Be a Supporter!

Writing Forum Lounge

  • 124,655 Views
  • 2,432 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
MidnightStorm
MidnightStorm
  • Member since: May. 14, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-05-14 11:26:40 Reply

Just found this site today from a friend, so far I'm really enjoying it and hope to make some friends and get some helpful criticism on my short stories and poems!

Fro
Fro
  • Member since: Apr. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-24 09:44:39 Reply

I'm currently working on two stories. A short about a real life supernatural event which happened to me and a continuation of a short story that I wrote a long time ago that I think I can adapt to be much longer, even maybe an attempt at a novel.


BBS Signature
Arualiaa
Arualiaa
  • Member since: Jan. 4, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-24 14:11:46 Reply

Hi, I'm Laura, I'm 16 and I've had a passion for writing since I was really young. Even though I mostly write fanfiction, I'm currently working on some original projects, including a middle-length novel and a short but complex narration. I'm also fond of lyrics writing, but I'm not talented with music and my songs are usually nothing more than wordpad files that will never have a proper arrangement, even if I actually do have a melody in mind.
I can't wait to contribute in this forum, and meet you all!

Also, I should note that I'm Spanish. I try to use a wide range of vocabulary and expressions, but I can't be as verbose as you guys, and therefore, the literary quality might not match your expectations. If you found mistakes and pointed them out constructively, I would be very grateful, because I'm always willing to improve.

Kylpault
Kylpault
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Reader
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-24 14:53:08 Reply

I guess I'm new to the forum and should introduce myself but I really don't see it contributing to a discussion in any way. Just know that I'm not an English major but I am willing to review stories on request. I sometimes do it on my own but usually it's for pieces I particularly like or writing styles I enjoy. Oh, and I may ask to return the favor when I bring out a writing piece I've been working on for some time.

One thing I would like to bring up from an earlier discussion about trying to get reviews in for writing pieces is that why not do the simple solution and campaign for a Lit Portal? It would invite people who don't necessarily are writers themselves to review pieces, which I honestly find is the best criticism (though I can see how other people might disagree), as well as get a centralized location for submitting works. It would both realistically judge writers and showcase works well. Plus I could see collaboration between the Art forums and the Writing forums for cover art, bridging two sections of Newgrounds and encouraging more interaction.


Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-24 17:57:31 Reply

At 6/24/13 02:53 PM, Kylpault wrote: I guess I'm new to the forum and should introduce myself but I really don't see it contributing to a discussion in any way. Just know that I'm not an English major but I am willing to review stories on request. I sometimes do it on my own but usually it's for pieces I particularly like or writing styles I enjoy. Oh, and I may ask to return the favor when I bring out a writing piece I've been working on for some time.

Welcome. Pleasantries are never discouraged. I'm an English Major as well. Have studied mostly short form. Looking to take some 3000 level courses on longer form and screenplays. Looking to write for primarily for screen or video games. I love novels, but writing for visual media captures my attention more so than novel writing.

Your turn. We're trying to build a community here. The more people understand each others' interests, the better. For example, if you hate poetry, I'm not going to ask your opinion on a classical sonnet I wrote about a summer fling in '05.

One thing I would like to bring up from an earlier discussion about trying to get reviews in for writing pieces is that why not do the simple solution and campaign for a Lit Portal? It would invite people who don't necessarily are writers themselves to review pieces, which I honestly find is the best criticism (though I can see how other people might disagree), as well as get a centralized location for submitting works. It would both realistically judge writers and showcase works well. Plus I could see collaboration between the Art forums and the Writing forums for cover art, bridging two sections of Newgrounds and encouraging more interaction.

At some point you have to separate idealism from reality. We've tried campaigning. We gave up on campaigning. The fact of the matter is that a writing community on Newgrounds will not survive without proper context. There are plenty of writers here. Plenty of people who can't do anything else so they figure they'd "just write." Giving these people a focal aspect of this site to express themselves sounds great on paper, but will turn into a horrible monster if enacted. At least for the moment. The real objective is not to get a portal, but to organize a community around writing, that contributes to the website as a whole. If we can do that, then recognition will come eventually. If not, we'll be waiting forever for the Lit portal. And when we finally do get it, it'll be a horribly convoluted affair where everyone submits but doesn't want to read a thing.

