Kajenx
Kajenx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 08:27 PM Reply

*pokes thread*

I'm not sure if I'm spozed to put in my $0.02, but I can relate to falz3333 question. Flash is NOT good for sketching or drawing freehand, which can make FBF animating a bitch. There a program called "Plastic Animation Paper" that aims to bridge this gap. It has a free version that's very basic (just drawing lines), but the drawing tool they give you is so elegant it works amazing for the "pencil test" stage. It's about the closest I've felt to drawing on paper on the computer. Then you can just export the frames to jpegs, import to flash, and trace them zoomed in for cleanup. I haven't used it for anything I've published yet, but I did some quick tests with it and I liked it a lot. It IS limited, though, so I'd only use it to block things out.

</toe stepping>

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 08:38 PM Reply

At 1/26/10 08:17 PM, Spaghetti14 wrote: Well I just made a seperate thread about it, but I bet it would be good to ask here - how do you get over the overwhelmingness of the program itself? Is it just practice? It's just that I don't really know where to start, because there are so many layers and I don't really know how to do all that much.
Here's the animation I made, and it was confusing looking enough, i'll include a link to what the timeline looks like (probably pretty tame for an experienced flash artist) but to me, it's really complex.

use short layers to fitmore and possibly folders layers you dont frequently use , it tidys up and saves valuable screen real estate

sorry for stealing the spotlight JAZZA , i joke i joke :)

innermike // dreamlikepixels // twitter // Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 08:43 PM Reply

At 1/26/10 08:17 PM, Spaghetti14 wrote: Well I just made a seperate thread about it, but I bet it would be good to ask here - how do you get over the overwhelmingness of the program itself? Is it just practice? It's just that I don't really know where to start, because there are so many layers and I don't really know how to do all that much.
Here's the animation I made, and it was confusing looking enough, i'll include a link to what the timeline looks like (probably pretty tame for an experienced flash artist) but to me, it's really complex.

there is only one answer to that. practice.

i know where you're coming from. the program was completely scary and BIG when i started, and remained so for as few years. it just takes time, and you get to know it bit by bit. now flash is second nature and home away from home. i watch movies while i animate because it's all subconscious now lol.

follow me: TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Snow-Fox
Snow-Fox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 12:07 AM Reply

Do you storyboard all of your animations? If so, what is your personal process? If not, how do you time key points right? (process of trial and error?)

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 12:19 AM Reply

how did you get so sexy?

(sorry for trolling..)

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 12:45 AM Reply

At 1/27/10 12:07 AM, Snow-Fox wrote: Do you storyboard all of your animations? If so, what is your personal process? If not, how do you time key points right? (process of trial and error?)

i used to, with animations like the paladin series and the composer, but lately i've had it all scripted and imagined pretty well, and before i animate i spend two days of each production week preparing backgrounds and character positions, which could almost be considered as an equivalent.

as for timing, it is a BIG deal. the more you do this stuff the more you realise every frame counts. i get so picky sometimes i find myself debating a 2-3 frame gap and if its worth keeping or not. best way to work it all out is to have the sound all done, IE voices and what not, then i lay them out in flash and space them as i imagine conversations taking place, then i sketch thew backgrounds in, and if it feels natural when i play it back, i go ahead and make it!

great question by the way.

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 02:18 AM Reply

At 1/27/10 12:19 AM, ZStriefel wrote: how did you get so sexy?

(sorry for trolling..)

i'm your baby. that's why.

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 05:07 AM Reply

You said you usually zoom in when you draw. How do you make sure you get the poportions and perspective correct when you can only see part of the character on screen? I usually zoom out to see everything wrong. Do you do a quick sketch first while zoomed out? is it just practice? thank-you

x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 05:25 AM Reply

two questions

how do you get the music to sync with lip syncing properly in flash..? and what do you do to start a large project..?

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 05:59 AM Reply

At 1/27/10 05:07 AM, CloudEater wrote: You said you usually zoom in when you draw. How do you make sure you get the poportions and perspective correct when you can only see part of the character on screen? I usually zoom out to see everything wrong. Do you do a quick sketch first while zoomed out? is it just practice? thank-you

your guess is right. i do two layers, a lower layer in grey for a sketch, zoomed out, to get proportions right, then zoom in and draw on the layer above to draw.

