Be a Supporter!

Writing Forum Lounge

  • 88,557 Views
  • 2,490 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Loki
Loki
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 05:22 PM Reply

Back home... story time.

Loki
Loki
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 06:02 PM Reply

Here, three short stories I started over a year ago and that I never got to finish. Yours to decide which one I should complete. I think all 3 of them aren't bad, but I will only finish one of them. :P

I just want to know which one you'd be interested in reading so I don't waste my time :(

SilentCobra
SilentCobra
  • Member since: Oct. 25, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 06:26 PM Reply

God!!! Sorry Agent Plox, just a word of advice, please make new paragraphs when people are talking. It's a hole hell of a lot easier on the eyes. That's the major downside to the internet, there really is no place where people can properly format their literary works. :(


Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1
Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 43
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 06:58 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 06:26 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: God!!! Sorry Agent Plox, just a word of advice, please make new paragraphs when people are talking. It's a hole hell of a lot easier on the eyes. That's the major downside to the internet, there really is no place where people can properly format their literary works. :(

Everyone writes differently, however in books that's how they tend to look except they can tab their paragraphs and here you realyl can't do that anyways. Will admit though, FBIpolux writes some very nice stories.

jake-thesnake
jake-thesnake
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Artist
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 07:20 PM Reply

Home from school, now it's time to read some stories :D


|Foxes Club| |I VOICE ACT.|
PSN ID: jake-thesnake_ng XBL: SFC Fox Paw

BBS Signature
SilentCobra
SilentCobra
  • Member since: Oct. 25, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 07:23 PM Reply

Just because we can't tab our paragraphs doesn't mean we can't double space the story now does it SCTE3? I think not. That's what I do with mine. Speaking of writers, where the hell is Idiot-Finder? you'd think that he'd flock here within seconds or minutes of the writing forum being released. Hmm.


Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1
Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 43
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 07:27 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 07:23 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: Just because we can't tab our paragraphs doesn't mean we can't double space the story now does it SCTE3? I think not. That's what I do with mine.

As I said, we all post in our own style you know? Yea a lot of us prefer to double space but some single space it because they have a lot to write.

Speaking of writers, where the hell is Idiot-Finder? you'd think that he'd flock here within seconds or minutes of the writing forum being released. Hmm.

He's out living up to his name and looking for idiots of course.

<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 08:01 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 07:27 PM, SCTE3 wrote: As I said, we all post in our own style you know? Yea a lot of us prefer to double space but some single space it because they have a lot to write.

With artistic decisions aside, I'm going to make it known yet again (I'll shut up one of these days, but seeing as it's still a topic) that I prefer writers to double-space their paragraphs here, if only on the accounts that not doing so makes it harder to read without me copying and pasting it elsewhere and that because indenting doesn't work, it's sometimes tricky to see whether a paragraph has ended at all, if the last sentence of it stops towards the right side of the screen. I've personally advised writers that want to split up paragraphs in continuity with paragraphs taking place in an alternative timescale (or something) to separate the sections like this:

timeline1timeline1timeline1timeline1time line1timeline1timeline1timeline1timeline 1timeline1timeline1timeline1timeline1tim eline1timeline1timeline1timeline1timelin e1timeline1timeline1timeline1timeline1ti meline1timeline1timeline1timeline1timeli ne1timeline1timeline1timeline1timeline1t imeline1timeline1timeline1timeline1timel ine1timeline1timeline1timeline1timeline1 timeline1timeline1timeline1

***/...

timeline2timeline2timeline2timeline2time line2timeline2timeline2timeline2timeline 2timeline2timeline2timeline2timeline2tim eline2timeline2timeline2timeline2timelin e2timeline2timeline2timeline2timeline2ti meline2timeline2timeline2timeline2timeli ne2timeline2timeline2timeline2timeline2t imeline2timeline2timeline2timeline2timel ine2timeline2timeline2timeline2timeline2 timeline2timeline2

, because a popular way of doing so usually would be to simply double-space. If double-spacing is to be used as a normal way of spacing paragraphs here though, then we might as well make appropriate alterations using ellipsis, stars, whatever.

While I think it was brushed upon, I'll say from my own point of view, that while we all like to experiment with different methods of writing because we're at just the right stage for it, some methods still need to be moderated a little bit. Many scriptwriting people and websites for example, make it painfully clear to beginners not to start with Pulp Fiction/Run Lola Run/Sliding Doors/Irreversible/Memento styled narratives, because they take a bit of skill to really use effectively (and in the case of Run Lola Run, it's used to the point where the plot is actually meaningless anyway, as it's used to convey a sort of 'choice and chance' feel to fantastic levels). If you really think you could handle something along those lines and you want to challenge yourself though, cool. I'd like to read what you get out of it!

