New Topic Respond to this Topic
narf
narf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 3rd, 2010 @ 11:47 PM Reply

At 2/3/10 04:36 PM, Shmossy wrote: Pivot was one of the first (if not the first) animation programs I used.
I think it's helped me in animating characters, especially walk cycles.
Ahhhhh, nostalgia.

got any old saved work?

duhidiot
duhidiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 5th, 2010 @ 09:30 AM Reply

To celebrate the reincarnation of this showcase, i made something.

The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!!

THANKS FOR STANDIN' STILL WANKA!
Also, Minecraft
Buy it now or I will end you. You can punch trees in that game.

duhidiot
duhidiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 5th, 2010 @ 09:32 AM Reply

I know its laggy and all, and choppy and all the other crap you guys can come up with that is wrong with this animation, but im rusty in pivot, so gtfo.

Also, Minecraft

hijackreaper
hijackreaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 5th, 2010 @ 07:47 PM Reply

Brings a tear to my eye to see this back. ;u;

Make me a sandwich, damnit.

BBS Signature
narf
narf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 5th, 2010 @ 07:57 PM Reply

At 2/5/10 07:47 PM, hijackreaper wrote: Brings a tear to my eye to see this back. ;u;

you show show peeps your animation that got u inters in hippiepivot.

farfenwaffle
farfenwaffle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 6th, 2010 @ 04:59 PM Reply

I used to do pivot all the time, yet it makes animation alot harder because there is no way to do inbetweens, and only one layer of onion skin. So it's really bare feeling, I always fuck up with easing on that program.

Anyway, had soem trouble with following-through on movements. Bone type things are hard to animate... :(

duhidiot
duhidiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 6th, 2010 @ 06:28 PM Reply

Farfen, that was awesome for someone that doesnt use pivot nor practices it much.

Also, Minecraft

narf
narf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 7th, 2010 @ 01:19 AM Reply

At 2/6/10 04:59 PM, farfenwaffle wrote: I used to do pivot all the time, yet it makes animation alot harder because there is no way to do inbetweens, and only one layer of onion skin. So it's really bare feeling, I always fuck up with easing on that program.

Anyway, had soem trouble with following-through on movements. Bone type things are hard to animate... :(

theres a few tricks to add inbetweens. You can copy frames inbetween another so you can modify one of the copies.

One layer of onion skin is all you really need once you fully understand easing and have a good eye for spacing. You'll see expert pivoters sacrificing onion skins all together to generate a more detailed and complicated background and foreground.

To keep movements smooth you need to make sure arms and legs don't reverse direction. This can't always be seen while animating and is a common mistake when animating a body thats moving at speed, because on the one hand it looks like its on the right side of the onion skin but the actual direction of travel of a limb could be completely opposite. You can spot when this happens when you see the full animation, you'll see at certain points a limb violently shaking for a few frames.

Once this mistake is made its really hard to fix without multiple re-attempts at the frame. Some mistake the shaking to be one frame, where its really another or fixing one frame makes the next frame become the shaker and it can really throw you off and make you run in circles.

One sure way to fix is to always have the end of a limb point at its previous onion skin limb. In some cases this may not be the movement you want but it should eliminate the problem so you now have a base point where the animation looks smooth. From there you can modify the frames to be in the position you want.

Like I've said before pivot is quite a challenge, and not many understand that. A seasoned animator can easily run into problems they've never encountered before because of the sheer leniency freehand animation gives them. With pivot you need to be precise or the resulting animation will immediately kick you in the balls for messing up. This helps an animator learn how to make their animations much more fluid and gives them the skills to spot any mistakes that would otherwise go unnoticed in any other circumstances.

hijackreaper
hijackreaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 7th, 2010 @ 03:08 AM Reply

Oh right, I should dump my shit too. I've gotten better over the past year, too, guys.

;D

BBS Signature
farfenwaffle
farfenwaffle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 7th, 2010 @ 03:35 AM Reply

At 2/7/10 01:19 AM, narf109 wrote:
To keep movements smooth you need to make sure arms and legs don't reverse direction. This can't always be seen while animating and is a common mistake when animating a body thats moving at speed, because on the one hand it looks like its on the right side of the onion skin but the actual direction of travel of a limb could be completely opposite. You can spot when this happens when you see the full animation, you'll see at certain points a limb violently shaking for a few frames.

