Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-27 18:14:59 Reply

At 7/25/13 10:01 PM, Blue-SilverDragon wrote:
At 7/25/13 08:28 AM, Coop wrote: Ah, backstory and so forth? That really does help in the world of what has happened to the characters in the past, so that you can take their current story forward.
Yeah. The augmentation of a backstory into a character- how they think/reason, work, etc- is something I'm becoming increasingly interested in, both as a reader and as a writer. Of course, creating a broad backstory requires broad, well developed characters, as well as 'simple' characters, in addtion the other major factors in the story itself.

Some characters don't initially need to be known about, but as a writer, it may prove that as your work progresses, you may need to hold fire, write the backstory of one of the characters, who until this point was an "extra" and then continue, as without a few key bits of information about who you're involving, even from the side lines, you may project a blinkered storyline.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-27 21:54:45 Reply

This entire post is just me talking and asking a million questions.

Does anyone ever feel soul-crushed by the weight of available information at our fingertips at this very moment? I could spend the rest of my life just soaking up the knowledge of the world, through whatever medium (be it books, what have you) and never create a damn thing.

I often lament on my wasted time and in effect end up over-analyzing myself and wasting more time. Is it wrong to view one's available recreational hobby as "precious"?

Does anyone here believe in that pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo involving 10,000 hours of practice makes one proficient? I've always considered it a gross-over estimation in an attempt to be vague and precise, but still can't shake it's validity.

What eats at me most, and stays my hand when I begin to type, is - hmmm

Does anyone slip into droughts of depression, in terms of writing? What I mean is... is it illogical to not want to write if it won't be remembered hundreds of years from now? Of course, at the start of your "career" or -journey of the quill- you still have much to learn to reach such levels, but where do people find the drive... or inspiration to continue? Is it merely the pride through one's accomplishments? The desire to better yourself in literature? Could it be so simple...

When you look through the hall of the "greats" the field of choice doesn't matter, they all share a common trait. They all started at a very young age. It's a sort of mysticism that's begun to surround artists, that at a young age even if they didn't know that was their path, they were compelled my some unknown force to create; beauty chose them to be its creator and they followed wistfully in its wake. Am I and others handicapped by default? It would seem luck and nature are working against me.

Then there's the matter of life experience to grow ideas, by which I have very little in comparison to some. Can imagination simulate events or experiences through an authors telling? Are authentic first hand and second hand even comparable? How can you sit down to write when you've never stood up to live? That may have come off as superfluous, but is always a lingering thought of mine. Do you have to live events that are analogous to the subject of your material, in turn tying your work in with reality? ... I suppose history contradicts my statement.

This is ignoring Fiction of course.

Another topic I'd like to touch on is how we're ever evolving. Let me explain, you see we're (by we're I mean college students) introduced to material that was cutting edge not that many years ago. Over time, with each passing decade and soon to be century we as (knowledge sponges essentially) have more and more catching up to do, before we can apply what we know to advance ourselves in some way or form as a species. Be it Mathematics, Philosophy, so on.

Will we hit a snag? A point in which the time span to teach a person all of humanities repertoire in a given subject will overcome the usefulness of their input?

Practice leads to mastery, genetics give a person a head-start. Will only prodigies have a place in society in the distant future? My imposed questions float about meaningless if we continue down the destructive path we're on anyway. Mark my words, we will be our own undoing, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. I ramble...

Anyways, i know and understand that making millions off book sales and becoming internationally famous/beloved doesn't equate to being successful. Being published just seems like such a distant goal that it's difficult to get out of bed in the morning. Can anyone relate this sentiment? People also have a nasty habit of luring you into a false sense of security, mostly by lying to you and complimenting where it has no place. No doubt making them feel warm and cozy inside and boosting your self-esteem, but it's not REAL. This is one area this place (by that I mean this forum) has no troubles, the advice and critiques found here may or may not be accurate, but atleast it's honest. Having reality slap you in the face is not a fun time. People seem to love hyperbole when dishing out non critical compliments these days and it's because no one gives a horse's ass about hard work; only natural talent.

Welcome to Generation Narcissus. Everyone dies alone.

I'm almost finished and I applaud you if you made it this far. Can one attain wisdom without reading? Are the two synonymous? Do you need to gain perspective on other's to become educated to the point that you can make rational decisions and create something worth offering to the world?

Mood and your emotions transcribe themselves to every facet that you touch. Do sad people with conflict in their lives lead to superior content, as opposed to happy people? Hardships are relative and a hypothetical ordinary life is difficult to describe, but I hope you understand the gist of my question.

Perception intercedes between reality and ourselves. When we interpret events before us, the imagination is engaged. Can we ever have access to objective knowledge of reality? Does one's mundane day to day upkeep influence our perception? This isn't a very radical stance (albeit perhaps nonsensical, but I'll say it anyway) but perception -as defined by the organization of sensory information- and imagination are closely related when it comes times to spill ideas. They're like a married couple. A person's "world-view" is the catalyst by which they create and articulate their message, what scale do other's have to grade someone on the worth of their writing?

I ask as many questions as a five year old to a parent I'm sure.

If our works we wish to relay to the world lack the grandiose magnitude of say ... Harry Potter or The Shining or something along those lines, does it have literary merit in this ever strong competition to be heard? We're always striving to attain our Magnum Opus, but I can't help but wonder if it'll all be for vain. I find it difficult to analyze/criticize others in any amount of depth... like, I can say I liked (This) book or short story more than (This) but when it comes time to explain WHY, I grow silent. No doubt this is my fault and something I need to improve on, organize my thoughts better, etc

Just felt like blogging I guess. Feel free to pick apart any random segment and address it with your thoughts, just trying to spark conversation really. No burning bridges here.

BBS Signature
Blue-SilverDragon
Blue-SilverDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-27 22:34:58 Reply

At 7/27/13 06:14 PM, Coop wrote: Some characters don't initially need to be known about, but as a writer, it may prove that as your work progresses, you may need to hold fire, write the backstory of one of the characters, who until this point was an "extra" and then continue, as without a few key bits of information about who you're involving, even from the side lines, you may project a blinkered storyline.

This is something I'm going to have to think about. Adding the background to a secondary character leading to a spin-off is quite a way to write- I've seen this in David Weber's Honor Harrington novels. He's gotten two sub-story series going along that have forked off of the main series, and Weber describes events going on in other areas besides the 'core' areas (the 'core' areas also being, even indirectly, referenced) , how they relate to the main story line and how all three interact.

"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-28 10:17:32 Reply

At 7/27/13 09:54 PM, Elixur wrote: This entire post is just me talking and asking a million questions.

This entire post is just me telling you to shut up and write.

At some point we get lost in our own expectations, our own fantasies and desires. We become debilitated by our fears and insecurities and perfectionism.

We forget that when we're writing we're creating art. Look up the word "art" and you'll find that there is no concrete, exclusive definition. "Art" is a broad spectrum label for self expression. When you start to set expectations for what your art is or what it should do (survive the centuries, as was one example) you're missing the point. Art is not meant to last forever for everyone, only for yourself. At the end, when you're steps from death, you won't be thinking about what Mozart did, or Picasso, or Stephen King, you'll be thinking about what you didn't do.

Write like every word is poison; just get it out of your body.

When you hold onto your words because you're afraid they're not good enough, or you're not doing it right, or your thoughts and ideas aren't new, or original, or fresh, you build a wall that'll only make it harder to get them out.

Break that negative feedback loop. Then shut up and write.

At 7/27/13 10:34 PM, Blue-SilverDragon wrote:
At 7/27/13 06:14 PM, Coop wrote: Some characters don't initially need to be known about, but as a writer, it may prove that as your work progresses, you may need to hold fire, write the backstory of one of the characters, who until this point was an "extra" and then continue, as without a few key bits of information about who you're involving, even from the side lines, you may project a blinkered storyline.
This is something I'm going to have to think about. Adding the background to a secondary character leading to a spin-off is quite a way to write- I've seen this in David Weber's Honor Harrington novels. He's gotten two sub-story series going along that have forked off of the main series, and Weber describes events going on in other areas besides the 'core' areas (the 'core' areas also being, even indirectly, referenced) , how they relate to the main story line and how all three interact.

Worldbuilding is not a simple task. It takes a lot of work. If you don't do it, that's fine, but you risk falling into the trap of creating a flat, plot-revolving world. Meaning your conflicts will be dull and forced, your characters will be puppets, not people, and your reader will not understand what you're trying to relate.

It's a lot of work. And in the end you only use about 10%. But it's necessary. And, in fact, one of the fun parts of writing. You're creating. Playing God. Savor this part of the process. Because when the plot is kicking your ass, it'll be your eventual salvation.

Blue-SilverDragon
Blue-SilverDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-28 15:16:23 Reply

At 7/28/13 10:17 AM, Deathcon7 wrote: Worldbuilding is not a simple task. It takes a lot of work. If you don't do it, that's fine, but you risk falling into the trap of creating a flat, plot-revolving world. Meaning your conflicts will be dull and forced, your characters will be puppets, not people, and your reader will not understand what you're trying to relate.

It's a lot of work. And in the end you only use about 10%. But it's necessary. And, in fact, one of the fun parts of writing. You're creating. Playing God. Savor this part of the process. Because when the plot is kicking your ass, it'll be your eventual salvation.

I have been doing a lot of worldbuilding with one of my main projects, to avoid creating a dull world and forced plots. I actually like creating the framework I want the project to take place in, because I want to create a real world that the characters know and understand. There are times where I'm thinking 'Well, if there's this going on within this one country, where its generally acceptable to do it, what about some areas of this same country where its frowned upon? What would be the reasoning? What debate would there be? In what form would there be conflict over this matter?' I've really found how key research is, so I can strengthen the material supporting the framework.

Bullslap
Bullslap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-08-05 18:27:36 Reply

Also been doing some writing essays for material I want to develop. We're talking background information like geography, countries, social material and society, etc to make the writing more realistic in nature, so the reader can feel more authenticity for what they're reading. Its a bit slower than expected, though.

Have you ever read any of Karen Traviss' works? She starts every chapter with a small excerpt, a paragraph or a couple lines, from in-universe culture. She references studies, essays, speeches, significant historical events, all sorts of stuff. It makes it feel like there is more going on in the universe than just her characters.

Blue-SilverDragon
Blue-SilverDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-08-06 21:57:16 Reply

At 8/5/13 06:27 PM, Bullslap wrote: Have you ever read any of Karen Traviss' works? She starts every chapter with a small excerpt, a paragraph or a couple lines, from in-universe culture. She references studies, essays, speeches, significant historical events, all sorts of stuff. It makes it feel like there is more going on in the universe than just her characters.

I'm afraid I haven't. I just browsed her bibliography on Wikipedia; what would you recommend starting with?

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-08-07 02:47:13 Reply

At 8/6/13 09:57 PM, Blue-SilverDragon wrote:
At 8/5/13 06:27 PM, Bullslap wrote: Have you ever read any of Karen Traviss' works? She starts every chapter with a small excerpt, a paragraph or a couple lines, from in-universe culture. She references studies, essays, speeches, significant historical events, all sorts of stuff. It makes it feel like there is more going on in the universe than just her characters.
I'm afraid I haven't. I just browsed her bibliography on Wikipedia; what would you recommend starting with?

It's a common narrative technique. It's call an Epigraph. It sounds like you may also benefit from reading The Tough Guide To Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones. It's a book that I'm going to start really pushing because it offers great perspective on Fantasy/Sci-Fi in general.

There are a few purposes for using an epigraph at the start of a chapter or book. They can set the tone or theme, foreshadow, summarize, or even give clues to in-world mysteries. In speculative fiction stories they do tend to be from in-world sources to add depth to the story, but also to add depth to the world.

One thing to note about an epigraph, however, is that it's not an indulgence. As with everything else in a novel, it needs a purpose, and if you're putting it in just to make use of in-world content you've created, you're not only wasting an opportunity, but you're misleading the reader.

Blue-SilverDragon
Blue-SilverDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-08-07 18:19:36 Reply

At 8/7/13 02:47 AM, Deathcon7 wrote: It's a common narrative technique. It's call an Epigraph. It sounds like you may also benefit from reading The Tough Guide To Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones. It's a book that I'm going to start really pushing because it offers great perspective on Fantasy/Sci-Fi in general.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Bullslap
Bullslap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-08-17 07:28:32 Reply

It's a common narrative technique. It's call an Epigraph. It sounds like you may also benefit from reading The Tough Guide To Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones. It's a book that I'm going to start really pushing because it offers great perspective on Fantasy/Sci-Fi in general.

There are a few purposes for using an epigraph at the start of a chapter or book. They can set the tone or theme, foreshadow, summarize, or even give clues to in-world mysteries. In speculative fiction stories they do tend to be from in-world sources to add depth to the story, but also to add depth to the world.

One thing to note about an epigraph, however, is that it's not an indulgence. As with everything else in a novel, it needs a purpose, and if you're putting it in just to make use of in-world content you've created, you're not only wasting an opportunity, but you're misleading the reader.

I've seen it used a lot now that I think about it, never knew it had a name. As for the Karen Traviss books, she has some original series but mostly she writes for already-established franchises like Star Wars (her Republic Commando series are my favorite) Halo and Gears of Wars. I started with her Star Wars books, but you can jump in anywhere. She isn't the best writer out there, but she has good insight into a soldier's mind if you plan on writing military sci-fi.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-12-29 14:44:55 Reply

What can we do to bring some life back to this forum guys? I think we need to get some activity going on here. I see tons of threads with little to no replies. It's kind of saddening as it may discourage a new user or a new writer when they are ignored. Any ideas that may help this place out? @coop @scte3 @elixur @deathcon7 @alltheotherwriters

I'm going to make a personal goal of responding to a couple of threads every day. I think we get a little selfish wanting everyone to see our stories, but we don't want the time to read and express our feelings about everyone else's writing.

Any ideas? Let's brainstorm.

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-12-29 22:29:59 Reply

At 12/29/13 02:44 PM, Fro wrote: What can we do to bring some life back to this forum guys? I think we need to get some activity going on here. I see tons of threads with little to no replies. It's kind of saddening as it may discourage a new user or a new writer when they are ignored. Any ideas that may help this place out? @coop @scte3 @elixur @deathcon7 @alltheotherwriters
Any ideas? Let's brainstorm.

Could always try advertising this forum in sigs, if someone wants me to review their work here, they can send me a PM and I'll respond when I get a free chance during the day.

<33/Request Reviews/Review Request Club / #9 Reviewer / #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-12-30 07:08:04 Reply

At 12/29/13 02:44 PM, Fro wrote: What can we do to bring some life back to this forum guys? I think we need to get some activity going on here. I see tons of threads with little to no replies. It's kind of saddening as it may discourage a new user or a new writer when they are ignored. Any ideas that may help this place out? @coop @scte3 @elixur @deathcon7 @alltheotherwriters

I just don't get the time I used to - I'm pulling 50 hour weeks (granted, I've got a 2 week break at present, but that's beside the point.) I finished reading a book just before Xmas and I've not found the time to get onto reviewing it. I've got to before tomorrow, to keep up with my New Year pledge from 2013

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
ZaneKade
ZaneKade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-12-30 08:54:56 Reply

At 12/30/13 07:08 AM, Coop wrote:
I just don't get the time I used to - I'm pulling 50 hour weeks (granted, I've got a 2 week break at present, but that's beside the point.) I finished reading a book just before Xmas and I've not found the time to get onto reviewing it. I've got to before tomorrow, to keep up with my New Year pledge from 2013

I'm not sure myself really! I have only come here from the Animation forum today to post my first chapter of which first story! Which is the thread below at the moment by the way lol. I'll be hanging around for a while as I've already written a longer chapter two as I thought my chapter one was a big short! So I'll be posting that soon!

Thanks,

- Zane

Nothing!

ZaneKade
ZaneKade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-12-30 14:47:11 Reply

Hi Guys,

I've just got a laptop from my gf. It sounds like nothing I know but I explained my current situation in my post of my first story in a while where I will be around for at least a few days if not more constantly looking or writing. So if the Mods are ok with it I do not mind at all taking a look at story's and giving reviews/reply's so that people particularly new people don't think they are being ignored.

I've never really reviewed work but im not doing anything for the next at least 48 hours probably more but at least I have a laptop now and am not having to use my iphone to type. Then I could be sidelined for a while depending on the outcome but im more than happy to help if that helps you guys.

Thanks,

- Zane

Nothing!