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 06:02 AM Reply

At 1/27/10 05:25 AM, x-factor11 wrote: two questions

how do you get the music to sync with lip syncing properly in flash..? and what do you do to start a large project..?

good questions.
when you have the music or audio file placed into a frame in the file, click on it and open properties and set what is usually set on default as event, to stream. that way it will be in time with the frames of the animation and you can sync it while you animate.

as for starting a LARGE project, these are the steps condensed:
1-idea & delusions of grandeur and success
2-script
3-storyboards
4-record voices
5-ANIMATE
6-work with sound effects and music
7-publish and ensire reasonable file size
8-submit
9-cry over un reached expectations
10-start all over again

TripleDK
TripleDK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 11:17 AM Reply

At 1/27/10 06:02 AM, JAZZA wrote:
as for starting a LARGE project, these are the steps condensed:
1-idea & delusions of grandeur and success
2-script
3-storyboards
4-record voices
5-ANIMATE
6-work with sound effects and music
7-publish and ensire reasonable file size
8-submit
9-cry over un reached expectations
10-start all over again

You forgot profit :/

jk

BBS Signature
Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 04:09 PM Reply

any help answering this one?

"I'm here to ask for some help on how to program the Save / Load as many animations has been using.
After all, as the projects are becoming too big, they begin to need the Save and Load, so we can stop and then return the same location."

i got it in a PM and i dont really know what he means. anyone here from brazin who knows how to back translate to your native language... then re translate properly? lol

bl00db47h
bl00db47h
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 04:15 PM Reply

I think he means saving a game, and loading the point you were at :P

The Problems of the Future, by Everyone!

lgnxhll
lgnxhll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Filmmaker
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 05:05 PM Reply

jazza WHere could i find a good programmer that will take my art
and how can i better my animation to the ppoint where more people will pay attention to me

need programmers for game. pm me if your interested.

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 05:54 PM Reply

At 1/27/10 05:05 PM, lgnxhll wrote: jazza WHere could i find a good programmer that will take my art
and how can i better my animation to the ppoint where more people will pay attention to me

to your first question, scour the forums, PM some coders and show them your abilities, and if worst comes to wort, learn some actionscript yourself! if the Swain can do it, you can too :)

to your second question, it takes time and imagination. it's not JUST the art people look at its the entertainment they get from it. weebl and bob are examples of extremely simplistic art with a unique style and big following. work your noggin and you'll get noticed :)

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 02:10 PM Reply

Thanks Jazza for making this thread, it is greatly appreciated and I think this is the exact thin people need to get motivated and animated. Thanks.

Well Jazza I'm a big fan of you work and I wanted to ask you somethings, I may ask more things later.

Question #1
How do you get all colors of the animation to look good with each other like in your animations? What exactly do you have to keep in mind when choosing colors?

Question #2
I'm a FBF animator like most people but I'm still learning and I'm having a little trouble with getting fluent moves in the character, so the question is how do I make things more smooth what can I do to make it feel natural, I've heard about in-betweens but how do I do them properly?

Hope you can answer my questions and keep up the amazing work Jazza.

Vladith
Vladith
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 02:43 PM Reply

Don't diss yourself, bro. You're certainly in the top 10 at NewGrounds. The Composer is beautiful and Paladin is amazing, even the early ones.

I have one question: How long does it usually take to make a five-minute flash film?

lgnxhll
lgnxhll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Filmmaker
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 04:34 PM Reply

At 1/27/10 05:54 PM, JAZZA wrote:
At 1/27/10 05:05 PM, lgnxhll wrote: jazza WHere could i find a good programmer that will take my art
to your first question, scour the forums, PM some coders and show them your abilities, and if worst comes to wort, learn some actionscript yourself! if the Swain can do it, you can too :)

to your second question, it takes time and imagination. it's not JUST the art people look at its the entertainment they get from it. weebl and bob are examples of extremely simplistic art with a unique style and big following. work your noggin and you'll get noticed :)

thanks jazza but i did this and people still dispies my cute simplistic yet interesting characters

example of my underapreciated art

Anyway ill try to pm some people but what should i tell them to make a good impression

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 04:44 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 04:34 PM, lgnxhll wrote: interesting

How so , there is no real backing or character to the character , its just like modern art , pointless , you COULD spend your time getting good but instead you prance around saying your awesome and noone appreciates it

innermike // dreamlikepixels // twitter // Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
lgnxhll
lgnxhll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Filmmaker
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 04:54 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 04:44 PM, HDXmike wrote:
At 1/28/10 04:34 PM, lgnxhll wrote: interesting
How so , there is no real backing or character to the character , its just like modern art , pointless , you COULD spend your time getting good but instead you prance around saying your awesome and noone appreciates it

you havnt ever eve released a flash of your own so when you animate the next waterlollies talk to me

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 04:57 PM Reply

I AM UNAPPRECIATED!