***

I just watched The Right Stuff, finally - it was very good, I recommend it. It's the sort of film to throw in the mouths of those that say artistic output in the '80s had no zeal. It's quite long for a standard film, but it never really tired me due to how well it was presented and how the characters made sense to their real-life counterparts (it's about real-life pilots and astronauts). I think part of it comes down Tom Wolfe's love for detail, so it can be somewhat easier to transfer across.

Speaking of Tom Wolfe, have any of you ever read any of his stuff? I have Bonfire of the Vanities waiting for me at home, but otherwise I'm new to him. I'm expecting it to be a challenging read going off reputation. I saw Brian De Palma's film version for class, which I'm aware isn't particularly true to the novel. It wasn't a 'bad' film on its own unlike how others have described it, though I could tell it was pretty over-budgeted.

Maybe I could call that effect Godfather III syndrome, or something.

Skye-McCloud
Skye-McCloud
  • Member since: May. 8, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 08:50 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 08:01 PM, Scarab wrote: With artistic decisions aside, I'm going to make it known yet again (I'll shut up one of these days, but seeing as it's still a topic) that I prefer writers to double-space their paragraphs here, if only on the accounts that not doing so makes it harder to read without me copying and pasting it elsewhere and that because indenting doesn't work, it's sometimes tricky to see whether a paragraph has ended at all, if the last sentence of it stops towards the right side of the screen.

I'll also note, if you really want to not do double spacing, then do others the favour of putting it all in a txt file or something, with the indentations, and the link it from off site (At least until we get the option to upload them to the forum or get the writing portal). Otherwise, double spacing your paragraphs helps everyone read your work a little easier.

InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 09:05 PM Reply

At 1/28/10 07:23 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: Just because we can't tab our paragraphs doesn't mean we can't double space the story now does it SCTE3?

This aspect of internet forums bothers me because an otherwise short dialog can easily take up a page (in a word processor). It's not particularly a problem if the characters are long winded, but it gets a bit ugly if you have to double space a bunch of one-liners. But eh, I guess there's nothing we can do about it. I've gotten in the habit of double spacing all my stories so if I decide to post it up online, I won't have to go back and double space 30,000 words (or more) worth of paragraphs.

Another thing that I don't like is that I can't copy and paste text formatting such as italics into a post. Not so bad if you only have a short thing, but if you have 8,000 characters per post to sift through for the sake of adding in html, it gets tedious. But, again, nothing we can do.

At 1/28/10 07:27 PM, SCTE3 wrote: As I said, we all post in our own style you know? Yea a lot of us prefer to double space but some single space it because they have a lot to write.

This is true. Double spacing eats up characters. That's why I wish the text field didn't count spaces, like how microsoft word gives you statistics for character count with and without spaces.

At 1/28/10 08:50 PM, Skye-McCloud wrote: Otherwise, double spacing your paragraphs helps everyone read your work a little easier.

This. It is an eyesore, being that's we're staring at a computer screen and not written/printed text. The only excuse, I think, would be if you're trying to fit a certain section all in one post and you can do that if you remove the double spacing.


[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Member since: Aug. 29, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 09:25 PM Reply

I'm just wondering, once the writer portal opens

Which of those stories I have written on Fiction Press would be suitable enough to submit?


Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 11:02 PM Reply

Just popping my head in to say I like the "how to" thread idea and I think that'd be worthwhile to have become a sticky that could be updated as new resources become available, or with just basic stuff. I think that could be really helpful, but I'd love to see it as a sticky so it's not "competing" with other threads that new writers who'd like some pointers might not be aware of.


You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
RWT
RWT
  • Member since: May. 19, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 11:31 PM Reply

Hello, I'm RWT. I generally fill up a few pages or so nightly writing poetry or just free-writing, so I decided to share some of it with the world.

My favorite poets are Wordsworth and Shelley... and that's about all I have to say about me as a writer.

Oh, yes, and I abhore rhetorical writing. That should align me nicely against a few people.

-~ RWT ~-

Germane comments:

I will probably tend to single space on here. If it's difficult to read, just copy the text into notepad and blow it up. That's how I write all of my stuff. :-P


If you don't like my poetry, scroll down the page a bit. It gets better.

BBS Signature
Redface
Redface
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 11:36 PM Reply

My story/poetry thread. New stuff every week (maybe)!


