00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RunicPixels just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

[Contest - $35] Make an app icon

16,555 Views | 146 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 00:47:36

My try.
On second thought, this does seem way too complicated.

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 00:53:06

At 2/2/10 11:57 PM, Kuoke wrote: Some stuff.

That screams 'Portal' to me...

BBS Signature

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 01:15:45

Gave it a go...

Didn't want to add too much to it so I kept it simple. Your initial logo is pretty well done already, so I just added a bit of shine and a little something behind it for some depth and a "soundwave" effect.

[High Res]

-----------------------------| Website | 101 Signs Collab | NG Audio Portal Flash |----------------------------

BBS Signature

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 02:44:05

Done being finicky with this

thanks cosmicdeath for being awesome and helping me with perspective

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 02:53:31

Please post your stuff IN the thread... don't just link it! I've deleted all posts that were just links, so please repost with ART! Thanks

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 03:14:46

Hey there everyone. This looks interesting, so I thought I'd give it a go. Went for 3-D-ing the headphones, but left the "t" flat cos it seems to catch more attention that way.

Went for a mostly clean look, cos that'd probably work better if you intend to size it down.

Could probably do with more work, and a whole lot of touch-up, but I'm not exactly great with colours and stuff, so I guess it's more a submission of a concept. If you like the idea and wanna run with it, well, great!

P.S. also done using GIMP

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 03:22:26

At 2/2/10 11:57 PM, Kuoke wrote: For some reason, this reminds me of something else but I can't quite put my finger on it. If I subconsciously stole the idea from somewhere and someone recognises it, then give us a shout.

Heh, yeah it looks fimiliar... It looks pretty good, but the outlines seem a little jaggedy.

At 2/3/10 12:47 AM, shahdoekoebrah wrote: My try.
On second thought, this does seem way too complicated.

Yeah it's interesting but too busy and a little too colorful.

At 2/3/10 01:15 AM, chillyphilly wrote: Didn't want to add too much to it so I kept it simple. Your initial logo is pretty well done already, so I just added a bit of shine and a little something behind it for some depth and a "soundwave" effect.

This is pretty cool. I like the sense of depth and the waves. Very nice job.

At 2/3/10 02:44 AM, Captain-Ben wrote:
thanks cosmicdeath for being awesome and helping me with perspective

I think this has a lot of potential. I love the depth and it's cool looking, but I think it would be much better if you could put it inside of something.

At 2/3/10 02:49 AM, HotCakes wrote: yhjkl

Hmm, top is way too dark and difficult to see, and I'm not really liking the outline. I do like the effects you put on the tail parts though.

At 2/3/10 02:53 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: Please post your stuff IN the thread... don't just link it! I've deleted all posts that were just links, so please repost with ART! Thanks

Yeah this is a good point, please listen everyone. It makes it much easier for me to go through and give feedback on everything if there is at least a sample right here in the thread.

At 2/3/10 03:14 AM, Xentarim wrote: Could probably do with more work, and a whole lot of touch-up, but I'm not exactly great with colours and stuff, so I guess it's more a submission of a concept. If you like the idea and wanna run with it, well, great!

It's definitely an interesting concept and I like it, but it's just too choppy. If you could clean up the choppiness that would be good.

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 03:49:18

My try, what do you think so far? (it's unfinished I just want to know if there is something to improve)

Insert useless information.

BBS Signature

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 03:58:17

Hang-on just a test, I'm getting my transparency messed up :I

Insert useless information.

BBS Signature

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 04:07:30

At 2/3/10 02:53 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: Please post your stuff IN the thread... don't just link it! I've deleted all posts that were just links, so please repost with ART! Thanks

Grrr not cool ReNaeNae, not cool...
The reason I used links is because stoopid forums wont let you host png files,
jpg files lose their transparency, which is crucial and gimp sucks at exporting GIF's, they lose their transparency aswell, so the only way to show a good copy was to put it on newgrounds dump as a png, but now I can't post my good pics.

Grrr I give up, no point arguing with someone with so much power. Just saying that a jpg looks much worse than a png which could easily make him not choose it.

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 05:14:00

At 2/3/10 04:07 AM, snowstormfir wrote: Grrr I give up, no point arguing with someone with so much power. Just saying that a jpg looks much worse than a png which could easily make him not choose it.

...Why don't you just post the a high quality jpg here and add a link to the Dump png version? I doubt he's gonna go "Oh noes, grainy jpg quality, obviously, I'm not going to choose THAT!".

At 2/3/10 03:22 AM, DFox wrote: Heh, yeah it looks fimiliar... It looks pretty good, but the outlines seem a little jaggedy.

I was under the impression that you'd inevitably shrink it down anyway, eliminating the sharp edges - but hey, you're the boss.

Dump link.

Is it supposed to look messed up because it was converted to a display jpg? Yeah just save as and it'll look proper.

BBS Signature

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 05:15:03

At 2/3/10 05:14 AM, Kuoke wrote: Dump link.

Heyoooooo.

BBS Signature

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 06:16:32

2 real questions over this
I saw that we have some freedom to alter the original, but just about how far can we go?
an example would probably answer this best for me,
and Second, is there a website where we can read up more on the program? I just wanted to give it a look over and perhaps even get a beta or something so I can really make something that feels like the program.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 06:36:52

do we have to add effects and filters, or can we redraw it, recolour it etc, as said how far can we go

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 08:26:40

The circle may be a bit too big but that could easily be changed. Well, I gave it a chance anyway.

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 08:34:34

Ugh, far too big.
This looked better in my opinion.

(Sorry for doublepost.)

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 09:04:42

I'll be leaving feedback for all of the entries I haven't left for later, but I wanted to answer some questions before I go out for a few hours.

