00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Speed Writing Challenges

1,462 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-27 22:04:34

The point of this thread is to see how well you write in a short amount of time about about a random subject.

Rules

Whoever writes about the subject and posts their story before anyone else is allowed to choose the next subject for the next writers.

It is speed writing so the writings will only have to be 100 words in length, but can take all the way up to an entire post. Please keep it down to one post though.

You can't write about your subject, but as soon as someone has made a new writing and chooses a subject feel free to jump back in and contribute.

Feel free to comment on the stories.

Always read the last page. I know this should be obvious, but sometimes newer users don't think about it. This might be important if the number of words ever change.

Try and make an original subject, but eventually a subject will repeat. It is inevitable, but try to be original as long as possible.

----------

First Subject: Living as a hobo on a street of a overpopulated city.

Response to Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-27 22:09:48

You don't know what it's like living day by day unsure if you could feed yourself let alone survive the night. Watching the entire world pass you buy and living in a world of judgmentality where you can never meet someone different without them thinking low of you. Sitting on the corner with the box you live in and having a frying pan as your most valuable possession. I am the man who humbles people by comparison. That is all im useful for...

Life of a A-list actor

BBS Signature

Response to Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-27 22:11:01

Jazz

O' baby, my gins' on the rocks -
And my feet are a tapin'
The jazz is goin and the floors' a livin -
So, baby, lets get goin'

Drop that smile of yours,
And lets get down onto that floor.
Go until our bodies be sore
O' baby, take my hand,
And lets hit the floor.

Subject: The death of a great man

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-27 22:11:06

At 1/27/10 10:04 PM, Fro wrote:
First Subject: Living as a hobo on a street of a overpopulated city.

Hi, my name is Robert. I'm what you might call a "hobo". I dropped out of school at the age of 17 and have since been living on the mean streets of New York. Things are tough, but I manage to get by. There are so many people here, but I never really seem to notice them. They all spend their time in the business districts or in Times Square. I spend all of my time dumpster diving for my next meal. Some people around here try to beg for money, but what's the point? Nobody in this city cares. You're not getting any money, so just stop trying. That's what I say. I'd rather keep some of my dignity by relying on myself for food, drink, and shelter. That's not to say that I don't visit the soup kitchen. I do, but I feel like that's different, ya know?

Anyways, I have to stop writing this. I'm hungry and the garbage man comes around here in 10 minutes, so I better get the last edible things out of the nearby dumpster.

NEW TOPIC: Write about life in the year 2034. What's it like? What's different? What's the same?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-27 22:11:21

Misinterpreted instructions... Sorry, thought that it had to be a maximum of 100 words...

my bad

BBS Signature

Response to Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-27 22:18:28

At 1/27/10 10:11 PM, Ptcfast wrote: Misinterpreted instructions... Sorry, thought that it had to be a maximum of 100 words...

my bad

That's fine. I should have worded it differently, but I guess it's just up to the judgment of whoever decides to write next where to start whether they do your topic or someone elses. There will be mistakes and people making stories of the wrong subject throughout the thread, but as long as it's pretty decently organized it should be fine.

The point is to try and get a bunch of different stories coming in at once though. It's like a competition at all times and it's good to see how different people write about different things.

Response to Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-27 22:20:27

I jumped up from my bed and stepped out onto my balcony. I smiled and breathed in the fresh, fresh air. The sun's glow flowed through my window and seeped inside me.

It's the year 2034, and I've finally gotten where everybody has dreamed of getting to.

Now, I'm not talking about president, being rich, or any stuff like that. I'm talking about the dream people always dream about, without knowing it.

Living your life, that's what I always say and that's what I did.

Oh hey, it's 6:00 in the morning, I have to catch a plane in a few minutes to a nice tropical island.

Don't worry though, her apartment is near the airport.

New topic: Quickly write something that's unrealistic. But set it from 10 minutes from now.

Hey, I'm Jonathan. Call me Jonny. I have a computer. You probably don't.

Oh no, up is falling down!

Xbox Live: F1rst Play3r

BBS Signature

Response to Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-27 22:21:44

Oh hey, by the way, you should totally make this a club.
Cheers.

Hey, I'm Jonathan. Call me Jonny. I have a computer. You probably don't.

Oh no, up is falling down!

Xbox Live: F1rst Play3r

BBS Signature

Response to Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-27 22:30:54

When my dad comes home with his brand new squid maker, I am going to go dive into my 35' hot tub. Sure he will probably stick the squid in there with me, but he will have to let the water cool down right? So that still leaves me with enough time to at least swim for a couple of minutes. Alright so now I am getting undressed because I never go swimming with clothes on. Besides the feeling of warm dirty laundry on your skin is so much better than normal laundry. As I dive into our hot tub, my dick gets caught on the telephone wire and I have to cut it with my titanium scissors. The only problem is that I can't find my scissors. The telephone wire cuts off my dick and I bleed to death.

