TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 09:14 AM Reply

So Jazza posted a thread yesterday that was very much in the tradition of the "Ask Me Anything" threads on Reddit, so we decided to change the subject to "Jazza AMA" and follow that tradition, because AMAs are tons of fun (check out my Reddit AMA for an example).

I'm thinking we should have at least one "official" and publicized AMA each month, if not each week.

The one BIG RULE is that no one is allowed to use the AMA as an opportunity to snipe a popular artist. If you want to ask a question that may "challenge" an artist on their style or decisions, you must do so in a respectful manner and any repeats of that question should be deleted by mods (ie no attacks where a group of haters drill the same question into the ground). The AMA is geared towards fans and aspiring animators, not people with a bone to pick.

This thread is a place to discuss the format of future AMA sessions, but also a place to make requests for who we should approach! So if you admire a particular animator on the site, feel welcome to suggest them here (if you admire a bunch, try to consolidate them into a single post).

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Magical-Arts
Magical-Arts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 09:23 AM Reply

I'd like a AMA with Jordan Duchnycz (the guy who made the Exile series), think that would be interesting :)

Ani-x
Ani-x
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Animator
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 09:28 AM Reply

This is a awesome idea.
I know me personally, I loved reading about NG animators and such from the old articles. ( The Swain being last i read)

I think the first and most obvious suggestion would be some of the NG staff, like luis, MC and so on.
But as far as up and comers as well as regulars on the forum, I would like to see JAZZA get a proper AMA,
Along with Neo-Light and AlmightyHans (interesting style, along with humor)

Drawing without thinking is just doodling, the brain and pen is connected.
PSN: SeoulSnake

BBS Signature
Jimp
Jimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 09:30 AM Reply

I think these are a great idea, its always cool asking people you admire anything you like!

It would be good to have some artists who dont spend as much time on the forums or making bog posts - like LeafWorthy and FleckoGold for example.

It would also be great to see Dan Paladin answer some questions, there are plenty of fans here :)

BBS Signature
Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 10:38 AM Reply

So I'm assuming these AMA sessions will be more along the lines of 'anything' as opposed to their animation techniques? Or would it be technically called 'Ask Me Animation'? haha. It seems like JAZZA's thread is pretty much an animation FAQ rather than asking about his upcoming projects and personal attributes as an artist.

I suppose the animator's natural style will show up in his workflow suggestions. Also, a lot of people seem to be answering his questions for him in his thread. But I guess that would happen on a reddit AMA as well.

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 10:41 AM Reply

Also, I do think this is a good idea, especially to get more popular animators involved in the forum discussions.

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 12:49 PM Reply

I imagine long-term we could have AMA sessions in individual forum topics, so the ones here would revolve around popular animators discussing their past & present animations and techniques. I don't think it would hurt of the discussion strayed into other topics, as long as it is fixated on a popular animator answering questions.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 01:38 PM Reply

At 1/27/10 09:14 AM, TomFulp wrote: The one BIG RULE is that no one is allowed to use the AMA as an opportunity to snipe a popular artist.

Dawww... you wanna kill all the fun. :C

Well if Zekey or Bug still visited the site, I would absolutely love to have an AMA with them, but seeing as they both left, I'd have to say HappyHarry or TheBoogley would be my recommendations.

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 01:45 PM Reply

At 1/27/10 01:41 PM, Twilight wrote: Zekey is still "around" He was locked out of his account.

After talking to him on AIM, he quit the site and all his hilarious alts after getting locked out for extremely unfair reasons. He gave his account to Hans afterwords.

Internet drama and off-topicness aside... I feel that we should get the highly skilled animators to do AMA, rather than just the people who make a video that people find funny.

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 01:48 PM Reply

At 1/27/10 01:46 PM, Twilight wrote: Maybe Adam Philips or Explosm?

Adam Phillips would be a great example for a more animation directed AMA.
Explosm, although scripts and directs well, isn't really animation excellence.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At 1/27/10 01:46 PM, Twilight wrote:
At 1/27/10 01:45 PM, Mexifry wrote: Internet drama and off-topicness aside... I feel that we should get the highly skilled animators to do AMA, rather than just the people who make a video that people find funny.
Maybe Adam Philips or Adam Philips?

Fixed :P

I disgree to a certain extent , egoraptor hasnt made any flash of reasonably high quality but the way he times them out and plots the gags and his easing are all superb so he could talk a little about that

Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 01:54 PM Reply

At 1/27/10 01:50 PM, HDXmike wrote: I disgree to a certain extent , egoraptor hasnt made any flash of reasonably high quality but the way he times them out and plots the gags and his easing are all superb so he could talk a little about that

Ego has gotten alot better, but I feel abit iffy there.
I think Nogfish or Rtil would be great people to ask as well. I think it would be harder to get Rtil to agree to it, but if you usually ask him for help on things nicely, he's very polite.

DrClay
DrClay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Gamer
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 02:34 PM Reply

One thing I would like to see is a little option that lets you know when someone quotes your reply in a thread. Sometimes if I helped someone in the flash forum, I was unaware they had another question until a few hours later...