Jazza AMA

lgnxhll
lgnxhll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Filmmaker
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 05:04 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 04:57 PM, Mexifry wrote: I AM UNAPPRECIATED!

Yeah thats my art...

Its really not very bad so um what do you mean.

I mean will you gimme some advice here mexifry cause you are also a pretty sweet animator?

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 05:12 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 05:04 PM, lgnxhll wrote: Yeah thats my art...

Its really not very bad so um what do you mean.

I mean will you gimme some advice here mexifry cause you are also a pretty sweet animator?

1. Don't act like you are the shit. 99% of the animators on this site, including myself, have little to no real talent at all in comparison to the real world of animation. Plus people like it when you are humble in life and that is the same on the internet. Doesn't mean you cannot critique other people for their works, just keep in mind realistically your own skill level.

2. Draw everyday. Draw everything you see. Im still very crude in my artwork, but I get better every time I draw. Loads of great artists have told me, when it comes to animation, "Learn the rules first before you break em."

3. If you need help with the mechanics of animation itself, I'd definitely recommend buying the book "Animator's Survival Kit". It has helped me volumes ever since I started reading it. It's very clear to understand and has some great exercises to practice. And it's only like $20 on Amazon.

I hope that helps!

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 05:19 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 05:12 PM, Mexifry wrote: 1. Don't act like you are the shit. 99% of the animators on this site, including myself, have little to no real talent at all in comparison to the real world of animation. Plus people like it when you are humble in life and that is the same on the internet.

I love mexrify so very much

sorry about that JAZZA :)

BBS Signature
Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 05:52 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 05:19 PM, HDXmike wrote: I love mexrify so very much

Oh you. ;)

lgnxhll
lgnxhll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Filmmaker
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 05:54 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 05:19 PM, HDXmike wrote:
At 1/28/10 05:12 PM, Mexifry wrote: 1. Don't act like you are the shit. 99% of the animators on this site, including myself, have little to no real talent at all in comparison to the real world of animation. Plus people like it when you are humble in life and that is the same on the internet.
I love mexrify so very much

see i try too be the good guy and this guy just critiques me he post on everythread i make

lgnxhll
lgnxhll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Filmmaker
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 05:57 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 05:05 PM, Twilight wrote:
At 1/28/10 04:57 PM, Mexifry wrote: I AM UNAPPRECIATED!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/52 2361

yeah i made that one real quick so i could submit something for a super hero competition at my school i figured why not a tutorial and

• I'm Yours.
    I'm Yours. by Twilight

Click to view.

Type
    Movie
    Rated
    Everyone

.30 (about) lower than my tut

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 07:40 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 02:10 PM, Mabelma wrote: Thanks Jazza for making this thread, it is greatly appreciated and I think this is the exact thin people need to get motivated and animated. Thanks.

Well Jazza I'm a big fan of you work and I wanted to ask you somethings, I may ask more things later.

Question #1
How do you get all colors of the animation to look good with each other like in your animations? What exactly do you have to keep in mind when choosing colors?

Question #2
I'm a FBF animator like most people but I'm still learning and I'm having a little trouble with getting fluent moves in the character, so the question is how do I make things more smooth what can I do to make it feel natural, I've heard about in-betweens but how do I do them properly?

Hope you can answer my questions and keep up the amazing work Jazza.

great questions, and thanks for all the props!

answer 1:
well i guess it's all part of developing an eye for these things, but if i were to give tips i'd say, don't go the strong colors. when i pick a color, say red, it can be easy for the inexperienced to pick that preset color. yuck. dim all of them down a bit, and add two layers of shade, a darker for the shadow and normal for the rest.

answer 2:
ok, inbetweens are exactly what help here. how it works is say you have a character you want to animate at 30 FPS jumping in the air. frame 1 you would draw the normal stance, frame 5 draw a crouch/brace, frame 10 a leaping pose and frame 15-20 in the air. they are what you call the key frames. with the onionskin tool selected (expanded to one frame each side) blank a keyframe between them and draw what fits! too easy! the animation sorts itself out.

Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Jazza AMA Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 07:44 PM Reply

VLADITH said:
"How long does it usually take to make a five-minute flash film?"

answer, depends on the production. something like dad's home could take a few weeks, something like tarboy could take a year. myself on average howerver, i tend to take 2-3 months from start to finish.

also, i wanna ask a question.
when you post a reply or whatever, how do you make it so that you can link to a flash on NG and the whole image thing shows up? do u just post the raw link?