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-12-31 09:53:08 Reply

At 12/30/13 02:47 PM, ZaneKade wrote: I've just got a laptop from my gf. It sounds like nothing I know but I explained my current situation in my post of my first story in a while where I will be around for at least a few days if not more constantly looking or writing. So if the Mods are ok with it I do not mind at all taking a look at story's and giving reviews/reply's so that people particularly new people don't think they are being ignored.

As mods, we have never discouraged people from reviewing other's work. The only way that you can improve yourself as a subjective reviewer, is to undertake more reviews.

As such, I would actively encourage you to review people's work - please keep your reviews to the threads / news posts in which the work is posted, that's the best guideline I can give you.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-12-31 18:11:13 Reply

For some reason I get stuck in this mindset that I need to write a book. Even though it really is something I would like to accomplish some day I get much more satisfaction from writing short stories or watching movies and writing a review about the movie.

I use to blog quite a bit. Perhaps if I start the blogger blog back up with movie reviews, short stories, and other odds and ends I'll get motivated to start writing more often. That and the addition of ads on the blog may give me another motive.

BBS Signature
FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-12-31 21:24:11 Reply

At 12/29/13 02:44 PM, Fro wrote: Any ideas? Let's brainstorm.

I've started a thread on that but - since I saw your post, I think I'll repeat this here: I think essay writing should be encouraged. It's a form that takes less effort (for me at least), as well as a form that can be done by anyone, anywhere.

NCot09
NCot09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2014-01-01 00:03:49 Reply

Anyone interested in a collab? Working on a Justice League sprite movie and I consider myself more of an idea and to hasn't really wrote a script before. If you are interested in hearing more about or joining the project you can pm me here, email me at Ncotner0910@gmail.com, or preferably contact me on skype at Cotner4190. Thank you for your time.

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2014-01-01 13:14:47 Reply

Man, I haven't been around awhile. Glad to see the precious heart of the forum is still beating. I like to use my free time on winter break (which, being out of school, shouldn't really exist) to read the forum more closely. I myself am currently applying to Northwestern's MFA for screenwriting. Insanely nervous. Would anyone be willing to read the sample, 10-page screening I'm planning on sending them in the application? I need feedback before the 12th.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2014-01-03 09:26:05 Reply

At 12/31/13 09:24 PM, FlyingColours wrote:
At 12/29/13 02:44 PM, Fro wrote: Any ideas? Let's brainstorm.
I've started a thread on that but - since I saw your post, I think I'll repeat this here: I think essay writing should be encouraged. It's a form that takes less effort (for me at least), as well as a form that can be done by anyone, anywhere.

When you say essay writing do you mean specifically the style of writing that I did my entire life in high school and college? After my last essay which included over 100 pages of writing.... I don't think I'll ever write an essay ever again.. ever, ever again. :P

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2014-01-03 10:31:39 Reply

At 1/3/14 09:26 AM, Fro wrote: When you say essay writing do you mean specifically the style of writing that I did my entire life in high school and college? After my last essay which included over 100 pages of writing.... I don't think I'll ever write an essay ever again.. ever, ever again. :P

And yet you're talking about writing a book - let's face it, a dissertation, which is just a large essay, with horrendously long appendices can be called a glorified essay - my cousin's is on his mother's coffee table, because she obviously needs people in her house to learn about Particle Physics :P

I need to make my own stories into some sort of anthology at some stage, but then again this year, I need to get my writing shit sorted - more time for creativity, more concise work on the actual tales and finally a picture emerging toward the end of another chapter or two of the "big one" that is currently in the pipeline.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2014-01-03 18:14:45 Reply

At 1/3/14 10:31 AM, Coop wrote:
At 1/3/14 09:26 AM, Fro wrote: When you say essay writing do you mean specifically the style of writing that I did my entire life in high school and college? After my last essay which included over 100 pages of writing.... I don't think I'll ever write an essay ever again.. ever, ever again. :P
And yet you're talking about writing a book - let's face it, a dissertation, which is just a large essay, with horrendously long appendices can be called a glorified essay - my cousin's is on his mother's coffee table, because she obviously needs people in her house to learn about Particle Physics :P

I suppose so, but I guess when I think of writing an essay in school I think of writing something about a topic in which I had no choice in. Doing endless hours of research about a topic I really don't care anything about and pretending like I do just to have someone read it who could give two shits about the subject themselves. They pretend to care just enough to grade you on it then assign you the next one.