TF2 Crew I User Icon Makers Club I Source Filmmaker Crew I
NEWGROUNDS TF2 Server: 192.223.24.28

BBS Signature
PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 03:25 PM Reply

I want to AMA HappyHarry, Zekey, or rtil. Although I'm sure the latter two would be impossible.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 07:04 PM Reply

LeafWorthy's pretty ballin animator

BBS Signature
Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 07:18 PM Reply

At 1/27/10 07:04 PM, Starogre wrote: LeafWorthy's pretty ballin animator

Agreed

bl00db47h
bl00db47h
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 09:55 PM Reply

The swain rules. I say Swain.

The Problems of the Future, by Everyone!

DrClay
DrClay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Gamer
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 09:52 AM Reply

I actually think Sh0T-D0wN is a really funny and awesome animator, so full of silly ideas. Alot like those old nicktoons we grew up with. I'm not sure if he grew alot in popularity, but he is still very awesome.

TF2 Crew I User Icon Makers Club I Source Filmmaker Crew I
NEWGROUNDS TF2 Server: 192.223.24.28

BBS Signature
Snow-Fox
Snow-Fox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 01:21 PM Reply

I would love to see a AMA session with Adam Phillips, cycon, Chris Boe, Dim and Dan of SuperFlashBros or mathew seely (of "these pancakes are tiny" fame)

Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 01:58 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 01:25 PM, Twilight wrote: Glaiel-Gamer too, and HotDiggedyDemon but you can already ask him anything in his live streams, follow him on twitter and he streams every other saturday.

Glaiel is the best animator to grace planet earth

BBS Signature
Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 02:08 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 01:58 PM, Starogre wrote: Glaiel is the best animator to grace planet earth

Lol sorry you aint gettin the credit you deserve.
I still think your awesome. ;*

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 02:23 PM Reply

Leafworthy is by far my favorate NG animator , his work may not be quite the quality of adams but i feel like hes better at portraying motion thats really pleasing to the eye and syncing up with the most awesome music

Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 05:36 PM Reply

I'd like to see one for Stamper and another for Krinkels...their personal lives intrigue

Zombie-Pimp
Zombie-Pimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 12:40 AM Reply

I think this is a great idea! I'd love to see an AMA with hulalaoo

Coaly
Coaly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 01:21 AM Reply

Catoblepas.
Bomtoons.

Lesser known people would be interesting too, so we can get different 'how I got into animation' stories and different material.

BBS Signature
JakBaronKing
JakBaronKing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 02:14 AM Reply

Great Idea for the AMA thread idea.

But the Forum in general is still a little hard to use...or at least READ in my opinion...

Why can't it be more like how our own blogs work on our Newgrounds homepages...

Where the artist who wishes to make replies to comments simply has their "reply" icon - and text written "below" and in a "smaller box underneath" the comment box in "yellow words."

I also feel that "In Case of Emergency" when a blogger over-looks a written mistake, he should be able to contact a Newgrounds Staff member specifically in charged of the Forums and 'request' an edit.

As long as it is a grammatical or link mistake - such things should be reasonable to change.

Unless it's a complete alteration of the rules or what not for contests, then an artist should stick to his guns.

JakBaronKing
JakBaronKing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 02:18 AM Reply

And furthermore...if an artist does reply to a comment that a blogger has made...it should automatically appear in the commenter's BBS blog link.

As to avoid scrolling down endless pages looking for a reply.

The improvements on Newgrounds' PM mail is noticeable and functionally sound.

But the BBS forums is still not the easiest to read in my opinion.

And with the AMA thread going about...fellow commenters would want to see if their comments were replied readily and easily.

Vladith
Vladith
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 10:05 AM Reply

I think we should ask Harry. He's done a shittonne of amazing stuff, and probably knows more than a thing or two about flash.

Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 10:40 AM Reply

At 1/30/10 10:05 AM, Vladith wrote: I think we should ask Harry. He's done a shittonne of amazing stuff, and probably knows more than a thing or two about flash.

I know how to use flash, there are plenty of tutorials, i'd more like to see some of his key framing techniques, as this is an animation forum now, not a Flash forum.

BBS Signature
Ani-x
Ani-x
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Animator
Response to AMA Suggestions & Discussion Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 10:43 AM Reply

At 1/30/10 02:18 AM, JakBaronKing wrote: And furthermore...if an artist does reply to a comment that a blogger has made...it should automatically appear in the commenter's BBS blog link.

As to avoid scrolling down endless pages looking for a reply.

The improvements on Newgrounds' PM mail is noticeable and functionally sound.

But the BBS forums is still not the easiest to read in my opinion.

And with the AMA thread going about...fellow commenters would want to see if their comments were replied readily and easily.

maybe with a added feature to multi-quote users (not every one knows how to do it) it could make it easier to read the artist.

Drawing without thinking is just doodling, the brain and pen is connected.
PSN: SeoulSnake

BBS Signature