00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BorfDoggo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2

1,664 Views | 25 Replies

Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-26 19:54:04

Original thread
I didn't say anything different here than I did there. Except for this part...
Just for future reference I suppose.

These auditions will be to take part in Did You Hear That? Vol 2
Here is the original:

Just a really basic rundown of the concept.
Everyone in the collab picks out 1 random sound effect of their choosing. After each person has contributed ONE sound. Then I compile the sound effects into a random order.
This complete sound file is then sent out to everyone, and they are not allowed to adjust it ANY way. They may not add/remove sound effects, or change the time between the sound effects.
That's the trick of the collab. Everyone will animate the same sound clip. Because there is no way to know who you're working with, you cannot steal ideas either. Meaning every individual idea that emerges from the collab will be 100% based on their own interpretation.

It did pretty decently overall, snagging a Daily 5th while being relatively underrated. But a few days later Tom front paged it, the score shot up, and I had hundreds of reviews telling me how much they loved the concept behind the collab!

In the original, I hand picked everyone, and we worked entirely through PMs here on Newgrounds. This will be half true for Volume 2 ass well.

I don't think I know enough animators to be able to get a new team together in total secrecy. I mean no disrespect to the old team, I love them all to death for the work they did, but I am getting a 100% new team together! I would feel like a tool picking and choosing people to stay and go, so to be fair, they are all cut!!
;)

Good news for you community of Newgrounds!
That means I will be holding auditions. Post me links to what you view as your BEST work. I prefer if you can link to Newgrounds submissions of yours, but if your best was in a collab, please host just your part on spamtheweb or dumpgrounds or something for me to check out.
I have a few new members already in mind. But not the full 9 I need.
This also gives a chance for some promising animators here on the BBS to maybe take a step out of their comfort zones, and maybe get a little bit or recognition for their part!

At this stage I'm not looking for sound files, just animation skills.
I plan to pick and choose some fresh blood from here on the forums. And if I end up with a few heavy-hitters, than that's pretty awesome too!

The auditions could drag out a couple weeks, depending on how long it takes me to pick out the best team! Once everyone is choosen, we will revert to the secrecy of the PMs!
Mystery!

For now, post here, and we'll see who we can find.
Good luck to everyone. I will alert you to your membership in the collab through PMs as well.
Because I'm a dink like that. In the best way possible of course.

tl;dnr version:
Are you good at Flash and want to participate in a collab? Then PM me or post on the forum with your best work and I'll let you know if you can be in the collab or not.

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-27 08:23:55

I'm not sure if I'm a part of those already in the group but I'd love to be =)

~

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-27 10:26:25

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-27 16:33:16

Okay, there will be 9 parts filled so everyone who participates will be guaranteed a co-author. That only seems fair.
I sent out a total of 8 PMs of official invites to other animators here on Newgrounds (no I didn't ask people like JohnnyUtah or Stamper, they're busy guys, and for this volume atleast I'd like to pick up animators who aren't massive NGs celebtrities already)

Out of those 8 invites, 3 have been accepted so far. One is sitting on the fence. One declined.
Atleast 2 of those who haven't replied I suspect aren't very active on Newgrounds anymore, if not 3 of them. I don't want anyone invited (accepted or not) posting in the thread. So don't think some people who have auditioned already have a part.
Everyone is being considered based on their overall appeal from what I saw.

So far I've had 12 different people show interest in the auditions.
I've been judging everyones animations while grading your overall skill and potential.

So far it looks like anywhere from 3-6 auditioners will be selected to make the final cut. That's based on how many invites are accepted. I definately have some favorites among the group so far. I wont name names to keep it all secret. I'll leave it for a week since the first thread was made. So on the 31st the final roster should be selected.

Thanks again to everyone who's submitted entries I appreciate the support. If you've been to shy to submit an audition, you still have 4 days.
No hard feelings to those who don't make the cut. Others in the collab just happened to catch my eye, or "wow" me that little bit extra.

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-27 17:21:29

At 1/27/10 04:47 PM, Mexifry wrote: If you are short people, I can help out and make a part, but reasonably it will be hard to do.

Right now I definately have enough to fill up the collab.
It all just comes down to how many invites are accepted. The more of those that are accepted, the less people I'll be able to choose from the audition pool.
That pretty much sums up my last huge messgae Haha.

Thanks though man.

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-29 01:16:14

Just wanted to say winners will be decided in 2 days.
I might extened that if I feel it's necessary. But we'll just play it by ear.
Hope to see a few more animators drop in :)

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-29 05:00:57

oooohhh... who will it be?! :D

I should've made up a false account and tried to sneak in... or did I do that already? ;)

The Throwback Collab, get on it!

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-29 13:02:50

At 1/29/10 05:00 AM, TheBoogley wrote: oooohhh... who will it be?! :D

I should've made up a false account and tried to sneak in... or did I do that already? ;)

Maybe It's the exact same set of animators, just all with alts!!
OH NO! I've been fooled! I think the whole collab will have to be cancelled for that!
;)

Just kidding! Please don't stop sending in auditions!

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-29 15:06:25

At 1/29/10 01:16 AM, Goat-Man wrote: Just wanted to say winners will be decided in 2 days.
I might extened that if I feel it's necessary. But we'll just play it by ear.
Hope to see a few more animators drop in :)

gee, there are sooo many good animators who auditioned, it's only fair that you let us all in :D

jk...

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-29 22:55:53

2 days left!
When you audition won't make a difference. I'll judge fairly.
Good luck everyone

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-30 07:04:26

Sent my audition. I'm so excited ;D

What a good looking mirror.

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-30 12:21:21

Here's some crap I threw together last night, as seeing as the submission I already posted in the previous forum had barely any examples of FBF. (I liek fbf.)

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/3d04 cd85d0063003616ad0bff471d043

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-30 19:58:08

Okay, my invites have gone generally unnoticed.
Only 3 have been accepted. Too many of the people I asked are inactive, or simply just not active often enough.

Right now I have to pick 6 auditoners. I'm pretty sure I have 4 or 5 picked out for sure who's work I've really enjoyed.
I may leave this open for a couple more days, but we'll see. Once my final decision has been made, I'll have this thread locked down, because it will have served it's purpose.

This is getting tough :(
Again, best of luck to everyone. Thanks for taking the time to put yourself out there.

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-31 12:59:14

At 1/30/10 07:58 PM, Goat-Man wrote: This is getting tough :(
Again, best of luck to everyone. Thanks for taking the time to put yourself out there.

newgrounds is becoming a place where people are getting better quicker and at younger ages, it is producing the geniuses of tomorrow. So, it'll be hard to choose.

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-31 14:00:33

I currently have 8 animators who I feel comfortable with, and would really enjoy seeing them show their stuff in this collab!
As for that magical number 9, I'm still looking. The candidates are there, but I'm not sure who to choose. I sent out 2 new invites and am hoping to fill the spot with one of them.

So sit tight for another day or two while I wait to hear back on those.
I won't choose anyone officially until I give them some time to reply.

And like Turtleco said, it's amazing to see some of the animations some 12-13 year olds on here are pulling off these days. Very talented kids!

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-01-31 18:03:59

At 1/31/10 02:00 PM, Goat-Man wrote:
And like Turtleco said, it's amazing to see some of the animations some 12-13 year olds on here are pulling off these days. Very talented kids!

when the first hyperboy came out everyone was like, whoa, a 15 yr old made that? now I can only be surprised if a 10 or 9 yr old makes something of that quality.

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-02-01 17:39:16

Well, today started off my last semester of high school. A ridiculously heavy course load, and now I have to go to work for 5 hours after only getting off school about 20 minutes ago.
This is going to be fun!

I'll be busy like the Dicken's, but I do still want to commit the time to this. Don't think I won't.
So, no final decisions today. You have probably another 24 hours AT LEAST to audition. Maybe more.
So keep at it! Haven't had a fresh audition in a while here

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-02-02 04:00:53

At 1/31/10 06:03 PM, turtleco wrote:
At 1/31/10 02:00 PM, Goat-Man wrote:
when the first hyperboy came out everyone was like, whoa, a 15 yr old made that? now I can only be surprised if a 10 or 9 yr old makes something of that quality.

Exactly. I mean, I'm 15 and I'd say I was average, but people like JonBro and the VF twins are phenomenal for their age. It's really great to see younger and younger people getting into animation :D

What a good looking mirror.

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-02-02 20:42:46

At 2/2/10 04:00 AM, Lazyfeet wrote: Exactly. I mean, I'm 15 and I'd say I was average, but people like JonBro and the VF twins are phenomenal for their age. It's really great to see younger and younger people getting into animation :D

I bet I can name ten 13 yr olds who animate well.

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-02-02 21:11:57

I was gonna say this guy http://jombo-sized.deviantart.com/ but he just turned 14.

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-02-02 21:49:12

At 2/2/10 09:12 PM, ThePeanutShark wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/a982 dacce3f1c3bd7558aef5dfa2714d

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/5185 a8d905e774f49671c50c485622f0

Hmm, both of those are really short to be judging by.
Maybe whip up something that's like 5 seconds long to show off your talents a bit more?

I might ask Tom to do a quick plug for the collab. He enjoyed the first, and it would draw more attention to it for sure.
That is unfair to you guys though (if it catches the interest of some big guys)
So to be fair to those of you who came out for the auditions, I will reserve say 4 or 5 places for you. Even if I get like 9 huge named Newgrounders (yeah right) then they can at most occupy 2 places. I want this collab to have lots of underground talent.

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-02-02 23:45:52

i'll whip sumtin up

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-02-03 01:04:03

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-02-03 08:07:38

At 2/3/10 01:04 AM, coughing-dog wrote: am I too late?

this would be my best i guess
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/51 7005

srsly? this guy is a stud. You have a huge selection of great animators here man.

BBS Signature

Response to Auditioning Animators For Dyht? 2 2010-02-03 20:13:01

And so, for Volume 2 of DYHT?, the auditions come to a close.
If this is well received again I do intend to make a third next year, but maybe I'll try and get some major attention going on that one. Perhaps I'll see some of you come out for auditions again!

Thank you so much to everyone who auditioned :)
I looked through everyones auditions and pieces on their profiles. Even if I didn't give you direct replies, do know that I stayed unbiased and gave everyone a fair chance.
It was a hard process narrowing it down to my favorites.

The winners have been notified. So if you don't have a message in your inbox, then sorry you didn't make the cut.
I will have this thread locked, because I don't want people complaining and I don't want those who have been selected posting in the thread about it.
So secrets from here on out!

A special sorry to ThePeanutShark. I do feel bad that your audition got cut short. At the time you auditioned I only really had 1 spot open, and it was recently filled with an invite I had sent out in PMs. So I couldn't really take the invite away.

Thanks again guys, it was a blast and hopefully you'll be seeing this hit the portal later this year!

GAH!

BBS Signature