Twitter|Big Mean Flash Gamer| Art by John Dyer Baizley, sig by Shaun.

BBS Signature
fli
fli
  • Member since: Jul. 22, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 11:56 PM Reply

After reading a few scripts, I can say that reading a script on Newgrounds SUCKS. The colors are just tweaking the hell out of my eyes.

It's not so much of a problem with the stories.

Folks, if you want to write a script-- consider getting Celtx.
I use Final Draft Pro, but Celtx is good. I've used it several times, and many professionals use it (I heard Diablo Cody used it for Juno.)

It's a software mostly for screenplays, but it's good enough for stageplays. I think they've made an update where people can distinguish the two formats.

Plus, it can export to PDF format... and people can upload there stuff on a PDF host site, and link it here.

http://celtx.com/
I'm thinking of making a tutorial for screenwritters and playwrights for the benefit of the playwrights and screenwriters.

Loki
Loki
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 01:16 AM Reply

At 1/28/10 11:02 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: Just popping my head in to say I like the "how to"

Like this?
:P

Loki
Loki
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 02:23 AM Reply

I translated a full page of my novel. Enjoy. Excuse the horrible English, I translated it myself from French.

[...]"Look at that kitty; it really has no idea of what's going to happen", or "you know, this girl was consenting... well I think. I don't really understand gals. "

After about ten minutes of crawling, crouching, slipping and tripping in the dark, Harvey Calhoun finally interrupted their adventure. Vincent was happy Harvey stopped, because if he didn't, he would have never seen the abyssal hole in the middle of the passage.

-Here we are. Come take a look, it's something.

The twelve years old boy pointed his flashlight towards the chasm. Slowly, Vincent Peterson crawled closer. Without any risky movements, he leaned over and admitted it looked like an endless hole; a gate leading straight to Hell.
He turned around to Harvey, who looked febrile, just like Vincent when he was about to do
something bad. Curiously, Vincent wasn't excited. He was mostly apprehending what was about to
happen. He considered the hole once more, and then stared at Harvey who was working on getting
the cat out of the cage without getting scratched. All of a sudden, multiple possibilities opened to
him. He came conscious of the unique opportunity opened to him. Nobody knew he was in the
Monster Cave. He had told his mom he was going in town, which was a lie. He had no alibi, but he was just a child. He wouldn't need one.
Harvey Calhoun pushed the cat back in the cage as it had all its claws out and ready to hurt.

-Looks like that old tom wants to end up in his cage. Who knows, maybe it is better like that? Maybe it's going to do more noise. Ready, Peterson?

-Yes, let's end this. I hope it will be more interesting than with my knife.

Harvey Calhoun started laughing maniacally, dropped the flashlight on the ground and grabbed the cage. He peeked at Vincent, who stepped away from the hole and hauled the cage over his head.

-So, farewell, cruel world!

He then threw the cage with all his strength in the middle of the hole. At the same moment, Vincent sneaked behind him.
The cat emitted a horrible caterwaul as its cage was spinning quickly in the endless hole. Harvey Calhoun cheered and leaned over the hole.

-Come take a look Peterson! It looks like that stupid cat is well on its way to China! Maybe they're going to talk about it on T.V....

It was now or never. Spontaneously, Vincent used all his weight and charged Harvey Calhoun's massive back.
Calhoun didn't see the impact coming. He had no stability, over the hole. He still attempted to regain his balance by shaking his arms all around over him, but it was hopeless. He revolved on a foot, but his overweight got reason of him. Glaring one last time at Vincent, he fell in the hole.
Vincent, who had hurt his shoulder by elbowing the massive Harvey Calhoun, finally felt it was safe to get close to the cavity. He barely got time to see Harvey's body fall swiftly towards the middle of the Earth. His scream echoed in the cavern for a good minute before extinguishing forever.
An endless hole - Vincent rose up on his feet giggling. I hope it was really an endless hole. He deserves it. Son of a bitch.
He spat in the hole.

-Stupid cat.

[...]

Pink-Ninja
Pink-Ninja
  • Member since: May. 26, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 07:32 AM Reply

Wow, that was quite dark polux.


*Sshhh... I'm an NSA spy bot

BBS Signature
WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Member since: Jan. 8, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 08:57 AM Reply

Trying to get back into the rhythm of night-time writing. I'll probably just focus on writing a few short stories for a little while, nothing too ambitious, and see what comes of it. I started rewriting my novel earlier this month, but I've decided to hold off until I get the whole lot planned out better. It should give me some great opportunities to try and get a few short stories published, that'll probably help with the whole novel writing thing later down the track.