LOLWUT?

|Foxes Club| |I VOICE ACT.|

PSN ID: jake-thesnake_ng XBL: SFC Fox Paw

BBS Signature

Response to Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-27 22:41:53

Remember to post a new subject along with your story guys. The last person hadn't done it so I'll copy and paste one of the subjects from a user who wasn't chosen.

Subject: The death of a great man

Response to Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-27 22:51:39

I saw him fall off the stage. The rain fell slowly. I could see every drop hitting the ground. In the absence of sound we all watched, waiting for the crash of his corpse to bring us back to reality. Nobody shed a tear, even his daughter's eyes were dry. Perhaps it was shock or mabe it was just too early to tell, but we all knew this was a moment we would remember. An outdoor show in the park seemed safe like we were protected from the trees, but no one could have saved him from himself. His last words still rang in my head, "Who fucking farted!"

thought i was serious huh
Dane Cook referance

New subject: Racism in the modern day

Nateofwar owns your mother

Response to Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-28 00:37:49

Another day, another job app put in. I won't hear anything back, though. The manager's face as I handed what I spent hours making it perfect said it all; we don't hire "your kind." That's what it said. I've gotten used to it, but it doesn't help that I have bills to pay.

My last job was the same. I didn't do anything wrong. Just one day I made a small mistake. I was out of it, worried for my kid, and I gave some punk the wrong amount of change. Something like fifty cents. Fired on the spot for it, even though I offered to pay it back out of my pocket.

I drive down the street to see a cop car. I try not to pay attention, but I know the stare he's giving me as I go by. He thinks I'm a low life, a bastard who deserves to be locked up for who knows how many crimes I've committed. I've never done such a thing. I was raised an honest man, and even if the place I live isn't the best I'll still be the best I can be.

I pull in the driveway, get out of my car and start for the door when I see the cop following me. Another day, another cop thinking I'm the criminal, that we all look alike.

New Subject: Moral dilemma, to enforce the law or help a starving family (For kicks, make it from an medieval perspective)

Response to Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-28 19:37:41

NEW SUBJECT: A kitten that is adopted by someone, ditched by that person later for a (boyfriend/girlfriend) and then the cat finds a new home a couple of weeks later.

I sat there in the box completely confused on why they would leave me. What did allergies mean? Why was I being left alone because that new human had allergies towards me? I was utterly confused, but I knew that they would come back for me, just like the day they had found me outside. This night was was oddly similar to that night. I had gotten lost and after hours of walking I finally found my way to a doorstep. The woman had taken me in like I was her own.

It was perfect until he came along. Him and his stupid allergies and now tonight I sit here in this box just as cold and scared the night I had gotten lost. A shadow from the opposite direction that I had been looking startled me and all of the fur on my back stood on end. A part of me hoped that it had been the same person that dropped me off, but it wasn't. Just a nearby vehicle passing by.

After figuring out that they weren't coming back for me I decided to head out into the town. For what seemed to be the longest time I survived on garbage scraps and the same food that I was fed, which I found on some porches. Late one cold and rainy night I had taken shelter on a porch deck nearby a building that had frequently thrown scraps out in it's garbage. I was shivering so bad that I never thought I would get to bed, but inevitably like the other nights I did manage.

"Woah, what's going on!?" I was moving. My eyes opened and even though as startled as I had been I instantly calmed down when I noticed I was in the hands of a human child. "Mom, mom! Can I keep it?!".

New Subject: A star athlete who really only has athletic ability to look forward in the future has suffered a career ending injury and needs to find a new interest for his future's sake.

Response to Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-28 21:30:10

At 1/28/10 07:53 PM, SCTE3 wrote: NEW SUBJECT: You're a girl at the age of 13 and your parents kicked you out of your own home along with all your stuff since they could no longer afford to pay or buy the supplies you would need to live. You move in with a friend.

My dad called for me, but not in his usually tone. It was a soft voice for him. I became worried as I turned the corner from my room to see him in the old living room, sitting on the tattered couch with mom, both with faces of regret.

Sit down, he whispered.

I sat to dad's right, plopping down. The couch gave a heavy sigh. Mom was about to cry. I hope Grampi didn't die.

We're sorry, he started.

What do you mean, I said.

Well, between mom and dad's job---well, we love you, and we've tried but---

But what, I desperately pleaded.

You have to stay with Madaline now, Mom broke. We have to let you go, we can't keep you.

I felt like Goldie, our Yellow Labrador. Well, she used to be ours. She disappeared three months ago.
Mom and Dad had a talk with me then too except, I know this is what happened to her too. Given away, gone for good.

Mom sobbed. Dad tried to comfort her, but it was contagious, and he joined her.

Me? Shocked. I didn't believe it. I knew we were poor, Mom and Dad really were making ends meet for us, but I couldn't leave. No, that's not possible. Why would they do this?

