New Topic Respond to this Topic
IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Sep. 24th, 2011 @ 08:24 PM Reply

- thanks for the feedback. anyone else any thoughts. If we don't get a significant voice of opinion here, we go on as before.

Where should we draw the line?

Who's the Comet Crew or Dragon and Spirits? I guess if little to no one has heard of a crew then why bother mentioning it right?

Well thats the idea, but how do we decide if people have heard of a crew? If, say Narcissy made a Page for the Soups today, should we delete it? - by the criteria we have now Soups would be deleted as they are less than a year old, but the Lucky Stars could have a Page even though there is nothing actually Notable about them- they are around 4 years old. they have more movies than the DS and one or two movies over 3/5. nobody pays them any attention and most people consider all their movies more or less spam, but rules are rules unless we rewrite them.

If nobody works with Notability- don't complain if you don't get the Pages you want.

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Sep. 25th, 2011 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At 9/24/11 08:24 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: If nobody works with Notability- don't complain if you don't get the Pages you want.

I guess what makes a flash crew notable depends on how long they've been here and what word is spoken of them. When it comes to adding people based on notability, I believe that those who work on their craft or leave an impact on the site are those who are notable and this could be through either fame or infamy.

Take Ocarina-Kid for example. He is a nobody, one of his songs was on the front of the Audio Portal's Top 5, but I did an interview with him. Why? Because his music is truly wonderful and he dedicates himself to his craft.

Deciding who is notable is a tough question to ask and you can't really make a ranking or standard for it to be honest. The only ways you could do this is to ask two questions.

What has this person done on the site?
Is it enough to be seen as notable?

If you can answer both of those questions with the answer for the second one being yes, then that person is notable.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Sep. 27th, 2011 @ 09:42 AM Reply

At 9/25/11 01:50 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 9/24/11 08:24 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: If nobody works with Notability- don't complain if you don't get the Pages you want.
I guess what makes a flash crew notable depends on how long they've been here and what word is spoken of them. When it comes to adding people based on notability, I believe that those who work on their craft or leave an impact on the site are those who are notable and this could be through either fame or infamy.

Take Ocarina-Kid for example. He is a nobody, one of his songs was on the front of the Audio Portal's Top 5, but I did an interview with him. Why? Because his music is truly wonderful and he dedicates himself to his craft.

OK, so you are saying that you sometimes pick people just cos YOU like them.

Deciding who is notable is a tough question to ask and you can't really make a ranking or standard for it to be honest.

But we have to try and do that in order to have one standard to work towards. The criteria of "ranking or standards" that we have so far has served us not-too-bad for the last 500 pages. We just want to do better now.

The only ways you could do this is to ask two questions.

What has this person done on the site?
Is it enough to be seen as notable?

If you can answer both of those questions with the answer for the second one being yes, then that person is notable.

Sorry, but are you saying that if they are notable, then they are notable?! ?11?

The problem is that each person has their own interests and percieves people differently- I know about Crews, so I think they are Notable. Someone else who knows about Art may think that art guys who I have never heard of are extremely Notable. Thats why we need measures.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Sep. 27th, 2011 @ 01:09 PM Reply

At 9/27/11 09:42 AM, IceDragon64 wrote: OK, so you are saying that you sometimes pick people just cos YOU like them.

Sometimes, but I see them as notable.

Sorry, but are you saying that if they are notable, then they are notable?! ?11?

You see this is why I cannot help you with this. I don't know what you're looking for.

BBS Signature
IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Sep. 27th, 2011 @ 08:27 PM Reply

At 9/27/11 01:09 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 9/27/11 09:42 AM, IceDragon64 wrote: OK, so you are saying that you sometimes pick people just cos YOU like them.
Sometimes, but I see them as notable.

You see this is why I cannot help you with this. I don't know what you're looking for.

Sorry if I was flippant-
I am sure you can. Mostof the people you interview are those you perceive as famous/well known/significant/NOTABLE to Newgrounders in general- yes? Presumably by now you have had quite a bit of feedback from other people too, including probably comments about how significant that person is. You have demonstrated a wide interest in the different parts of Newgrounds- yes? I was hoping that this would give you a good perspective to say something about what criteria makes a person Notable and what is just a passing fad.

