New Topic Respond to this Topic
Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-11 19:01:31 Reply

I've noticed that electro and fidget house have started becoming more and more popular, and I don't know if I really like that, as they seem to keep abusing one synth sound all the time. Plus the use of ridiculously simple melodies over and over isn't really too interesting to me. I guess it does appeal to the general public though, otherwise it wouldn't be getting popular...
Then again, I always go by "Generally, people are retarded" - which of course doesn't take away the factor of personal preference.

Minimal indeed seems to be growing more popular too. I used to find it a bit "funny" at first, that genre, because it's so... minimal... so little in a song. But I've learnt to appreciate the art of it. On top of that, my classmate along with his buddy turn out to be signed artists in the genre (Amtek & E-Freak)

Trance: it sure looks like this is growing more commercial. Lately I've been into this one track (Gaia - Tuvan). I played it when my niece was around (she usually listens to the typical stuff that plays on the radio and on music channels on tv), and she actually recognized it, as it was played on the regular radio. So that means that the music I though no-one really knew is actually growing in popularity.
I just hope this doesn't mean the quality will degrade. And even then, there'll still be quality stuff out there to find.

Dubstep grows in popularity too, but I'm not sure if it will ever reach the "regular" radio stations. It might develop into something fuller than it is now, so who knows.

As computer technology develops, more music production techniques become available, allowing electronic music to grow more complex and different. We haven't quite heard the last effects yet. I'm curious what the future will bring.

Melodies: As I mentioned earlier, it's popular, these almost 'silly melodies'. I don't know if that means complex melodies are dying, it seems like it's just in a certain set of genres. Personally, I've started studying some music theory online, simply so I could write better, more complex melodies and chord progressions. I think those still play and important role in writing emotionally loaded music.

In popular music, the focus is more catchyness though, I don't think the general public listens to the radio to be emotionally moved by music. It's all more for the "ooh yeah" feeling. It needs to give kicks.

Psytrance/goa: I certainly hope it doesn't die, but I do hope it stays underground. Money often seems to kill creativity, and lack of creativity in that genre would kill the music completely.

At 2/11/10 06:25 PM, Reaper93 wrote: Also love the recent integration of piano into a lot of trance pieces

Actually, piano has been around in trance since the beginning as far as I know. (Think Robert Miles - Children), but I guess you mean producers start do do it more often nowadays. I like that too.

orchestral and electronic getting together under the guidance of professional composers produces huge results in my opinion and I hope to see more of it.

^ This. It's amazing what they can do with software/hardware synths, but mixing up just that and good ol' acoustic instruments results in quite a bit of win in my opinion. I like guitar in trance on that note.
Orchestral dance is rather awesome too. And those people playing it are having a great time, as you can see.

Holy shit that was a long post.
Fierra
Fierra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-11 19:06:35 Reply

Mich eats ass.

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-11 19:09:30 Reply

At 2/11/10 06:11 PM, jarrydn wrote: Rhythm is primal. Rhythm was the ONLY element when humans first started exploring music. Rhythm and timing is what makes or breaks a musician that plays a physical instrument.

People always tell me this and I always get to tell them that all they've succeeded in doing is proving that music is now evolving backwards, reverting back to primitive rhythms and banging drums because the general public is now too stupid to comprehend anything other then YO BITCH LOOK AT MAH BOAT.

I find it equally amazing that you proceed to defend the point that rhythms are somehow more complex then melodies, when this is simply not true. There are approximately 20 or so main "beats" that are then cut up, layered, and offset to produce essentially every single drumbeat heard in music that is still appealing. There are about that many 4 or 8 bar chord progressions as well, that then have millions of possible melodies to put to them. I've put something like 150 or so unique melodies on that one stupid chord progression I always end up horribly abusing. How can you possibly defend that there are more possible rhythms then melodies? Just because mainstream trance has horrible melodies doesn't allow you to say that all melodies are horrible, just like I can't say that just because trance has the most pathetic drum progression ever means that all rhythm is pointless.

I don't honestly think melody is only thing that's important. That's stupid. No part of a song is the only thing that's important, the entire reason music is appealing is because its a whole lot of different things all coming together to form something unique, and if you try to rip out one of the pillars the whole thing comes crashing down. You also can't weaken a pillar so much that even when you reinforce the other pillars, the whole thing becomes so unbalanced it topples over anyway. Throwing away melody as "useless" is just as stupid as me calling all rhythm as "useless." You need both.