Tonight I started writing a story about a woman who fails a suicide attempt, of which the resulting events lead her to make a deal with the devil. I think it's got potential.


READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Member since: May. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 09:18 AM Reply

I got my start last night on my anthology piece. Its a very emotive, yet detached piece.


Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
FlashCam
FlashCam
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 09:44 AM Reply

This is what I came up when I posted

John grabbed the mouse and started slamming it down onto the table. He tediously maxed the volume for no apparent reason and glued his eyes to the screen.

'Why isn't the damn Castle Crashers downloading so slow?!!' he thought furiously, biting his tongue.

'Probably cause I'm doing it on a crappy website,' answering his own question. 'John, you should really stop talking to yourself.'

Suddenly, an error message popped up. Clicking it profusely, he wondered if he should have Safari. Just as he was gonna buy random crap at Ebay again, his Gameboy exploded.

'WHAT THE HELL????!!!!' he screamed, throwing the refuse onto the floor.

Staring at the screen, rubbing his blood-shot eyes, he wondered if should go try Omegle chat.

Uh... I*'m done

Don't you DARE click my sig....

BBS Signature
tigerkitty
tigerkitty
  • Member since: Oct. 5, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 10:39 AM Reply

At 1/29/10 08:57 AM, WritersBlock wrote: Tonight I started writing a story about a woman who fails a suicide attempt, of which the resulting events lead her to make a deal with the devil. I think it's got potential.

Constantine meets Faust, sounds intriguing.

I am alone in devoutly wishing that people would proof-read their stuff before slapping it into a thread. While I'm all for writing as inspiration hits, I'm a big proponent of reading it over before laying it out for everyone else. It doesn't take long, and it helps overall.

<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 10:41 AM Reply

This is probably something that a lot of you do anyway, but because of the difficulties brought up by copying and pasting something directly from a file to a forum post (paragraphing, losing italics, etc.), I quite often make a 'real copy' and a 'Newgrounds copy', the latter of which has double-spacing and HTML tags. It's understandable that creating a 'Newgrounds copy' of pre-existing material is a bit of a chore, and even more so with longer works like IFUN brought up, but this is just a suggestion of something I've found useful before.

Additionally, I quite often don't bother with a 'real copy' at all if the thing is intended for Newgrounds, in response to something on Newgrounds, like this post. If I had the original with me now, I'd post a screenshot. You get the idea without it though. For the purposes of this forum as of right now, I'm usually going through both.

At 1/28/10 11:56 PM, fli wrote: After reading a few scripts, I can say that reading a script on Newgrounds SUCKS. The colors are just tweaking the hell out of my eyes.

It's not so much of a problem with the stories.

I can agree with this; it sort of ties in with what I've said already about stories. What's worse is that double-spacing between dialogue in these scripts wastes even more character space than usual, meaning you could have around ten minutes of script in too many posts, if that makes sense.

I'm backing up the Celtx suggestion here, as I've linked it up in my thread (linked below). What's useful about Celtx, Final Draft, and related programs are that they help with the technicalities of scriptwriting. If anyone here has thoughts of writing for television or film, then there some additional things to learn besides simply having character and dialogue, though these two components are obviously the meat of any script.

I'm thinking of making a tutorial for screenwritters and playwrights for the benefit of the playwrights and screenwriters.

That'd be awesome. If you know of any more resources that might be useful, including your own thing if you write it, perhaps you could add it to this thread I made, designed as a sort of bank for links and decent scripts worth keeping note of. There's something I plan on adding to it later - why I don't bother doing so now is addressed below in the common section I'm now calling SCARAB'S CORNER.

Or not.

***

I'm at home for the weekend, and being an idiot, I don't bring the one thing I was working on more than anything else, that being a script. However, I may be able to work on a story or two that I've been throwing around. Nothing too big, just basic ideas. I have two ideas more complex in mind, but we'll see. It's nice ot log on each day and see the forum more... I'll say complete. Sorry I haven't gotten round to commenting on more stuff - will try to do so after I say hi to the family and get some reading done.

Flicking backwards and forwards through the Lovecraft collection I have, I read two more stories from it last night which I enjoyed: 'The Outsider' and 'The Picture In The House' (I think?). The former had a great concept, and although I could predict the ending (I've found I can be quite savvy when it comes to his writing now), it was stll satisfying. The latter on the other hand, was well characterised and rich with references that actually made sense.