For example, I thought that moderators were not that important- some of the more modest moderators are surprised that we consider them automatically Notable. However, many people consider that they are really important and apparently their Pages are often read. Once we got started people immediately made Pages for them and nobody has seriously questioned it since.

Also, people who are regulars on the Forums think that forum stuff, like someone with thousands of posts is terribly important, but research showed us that the forums are a drop in the ocean to the main Portal traffic on the site and Tom agrees.

I am sure you would agree with me that one little Daily 3rd doesn't make someone Notable- so what does? A first? a weekly? or does somebody have to get a Tank award to get a Page for being a Notable Author?

So, I am not really asking what YOU think is important, but what you reckon people in general would think of as important, in your experience.

Your answers so far ARE interesting and tell us something about The Interviewer. They are also a reminder that people will always have their own opinion and we can never please everyone with the Notability of Pages on Wikigrounds, so thank you for persisting with this.

BBS Signature
IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Sep. 30th, 2011 @ 08:43 PM Reply

Wonderful! Now perhaps you would like to actually read my post- I didn't ask for the blurb about you...

I will do you a deal Mr Travis. You write your terribly Notable opinions on the subject of Notability either HERE or here in the NG thread and I will record you for posterity on Wikigrounds

We are at the end of a monthly theme (and competition) about Wikigrounds/Newgrounds Notability and virtually NOBODY has given us any opinions for it. No ART or Audio pages will be made until we have some criteria for Notability for them. We have asked various Art & Audio types to help us and they haven't- what do we know?

Tonight, you could win the Monthly Theme with a single blast of ideas on Notability on all subjects, just read the recent thread here and write it all down- Submissions, Users, Art, Audio, Artists, Musicians, Other relevent sites... What makes each so important we should have Pages about them?

BBS Signature
joeyjoah
joeyjoah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Oct. 6th, 2011 @ 12:00 AM Reply

I'm updating a few templates right now, mainly the flash one. My blog post on it.

Of course, what I really should be doing is HELP DEFINE NOTABILITY.

And Icedragon, did you know about this? I find it funny that its been there the whole time.

q

IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Oct. 6th, 2011 @ 08:26 PM Reply

At 10/6/11 12:00 AM, joeyjoah wrote: I'm updating a few templates right now, mainly the flash one. My blog post on it.

-cool

Of course, what I really should be doing is HELP DEFINE NOTABILITY.

- I am waiting before doing the Monthly Changes in the vain hope that anyone else will step in. If you take the info we have on the various subjects and put it into the Page you created, you can have this Monthly theme competition. I will go there now and do Crews after getting a little feedback from crews on the subject this month.

And Icedragon, did you know about this? I find it funny that its been there the whole time.

Ah, you see Salnax created it along with a couple of sample pages for Art, then we stopped the whole Art project because nobody would decide Notability for Art, so we didn't want to encourage anyone to create more Art Pages until we have Notability sorted. We really want Artists to decide Notability, but they have not been interested.
If you feel like inserting it into the Pages we have, go ahead.

BBS Signature
IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Oct. 11th, 2011 @ 07:14 PM Reply

Finalising Notability
1. I did the Page, because nobody else did, so I claim last month's competition.

2. Moany Malachy says that if I want to talk to the C&C regs any more about Club Notability I should thrash it out here first. Well, I feel I have already annoyed y'all enough on this subject and I am virtually the only person who posts here at the moment, but I always respect mods cos I sure as hell wouldn't want to bother to do their job- so here goes...

Do we want Pages about any of the Clubs & Crews on the forums? We have a couple of NG oriented clubs already, such as the Review Club etc. What defines a forum club as being Notable enough to have a Page?
* length of time?
*Number of replies?
*Number of views?
*Number of Pages?
or WHAT?

I have put something in for now, but I want input from C&C people.

