DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2015-02-04 03:54:29 Reply

At 2/3/15 07:31 PM, TaintedLogic wrote:
At 2/3/15 02:24 AM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
Awesome, man! How'd you get into writing?

Yeah, dude, same here. I got into in school. I always enjoyed writing essays and deconstructing and analyzing and thinking about stuff. I had to write a ton of stuff in high school (IB) and I hated all the work, but appreciated all the stuff I learned. That's why I like reviewing stories rather than writing them. However, I do write as a form of expression and a contribution to Art, and also because it helps me understand writing better. Reading, 'riting, reviewing. The three perfect R's. Literature ftw!

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2015-02-04 16:38:20 Reply

Also, I'm thinking about bring back the writing contests. I saw that there have been people on this forum that want to contribute but gave up due to the lack of traffic. I think if these types can band together and stick around (forming a group of "regulars" of about 5-7 people) who frequently participate on the forum and its activities, the forum can go from being lifeless to kind-of-alive. Hey--it's something. Monthly writings contests (MWCs) were pretty popular like 1-3 years ago.

Anyway, the writing contest would go like this: every month, a prompt is given (could be a motif, theme, or format) and people have a month of write, edit, and submit. At the end of the month, I (and maybe some other judges if we have enough people) read and rank each story (on a four-star scale).

For now, while the revival is starting, the prize is going have to be satisfaction and pride. However, down the line, a nice $10 gift will go to the winner. Although, for extra encouragement I think an extra half star will be awarded for next contests (a half star have separated winners before).

I think that for this month. A 2 week contest will suffice since it seems like it will be a small affair. Since it's February, romance seems like a likely thematic idea....

Anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and start up this idea. If you want to participate please say so, so I can keep a tally of how many people will join. If there are like 7-10 people committed, I'll start it that day, but until then I'm think of starting MWC 0 on the 15th.

Mark your calendars!

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
TaintedLogic
TaintedLogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2015-02-06 22:40:00 (edited 2015-02-06 22:40:10) Reply

At 2/4/15 04:38 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: Also, I'm thinking about bring back the writing contests.

I want to join, but my unpredictable school schedule might get in the way. :/ Could you put me down as a maybe, please? :)

"Knowledge is freedom; guilt is knowledge; freedom is guilt." --- "I hate logic; it must die." --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature
Babmen69
Babmen69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2015-02-07 10:42:47 Reply

"Renewal for The Machine"- A short story by Babmen

Flie 1

9/26/09

Why are they doing this to me? I thought They loved me, and yet if I stop to take a Break They will End me.
Is This what Happend to N-22.ex? No It can't be,Please tell me it's not.... Please.

9/27/09

Still moving and wondering ... why? How could They do this, why would they do this! So many Qestions but no answers.
N-22.ex, Will I see you soon?

9/-'/01010

011000111111';.,/????!32456o?'][;=====-<<<>>>>\\||sdvafgfvvvvvv~~`````````````,.//.,;'''';;[][][][]]-=[]-=[]-=[].
ERROR DATA CORRUPT

10/01/09

The fight was astonishing,an arm was lost,and the humans Sufferd.But is revenge the right thing, one of the many
Qestions I tell my wire filled computer.

10/02/09

I'm very lonely now.I need to rest, but will the humans come for Me?

10/03/09

Is this what humans feel? If so how to they feel when they die, is this it? Should I have let them suffer?
Is this what they call saddness?

10/04/09

I am metal.I am Wires.I am Tv.I am Remote.I am Telephone.I am Table labtop.I am Computer.I am nothing.

10/05/09

Must rest now. But can't.Must... Keep... Moving!

10/06/09

Humans........Fast........Cut........Bullet........Death.

10/08/09

Two day has past. One day ago I rested,no to travel on ward to...... What exacly?

10/09/09

What an I seeking,Is it my Sanity or my Insanity. Is it life or death?

10/10/09

The metal Part of me Wants to give up, But the Dare I say Human part of me Wants revegne and Happiness.

10/11/09

This Could be The Last Data Log I make, But now I Understand. Its my renewal,They call it "The Renewal For The Machine".
I'm I a The,That I will never understand.

End Of Flie 1.

saucybird
saucybird
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2015-02-07 18:04:47 (edited 2015-02-07 18:05:26) Reply

uhhhhhh my name is jonny and i've been writing since i was like.......13? (∪ ◡ ∪)

I'm 21 now and i've written lyrics, scripts, poems, short stories, standup jokes, html code (idk if that counts but I do it LOL), biographies, bibliographies, 1 book (with the help of like 4-5 other friends), pilots, you name it I've probably done it at some point or another. Writing is an escape for me and always has been and I hope i can make a career out of it doing something i can continue over the course of yeeeeeaaaarrs

Red-Halo
Red-Halo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2015-02-09 21:14:48 Reply

Sure, I'll join a writing contest. :)

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2015-02-10 13:00:36 Reply

I'd judge some writing contests for sure, but probably wouldn't be into writing for them. I've read some amazing originals in all of the old contests I judged here.

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2015-02-10 21:33:00 Reply

At 2/6/15 10:40 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: I want to join, but my unpredictable school schedule might get in the way. :/ Could you put me down as a maybe, please? :)

Well that sucks but 2 weeks is plenty of time for a short short story (micro fiction). As soon as you have an idea, hang on to it! Just throw it on paper and spend the rest of the time editing. I think you can knock out a 3k short story with 1 hour of writing and an hour of editing. Here's a hint for you (plus to whomever is reading): the two main criteria will be 1)romance and 2) a heart motif. Start thinking about your story now.

At 2/9/15 09:14 PM, Red-Halo wrote: Sure, I'll join a writing contest. :)

Sweet. I'm thinking of giving all participants an extra half-point for future contests to encourage participation.

At 2/10/15 01:00 PM, Fro wrote: I'd judge some writing contests for sure, but probably wouldn't be into writing for them. I've read some amazing originals in all of the old contests I judged here.

Also sweet. I'll put you down for it, man. Since there's more than one judge, I'll also offer to give some criticism on the side, although I encourage peer-review.

I have the MWC all but posted. I'm waiting to post it on Saturday morning. It will follow the format of the old contests pretty much (must be posted in the official thread, must abide by word limit, must follow prompt, etc). I'm also reducing word limit to 3.5k and disallowing fan fiction.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2015-02-12 21:26:12 Reply

At 2/10/15 09:33 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
Also sweet. I'll put you down for it, man. Since there's more than one judge, I'll also offer to give some criticism on the side, although I encourage peer-review.

I have the MWC all but posted. I'm waiting to post it on Saturday morning. It will follow the format of the old contests pretty much (must be posted in the official thread, must abide by word limit, must follow prompt, etc). I'm also reducing word limit to 3.5k and disallowing fan fiction.

Nice, I may have to dig out my computer then. Most of my interneting is done via iPad now, and my daughter broke my iPad keyboard about a year ago. I'll be digging it out of the closet and wiping off the cobwebs. Looking forward to reading everyone's writing!

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2015-05-21 08:15:45 Reply

Here soon my girlfriend and daughter go out of the country for over a month. I'm really interested in doing something different for this month or at least a part of it. I won't get to many chances in my life where my responsibilities aren't to my family. I was kind of thinking of living homeless for the month and writing about it. I would still go to work since being homeless doesn't mean you don't have money or a way of supporting yourself. For some reason I really have an interest in mostly living off the grid and just seeing how freeing it would be. Would anyone be interested in that or should I do something else like fight crime and write about being a vigilante?

last part was a slight joke

BBS Signature