I want to get into some of the older, nineteenth century New England literature: Hawthorne, Poe, etc. Any suggestions?

tigerkitty
tigerkitty
  • Member since: Oct. 5, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 10:59 AM Reply

At 1/29/10 10:41 AM, Scarab wrote: I want to get into some of the older, nineteenth century New England literature: Hawthorne, Poe, etc. Any suggestions?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

and while I can't say I know for certain about specific New England origins, other 19th Century American authors that I recommend are:

Henry David Thoreau
Walt Whitman
Herman Melville
Emily Dickinson
Kate Chopin
Stephen Crane
Cotton Mather

<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 11:47 AM Reply

At 1/29/10 10:39 AM, tigerkitty wrote: I am alone in devoutly wishing that people would proof-read their stuff before slapping it into a thread. While I'm all for writing as inspiration hits, I'm a big proponent of reading it over before laying it out for everyone else. It doesn't take long, and it helps overall.

It's definitely something I try to encourage, because I agree with you when you say it just helps. In the last MWC I judged, I found myself at some points attatching a comment relating to proof-reading to every other submission. It sounds so impersonal at times, but any help I can offer to writers on the topic isn't going to go further than just making them aware.

I sound snobby here - I'm aware that I'm by no means perfect, but I'm backing tigerkitty up.

At 1/29/10 10:59 AM, tigerkitty wrote: suggestions

Thank you very much, all appreciated. My biggest interests lie in American literature, so anything's good here. I know of some of the writers already, so I'll seek the ones out that I can.

BarryPlionaer
BarryPlionaer
  • Member since: Aug. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 12:04 PM Reply

I really REALLY HATE whoring my works out.

BUT I want to know who can understand the true story behind the one I posted in my post, "Dead men Don't talk".

Please do not crucify me... I'm a desperate man.

Loki
Loki
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 12:53 PM Reply

At 1/29/10 07:32 AM, Pink-Ninja wrote: Wow, that was quite dark polux.

Thanks that's the overall desired effect of my novel.

aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 01:00 PM Reply

At 1/29/10 01:16 AM, FBIpolux wrote: Like this?
P

Decent start, but I meant something that would help more with the mechanics, since I think that's going to be a big problem for novices, especially younger novices who maybe haven't had as many english classes as some of the older writers would have (purely talking about age and grade level things here, remember the youngest NGers are 13).

I also was of the opinion a thread like that should be done by admins as a sticky because otherwise it's going to have to keep getting bumped all the time because it will disappear off the first page super fast as people are posting up their work (that is something we're still working out structurally).

The other part that immediately concerns me there is the "don't censor yourself" bit. This to me is the biggest reason why I feel (and please don't take this like I'm taking a personal shot at you, I'm not) that guides like this will ultimately have to be stickied, or have a mod behind it because one thing that we are very clear about and the rest of the board needs to be clear about is the forum rules still apply here. Let me repeat: THE FORUM RULES STILL APPLY HERE. Just because it's a creative forum doesn't make it exempt. I bring this up especially in case people think it's now going to be ok to subvert the word filter, or words that are banned elsewhere will be ok as long as it "suits my story", no, nope, no way. Everything that is banned or deemed inappropriate elsewhere in the POSTED rules (the stuff that's specific to only certain forums doesn't count here obviously) is still inappropriate here. I've locked one thread already solely because it had a banned word in the title and I will absolutely do it again in the future if I have to.

So for me I think the writing help thread should probably work as more of a mechanics and what not guide that would also reinforce any sort of forum structures we're going to put in place. I'd love to keep getting people's input before we do that though (I think the other folks agree, but again this is me speaking personally and not for the rest of the gold auras), gums topic being as I said the place I think to do it. Then we can organize the thing and get an official sticky together and we will all know what's expected of us.


You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
BarryPlionaer
BarryPlionaer
  • Member since: Aug. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 01:52 PM Reply

This is driving me insane. I know, I'm moving crap in this post but I just need a tiny response, say its horrible or I need to cut off my fingers, but at least read my work and comment! I know it sucks so just prove it to me!

gamerpeepinpa
gamerpeepinpa
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 06:49 PM Reply

Hellooo. First time posting. Writing is the only hobby that I have, really, and the only thing I'm interested in doing. I discovered my liking for it in 3rd grade, and it's been my only consistent hobby for about 7 years. I've been a storyteller longer than I've been a poet, but I love both.

Also, noob question: are we allowed to post separate threads for poems and stories? I'm guessing so, but I'd just like to make sure.


hi