That said, rhythms can't pluck your emotions like a melody can. They can raise your "primal feelings," and if that's what you want, go for it, but you can't reach a listener's emotions with a bunch of drums. Again, just because something has been around forever doesn't mean its automatically superior somehow.

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-11 21:10:35 Reply

At 2/11/10 07:09 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: I find it equally amazing that you proceed to defend the point that rhythms are somehow more complex then melodies, when this is simply not true. There are approximately 20 or so main "beats" that are then cut up, layered, and offset to produce essentially every single drumbeat heard in music that is still appealing. There are about that many 4 or 8 bar chord progressions as well, that then have millions of possible melodies to put to them.

Throwing away melody as "useless" is just as stupid as me calling all rhythm as "useless." You need both.

I agree both are needed, though I personally think drum rhythms and melodies are both pretty endless in possibility. You did state that only some are likable, and I'd be so bold as to say thats a fault of the listener, not the beat itself. :P

They can raise your "primal feelings," and if that's what you want, go for it, but you can't reach a listener's emotions with a bunch of drums.

I don't think the intent of emotion evoking is particularly relevant to structuring music.

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-11 21:53:08 Reply

Mich, I honestly hope you really don't like Yanni

Reaper93
Reaper93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-11 21:53:20 Reply

@ Mich - I did mean that they were incorporating it more, not that they've only just started. I've recently pieces from the last year or two have it a lot and have some of the most beautiful sounds to them, so I hope they keep up the trend.

Reaper93
Reaper93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-11 21:55:27 Reply

At 2/11/10 09:53 PM, Reaper93 wrote: @ Mich - I did mean that they were incorporating it more, not that they've only just started. I've recently pieces from the last year or two have it a lot and have some of the most beautiful sounds to them, so I hope they keep up the trend.

Also, in regards to Tuvan by "Gaia", that is a covername for Armin Van Buuren. It stands to reason that if ANY trance in the world is known to the public it is his - he was rated number 1 DJ for I think two or more years running now, has his own radio show, podcast, and his tracks are immensely popular.

djInTheDark
djInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-11 22:14:38 Reply

In conjunction with Mich and Observer...

As far as electronic genres go, there hasn't been very much fluctuation compared to say the big genres like Rock and Rap and so forth. I personally enjoy almost all of the electronic genres for listening, but can only effectively produce and DJ in a few. The branching of that for me pretty much goes: (Genre) production > (Genre) distribution > (Genre) DJ'ing. That said, the collateral of my movement through that system generates the proper "feeling" of anything I write, play, or mix. So then whatever I write, then becomes whatever I mix. In turn the audience is then directly in effect of me and my music, as is the music and me are on them. It looks something like this;

Audience - Provides negative or positive response to what is played. > Is effected by what is played.
Music - Sanctioned and controlled by DJ. > Is the median for negative or positive response.
DJ - Provides music and median for audience to abide. > Responds to negative or positive response.

As you can see all parts of the equation are connected. This means that if the genre that is not wanted, it will have a negative response to the music, but not because the music is bad or of poor quality. But enough about me, on to business...

The most potent genres currently (from 2005 to the Present) I think include: Hard Style or Hard Trance, Dubstep, Professional Style Dance, Tech or Minimal or Electro House, Traditional House, other types of Trance, Amateur Style Dance and Techno, Detroit Style(s), Classic Techno. In order of potency and is DEPENDING ON AGE GROUP OF LISTENING AUDIENCE.

While I won't talk about how each of these has changed in there own way, I will discuss what the crowd is responding to.

Through studying groups of people at clubs, private parties, and other events I have found that the overall "request" of the current party-going and listening audience is looking for the following:

Intricate rhythms at a speed similar to Rap/Hip-Hop
Minimum Repetition
Contrast between Phrases and Tracks (while still sounding good)
Lyrics and vocal effects (such as Jump Notes or Minimal/Techy FX)
Good Phrasing from Hard to Soft for breaks and rests
Simple, easy to understand overall ideas and song angles
Instant Gratification
...and a lot more from there.