Despite my doubt, the deed was done. I woke up the next morning, my belongings all packed. I didn't have much: my diary, the 1st Harry Potter (got that one for Christmas last year), my backpack and books for school, a comb. There was more, but it wasn't much more. Just little things here and there.

After a short breakfast, some cheerios and OJ, Mom and I got into the car and drove to Madaline's. She is my best friend, ever. I don't have any other friends. They all make fun of me. My clothes are "from the stone age" they say. Madaline was different. She loved me even though she was with them too.

The car was quite besides the dull roar of radio fuzzing in and out and the tires hitting the pavement, the squeaking of the wheels turning, the engine giving it all its got as we come up the final hill where Madaline's house is at the top.

We turn into the driveway and stop the car. Finally some real quite. We got out of the car. I stood facing Mom. Mom stared into my eyes. She said,

Honey, I---I...

but she couldn't muster anything from herself. I helped her out.

I love you Mom. And it's ok.

But it wasn't.

Will I see you again? Mom?

She hugged me.

Goodbye, she said.

Goodbye, I echoed.

She got in the car, and the machine made its noises as it drove into the distance, the sound decaying with it. I walked to Madeline's door and knocked. A new day began.

Topic: A man is on the verge of winning a hot dog eating competition. However, before eating the winning hot dog, time stops. He looks around in confusion. A man comes to him and says, "If you eat this hot dog, you will win, but you will die in three days after bacteria from the hot dog weakens you to death. If you don't eat this hot dog, you lose, and everyone will laugh at you for the rest of your life, but you will live for 50 more years." Describe the account from beginning to end, including what the man does after realizing the crossroads of his fate. (sorry long, haha)

BBS Signature

Response to Speed Writing Challenges 2010-01-28 22:55:21

I appreciate a new post has already been made on this one, but I think it could've sounded more like a 13-year-old girl. I've been working on my own response, and I don't feel up to the hot-dog one that's been previously posted, so I'm just putting this out there for my enjoyment (and maybe yours).

At 1/28/10 07:53 PM, SCTE3 wrote: NEW SUBJECT: You're a girl at the age of 13 and your parents kicked you out of your own home along with all your stuff since they could no longer afford to pay or buy the supplies you would need to live. You move in with a friend.

Grrrr, my heel's coming off... oh come on!
If you'd done that earlier maybe I could have fit you in the case!
All my stuff squashed together and so much of it's just clothes....
I hope the candy isn't melting in there... aaargh, it'll ruin all my school stuff, I'll look like a special ed girl. Should've put it in plastic.
...Hate these shoes.

...Why couldn't they just decide it wasn't going to work out 13 years ago and save me a trip! He had to keep going back for those long business weekends, didn't he - guys are such liars.
Bet she's completely fake. Clip-on hair, plastic boobs, probably orange tan.
Maybe she wasn't a girl before - like Lady Gaga or something.
Hahaha! Hey, it could happen. Dad isn't that observant.
Wish Mom could be a bit more classy about it.
I used to really respect her. She always seemed like she'd come through for me... maybe help me out when Dad stopped caring what I do.
She's working through her own problems alright - getting really friendly with the gardener these days. How romantic - blech!
They let me go so easy... why should I care what they get up to?
Why can't they just make it work for us and be happy with each other?
WHY DO THEY ACT LIKE SPOILT LITTLE BRATS?
I wish I could forget them. I don't want to be like that at all when I'm older.

Oh God, my feet are falling asleep...... Aaaah, they're sooo hoooot!
My toes are sticking together.
Owow ow owow!
Look at me hobbling around, may as well have a peg leg.
Real pain in my stomach. I'll probably stop in a minute, but I don't really want to pop the case open and splurt my clothes all over the pavement just for a snack.
Maybe it's like, emotional pain or something. Ouch, go away.
I'll need to start a playlist in my head, get my favourite songs humming away in there.
That's gotta help. Either that or go crazy, whatever.

Jamie'll be fine with this. I mean, we're practically family.
It feels like I've had more sleep-overs at her house than I've had in my own bed.
Hahaha, and she covered for me when things got crazy at that party we weren't supposed to be at, that was so cool of her, saved me hellava freakout from my parents.
Her Mum and Dad are real perfect; they're so easy-going, I've never seen them freak over anything. They've probably heard about my parents by now; it's not like we're keeping the big mess we're going through private or anything.
They'll understand. Jamie'll make them understand, I know she will.
She gets me.

She'd sooo better not be out, or I'll just die.
That'd just... I can't even imagine.
If I get there and she's gone, I'm gonna sleep in her garden 'til she gets back.
I'll tuck down in the bushes with her cats. Euuugh.

Please be in, Jamie.
Be there for me.
Someone.

(Check the post before mine for the next topic. If I think of anything better, I'll post it.)