My own preference would be to only have forum clubs that are:
1. Newgrounds related
2. Over a year old
3. Have over 1K of replies

BUT I don't really know anything about C&C. That is the point, I have no comparison. I want to talk to some people who actually hang out here and can tell me what people think. Please?

BBS Signature
IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Oct. 11th, 2011 @ 07:52 PM Reply

OK, three posts in a row- not good. Thats cos you lot who read it don't post- give us your thoughts, that is what this thread is FOR!

Monthly winner and New Competition

Joey helped set it up and a few people ansered my questions, but I chased people up with questions, and wrote it all up, filling in the gaps with my own oppinion, so it was definately my month.

We want to do something that Spaintendo asked for a long time ago. Put in links from The interviewer into the Pages of the various people he interviewed. Simple, no need to quote unless you want to get a few key bits of info, just put in the Link to the Page and write Interview in your edit summary.
As you can see from the above post, if you have any thoughts on Notability, it is not too late to gvie us your opinion.

See you next month. I am WORKING ON AN IMPORTANT SUBMISSION WITH MY GIRLFRIEND, as you will see!

BBS Signature
Salnax
Salnax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Dec. 1st, 2011 @ 04:34 PM Reply

The problem with determining the notability of art is that the Art Portal seems to have surprisingly little traffic. The most viewed submission of all time doesn't even reach the 500,000 views necessary for notability. There's plenty of artwork though, suggesting this means individual pieces simply never get as much attention.

I think artwork should receive an article if it gets a Weekly Users' Choice Award, any Monthly Award, or has some special claim to fame, like being used as part of a huge project, or being in the news.

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Dec. 1st, 2011 @ 10:07 PM Reply

Sorry for my more than necessary of length time off guys I do hope to return soon there's not much I can contribute other than to fix mistakes and spelling errors which you guys have pretty much cleaned up. Glad to hear Salnax is back as a regular hope to see you all soon.

BBS Signature
Little-Rena
Little-Rena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Dec. 1st, 2011 @ 10:16 PM Reply

I have edited my page once again, please leave it as female, this is the gender role I identify with, as per my profile and everything else, I am the one who originally edited it that way, so please, leave it that way.

Thanks.

IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Dec. 2nd, 2011 @ 08:41 PM Reply

At 12/1/11 10:16 PM, Little-Rena wrote: I have edited my page once again, please leave it as female, this is the gender role I identify with, as per my profile and everything else, I am the one who originally edited it that way, so please, leave it that way.

Thanks.

Salnax and I both totally support this assertion and will revert any attempt to change it without at least discussing it first. I cannot imagine any reason that we should go against LR's identified gender, although obviously people have a right to discuss this in the normal polite way on Wikigrounds if they wish.

BBS Signature
IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Dec. 2nd, 2011 @ 08:55 PM Reply

Salnax wins Oct-Nov!

1. He was the first person to do any work on Interviews in this time period, although the work is only just begun. The Interviews are an important source of information about Notable people and add much to the credibility, as well as the informative content of the Wiki. I will knock out a couple of links etc. this month, at least- indeed if I have time I will challenge for the December theme competition. Please put "Interview" in the box when you write the edit, so we can see easily what interview work is being done.

2. Please check out my Blood Donation submission. It is a worthy cause, which I hope you will all consider supporting in some way. Also, please give it a Review if you have anything new and helpful to say, I am prepared to consider making changes.

3. Please welcome Salnax back- he has been unwell for a long time and is back and busy editing. We have MISSED HIM and we hope he will be able to join in on recent projects, such as finalising Notability, which is still ongoing.

4. Please post your thoughts on Wikigrounds here- a lot of people read this thread when it comes up and supporting the club thread is a simple way of supporting this useful source of Newgrounds information.

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Dec. 5th, 2011 @ 05:12 AM Reply

Whats it take to get a Stats whore page on this Wikigrounds? Seeing as Domo has one (the last time that I looked) and I've got a few stats that are higher then his.

Just a stats whore looking for some kind of acknowledgement ;).

I said no to drugs but they just wouldn't listen.
Like Page///Art Thread///Latest Art Piece

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Dec. 5th, 2011 @ 09:30 AM Reply

At 12/5/11 05:12 AM, Decky wrote: Whats it take to get a Stats whore page on this Wikigrounds? Seeing as Domo has one (the last time that I looked) and I've got a few stats that are higher then his.

Sorry for the double post. I made myself one. it's pretty basic but if somebody wants to make it better they are more then welcome. I'll get on it myself when I next have the time.

I said no to drugs but they just wouldn't listen.
Like Page///Art Thread///Latest Art Piece

BBS Signature
IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Dec. 14th, 2011 @ 07:42 PM Reply

At 12/5/11 09:30 AM, Decky wrote:
At 12/5/11 05:12 AM, Decky wrote: Whats it take to get a Stats whore page on this Wikigrounds? Seeing as Domo has one (the last time that I looked) and I've got a few stats that are higher then his.
Sorry for the double post. I made myself one. it's pretty basic but if somebody wants to make it better they are more then welcome. I'll get on it myself when I next have the time.

Sorry, pal, but Domo has one becuase he is a Mod, not because he is a Statwhore. You are welcome to put your info onto your Userpage on WikiG, but I have already put your Page up for deletion. You are only at all likely to be considered Notable on your stats if you are the HIGHEST on a given stat, and even then, maybe not. Its probably easier to become an Icon or Genre Mod (not a wiki editor, they are not really mods) If you are in any doubt, check out my stats etc. I don't have a Page.

BBS Signature
IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:25 PM Reply

HAHAHAHahaha!!!11!!!

Way back I remember Salnax writing to me saying that there was going to be an official wiki on Newgrounds and imagining that it would be the end of us. Various people said that we were just rubbish and it would be so good to have everything on the official wiki, which would be so much better.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Maybe one day the official wiki will be some threat to our sense of purpose, but at present, it is out of date and extremely limited in its scope. The FAQ is often rather out of date too and is not really that well written. We offered to help them, but not much has come of it, so we continue, with hundreds of visitors, hundreds of pages, hundreds of editors, hundreds of pix, links, quotes, refs, edits etc.etc.

Onward into the New Year. I only plan to do a few Interview links tonight, so if anyone wants to take the Monthly competition for December, it won't be that hard- hurry up tho, only a few days to go.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 10:41 PM Reply

Hello. Haven't been on Wikigrounds much the past few days. I've seen the links to The Interviewer. I just wanted to thank all of you for the time and patience of dealing with The Interviewer and giving us this recognition. It truly does mean a lot.

BBS Signature
IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 08:44 PM Reply

The-Great-One tells me that Theinterviewer is regularly given a shout-out spot on the Front Page by Tom.

1. Is that so? I rarely visit FP.

2. If it is, then is Theinterviewer Notable?

If you read this and don't bother to give your opinion, don't complain if you don't get what you want on WikiG.

We really need a few of you to come forward and join in. One day a month would be very useful to us, or one week in a year- Register, edit, join in the Monthly theme- go back to your usual whatever for a long time- Not so hard !

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 08:51 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 08:44 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: The-Great-One tells me that Theinterviewer is regularly given a shout-out spot on the Front Page by Tom.

1. Is that so? I rarely visit FP.

Yes it is. Writer under where the three latest NG News forum posts are showing the 5 latest users or group of users interviewed.

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #10 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
Little-Rena
Little-Rena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Dec. 25th, 2011 @ 02:35 AM Reply

I;ve made you a template based on the user template for Groups, do you think it has enough information on it for an infobox? Group Template

Yeah, I know I'm not really part of this crew but I got bored and figured that crews could have done with in infobox for quick information.

IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 08:59 AM Reply

At 12/25/11 02:35 AM, Little-Rena wrote: I;ve made you a template based on the user template for Groups, do you think it has enough information on it for an infobox? Group Template

-I'm a little confused here. I see the template- like the one we use for Crews , e.g. Clock Crew, but what is it for? Are you proposing that we create a Page for the Wikigrounds Club on Wikigrounds? I don't think it is anywhere near Notable enough compared to the other major NG clubs.