Hehe... instant gratification... ;)

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.
Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature
jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-11 22:18:53 Reply

Djinthedark, I like your analysis :)

audio / bbs troubles? drop me a PM

BBS Signature
djInTheDark
djInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-11 22:25:16 Reply

At 2/11/10 10:18 PM, jarrydn wrote: Djinthedark, I like your analysis :)

Why, cuz I put Dubstep as the second most important? Nah jk I know thats not what you meant. Thanks though, it took me a while with my sketchy typing skillz...

Ok, where's the "P"... hm... I can never find it... grr... where is that thing... Ah, Found it! Ok, where's that "Q"...

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.
Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature
amaterasu
amaterasu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-11 23:32:19 Reply

At 2/11/10 07:09 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: That said, rhythms can't pluck your emotions like a melody can. They can raise your "primal feelings," and if that's what you want, go for it, but you can't reach a listener's emotions with a bunch of drums. Again, just because something has been around forever doesn't mean its automatically superior somehow.

You seem to be forgetting that rhythm does not apply just to percussion.

In any way at all.

beep

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-12 03:50:26 Reply

At 2/11/10 11:32 PM, amaterasu wrote:
At 2/11/10 07:09 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: That said, rhythms can't pluck your emotions like a melody can. They can raise your "primal feelings," and if that's what you want, go for it, but you can't reach a listener's emotions with a bunch of drums. Again, just because something has been around forever doesn't mean its automatically superior somehow.
You seem to be forgetting that rhythm does not apply just to percussion.

In any way at all.

In the way that I was responding to jarrydn, and the way he was referring to it, yes it does. Obviously rhythm itself applies to melodies too, but we were talking more about percussion-based things.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-12 04:03:41 Reply

At 2/12/10 03:50 AM, Blackhole12 wrote: In the way that I was responding to jarrydn, and the way he was referring to it, yes it does. Obviously rhythm itself applies to melodies too, but we were talking more about percussion-based things.

You might be, but as I said before, the rhythmic and percussive elements to a melody are what I find most endearing.

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-12 05:41:23 Reply

At 2/11/10 09:53 PM, SineRider wrote: Mich, I honestly hope you really don't like Yanni

I actually do, sorry. I think he's a very good composer, and he works with a load of very talented musicians.

At 2/11/10 09:53 PM, Reaper93 wrote: @ Mich - I did mean that they were incorporating it more, not that they've only just started. I've recently pieces from the last year or two have it a lot and have some of the most beautiful sounds to them, so I hope they keep up the trend.

Myeah, they're probably rediscovering now that they've explored a new era of synthesizing possibilities. Back to the core, lol.

Also, in regards to Tuvan by "Gaia", that is a covername for Armin Van Buuren. It stands to reason that if ANY trance in the world is known to the public it is his - he was rated number 1 DJ for I think two or more years running now, has his own radio show, podcast, and his tracks are immensely popular.

Yeah I realized that one. I guess I just forgot how big AvB actually comes through in the main music scene. I still have a picture of all RnB, hip-hop and minimal electro-like tracks being the only music that makes it to tv, lol. Then again I barely ever watch a music channel for longer than 5 minutes.

Mushroomhead18nc
Mushroomhead18nc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-12 06:15:54 Reply

shitty ass pop songs from brittney spears.. thats where our electronic music is goin.. down the shitter

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-12 09:22:36 Reply

At 2/12/10 04:03 AM, jarrydn wrote:
At 2/12/10 03:50 AM, Blackhole12 wrote: In the way that I was responding to jarrydn, and the way he was referring to it, yes it does. Obviously rhythm itself applies to melodies too, but we were talking more about percussion-based things.
You might be, but as I said before, the rhythmic and percussive elements to a melody are what I find most endearing.

bu how much would you enjoythat music jarrydn if you weren't on some sort of altering substance.

To me it seems genres are growing more to cater to people who alter their mindset to acheive a heightened sense of.. something or other.. in which case if they were just listening to it normalyl it might not be all that great.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-12 09:47:51 Reply

At 2/12/10 09:22 AM, Chronamut wrote: bu how much would you enjoythat music jarrydn if you weren't on some sort of altering substance.