Kylpault
Kylpault
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Reader
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-24 18:29:50 Reply

I actually said I'm not and English major.

The space between here and above is to allow you time to facepalm. No offense.

My reading tastes? I prefer more modern fiction, I'm not too big on the "hidden meanings" of stories from classical works or even some 20th century and earlier pieces. While mastery of words and the ability to present a plot right through flow and whatever does matter, it seems to not reflect the true core of the piece.

I've recently made the switch to writing scripts because, well they fit my taste better. I do eventually hope to become a 3D Designer in the future and possibly even an animator or game developer so I see stories in my head as an animation or movie.

And regarding your argument on the Lit Portal, I see a lot of frustration in your words. Although I wasn't here for the campaign for a portal I can tell it didn't go so well. I only mentioned it because I saw a comment Tom made on a news post that suggested a Lit Portal would have a purpose, at least that's how I interpreted it.


Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-24 19:02:21 Reply

At 6/24/13 06:29 PM, Kylpault wrote: I actually said I'm not and English major.

The space between here and above is to allow you time to facepalm. No offense.

Fair enough. It should be noted that I'm probably one of maybe two English majors. That being said, no need to worry you're in the minority, or that your opinion is in any way diminished.

My reading tastes? I prefer more modern fiction, I'm not too big on the "hidden meanings" of stories from classical works or even some 20th century and earlier pieces. While mastery of words and the ability to present a plot right through flow and whatever does matter, it seems to not reflect the true core of the piece.

Contemporary fiction tends to focus more on character than milieu, where classical fiction is the opposite. It's the reason why contemporary fiction seems more to the point and engaging.

I've recently made the switch to writing scripts because, well they fit my taste better. I do eventually hope to become a 3D Designer in the future and possibly even an animator or game developer so I see stories in my head as an animation or movie.

You'd be surprised how many authors visualize as well.

More to the point, are you an illustrator? If so, care to share some of your work?

And regarding your argument on the Lit Portal, I see a lot of frustration in your words. Although I wasn't here for the campaign for a portal I can tell it didn't go so well. I only mentioned it because I saw a comment Tom made on a news post that suggested a Lit Portal would have a purpose, at least that's how I interpreted it.

I am frustrated, but it's more about having to address the point of any sort of push toward a Lit portal, than bitterness over its arrested development. It's nothing against you specifically, I just like to take every opportunity I can, when I see "lit portal" in a post, to really drive home the fact that we need to build a community. Once we have a community that'll benefit Newgrounds as a whole, a Lit portal will add real value to the site. Until then, the Lit Portal stands to become so riddled with garbage and nonsense, and ineffectual due to a lack of readership, that investing the time in developing it is counter productive. I'm quite certain Tom et al have eyes on this place in anticipation of that time. Until then, other projects take priority.

You shouldn't feel like you can't share your work just because there's no portal. Make a thread for your writing, create a index on your user page, post printed .pdfs to the dumping grounds and share the link. There's quite a few options, but you'll want to make sure you put time into earning reciprocals. If you don't, your work will go largely ignored, unfortunately. I try to get things going for new comers, however, so feel free to PM me.

Kylpault
Kylpault
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Reader
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-24 22:04:51 Reply

Sadly I do not illustrate. I wish I could illustrate, it is a talent I appreciate. But developing I chose a full five fingers pencil grip eliminating any paper art route and I simply didn't have access to computer illustration techniques until recently and I have realized I do not have the patience for quality illustrations. Sure I could try illustrating, but why when I don't enjoy it as much as writing and I don't get as good a product? However I am looking to branch out and do some 3D Modeling and perhaps once I get the knowledge to use my program of choice best I can perhaps use that as an art tool.