Once this mistake is made its really hard to fix without multiple re-attempts at the frame. Some mistake the shaking to be one frame, where its really another or fixing one frame makes the next frame become the shaker and it can really throw you off and make you run in circles.

(sorry for butchering the quote, took up more than 80% of the post)

I never thought of it that way, the point your making about the onion skinning is kinda confusing. Mostly I never can keep track of every limb at the same time and remember which one is going in what direction and how fast it is going. Pivot always dominated me, I should really learn it just to get better at animation.

The main problem I have with fixing my mistakes is the timeline, it is really really basic and makes it hard to fix mistakes. Of course I was babied by the flash timeline, lol. One day I will be able to use pivot, right after easy toon, and then blender, then liveswif. All on a giant to-do list.

duhidiot
duhidiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 7th, 2010 @ 07:13 AM Reply

At 2/7/10 03:08 AM, hijackreaper wrote: Oh right, I should dump my shit too. I've gotten better over the past year, too, guys.

;D

Long time no see, Hijack.

Also, Minecraft

narf
narf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 7th, 2010 @ 01:20 PM Reply

I never thought of it that way, the point your making about the onion skinning is kinda confusing. Mostly I never can keep track of every limb at the same time and remember which one is going in what direction and how fast it is going. Pivot always dominated me, I should really learn it just to get better at animation.

It's a tough concept but eventually you'll see what I mean. Once you start understanding how to make things look smooth and fluid you'll notice a pattern as to where limbs are placed relative to the onion skin.

As for keeping track of every limb, the simplest way to do this is to visualize yourself doing what your trying to animate. Lets say you really did get impaled by a flying stick thing and your body ripped in half. What would your legs be doing every frame. Would your knees try to bend, where would you point your toes. When they fall to the ground are you taking into account wind resistance?

Where would you put your arms? At your side or towards the injured area. Would you try to break your fall or are you completely limp.

Where would you be looking(where would you move your head).Even ask yourself how would you be bending your spine.

Starting with something as simple as a run cycle is a start, then having him transition to doing somthing else would be the logical next step. Knowing how you yourself would transition from one position to the next is somthing you need to study for yourself.

The main problem I have with fixing my mistakes is the timeline, it is really really basic and makes it hard to fix mistakes. Of course I was babied by the flash timeline, lol. One day I will be able to use pivot, right after easy toon, and then blender, then liveswif. All on a giant to-do list.

You gotta work with what your given. It's more of a foreign interface problem then anything. Your just not used to it.

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 7th, 2010 @ 02:19 PM Reply

Meh, I aimed for a short smooth animation, and this is what I crapped...

Intro of darkness then redness then whiteness.
My "art" :D

BBS Signature
ngmastah
ngmastah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 7th, 2010 @ 02:42 PM Reply

Yay! New Pivot thread, and some of the old members have come back! Now wheres Wolf? :c

PM me if you think I am good at MS paint. PMs: 9 Newest By:
darkspartan000 Siggy, made by ME :3

BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist

Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
narf
narf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 7th, 2010 @ 07:38 PM Reply

At 2/7/10 02:44 PM, killerrob wrote: Droidz.org has all the sicks and animations you would want to copy.

i strongly encourage no one use it. Grow some balls and make your own.

hijackreaper
hijackreaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 8th, 2010 @ 02:15 AM Reply

Yeah, but you have to admit, some of these guys have just started. We all used Droidz when we were noobs, except for you (because you're the smexiest stickmaker evar) so we shouldn't protest.

Hyprocisy is a cruel mistress.

BBS Signature
narf
narf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 8th, 2010 @ 09:38 AM Reply

At 2/8/10 02:15 AM, hijackreaper wrote: Yeah, but you have to admit, some of these guys have just started. We all used Droidz when we were noobs, except for you (because you're the smexiest stickmaker evar) so we shouldn't protest.

no because i've seen time and time again good animators rely on it too much. To the point where its not fun to watch any of their work because i've seen it all before.

RandomSanta
RandomSanta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 8th, 2010 @ 04:00 PM Reply

At 2/8/10 02:15 AM, hijackreaper wrote: Yeah, but you have to admit, some of these guys have just started. We all used Droidz when we were noobs, except for you (because you're the smexiest stickmaker evar) so we shouldn't protest.

I've never used Droidz before.