Yeah, I know I'm not really part of this crew

-TBH I never really envisaged the Club thread as in any way an exclusive club- in fact your comments help to explain why so many people read the contents but don't comment. I just wanted people to have a forum on NG to talk to each other. However, as far as I am concerned, if there is a club, you are in it. You would be one of the people I would turn to to talk about Crews, for example, and you have dropped in on the Wiki for a long time now.

but I got bored and figured that crews could have done with in infobox for quick information.

- Huh? Are you saying that you haven't been to the other Crew Pages? Clocks, Locks etc. Did you just create that box which is more or less identical to the one we already use, from scratch?

BBS Signature
IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:09 AM Reply

Job Done
. I decided to finish Interviews properly last night, so I put in a link from every Page that has an interview to the apt Interview on NG. It is not what I had in mind- I was hoping people would actually extract quotes from the Interviews and put them on Pages, but this will have to do.

I off for a month, I spent more time on this than I intended to, but it couldn't go on for ever. I will be attending to other things, such as my writing.

Right now I am off to make some bat boxes and to enjoy a little winter sunshine. See y'all in Feb

BBS Signature
ThisIsAnEmergency
ThisIsAnEmergency
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Jan. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:12 PM Reply

Here's something you could make a Wiki on the Wikigrounds about!

http://bigred.newgrounds.com/news/post/5 92487

The New Grounds Hip-Hop Competition 2011!

(Not sure if you already have, or what.)

Also, I'm allowed to make a wiki for things such as...
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1282 916

When I'm all said and done with the project, correct?

BBS Signature
Salnax
Salnax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Jan. 6th, 2012 @ 12:06 PM Reply

I've been updating older pages. Fortunately, almost everything has been updated at least since summer of 2010, but I think I can push that forward to at least 2011.

IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Jan. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:14 PM Reply

At 1/3/12 08:12 PM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote: Here's something you could make a Wiki on the Wikigrounds about!

http://bigred.newgrounds.com/news/post/5 92487

The New Grounds Hip-Hop Competition 2011!

(Not sure if you already have, or what.)

OK. We need to decide on criteria of Notability for Newgrounds competitions. I could knock up a competition with a couple of my friends tomorrow, but it wouldn't be Notable. I suppose one like this, with Store Credit must be supported by Newgrounds, so maybe, but what does everyone think?

Also, I'm allowed to make a wiki for things such as...
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1282 916

When I'm all said and done with the project, correct?

I don't get what this project is. If its just a one-off music collab of some sort, then no, unless it produces Notable music, we will delete the page. If it is some kind of music crew, then maybe it would be like Flash crews, most of whom get Pages. If you feel the result is Notable for some reason, write a simple Page including whatever info shows its Notability and we will consider it. Or contact whoever is active on Wikigrounds at that moment.

When you say "a wiki" you mean "a Page on Wikigrounds". As a matter of fact, you can create your own wiki on any subject, if you wish- the Kitty Crew, Madness, Soup Squad, Clock Crew and Lock Legion all have their own wikis

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 07:21 AM Reply

The Interviewer is currently off the front page. Never fear though, Tom is looking to get it back up there. He told me he is working on shuffling around the front page and he will find a spot for it. In the meantime we're gonna keep going.

BBS Signature
IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Wikigrounds Club Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 08:04 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, The-Great-One wrote: The Interviewer is currently off the front page. Never fear though, Tom is looking to get it back up there. He told me he is working on shuffling around the front page and he will find a spot for it. In the meantime we're gonna keep going.

OK. you do that. The Interviewer is clearly Notable and we will make a Page for it, when I recover from the shock of the Redesign here!

So much to do, so little time to do it:

We should really respond to the changes here on NG in all kinds of ways on the Wiki, but I am too busy writing etc. Can somebody please set up the Monthly Changes, including making the 2012 Redesign the Monthly Theme competition?
thanks to those that have made a start on it- including Incdis and Mikeys

BBS Signature