I've contacted your review club on their thread with a review request and I'm now trying to be as active in the forums as possible as opposed to my previous strategy of trying not to clog the forum with my posts dominating all the threads. I still won't post in say a surrealist story looking for review (unless they review my work, then I return the favor no matter what) but I do try and be active in as many discussions as possible, as long as I have something worthwhile to say. I'm also considering creating a signature link to my work but I think I'll get a decent image first.

So yeah, I've been trying to be pro-active today. It's summer and I got a few weeks of nothing before stuff starts happening, which will be time dedicated to either writing or Newgrounds, or something else if anything comes up. Woo, no life!

P.S. Just published my first script! I think it's good but the longer I wait for a review the more my self confidence decreases. Does anyone else have the same problem?


Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Member since: Nov. 17, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Artist
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-25 04:30:42 Reply

Well I'm working on a book about a girl with Telekinesis and flight powers. I'm hoping to publish it someday.
I just love writing and reading in general.


mypsychedelicfantasy // tumblr >:)
THE  VOID  HUNGERS

BBS Signature
Kylpault
Kylpault
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Reader
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-25 08:40:47 Reply

At 6/25/13 04:30 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote: Well I'm working on a book about a girl with Telekinesis and flight powers. I'm hoping to publish it someday.
I just love writing and reading in general.

Details? No need to give away all your work, but maybe a plot summery or outline?


Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

Kylpault
Kylpault
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Reader
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-25 08:41:54 Reply

At 6/25/13 04:30 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote: Well I'm working on a book about a girl with Telekinesis and flight powers. I'm hoping to publish it someday.
I just love writing and reading in general.

Details? No need to give away all your work, but maybe a plot summery or outline?


Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

Coop
Coop
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-25 15:21:54 Reply

I've written a pretty tough piece on my news post - lost my Granddad on Sunday, which is pretty sad. I was actually thinking of writing something and submitting it to the family for the eulogy, see if I can get some of the details right and honour one of the bigger influences on my life, as we celebrate his life.


Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Member since: Nov. 17, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Artist
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-26 00:21:57 Reply

At 6/25/13 08:41 AM, Kylpault wrote:
At 6/25/13 04:30 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote: Well I'm working on a book about a girl with Telekinesis and flight powers. I'm hoping to publish it someday.
I just love writing and reading in general.
Details? No need to give away all your work, but maybe a plot summery or outline?

Well, I'll say a little bit but like you said I won't give all the details away.
The girl is 16 years old and her name is Skylar Mason. She has had super powers since she was 4 and one day she finally snaps and attacks a girl called Dakota who has been bullying her for a long time. She gets captured by a secret government organization and finds out that they want to kill her.
You'll have to find out why they want to kill her and how they know about her if you read what I've written on wattpad so far. Tons of surprises along the way, plus she meets another telekinetic like her.


mypsychedelicfantasy // tumblr >:)
THE  VOID  HUNGERS

BBS Signature
Kylpault
Kylpault
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Reader
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-26 10:56:56 Reply

At 6/26/13 12:21 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote:
At 6/25/13 08:41 AM, Kylpault wrote:
At 6/25/13 04:30 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote: Well I'm working on a book about a girl with Telekinesis and flight powers. I'm hoping to publish it someday.
I just love writing and reading in general.
Details? No need to give away all your work, but maybe a plot summery or outline?
Well, I'll say a little bit but like you said I won't give all the details away.
The girl is 16 years old and her name is Skylar Mason. She has had super powers since she was 4 and one day she finally snaps and attacks a girl called Dakota who has been bullying her for a long time. She gets captured by a secret government organization and finds out that they want to kill her.
You'll have to find out why they want to kill her and how they know about her if you read what I've written on wattpad so far. Tons of surprises along the way, plus she meets another telekinetic like her.

My only advice would be to look over a post above about Physics/Magic, just so you aren't just enough generic girl-with-psychic-powers story. There needs to be a believable reason on why she developed psychic powers, maybe it doesn't need to be fully explained but if there is an entire government organization dedicated to killing her then the "condition" has got to be at least researched to some extent?