I guess it isn't so bad if you get to choose what you're writing about and the people who are reading it are generally interested.

I need to make my own stories into some sort of anthology at some stage, but then again this year, I need to get my writing shit sorted - more time for creativity, more concise work on the actual tales and finally a picture emerging toward the end of another chapter or two of the "big one" that is currently in the pipeline.

To get myself on the right track I'm going to try and compete and/or judge every contest this year. I also made it a rule to write one page a day in my notebook. I have several stories going and would really never run out of things to write about. When you add in the movie reviews im trying to catch up on I could up my quota to 2 or 3 pages without running out of content.

BBS Signature
Blue-SilverDragon
Blue-SilverDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2014-01-03 18:48:27 Reply

At 1/1/14 01:14 PM, EKublai wrote: Man, I haven't been around awhile. Glad to see the precious heart of the forum is still beating. I like to use my free time on winter break (which, being out of school, shouldn't really exist) to read the forum more closely. I myself am currently applying to Northwestern's MFA for screenwriting. Insanely nervous. Would anyone be willing to read the sample, 10-page screening I'm planning on sending them in the application? I need feedback before the 12th.

Would you want a review, critique or what? I do have a bit of interest in helping you, but I've only done only a little bit of writing experience in screen/play writing.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2014-01-28 15:23:54 Reply

Just wanted to poke my head around the door and see if a) we can get more conversation here and b) people are aware that we don't generally accept lots of threads by any one user, one each dedicated to a single piece of poetry.

Basically, if you can make your own anthology or showcase thread, that should suffice for general purposes. Some projects warrant a thread of their own, but as longer winded writing projects (usually fictional prose, but not limited to that) can last a lot longer, chapters taking up numerous posts at a time, these become more suited to a single thread for that piece. In an anthology thread, you can post your work in a single post (two, three or even four, if you're writing prose)

Thanks for listening, I want to keep the place happy and above all, tidy.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Kylpault
Kylpault
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Reader
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2014-01-28 15:39:29 Reply

Was wondering if I should post in this thread. It felt like a good way to get some casual conversation in and increase the liveliness of the forum but then again it was also a bump.

I have a question: Would you read a script? Just a script, not a movie or show or play or anything. Just a script.

I got shot down for Evil-Dog's endeavour soon despite trying to jump aboard just a few hours after the public announcement because I wrote scripts, with the reason that people don't like to read scripts. It's a serious but probably unintentional ego blow considering that's my preferred writing style.

I've been branching out into poetry and even trying to get together a text-based or point-and-click game to gain some exposure as an alternative to scripts. If that doesn't work I don't know what else to try and get my work recognized, apart from canvassing eight hours a day for people to read my work. I figured that people would read my signature but when I PMed a guy about one of his he remarked "Wow, you actually read that?".

Maybe I'm getting a little off-topic. Would you read a script?

Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2014-01-28 17:12:19 Reply

At 1/28/14 03:39 PM, Kylpault wrote: Maybe I'm getting a little off-topic. Would you read a script?

Well, I've written scripts before, I've also bought script books for Blackadder and Father Ted (sad, I know), which contain stage directions and so forth, so Yes, I would read one.

I know that you're being ambiguous about what the script could be used for, so I'll assume that it was practice. Sure, I'd read it, just throw it out there and let people see.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Kylpault
Kylpault
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Reader
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2014-01-28 17:22:58 Reply

At 1/28/14 05:12 PM, Coop wrote:
At 1/28/14 03:39 PM, Kylpault wrote: Maybe I'm getting a little off-topic. Would you read a script?
Well, I've written scripts before, I've also bought script books for Blackadder and Father Ted (sad, I know), which contain stage directions and so forth, so Yes, I would read one.

I know that you're being ambiguous about what the script could be used for, so I'll assume that it was practice. Sure, I'd read it, just throw it out there and let people see.

Don't know if you are asking for a link to my script. I wasn't really talking about one in particular, though I'm sure not going to pass up an offer.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/3e3c9b01c80367bc44006d3a1b35fc52

I was wondering, there was a link to an old thread a page or two before this one about a writing review request club. The regular review request club didn't work out for me so could I possibly just bump that thread? It seemed like a nice idea but stopped all the sudden and seemed to get derailed a bit. Perhaps go around two would be better.

Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.