To me it seems genres are growing more to cater to people who alter their mindset to acheive a heightened sense of.. something or other.. in which case if they were just listening to it normalyl it might not be all that great.

Any music you like will sound roughly 100 times better when you're in an altered, excitable state of consciousness. It's scientifically proven or something.

Anyway, I enjoy my favorite genres enough to listen to them when I'm sober. I'll go out clubbing sober and have a wicked dancey time. I just value music that makes me feel like moving and dancing, as opposed to music that "stirs my emotions". There are very few tunes that I connect with emotionally, and I prefer to keep it that way. I listen to music for fun :]

Catchy tunes excite me the most. And I find the catchiest tunes to be the ones that are either devoid of a discernable melody, or the melody is incredibly stripped back. That's why fidget appeals to me quite a lot. And I suppose as a synth enthusiast, I find the technical aspect behind how the microsamples and effects are constructed, and could really care less about what notes some dude drew into a sequencer.

BBS Signature
sirsicklick
sirsicklick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-12 10:37:50 Reply

At 2/12/10 06:15 AM, Mushroomhead18nc wrote: shitty ass pop songs from brittney spears.. thats where our electronic music is goin.. down the shitter

P-P-P-POKER FACE P-P-P-POKER FACE. MA MA MA MA
P-P-P-POKER FACE P-P-P-POKER FACE. MA MA MA MA
*epic synth plays*
*singing continues*

Oh wait thats Lady Gaga right?

Well, whatever, their all the same.

Youtube MySpace Facebook Guitarist, audio engineer, programmer, songwriter and voice actor. Need any of those? Message me. I enjoy collabing! <3

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-12 11:15:35 Reply

see jarrydn I am the reverse - to me it's the FEEL of the song that I listen to - the emotions it stirs in me - I like songs that paint a picturei n my head - which is one reason I love ambiant music so much (sbb's music is a good example" and music liek that - and also music with vocals and melodies that stir feelings in my mind - I think in the end it's all in what you yourself want to listen to that counts.

DJHomeless
DJHomeless
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-12 11:54:47 Reply

At 2/11/10 06:25 PM, Reaper93 wrote: Also love the recent integration of piano into a lot of trance pieces - orchestral and electronic getting together under the guidance of professional composers produces huge results in my opinion and I hope to see more of it.

I am totally in agreement with you. After all, the meaning of trance is some sort of a dream, leaving the realistic world. You can NEVER make your listener "go to his own world" with some kicks, snares and claps. Melodies, pads, chords, piano riffs, those are the things that actually make you feel as if your in a trance.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-12 11:56:52 Reply

synteza was the only person on this site that made that sort of trance imo.

Alchemist94
Alchemist94
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-12 12:10:31 Reply

At 2/11/10 02:09 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: Melodies are the most important part of a song in my opinion.

Fixed.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-12 18:58:19 Reply

At 2/12/10 11:15 AM, Chronamut wrote: I think in the end it's all in what you yourself want to listen to that counts.

Agreed, one hundred percent.

That's not to say that there aren't tunes out there that evoked a strong emotional reaction in me. A couple of squarepusher tracks and a track that The Dillinger Escape Plan did with Mike Patton almost had me in tears.

BBS Signature
Reaper93
Reaper93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-12 19:41:05 Reply

At 2/12/10 11:56 AM, Chronamut wrote: synteza was the only person on this site that made that sort of trance imo.

Loved his tracks, miss the guy (he's still on my fav artist list I think...)

Still listen to some of them from time to time.

statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-13 13:47:21 Reply

Drum and Bass. You can make that shit poppy, and it doesnt suck. No other genre does that.

Darren-M
Darren-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Future of electronic music? 2010-02-13 17:10:08 Reply

AMBIENT!!!!!

no....

uh! DAMN this is making my lower lip pout because i love psytrance so much! if psytrance could come back integrated with electro i would flip my shit but honestly i dont know if its gonna happen.

i think electro is where the rhythm in electronic music is at and i hope it stays around but i often think about where things are gonna go.... i mean i feel like we have squeezed out just about all we can when modulating and modifying frequencies comes into thought, i mean how many more things can we do to a single tone! but still more styles have yet to be pioneered.....FOLK TRANCE had better not see the light of day...whatever the hell it might sound like.

i feel like my future kids need to be doused in psytrance