Just a little pet peeve of mine when modern/fantasy hybrids don't explain anything, or give a crappy explanation.


Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Member since: Nov. 17, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Artist
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-27 01:05:08 Reply

At 6/26/13 10:56 AM, Kylpault wrote:
My only advice would be to look over a post above about Physics/Magic, just so you aren't just enough generic girl-with-psychic-powers story. There needs to be a believable reason on why she developed psychic powers, maybe it doesn't need to be fully explained but if there is an entire government organization dedicated to killing her then the "condition" has got to be at least researched to some extent?

Just a little pet peeve of mine when modern/fantasy hybrids don't explain anything, or give a crappy explanation.

I see what you mean. Well there's not going to be real reason how/why she got her powers but the setting of the story is in 2040, so the world is a bit trashed up with pollution, the government is messed up a bit, so mutations with human babies happen sometimes, but rarely. And I guess that's what happened to her. She caught a mutation/infection while she was in the womb and developed her powers at age 4, I don't really know actually.
There's definitely a good reason why the government want to kill her and know about her in the first place. But I can't say why/how because it's an important part of the book.


mypsychedelicfantasy // tumblr >:)
THE  VOID  HUNGERS

BBS Signature
deathbymanga
deathbymanga
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-27 08:38:09 Reply

Hi, I'm Sebastian, and I do not consider myself to be a literary writer. I consider myself to be one of those strange nitches of writers that can only write cinematically. I have pictures in my head, but the idea that they can exist solely as word is the same to me as saying WE can exist solely as words.

That isn't to say that I don't read, not at all. I still prefer the written media over plenty of what I have seen. but that isn't solely because i like what I read. A lot of the time, i like the stuff because literature is a lot better at inspiring my own cinematic writing, which is in itself a strange comparison.

But since I have the floor, i'm going to throw some of my ideas and stories and see what you guys think.

One of my most recent (2 minutes ago) ideas is to make an Animated Musical that sympathises with the toils of Benedict Arnold. Why? Because i have never heard anything but disrespect for the man, when in truth, he has been dishonored by so many people, and that was before the war was even over, which only served to further dishonor him as time went on. And I feel that by representing him in his own animated film would be perfect.

Why animated? Because since I was young I have read comics and watched cartoons, even into my teen years. And when I see anyone discuss an animated show or film, they always give it praise for entertaining older audiences. Like it is miraculous that an animated media can be entertaining for anyone over the age of 13. I may not be an animator or an artist, but I sure as heck can write a good story for to make animated films more adult friendly.

Another story I am working on is the plot to a long and complex series of DC animated tv shows that continue to present themselves as a way to tell my own spin on the classic adventures of Batman, the Flash, etc. I really do enjoy writing tv shows as opposed to movies since movie plots are typically one note. Even if you manage to score the right to selling sequels or writing a trilogy, there will always be a clear date for when the movie will end. But when you make a tv series? the shows can be told for however long with however as many plot shifts and the story will potentially never end if given the right room to grow.

Is it odd that I am talking about writing cinematics in a forum typically filled with individuals who write poems and novels?

Coop
Coop
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-29 18:27:08 Reply

At 6/27/13 08:38 AM, deathbymanga wrote: Hi, I'm Sebastian, and I do not consider myself to be a literary writer. I consider myself to be one of those strange nitches of writers that can only write cinematically. I have pictures in my head, but the idea that they can exist solely as word is the same to me as saying WE can exist solely as words.

I like the sound of that - sort of being descriptive, with stage direction, as opposed to dialogue and he said, she said narration.

This is something that can work really well, especially with writing scripts for movies. Perhaps you'd be better off in collaboration, with someone who is better at writing dialogue and blending your two styles together can create spellbinding action sequences and decent plot to go along with it, tying everything together.


Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
deathbymanga
deathbymanga
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-30 05:45:12 Reply

At 6/29/13 06:27 PM, Coop wrote:
At 6/27/13 08:38 AM, deathbymanga wrote: Hi, I'm Sebastian, and I do not consider myself to be a literary writer. I consider myself to be one of those strange nitches of writers that can only write cinematically. I have pictures in my head, but the idea that they can exist solely as word is the same to me as saying WE can exist solely as words.
I like the sound of that - sort of being descriptive, with stage direction, as opposed to dialogue and he said, she said narration.

This is something that can work really well, especially with writing scripts for movies. Perhaps you'd be better off in collaboration, with someone who is better at writing dialogue and blending your two styles together can create spellbinding action sequences and decent plot to go along with it, tying everything together.

I'm hoping to one day do that. Especially since I'm kind of anti-social, I don't have a strong grasp of dialogue writing.

If anyone is interested in doing pretty much exactly what this guy just said, I really would NOT mind it

MrDaemon
MrDaemon
  • Member since: Aug. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-09 09:35:58 Reply

Working on a short story.

It's about a grizzled, hard-nosed detective who lives in a steam-punk style alternate history where Hitler won, discovers that the drug he takes daily to suppress the effects of an old zombie bite is actually a mind altering substance manufactured to bring people under the control of a capitalistic worshiping mega church that has been buying up corporations with the end goal to open a portal to a dimension of immortal tentacled star-beasts, so they can open Starbucks and other franchises there.

It's going to be horrible. Get ready.


BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-10 17:27:12 Reply

At 6/30/13 05:45 AM, deathbymanga wrote: I'm hoping to one day do that. Especially since I'm kind of anti-social, I don't have a strong grasp of dialogue writing.

Anti-social is not as big a problem as it once was. Now you can still exist pretty happily behind a computer screen and still have a social life of some sorts, without leaving your desk.

If anyone is interested in doing pretty much exactly what this guy just said, I really would NOT mind it

I would, but I've had so much going on of late, that I'm swimming against the tide.

I finished something very personal to me yesterday and delivered a part of the Eulogy for my grandad at his funeral. A very emotional day, yet for some reason, I did not feel any fear, when I stepped up to the lectern, to deliver it. Not even a fear of allowing my emotions to get the better of me. I delivered it to the congregation, walked over to his coffin and rested my hand on the lid for a few seconds, before returning to my seat.


Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Blue-SilverDragon
Blue-SilverDragon
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-10 18:43:05 Reply

At 7/10/13 05:27 PM, Coop wrote: I finished something very personal to me yesterday and delivered a part of the Eulogy for my grandad at his funeral. A very emotional day, yet for some reason, I did not feel any fear, when I stepped up to the lectern, to deliver it. Not even a fear of allowing my emotions to get the better of me. I delivered it to the congregation, walked over to his coffin and rested my hand on the lid for a few seconds, before returning to my seat.

Hope you found some peace for that. The passing of any family member can be tough.

Also been doing some writing essays for material I want to develop. We're talking background information like geography, countries, social material and society, etc to make the writing more realistic in nature, so the reader can feel more authenticity for what they're reading. Its a bit slower than expected, though.


"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Coop
Coop
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-25 08:28:08 Reply

At 7/10/13 06:43 PM, Blue-SilverDragon wrote:
At 7/10/13 05:27 PM, Coop wrote: I finished something very personal to me yesterday and delivered a part of the Eulogy for my grandad at his funeral. A very emotional day, yet for some reason, I did not feel any fear, when I stepped up to the lectern, to deliver it. Not even a fear of allowing my emotions to get the better of me. I delivered it to the congregation, walked over to his coffin and rested my hand on the lid for a few seconds, before returning to my seat.
Hope you found some peace for that. The passing of any family member can be tough.

It just seemed right. I do not know why.

Also been doing some writing essays for material I want to develop. We're talking background information like geography, countries, social material and society, etc to make the writing more realistic in nature, so the reader can feel more authenticity for what they're reading. Its a bit slower than expected, though.

Ah, backstory and so forth? That really does help in the world of what has happened to the characters in the past, so that you can take their current story forward.