At 2/3/10 06:16 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: I saw that we have some freedom to alter the original, but just about how far can we go?
an example would probably answer this best for me,

As far as you want. I'm not sure what example I can give here. You're the artist, do whatever you want. I'm looking for a great icon that somehow consists of the symbol provided in some way/shape/form. It's really up to you. Like I said, break the rules.

and Second, is there a website where we can read up more on the program? I just wanted to give it a look over and perhaps even get a beta or something so I can really make something that feels like the program.

This is a good question. Unfortunately, the site is not up and the program is in a very limited alpha and I can't add any more users right now as it's not entirely stable and I need direct lines of communication to all testers right now.

But, maybe this will help, here's a bunch of colors used in the application:
background - #ECEDEF
main tab text color #333333
song bubble 1 - #b3daf6
song bubble 2 - #cacaca

Mostly songs are displayed, and all songs are displayed in either song bubble 1 or song bubble 2. I hope this helps a little.

At 2/3/10 06:36 AM, ashman112 wrote: do we have to add effects and filters, or can we redraw it, recolour it etc, as said how far can we go

You can do whatever you feel will make it look best and the most dazzling icon. It's really up to you.

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 11:00:01

Can't you post a screenshot?

I like to keep these short ;)

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 11:50:45

Here is my result, with the different icon sizes you wanted

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 12:25:13

SCREENSHOT!! I've posted a screenshot from the application. I was hesitant to do this for a number of reasons. Mainly, the graphics and colors in the desktop app right now are subject to change. ALSO, the scrollbar will DEFINITELY be changed, so ignore that color. My other reason is because I don't really know how much of the icon should revolve around the desktop app since the program will be used on iPhone/iTouch and it will be using the native controls and look different... But anyway, use the screenshot how you'd like.

At 2/3/10 03:43 AM, HotCakes wrote: better?

Yes, pretty cool!

At 2/3/10 03:49 AM, Vandal2 wrote: My try, what do you think so far? (it's unfinished I just want to know if there is something to improve)

It looks pretty good, but try putting it in something.

At 2/3/10 05:14 AM, Kuoke wrote: I was under the impression that you'd inevitably shrink it down anyway, eliminating the sharp edges - but hey, you're the boss.

You're correct, but when I present it to some friends that I'm going to get opinions from, I'm most likely going to show them as-is in this thread but they'll obviously know quality might not be that good because of the jpeg/gif compression.

Anyway, I really like it. I don't have any other suggestions at this time, I'll let you know if I do.

At 2/3/10 08:34 AM, MrFizhman wrote: Ugh, far too big.
This looked better in my opinion.

Looks pretty good, but I don't love the dark blue in the BG.

At 2/3/10 11:00 AM, Reguba wrote: Can't you post a screenshot?

Yes, but make sure you read my "disclaimer" that came with it.

At 2/3/10 11:50 AM, Flexy wrote: Here is my result, with the different icon sizes you wanted

The symbol looks great, but I think it would be much better if it was in something and it would have much more to it.

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 13:24:47

If you like the idea but I've just not exactly hit the colors or the style spot on, don't hesitate to ask me to refine it. I've retraced it in vector so I can rework and resize to the extent of my heart's desire. ;D

BBS Signature

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 14:16:34

The symbol looks great, but I think it would be much better if it was in something and it would have much more to it.

I agree, it looks better inside a container

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 14:25:20

At 2/3/10 02:16 PM, Flexy wrote:
I agree, it looks better inside a container

This one would get my vote. Good job, Flexy.

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 15:07:57

This is my second attempt.

Tweeter and the Monkey Man were hard-up for cash, they stayed up all night selling cocaine and hash.

BBS Signature

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 15:26:10

Containers are cool.
And here's my entry:

The graphic you provided looks quite nice, actually.
So all that was really left was souping up the color, and
placing it in a container of some sort.

The background seemed unnecessary for the 16 x 16, so I left it out.
If you'd like anything changed feel free to let me know.

what

BBS Signature

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 15:42:14

Hey i know this going to sound really sad and stupid but can someone tell me what a good software for stuff like this is?
I can't seem to find a good one anywhere

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 15:58:35

At 2/3/10 03:42 PM, locodoc wrote: Hey i know this going to sound really sad and stupid but can someone tell me what a good software for stuff like this is?
I can't seem to find a good one anywhere

gimp is the best you can get for free

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 19:45:09

At 2/3/10 01:24 PM, VirulentX wrote: If you like the idea but I've just not exactly hit the colors or the style spot on, don't hesitate to ask me to refine it. I've retraced it in vector so I can rework and resize to the extent of my heart's desire. ;D

Hmm, I don't love the lines in the background because I think it drowns out the t a little too much.

At 2/3/10 02:16 PM, Flexy wrote: I agree, it looks better inside a container

Awesome! Great job, I don't have any more suggestions/changes now, but I'll let you know if I come up with any.

At 2/3/10 03:07 PM, EDUCATIONALWAGON wrote: This is my second attempt.

It's interesting, but when scaled down, I don't think you'll be able to see the t symbol which needs to be clearly visible at sizes like 16x16.

At 2/3/10 03:26 PM, K-Guare wrote: The background seemed unnecessary for the 16 x 16, so I left it out.
If you'd like anything changed feel free to let me know.

Looks great! I agree 100% about the 16x16, plus I'm really digging it at 16x16, I like the slight shadow. Anyway, I don't have any changes at this time, I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 19:46:36

Another try:
I made two, one with music notes and one without, but I can only include one picture. Here's one with music notes.

Response to [Contest - $35] Make an app icon 2010-02-03 21:08:03

PREPARE FOR DOUBLE POST

Alright, have two updates on my design. First one here I added 3d to the white outline, and a shadow. Giving it more of the feel of a physical object and giving it weight, without having to just put a background object on it.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature