Support NATA 2014
Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 07:55 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 07:44 PM, JAZZA wrote: also, i wanna ask a question.
when you post a reply or whatever, how do you make it so that you can link to a flash on NG and the whole image thing shows up? do u just post the raw link?

Yes you just post the raw link.

Example of just raw link:

Xcyper33
Xcyper33
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 03:56 AM Reply

Hey Jazza! I see you work with ZF ;) he's a great sound designer, he helped me get my 1st drawn animation to 4.00+! But anyways I have a couple of questions for you. It is about textures. How do you typically use textures on your background walls, floors, etc? What I was told is that you can get random PS textures from the internet and put them in your flashes. I can see that this can be a good idea but, is there anything I can do to enhance this method further?

Animator for hire. Check out the stuff I have on the portal and the forums. If you like something, send me a message.

BBS Signature
bl00db47h
bl00db47h
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 07:25 AM Reply

At 1/28/10 04:54 PM, lgnxhll wrote: you havnt ever eve released a flash of your own so when you animate the next waterlollies talk to me

Wow, really he was giving advice, and you just get angry at him. I think you know that it is hard to make a flash animation.

The Problems of the Future, by Everyone!

bl00db47h
bl00db47h
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 07:27 AM Reply

At 1/29/10 07:25 AM, bl00db47h wrote:
At 1/28/10 04:54 PM, lgnxhll wrote: you havnt ever eve released a flash of your own so when you animate the next waterlollies talk to me
Wow, really he was giving advice, and you just get angry at him. I think you know that it is hard to make a flash animation.

Sorry, didn't realize that was all the way on the 2nd page :P ignore.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 09:30 AM Reply

Thank you so much Jazza that helps a lot. I'll try it out as soon as possible.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 12:59 PM Reply

Sorry for the double post Jazza but I had to try out what you said I do with the inbewteens. So i did, I took what you said and made it possible. I know it has a lot of flaws but I'm actually happy. You helped me a lot.

Enough with the chit chat here it is.

It's only a wireframe for now but I plan to add a character to it as soon as it's refined.

Since this is an asking thread I might as well as something, Does it look ok? What can I fix? It's animated in 24fps is that good or what other speed do you recommend?

Hope you like it and again, thank you so much.

JakBaronKing
JakBaronKing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Art Lover
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 01:04 PM Reply

Do you feel pressured as an artist when it comes to creating violence, profanity, nudity, etc. Because I understand Australia has some pretty strict rules about censorship.

I felt that your newest series - LARRY - takes a new turn on heros with a bit of a necrophiliac lust to be quite profound even coming form you.

Even as an independent artist, living in Australia, do the laws of censorship apply to individuals who post stuff online?

Do you care if you can't draw profound images that make Catholic nuns shutter in fear?

*(You do realize I'm being completely sarcastic - but you catch my drift)

But my biggest turn off is the L4D game censorship in Australia.

How do you feel about the censorship and if it applies to you as well?

doondeka
doondeka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 02:18 PM Reply

At 1/26/10 05:08 PM, Twilight wrote: What should a beginner start on first, Animation wise?

flash 8 and anything above is great, but if your just trying to start out, i sudjest you buy seomthing form amazon or ebay, thats a alot cheaper and when you are ready you can buy the upgrade. or there is also a website where you can buy these programs for 80% off!

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 03:07 PM Reply

Not a flash question but how's it feel being so popular?

BBS Signature
Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 06:15 PM Reply

At 1/29/10 03:56 AM, Xcyper33 wrote: Hey Jazza! I see you work with ZF ;) he's a great sound designer, he helped me get my 1st drawn animation to 4.00+! But anyways I have a couple of questions for you. It is about textures. How do you typically use textures on your background walls, floors, etc? What I was told is that you can get random PS textures from the internet and put them in your flashes. I can see that this can be a good idea but, is there anything I can do to enhance this method further?

yeah, zach is the MAN. when i came back from my mission i had no sounds and the thought of starting from the ground up scared the hell outta me. i asked on the forums for sounds and he popped up and gave me whatever i wanted, then i started to hire him to do it all for me and i've never looked back! it's great.

anyhow, as to your question! TEXTURES!! well, whenever i use detailed textures in photoshop i do the whole thing in there. if i've designed a level i want to have that effect of realism, i'll do the whole thing on photoshop then just import it as a background image for whatever game or animation i'm working on.

if i want a vector texture like stones or wood, i'll draw it up and repeat it manually, and apply a perspective effect using the free transform tool, and skewing, and applying perspective pinches, holding SHIFT while clicking and dragging a corner.

in the current episode of larry i'm working on, theres two normans wearing armored mail shirts, and rather then hand drawing all of that i imported a small image and painted it as a fill in their shirt so apply the texture, so i can FBF animate them as normal and just paint in the detailed texture :)

example below, they're the dudes on the right.

Jazza AMA

follow me: TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 06:29 PM Reply

wow good question!!
well i honestly don't feel it applies to me. sounds rude but, i'm the type of person who will never put a swear word or major sex inuendo in a flash, i dont see it as nessecary and people get that everywhere they go anyway, so i 'just say no'. as for random shock value that makes people want to vomit, i do enjoy it, and i think it's the kick i get out of knowing they have NO idea whats coming. theres a few in larry one, and a few in the one i'm working on.

also censorship doesnt apply in my case because while i produce the content int australia, the internet has not borders and while australian law can sensor what goes in the shops, they can not stop what is downloaded so if people want the full gore L4D then they can. same with my content. my bigest audiences are in america and brazil. dont ask why. i don't. :)

At 1/29/10 01:04 PM, JakBaronKing wrote: Do you feel pressured as an artist when it comes to creating violence, profanity, nudity, etc. Because I understand Australia has some pretty strict rules about censorship.

I felt that your newest series - LARRY - takes a new turn on heros with a bit of a necrophiliac lust to be quite profound even coming form you.

Even as an independent artist, living in Australia, do the laws of censorship apply to individuals who post stuff online?

Do you care if you can't draw profound images that make Catholic nuns shutter in fear?

*(You do realize I'm being completely sarcastic - but you catch my drift)

But my biggest turn off is the L4D game censorship in Australia.

How do you feel about the censorship and if it applies to you as well?

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 06:31 PM Reply

At 1/29/10 03:07 PM, AIRYman50 wrote: Not a flash question but how's it feel being so popular?

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED????!!!

lol jk. you know what? i came to NG 6 years ago as a nothing, and i felt part of an exciting community where i was out-arted by so many brilliant people.

i still feel exactly the same.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 07:48 PM Reply

Do you use onion skinning in flash and or would you recommend it?

Joshsouza
Joshsouza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 08:05 PM Reply

Hey Jazza, I want to get flash for my birthday next friday but my parents said that flash is too expensive. What is a good flash version for the lowest price? I wanna make stuff for my website and make games!

Need a Review? Go to Review Request Club

Also please look at my art!

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 09:28 PM Reply

At 1/29/10 07:48 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Do you use onion skinning in flash and or would you recommend it?

YEEESSSS
if your doing frame by frame animation, you can not survive without it. even in tweening and just doing art, it is essential. not only do i recommend it but i'd say if ur animating without it your hardly animating. you know how you see those traditional animators use the ol flip the pages thing to see how it looks in motion? onion skin essentially does the same thing without all that pesky effort.

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 09:32 PM Reply

At 1/29/10 08:05 PM, Joshsouza wrote: Hey Jazza, I want to get flash for my birthday next friday but my parents said that flash is too expensive. What is a good flash version for the lowest price? I wanna make stuff for my website and make games!

ok, well the best thing to do for now is get the trial version, it lasts a month so you get pleanty of time to see if flash is really something you think is worth it. then what you can do it ebay adobe flash and get an older version for a decent price. try not to pirate it it you can help it. i confess, i started out on a pirate version for the same reason but the point is it you can buy it and use it, buy it.

be a good boy :)

bl00db47h
bl00db47h
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 09:52 PM Reply

At 1/29/10 09:32 PM, JAZZA wrote: i confess, i started out on a pirate version for the same reason

Oooh, I'm telling on you >:(

Anyway flash question. I've had a problem with flash where some of the sounds are perfectly fine when I export it, then some of them sound all tinny or like they were recorded at the far end of the room from the mic.

Have you had experience where some sounds are normal, some aren't? If so, what do you do?

Archangel-X
Archangel-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 10:33 PM Reply

whats a good "base" to start an animation with?
The way ive been doing it:
1 make a layer with loose stick men, do the entire animation like that
2 make a new layer and "fill out" the stick men (this is what i did for the last ani i made with was mostly fbf)
3 make a clone of the animation layer and color it in (that way i dont have to worry about messing up the animation layer)
4 make a new layer for shadows, highlights ect
The thing is i have no idea how to layout stuff to begin with, that's the way that makes the most sense to me but id like to know if theres a "right" way

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 11:12 PM Reply

At 1/29/10 09:52 PM, bl00db47h wrote:
At 1/29/10 09:32 PM, JAZZA wrote: i confess, i started out on a pirate version for the same reason
Oooh, I'm telling on you >:(

Anyway flash question. I've had a problem with flash where some of the sounds are perfectly fine when I export it, then some of them sound all tinny or like they were recorded at the far end of the room from the mic.

