guy in the balls, that sure was fun!' Give me a break. Yes, not every movie has to be a grand philosophical achievement. But what folks need to remember is it takes a brain to be entertained! You're actively involved when you laugh. The idea that you have to shut your mind off to have fun is a popular, and stupid, fallacy. I had boatloads of fun with the creative, really audacious vulgarity of Blazing Saddles and Kingpin.

CN: As for the other side, some readers confuse a director's desire to make a life-changing movie with his ability to do so. Just because a movie aspires to be profound doesn't make it so. I humbly suggest that your closeness to subjects like the plight of the Kurds (A Time for Drunken Horses) and the Armenian holocaust (Ararat) might be coloring your opinion of the quality of the films."

GreenLanturn
GreenLanturn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-25 17:30:22 Reply

At 3/25/10 12:21 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Shoot 'Em Up actually got mostly good reviews. Now, I can't speak for the critics who didn't like it, but I'd like you to point out which ones expected Oscar material and deep drama. Richard Roeper just didn't find it entertaining and funny. He said after awhile he got it and wanted something more. As you can see, the other critic on the show disagreed with him. Here's what two other critics had to say about art vs. entertainment while responding to hate mail:

"For mainstream movies: 'Don't you ever just go to the movies for fun, you heartless ass!?' Paradoxical corollary for art movies: 'You aren't supposed to enjoy this movie! You're just supposed to think about it! It's life-changing!'

CN: Sure we do, I just find it hard to have fun in the presence of cheeseball mediocrity like Goldmember. You see, jokes have to be funny or else we can't laugh. A fat suit and a couple of sex jokes just don't cut it.

JK: It's too bad most films have a limited idea of what 'fun' is. I mean, 'Wow, when the kid kicked that fat guy in the balls, that sure was fun!' Give me a break. Yes, not every movie has to be a grand philosophical achievement. But what folks need to remember is it takes a brain to be entertained! You're actively involved when you laugh. The idea that you have to shut your mind off to have fun is a popular, and stupid, fallacy. I had boatloads of fun with the creative, really audacious vulgarity of Blazing Saddles and Kingpin.

CN: As for the other side, some readers confuse a director's desire to make a life-changing movie with his ability to do so. Just because a movie aspires to be profound doesn't make it so. I humbly suggest that your closeness to subjects like the plight of the Kurds (A Time for Drunken Horses) and the Armenian holocaust (Ararat) might be coloring your opinion of the quality of the films."

I can actually agree with both sides and see where they're coming from. And I don't wanna sound like I'm trying to play the fence so what I'll say is I agree with the non chalant attitude towards "I just wanna watch something" but I recognize that there is a science to being "funny" or "entertaining." But even in those regards it's gonna boil down to what each individual finds "funny" or "entertaining." I would like to say I'm not easily amused by fart jokes or getting kicked in the balls and at the same time someone may present it in a way I haven't seen or set up the punchline in a manner that appeals to me.

So, I can't really say what I do or do not find entertaining to be honest or fair, but just as everyone does I do have a sense of humor or entertainment that is my own and fits me. I think what the critics sometimes forget is that aspect. But then that would be a whole different discussion getting into "why is something funny or entertaining" rather than it being. Just like my man said, a desire to be something doesn't mean it is....but on the other hand that's not to say it isn't either. It's like that saying "things could be worse..." One side of the coin, if things could be worse than that is to say unknowingly or unintentionally they could be better as well.

Funny just like he said in Repo Men, if one is possible than both are possible.

And as far as critics again, not all but most I've viewed and I should have specified that the majority I see are in my local paper in the "Life" section reviewing what you should see and avoid for the weekend so on and so forth. And dissing anything that'll probably make profit seems to be the trend while hailing and praising any indie or drama that is put on a big screen.

BBS Signature
Jinx-Studios
Jinx-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-25 17:31:43 Reply

At 2/14/10 06:48 PM, ronk wrote:
we all did

I read it as, "rope men".

Take a second to wrap your faces around that.

Don't be STOOPID!

BBS Signature
Jinx-Studios
Jinx-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-25 17:35:40 Reply

Technically, the writer has no creativity, since he/she was the one who came up with the ideas for what would happen in the movie.

Lastly, I haven't seen Repo!, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't about people in the future buying fake organs and repo men having to preform crude surgery to take the organs back and leave them to die.

And it's just a fucking movie. It's also like three weeks old, and I heard it didn't do so good.
Calm down. Take a deep breath. Masturbate.

Don't be STOOPID!

BBS Signature
GreenLanturn
GreenLanturn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-25 17:41:47 Reply

At 3/25/10 05:35 PM, Jinx-Studios wrote: Lastly, I haven't seen Repo!, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't about people in the future buying fake organs and repo men having to preform crude surgery to take the organs back and leave them to die.

Lol...that is exactly what it is about. The author is right in that sense they premise is the exact same for both. People have organs from a certain company that are taken back when they are not able to fulfill their payments. The material is presented different and different plots and of course one is a musical the other more a action/drama or whatever you'd call it. But yes they do have the same premise.

BBS Signature
Homfrog
Homfrog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-25 18:07:36 Reply

My head hurts from all this talk, but I think I get the gist of this movie you guys are discussing.

(Scene: Night-time, dark room, single overhead spotlight)

(ENT. Allstate insurance man with black mask on)

MAN: If you don't pay your exorcist, you get repossessed.

(flashing scary images of dead, malformed, and undead peoples in Mafia suits with machine guns, accompanied by the voiceover for REPO MEN and also some deep dark cello music)

VOICE-OVER: Repo Men, coming to theaters near you March 32.

Alec-D
Alec-D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Repo Men 2010-03-25 18:12:48 Reply

whatever looks cool to me