I'm back on my werewolf kick at the moment and I've just got to decide if now is the best time to put in an earth shattering revelation, or keep that and the fallout for the next chapter. I might throw a cliff hanger in and have Gareth's recovery start chapter 5 off instead.


Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Blue-SilverDragon
Blue-SilverDragon
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-25 22:01:34 Reply

At 7/25/13 08:28 AM, Coop wrote: Ah, backstory and so forth? That really does help in the world of what has happened to the characters in the past, so that you can take their current story forward.

Yeah. The augmentation of a backstory into a character- how they think/reason, work, etc- is something I'm becoming increasingly interested in, both as a reader and as a writer. Of course, creating a broad backstory requires broad, well developed characters, as well as 'simple' characters, in addtion the other major factors in the story itself.


"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Coop
Coop
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-27 18:14:59 Reply

At 7/25/13 10:01 PM, Blue-SilverDragon wrote:
At 7/25/13 08:28 AM, Coop wrote: Ah, backstory and so forth? That really does help in the world of what has happened to the characters in the past, so that you can take their current story forward.
Yeah. The augmentation of a backstory into a character- how they think/reason, work, etc- is something I'm becoming increasingly interested in, both as a reader and as a writer. Of course, creating a broad backstory requires broad, well developed characters, as well as 'simple' characters, in addtion the other major factors in the story itself.

Some characters don't initially need to be known about, but as a writer, it may prove that as your work progresses, you may need to hold fire, write the backstory of one of the characters, who until this point was an "extra" and then continue, as without a few key bits of information about who you're involving, even from the side lines, you may project a blinkered storyline.


Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
MrDaemon
MrDaemon
  • Member since: Aug. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-27 21:54:45 Reply

This entire post is just me talking and asking a million questions.

Does anyone ever feel soul-crushed by the weight of available information at our fingertips at this very moment? I could spend the rest of my life just soaking up the knowledge of the world, through whatever medium (be it books, what have you) and never create a damn thing.

I often lament on my wasted time and in effect end up over-analyzing myself and wasting more time. Is it wrong to view one's available recreational hobby as "precious"?

Does anyone here believe in that pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo involving 10,000 hours of practice makes one proficient? I've always considered it a gross-over estimation in an attempt to be vague and precise, but still can't shake it's validity.

What eats at me most, and stays my hand when I begin to type, is - hmmm

Does anyone slip into droughts of depression, in terms of writing? What I mean is... is it illogical to not want to write if it won't be remembered hundreds of years from now? Of course, at the start of your "career" or -journey of the quill- you still have much to learn to reach such levels, but where do people find the drive... or inspiration to continue? Is it merely the pride through one's accomplishments? The desire to better yourself in literature? Could it be so simple...

When you look through the hall of the "greats" the field of choice doesn't matter, they all share a common trait. They all started at a very young age. It's a sort of mysticism that's begun to surround artists, that at a young age even if they didn't know that was their path, they were compelled my some unknown force to create; beauty chose them to be its creator and they followed wistfully in its wake. Am I and others handicapped by default? It would seem luck and nature are working against me.

Then there's the matter of life experience to grow ideas, by which I have very little in comparison to some. Can imagination simulate events or experiences through an authors telling? Are authentic first hand and second hand even comparable? How can you sit down to write when you've never stood up to live? That may have come off as superfluous, but is always a lingering thought of mine. Do you have to live events that are analogous to the subject of your material, in turn tying your work in with reality? ... I suppose history contradicts my statement.

This is ignoring Fiction of course.

Another topic I'd like to touch on is how we're ever evolving. Let me explain, you see we're (by we're I mean college students) introduced to material that was cutting edge not that many years ago. Over time, with each passing decade and soon to be century we as (knowledge sponges essentially) have more and more catching up to do, before we can apply what we know to advance ourselves in some way or form as a species. Be it Mathematics, Philosophy, so on.

Will we hit a snag? A point in which the time span to teach a person all of humanities repertoire in a given subject will overcome the usefulness of their input?