Have you had experience where some sounds are normal, some aren't? If so, what do you do?

ok, go file, publish options and go to the flash tabs. your gonna want to change the stream and event audio qualities to be the same, and around 60 or more. that should do it :)

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 11:14 PM Reply

At 1/29/10 10:33 PM, Archangel-X wrote: whats a good "base" to start an animation with?
The way ive been doing it:
1 make a layer with loose stick men, do the entire animation like that
2 make a new layer and "fill out" the stick men (this is what i did for the last ani i made with was mostly fbf)
3 make a clone of the animation layer and color it in (that way i dont have to worry about messing up the animation layer)
4 make a new layer for shadows, highlights ect
The thing is i have no idea how to layout stuff to begin with, that's the way that makes the most sense to me but id like to know if theres a "right" way

well if it works for you then go for it! everyone develops their own techniquie. mine is very different. i have some background layers, animation layer and sound layer, but the animation layers are only ever graphics, inside thoe graphics, one for each character, there are layers for the body parts and head, and the head is a graphic. inside the head graphic i animate the mouth and expressions, the go back and animate the whole body and animated head, then go back into the main scene and move them around as nessecary :)

that probably didnt make any sense to a lot of people :)

RayBradbury
RayBradbury
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 12:49 AM Reply

What do you think of the film "The Mission"???

Xcyper33
Xcyper33
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 12:51 AM Reply

Thanks Jazza for answering my question! Ok so you manually create the 'pattern' for the texture through Photoshop? And then you put it on flash and convert it into a fill?

Animator for hire. Check out the stuff I have on the portal and the forums. If you like something, send me a message.

BBS Signature
PuffballsUnited
PuffballsUnited
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Animator
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 04:03 AM Reply

At 1/29/10 11:14 PM, JAZZA wrote: that probably didnt make any sense to a lot of people :)

It made sense to me! :D That's about how I do it too!

I have a Twitter that I link to everywhere. ;)
Steam ID: PuffballsUnited

BBS Signature
Vladith
Vladith
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 09:50 AM Reply

Jazza, is there anywhere to get the CS3 trial? I've found the trial for CS4, but I've heard that CS3 is better.

lgnxhll
lgnxhll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Filmmaker
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 01:28 PM Reply

At 1/30/10 09:50 AM, Vladith wrote: Jazza, is there anywhere to get the CS3 trial? I've found the trial for CS4, but I've heard that CS3 is better.

PFFT cs4 has more and its full version has student and or other discounts

need programmers for game. pm me if your interested.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 01:37 PM Reply

At 1/30/10 01:28 PM, lgnxhll wrote:
At 1/30/10 09:50 AM, Vladith wrote: Jazza, is there anywhere to get the CS3 trial? I've found the trial for CS4, but I've heard that CS3 is better.

well CS3 is a lot more stable and quick to boot , the only things an animator would miss is the 3D and (maybe) bones but i havent seen an armature animation in like a year

innermike // dreamlikepixels // twitter // Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
Bubbowrap
Bubbowrap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 01:45 PM Reply

I messed around with CS4 for a bit, but only found the 3D tool to be of any use. The bones were very glitchy when I used them, but that was a good year ago. I'm sure they've fixed it since then, but I'll wait to see what features CS5 have. May not even upgrade until CS6 :P

Questions for Jazza. Hm.

- How do you sit down and animate? Like, I don't know, I lose interest within an hour or two and ultimately get very little done. Just wondering what your main motivation is.

Uh, wow. That's about it.

lgnxhll
lgnxhll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Filmmaker
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 01:58 PM Reply

At 1/30/10 01:37 PM, HDXmike wrote:
well CS3 is a lot more stable and quick to boot , the only things an animator would miss is the 3D and (maybe) bones but i havent seen an armature animation in like a year

CS4 has a few extras that cs3 doesent and it is one of the newest so you can down scale its formats for collabs easily.
I honestly think that cs4 is more flexible to your needs and has a good xml feature.

need programmers for game. pm me if your interested.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 02:12 PM Reply

At 1/30/10 01:58 PM, lgnxhll wrote:
At 1/30/10 01:37 PM, HDXmike wrote:
CS4 has a few extras that cs3 doesent and it is one of the newest so you can down scale its formats for collabs easily.
I honestly think that cs4 is more flexible to your needs and has a good xml feature.

did you even read my post ? did you , really ? i have CS4 CS3 and flash 8 , i know the difference and how do you know HIS needs ? CS4 is a script orientated update and i pointed out the only 2 really useful added tools for an animator, xml feature ? are you kidding ? who cares about the xml when animating , and what would you know about xml anyway ?

innermike // dreamlikepixels // twitter // Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
MelodramaProductions
MelodramaProductions
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 02:29 PM Reply

On average, how many hours a day do you put into animation?