:)

duhidiot
duhidiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 8th, 2010 @ 04:01 PM Reply

no because i've seen time and time again good animators rely on it too much. To the point where its not fun to watch any of their work because i've seen it all before.

Tru dat.

Also, Minecraft

SSXorcist15
SSXorcist15
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 10th, 2010 @ 02:43 PM Reply

This thread. I nostalgia'd. HARD.

After I post this I am opening up pivot and animating. It's been far too long.

PSI ROCKIN GO

BBS Signature
narf
narf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 10th, 2010 @ 06:55 PM Reply

At 2/10/10 02:43 PM, SSXorcist15 wrote: This thread. I nostalgia'd. HARD.

After I post this I am opening up pivot and animating. It's been far too long.

lol has any of you guys seen ape? get his ass over here

Zyphonee
Zyphonee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 10th, 2010 @ 07:02 PM Reply

As much as I personally dislike stick animation, because I think it takes away all the life and attitude from your characters (which I have always considered to be THE most important thing a good animator must know), I must say, Narf, you make a wonderful job with Pivot, the motion looks beautiful for being stick figures and such a simple program. Keep at it if you'd like to, but I'd love to see you do something else, animate using your very own style of portraying life and action.

As for the rest of the pivot figures posted in this thread, ehhh...

narf
narf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 10th, 2010 @ 09:34 PM Reply

hey don't knock em. They're in their learning phases. Crawl before you can walk ya know? You'd say the same thing about some of my old stuff too.

Even im still learning. I've just gotten to the point where I'm comfortable enough that I can make most of my ideas come to life without too many issues or problems.

Least the posts so far are attempting improvement or showing a sense of knowledge in the field. Skim through the old threads and you'll see many that are just plain rotten and effortless.

Zyphonee
Zyphonee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 11th, 2010 @ 11:15 PM Reply

At 2/10/10 09:34 PM, narf109 wrote:

hey don't knock em. They're in their learning phases. Crawl before you can walk ya know? You'd say the same thing about some of my old stuff too.

No no,that's not what I meant, what I wanted to say is that they do seems to display some level of experience in capturing motion, and I personally believe that it seems like a good moment to move on.

Reading on my previous posts I can tell that I didn't make my statement even nearly clear, sorry if anyone felt offended or anything, it wasn't my intention D:

narf
narf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 12th, 2010 @ 12:40 AM Reply

No no,that's not what I meant, what I wanted to say is that they do seems to display some level of experience in capturing motion, and I personally believe that it seems like a good moment to move on.

Reading on my previous posts I can tell that I didn't make my statement even nearly clear, sorry if anyone felt offended or anything, it wasn't my intention D:

All good man, I'm just sensitive about how people talk about the other pivoters on here. Unfortunatly, we get miss judged all the time and it gets to the point where we just expect negative feedback about the program in general. My goal is to keep a positive influence. This has pretty much been my objective since forever.

You probably don't know, but I've been working with the majority of these guys for almost 2 years now. We've learned from each other and taught each other pretty much as much as we can and try to grow as a group. Were like family. This threads sort of turning into a reunion cause newgrounds is where it all started but once other newcomers are aware of this thread it'll probably get the amount of traffic it used to.

Many of the older pivot regs here have moved on. I don't touch pivot all the often anymore. There is a point where branching off is the only logical step, but it's still fun to go back and fool around with the program.

Also don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these guys don't deserve good criticism. That's what any animator should be looking for, and this is what the threads for. Criticism, inspiration, and learning. Best part is everyone can try it.

SSXorcist15
SSXorcist15
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 19th, 2010 @ 06:41 PM Reply

So to start breaking off the tons of rust that's undoubtedly accumulated over the years, I made something.

PSI ROCKIN GO

BBS Signature
hijackreaper
hijackreaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 20th, 2010 @ 11:21 AM Reply

Oh guess what another backflip.

What the fuck is with me and acrobatics.

BBS Signature
narf
narf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 20th, 2010 @ 01:54 PM Reply

both of those are pretty nice guys. i think SSX got better, or i just haven't seen his stuff in a while.

SSXorcist15
SSXorcist15
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Pivot Stick Figure Showcase!!! Feb. 27th, 2010 @ 04:31 PM Reply

Inspired by Hijack, Aidan set out to accomplish his dream for the moment: animating a guy doing a backflip.

And then falling over.

PSI ROCKIN GO

BBS Signature