Practice leads to mastery, genetics give a person a head-start. Will only prodigies have a place in society in the distant future? My imposed questions float about meaningless if we continue down the destructive path we're on anyway. Mark my words, we will be our own undoing, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. I ramble...

Anyways, i know and understand that making millions off book sales and becoming internationally famous/beloved doesn't equate to being successful. Being published just seems like such a distant goal that it's difficult to get out of bed in the morning. Can anyone relate this sentiment? People also have a nasty habit of luring you into a false sense of security, mostly by lying to you and complimenting where it has no place. No doubt making them feel warm and cozy inside and boosting your self-esteem, but it's not REAL. This is one area this place (by that I mean this forum) has no troubles, the advice and critiques found here may or may not be accurate, but atleast it's honest. Having reality slap you in the face is not a fun time. People seem to love hyperbole when dishing out non critical compliments these days and it's because no one gives a horse's ass about hard work; only natural talent.

Welcome to Generation Narcissus. Everyone dies alone.

I'm almost finished and I applaud you if you made it this far. Can one attain wisdom without reading? Are the two synonymous? Do you need to gain perspective on other's to become educated to the point that you can make rational decisions and create something worth offering to the world?

Mood and your emotions transcribe themselves to every facet that you touch. Do sad people with conflict in their lives lead to superior content, as opposed to happy people? Hardships are relative and a hypothetical ordinary life is difficult to describe, but I hope you understand the gist of my question.

Perception intercedes between reality and ourselves. When we interpret events before us, the imagination is engaged. Can we ever have access to objective knowledge of reality? Does one's mundane day to day upkeep influence our perception? This isn't a very radical stance (albeit perhaps nonsensical, but I'll say it anyway) but perception -as defined by the organization of sensory information- and imagination are closely related when it comes times to spill ideas. They're like a married couple. A person's "world-view" is the catalyst by which they create and articulate their message, what scale do other's have to grade someone on the worth of their writing?

I ask as many questions as a five year old to a parent I'm sure.

If our works we wish to relay to the world lack the grandiose magnitude of say ... Harry Potter or The Shining or something along those lines, does it have literary merit in this ever strong competition to be heard? We're always striving to attain our Magnum Opus, but I can't help but wonder if it'll all be for vain. I find it difficult to analyze/criticize others in any amount of depth... like, I can say I liked (This) book or short story more than (This) but when it comes time to explain WHY, I grow silent. No doubt this is my fault and something I need to improve on, organize my thoughts better, etc

Just felt like blogging I guess. Feel free to pick apart any random segment and address it with your thoughts, just trying to spark conversation really. No burning bridges here.


BBS Signature
Blue-SilverDragon
Blue-SilverDragon
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-27 22:34:58 Reply

At 7/27/13 06:14 PM, Coop wrote: Some characters don't initially need to be known about, but as a writer, it may prove that as your work progresses, you may need to hold fire, write the backstory of one of the characters, who until this point was an "extra" and then continue, as without a few key bits of information about who you're involving, even from the side lines, you may project a blinkered storyline.

This is something I'm going to have to think about. Adding the background to a secondary character leading to a spin-off is quite a way to write- I've seen this in David Weber's Honor Harrington novels. He's gotten two sub-story series going along that have forked off of the main series, and Weber describes events going on in other areas besides the 'core' areas (the 'core' areas also being, even indirectly, referenced) , how they relate to the main story line and how all three interact.


"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-28 10:17:32 Reply

At 7/27/13 09:54 PM, Elixur wrote: This entire post is just me talking and asking a million questions.

This entire post is just me telling you to shut up and write.

At some point we get lost in our own expectations, our own fantasies and desires. We become debilitated by our fears and insecurities and perfectionism.

We forget that when we're writing we're creating art. Look up the word "art" and you'll find that there is no concrete, exclusive definition. "Art" is a broad spectrum label for self expression. When you start to set expectations for what your art is or what it should do (survive the centuries, as was one example) you're missing the point. Art is not meant to last forever for everyone, only for yourself. At the end, when you're steps from death, you won't be thinking about what Mozart did, or Picasso, or Stephen King, you'll be thinking about what you didn't do.

Write like every word is poison; just get it out of your body.

When you hold onto your words because you're afraid they're not good enough, or you're not doing it right, or your thoughts and ideas aren't new, or original, or fresh, you build a wall that'll only make it harder to get them out.

Break that negative feedback loop. Then shut up and write.

At 7/27/13 10:34 PM, Blue-SilverDragon wrote:
At 7/27/13 06:14 PM, Coop wrote: Some characters don't initially need to be known about, but as a writer, it may prove that as your work progresses, you may need to hold fire, write the backstory of one of the characters, who until this point was an "extra" and then continue, as without a few key bits of information about who you're involving, even from the side lines, you may project a blinkered storyline.
This is something I'm going to have to think about. Adding the background to a secondary character leading to a spin-off is quite a way to write- I've seen this in David Weber's Honor Harrington novels. He's gotten two sub-story series going along that have forked off of the main series, and Weber describes events going on in other areas besides the 'core' areas (the 'core' areas also being, even indirectly, referenced) , how they relate to the main story line and how all three interact.

Worldbuilding is not a simple task. It takes a lot of work. If you don't do it, that's fine, but you risk falling into the trap of creating a flat, plot-revolving world. Meaning your conflicts will be dull and forced, your characters will be puppets, not people, and your reader will not understand what you're trying to relate.

It's a lot of work. And in the end you only use about 10%. But it's necessary. And, in fact, one of the fun parts of writing. You're creating. Playing God. Savor this part of the process. Because when the plot is kicking your ass, it'll be your eventual salvation.

Blue-SilverDragon
Blue-SilverDragon
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-07-28 15:16:23 Reply

At 7/28/13 10:17 AM, Deathcon7 wrote: Worldbuilding is not a simple task. It takes a lot of work. If you don't do it, that's fine, but you risk falling into the trap of creating a flat, plot-revolving world. Meaning your conflicts will be dull and forced, your characters will be puppets, not people, and your reader will not understand what you're trying to relate.

It's a lot of work. And in the end you only use about 10%. But it's necessary. And, in fact, one of the fun parts of writing. You're creating. Playing God. Savor this part of the process. Because when the plot is kicking your ass, it'll be your eventual salvation.

I have been doing a lot of worldbuilding with one of my main projects, to avoid creating a dull world and forced plots. I actually like creating the framework I want the project to take place in, because I want to create a real world that the characters know and understand. There are times where I'm thinking 'Well, if there's this going on within this one country, where its generally acceptable to do it, what about some areas of this same country where its frowned upon? What would be the reasoning? What debate would there be? In what form would there be conflict over this matter?' I've really found how key research is, so I can strengthen the material supporting the framework.


"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Bullslap
Bullslap
  • Member since: Apr. 29, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-08-05 18:27:36 Reply

Also been doing some writing essays for material I want to develop. We're talking background information like geography, countries, social material and society, etc to make the writing more realistic in nature, so the reader can feel more authenticity for what they're reading. Its a bit slower than expected, though.

Have you ever read any of Karen Traviss' works? She starts every chapter with a small excerpt, a paragraph or a couple lines, from in-universe culture. She references studies, essays, speeches, significant historical events, all sorts of stuff. It makes it feel like there is more going on in the universe than just her characters.

Blue-SilverDragon
Blue-SilverDragon
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-08-06 21:57:16 Reply

At 8/5/13 06:27 PM, Bullslap wrote: Have you ever read any of Karen Traviss' works? She starts every chapter with a small excerpt, a paragraph or a couple lines, from in-universe culture. She references studies, essays, speeches, significant historical events, all sorts of stuff. It makes it feel like there is more going on in the universe than just her characters.

I'm afraid I haven't. I just browsed her bibliography on Wikipedia; what would you recommend starting with?


"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson