New Topic Respond to this Topic
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-12 18:33:20 Reply

At 23 hours ago, DarkAlmighty wrote: Wow, finally glad I found somewhere to post my literary works. I don't write much, it's more of a hobby, but I'm currently working on something huge at the moment.

Well, while you're working on something huge, perhaps you'd like to share what you've done other than that?

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
SicllianNinJaG
SicllianNinJaG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-13 12:21:56 Reply

Salutations all, I'm G and I've been around NG for a LONG time. I remember playing Johnny Rocketfingers and falling in love with the suppish (not giving a fuck) attitude, the style of the writer/animator, I only felt that it needed a better plot. Same with several other great classics on NG.

I don't have much prospect as an animator, or voice actor, or even a writer for that matter but I've always been able to string together a collective series of events and turn make a plot out of it, but I digress.

The other day I was reading and my younger sister, (She's 16, for the record.) was watching the PowerPuff Girls movie, my friend and I had started to discuss the twisted reality of it, and started creating hypothetical scenarios to which I base these ideas from. It's a very interesting twist and I feel as though I hold Parody gold. If interested, don't hesitate to contact me for I will be more than willing to share my idea to an animator that has the will and opportunity to make something of it.

Like I said I haven't done much as far as voice acting goes, besides a video or two in my youth, but I'd be more than willing to assist in the production. Have a good day and god bless.

Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-14 00:23:33 Reply

At 3 days ago, Deathcon7 wrote: I'm looking to get in at least 1 or 2 judges that are respected, and instead of providing literary critique, provide pure opinion as as enthusiast and reader. But if you do like to write, and you can also provide technical analysis, that'll be a definite plus!

I sent you a PM about doing just that. Let me know if you need my help, okay?

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnEndel959
JohnEndel959
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-14 01:44:47 Reply

Hey, does anyone know how to fix the problems with the special characters from Microsoft Word? I tried following directions on the internet to get it to show as plain text, saved it into Notepad as a .txt file, and when I pasted it into the box I chose to 'paste as plain text.' If there are no other ways to fix it other than just going through the entire story and replacing it by hand once it's in the box, what should I use to write instead? Google Documents?

On a completely unrelated note, I've posted up a story which I'm pretty proud of, besides all the crap with the special characters. Check out "The Mask" if you feel like it, and critique it if you can! It's my first horror story, but I've read heavily into horror, and I've also flipped through Stephen King's Danse Macabre trying to get an idea of how to craft a good scary story. I think I did well enough for a first try, but I'd like to hear where I went wrong.

Sig by Byteslinger.
Writing by John Endel.
Zombie Story! <= read it! Nuclear Apocalypse Story! <= read this too!

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-14 18:23:47 Reply

Rav, Deft: I got your PMs and your offer is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.

Due to an unforeseen scheduling fuck up, I didn't get to this this past weekend, but I should be able to do it this upcoming weekend. If anyone else wants to send their volunteer early, please PM me. It'll make launching the MWC a lot smoother.

MSWorrywart
MSWorrywart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-15 21:22:56 Reply

ALERT!!!!

A big fan of these old walls has recently attained membership ~ HURRAY! Call me Worrywart.

I'm here for collabs, but the comfort of friendly artsy shwatts is a bed I'd use for banging anyday. Writing groups I admit are full of eyeless sprigs that float around like ignorant nuns with whips, but Newgrounds is so nonchalant that I doubt I'll let another's spontaneous pontification crush my moose-faced charisma; I feel at home already!

*Brush*,*Garble*, *Spit*, *Swallow*...

Its a new day.
Kisses all around! <3

JohnEndel959
JohnEndel959
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-15 23:52:32 Reply

At 2 hours ago, MSWorrywart wrote: ALERT!!!!

That... was the most interesting introduction I have read for quite some time.

Welcome!

Sig by Byteslinger.
Writing by John Endel.

BBS Signature
nthckr
nthckr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-17 00:50:44 Reply

Hey, look, it's people that write stuff! Nice.

I've tried to do some of that and failed miserably (but that hasn't stopped interspecies romance writers, now has it)?

I found out about five seconds ago that you can dump your notes and assorted stuff here. That's pretty nice. I'm forcing myself to actually finish doing something longer than one chapter for once and pulling up distraction movies and such seemed like the perfect thing to distra- sorry, "inspire" me. (Who said that?)

And that's about it. Me gusta escribir y no creo que voy a parar. I also do music (which is better than the writing, even if it's less fun in the end). A story could possibly make it's way onto the interwebs but first it has to be finished.

Well then, back to writing.
*cough*
...why are you still standing there?

BubblyMac
BubblyMac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-17 01:28:00 Reply

Uploading has actually been pretty frustrating for me. I have some one-off version of Word that doesn't save .doc files, so I'm forced to upload everything a .zip through Google Docs. FRUSTRATION.

"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed." - Charlie Chaplin
"The Broken Window"

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-17 09:26:59 Reply

At 7 days ago, Coop wrote:
At 1 day ago, DeftAndEvil wrote: We are all melancholy that there are no auras for writers.
It'll come. We're in the ascendancy under this version of Newgrounds, I feel.

We should get an underdog sticker...

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
BubblyMac
BubblyMac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-18 01:29:10 Reply

So just skimming through, I saw something about a pseudo lit portal - can anyone fill me in?

"The Broken Window"

BBS Signature
DarkAlmighty
DarkAlmighty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-18 11:39:08 Reply

At 5 days ago, Coop wrote:
At 23 hours ago, DarkAlmighty wrote: Wow, finally glad I found somewhere to post my literary works. I don't write much, it's more of a hobby, but I'm currently working on something huge at the moment.
Well, while you're working on something huge, perhaps you'd like to share what you've done other than that?

Haha, you think I'm talking about two different things, don't you?

What I meant is the Zelda fanfic I'm working on, which is going to be the greatest literary piece I've ever done. All I need to know is how to post it here.
Also attached an image for teaser value.

Writing Forum Lounge

I don't need a life. I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-18 19:34:40 Reply

At 1 day ago, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote:
At 7 days ago, Coop wrote:
At 1 day ago, DeftAndEvil wrote: We are all melancholy that there are no auras for writers.
It'll come. We're in the ascendancy under this version of Newgrounds, I feel.
We should get an underdog sticker...

What, like the old "Underdog of the Week" image from the Flash Portal. I can see it, barely.

At 7 hours ago, DarkAlmighty wrote:
At 5 days ago, Coop wrote:
Haha, you think I'm talking about two different things, don't you?

Literary works is plural. I don't mean to split hairs (Okay, so I do, but just go with it for now), but what I was on about was you showing us what you've written other than this, so that you blowing your own trumpet is in some way justified.

What I meant is the Zelda fanfic I'm working on, which is going to be the greatest literary piece I've ever done. All I need to know is how to post it here.

Oh great, fan fiction. I'm not a fan, because some people feel too bound to the characters in the actual story itself, rather than taking the setting and using that, barely even referring to the "main characters". Excuse me for sounding arrogant and not holding out much hope.

How to post it here. Make a thread or better yet a News Post, so that you can edit it. Put the work in the text box and submit it. You may need more than one news post for it, but you're not held by such a limit. Then, make a thread in writing or just a post in here, with all of the links.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
DarkAlmighty
DarkAlmighty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-25 02:19:40 Reply

Oh great, fan fiction. I'm not a fan, because some people feel too bound to the characters in the actual story itself, rather than taking the setting and using that, barely even referring to the "main characters". Excuse me for sounding arrogant and not holding out much hope.

How to post it here. Make a thread or better yet a News Post, so that you can edit it. Put the work in the text box and submit it. You may need more than one news post for it, but you're not held by such a limit. Then, make a thread in writing or just a post in here, with all of the links.

Well there's still hope. Though the first little bit revolves around canons, I do have originals set in place as the main characters.

News post, eh? Doesn't sound too bad. I might give it a try sometime in the future.

I don't need a life. I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-25 12:22:37 Reply

Hey, can you guys stop posting poetry? It's pretty lame and there seems to be no real feedback other than "it is nice, but line x needs more flow." The poetry is generic and the feedback is generic; there is no stimulation of the mind, nor is there any fostering of writing talent.

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
BubblyMac
BubblyMac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-25 14:27:09 Reply

Yeah, that's fine. We'll just sit around and wait on you to post your novels and philosophies.

Everybody should just have their own thread to post allof their work.

/hypocrite

"The Broken Window"

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-25 18:34:29 Reply

At 3 hours ago, BubblyMac wrote: Yeah, that's fine. We'll just sit around and wait on you to post your novels and philosophies.

Everybody should just have their own thread to post allof their work.
/hypocrite

I don't post anything because I only trust a few individuals on NG to give me feedback, and get most of my shit done via pm. It's not about attention; I don't want it; I don't care for it; I don't post for attention, unlike some. If you are gonna post something, make sure it's your goddamn best effort.

You're right; everyone should have their own thread to post all of their work, which is something we always tell newcomers. And if all of that work is piece-of-crap-five-minute poetry, with piece-of-crap-five-second commentaries, bogging down the NG writing forum--well, if I feel like complaining about it, I will. It's my right; it's your right to criticize my complaint.

Do you know what a hypocrite is?

BBS Signature
WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-25 20:10:01 Reply

At 7 days ago, Coop wrote: Oh great, fan fiction. I'm not a fan, because some people feel too bound to the characters in the actual story itself, rather than taking the setting and using that, barely even referring to the "main characters". Excuse me for sounding arrogant and not holding out much hope.

Fan fiction, for me, is something of a guilty pleasure. It's something I write only sparingly, when an idea strikes that's just too good to throw away. Mostly, I think the problem lies in people letting their fandom get in the way of telling a good story. You need to be able to remove yourself from that fandom, step back from their story, step back from your own story, and figure out how you can blend the two together in a way that's both entertaining and original. If it's about fulfilling your own fantasies, it's only going to appeal to people who share your fantasies, ie. people who share your fandom, otherwise, no one else would care.

The last couple of fin fiction stories I've worked on have been more mashups/parodies than straight up fan fiction. Which is how I think it should be if you want people to read it without feeling like they need to be obsessed with the original to like your stories.

My last fan fiction was a blend of "Felix and the Sacred Thor" and "Shatnerquake" and is about a fictional version of myself nerdgasming all over the authors at a convention when the characters in "Thor" come to life by mirroring the plot of "Shatnerquake". Shameless fanfiction plug: Thorquake.

Now, by choosing niche market books, this won't make much sense to people who aren't familiar with the original stories, but the whole purpose is that I'm taking them in a new direction, and not just simply rehashing where every other fan has gone before with the typical fan fiction. I'm also currently working on a fan fiction based around "Placenta of Love", where the characters pick back up on the conflicts left hanging at the end of the book, and seek to resolve them by going to a theme park ride version of Inception. If you're particularly fond of a piece of fiction, there's nothing wrong with a bit of fan fiction, but it'll be a lot more interesting if you treat it like an original story, and not a disposable fantasy that every fanboy goes through.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
BubblyMac
BubblyMac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-26 00:00:48 Reply

At 5 hours ago, DeftAndEvil wrote: If you are gonna post something, make sure it's your goddamn best effort.

See that's where I disagree. While I don't feel like you should be posting garbage, but I have no problem with somebody putting up a half-finished work or just a treatment if what you're seeking is criticism/help/suggestions. I think that's one of the greatest perks of having a writing community like we have.

And I wasn't calling you a hypocrite, I was calling myself one. I have two or three seperate threads just for single poems I've written. Sorry for the confusion :P

"The Broken Window"

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-26 15:47:44 Reply

At 21 hours ago, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 3 hours ago, BubblyMac wrote:
/hypocrite
Do you know what a hypocrite is?

I'm not sure, his definition of one in his signature is pretty accurate :P

At 19 hours ago, WritersBlock wrote:
At 7 days ago, Coop wrote: Oh great, fan fiction. I'm not a fan, because some people feel too bound to the characters in the actual story itself, rather than taking the setting and using that, barely even referring to the "main characters". Excuse me for sounding arrogant and not holding out much hope.
Fan fiction, for me, is something of a guilty pleasure. It's something I write only sparingly, when an idea strikes that's just too good to throw away. Mostly, I think the problem lies in people letting their fandom get in the way of telling a good story.

This, I wholeheartedly agree with - people that write fanfiction should use the concept of the world and any "special rules" that apply there, to write their own piece, with new characters, or base it around the adventures of lesser ones. Taking Mario, Jake Sulley, or Marty McFly and writing fanfiction about them has been done to death. Yet each one of them comes from a unique world, where there are differences to our own reality, that the writer can feast on.

You need to be able to remove yourself from that fandom, step back from their story, step back from your own story, and figure out how you can blend the two together in a way that's both entertaining and original. If it's about fulfilling your own fantasies, it's only going to appeal to people who share your fantasies, ie. people who share your fandom, otherwise, no one else would care.

Yep, I think that my sig pic is a link to my own fanfic, though it's based around an RPG, so people get the game world and you have to work from there. My piece is also influenced by the actions of the other four player characters and that of the storyteller. I am merely telling a story from the point of view of my character.

Shameless fanfiction plug: Thorquake.

Hmm... certainly a different concept.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-27 02:39:39 Reply

Greetings and salutations to the writing forum lounge users!
I am Anabioo, and I am interested in joining the conversation here. Pardon me if I only found it pertinent to read the current (73rd) page of the discussion. I like to write, read edit, review, draw, animate, game, compose, etc.: basically Newgrounds is my playground. I have only recently become a member, but I think the site has quickly risin to be my favorite place to spend time on the internet. I am here to help and recive help (but mostly help). I am glad to have a place to talk with people like Coop and Deathcon. I hope to get to know you guys better.
Now that the intro is over with:
ScaryPicnic, I'd be glad to help you with building a narrative. We should skype or something.
BubblyMac, I have to say I've never heard of a version of Word that won't save .doc's. Whatever you are using, you should be able to "save as" a .odf or .doc.
DeftAndEvil, I agree with BubblyMac: I also have no problem with somebody putting up a half-finished work or just a treatment if what you're seeking is criticism/help/suggestions.
In response to the critique of fanfic, I've got to say I have never read any and don't see myself ever wanting to. I most certainly do not see myself writing any, at least in the popular format. It is simply, to me, a less attractive genre. Sure, I guess it's okey, just not something I'd spend a lot of time on.
Sorry if the post was too long. BTW, I made a new sig pic. How you guys like it?

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~
My super-interesting blog

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-27 02:56:32 Reply

There's a difference between a complete work and work with effort. Even if you're not finished, or you need help revising, you need to put in the effort! Help us help you. I think NG writing forum is one of the writing websites where newbies can learn the ropes and more experienced writers can get help. Writing forum ftw!

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-27 17:37:47 Reply

At 13 hours ago, Anabioo wrote: Greetings and salutations to the writing forum lounge users!

Salam.

I am here to help and recive help (but mostly help). I am glad to have a place to talk with people like Coop and Deathcon. I hope to get to know you guys better.

You should be seeing a lot more of me, now that I'm taking a more active role. Coop is the mod around here, so you'll always see him when it matters, and sometimes, too, when it doesn't. As a whole though you'll want to get to know the whole group in here. It's pretty small now, so now is the best chance to mingle with the "regulars."

DeftAndEvil, I agree with BubblyMac: I also have no problem with somebody putting up a half-finished work or just a treatment if what you're seeking is criticism/help/suggestions.

Deft isn't arguing this fact. Him and I share similar views in this regard. If someone is posting up a barely work piece because they need help, fine. Post some supporting details: what's the issue, what's the objective, what's not working. The problem arises when these 250 word ramblings, typed straight into the post box, show up in the forum. There's no supporting details, no context, nothing. Given that this forum is in its infancy, we want to increase quality of threads, over quantity of threads. Plus, in trying to attract more quality critics and enthusiasts, this low level of quality just doesn't fly.

In response to the critique of fanfic, I've got to say I have never read any and don't see myself ever wanting to. I most certainly do not see myself writing any, at least in the popular format. It is simply, to me, a less attractive genre. Sure, I guess it's okey, just not something I'd spend a lot of time on.

It's not always so bad. It's like writing with training wheels. Eventually you should move on to your own creative endeavors, but starting with fan fiction is in no way a detriment to a writer's growth. Again, the caveat being that they don't grow beyond just writing fan fiction.

Sorry if the post was too long. BTW, I made a new sig pic. How you guys like it?

For the most part we're writers. Compared to the average length of posts, yours would actually be considered fairly short :P

Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-27 23:44:10 Reply

I see what you are saying, Deathcon. Sometimes it is annoying when something is posted without any context. That is not what the forums are for. Then again, I am not really sure the forums are really for finished work either (I would put finished work somewhere else, like my blog or in published (print) medium). The NG writing forums are good for what is so characteristic of NG: collaboration. A prime example would be writing of collaborative poetry such as renga. I just started a thread for that specifically. I think forums are good for sport writing -- writing for fun. That, of course, does not mean anything goes; it does not mean anyone can just slap down a few words "for fun" up here. This place isn't just for writing, but for reading as well, and no one wants to read something that looks like a pile of dung.

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~

BBS Signature
BubblyMac
BubblyMac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-27 23:55:47 Reply

Anyone think we should have some kind of Writing Forum contest? Just to spark interest and maybe bring in some people who don't usually visit.

"The Broken Window"

BBS Signature
Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-28 00:10:43 Reply

At 7 minutes ago, BubblyMac wrote: Anyone think we should have some kind of Writing Forum contest? Just to spark interest and maybe bring in some people who don't usually visit.

Ho boy. Here we go. I hate brainstorming, but it's all for the best.
First off, we will need Coop or someone in on this to get it big enough for people who don't usually visit the Writing Forums. At the very least it needs to be put on the official NG calender.
As for the nature of the contest, what'll it be? Like a collaborative effort to complete one story? Or a battle of short stories? Exempli gratia, Entry one: [story about Bob vs Steve, Bob, the hero, wins] Entry Two: [Bob stumbles into the world of Henry, the second competitor's hero, and the two duke it out] etc. Or will it be a simple "500 words min, 1,000 max, theme=whatever, have at it, yadda yadda yadda" sort of competition? As a response to your first question, BubblyMac: Yes.

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~

BBS Signature
JohnEndel959
JohnEndel959
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-28 00:35:45 Reply

At 35 minutes ago, BubblyMac wrote: Anyone think we should have some kind of Writing Forum contest? Just to spark interest and maybe bring in some people who don't usually visit.

I don't know. Since we're trying to improve the quality of works posted here, this may not be a good idea. As I remember, the contests drew in writers, but most submissions were highly unpolished and quite raw.

Maybe to discourage last minute writing we could make it a sort of apply to participate thing? You wouldn't need to have any qualifications, but having a separate deadline for applying would make sure that those who submit have taken some time to think about what they're doing. It may be worth revisiting.

Also, Tom mentioned some sort of surprise. Do we think it could be the Lit Portal, or just some random game or movie they've been working on?

Sig by Byteslinger.
Writing by John Endel.

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-28 01:04:41 Reply

At 32 minutes ago, Anabioo wrote: Then again, I am not really sure the forums are really for finished work either (I would put finished work somewhere else, like my blog or in published (print) medium).

Is work ever finished? Even if you think it is, it can still be reviewed and critiqued and even validated.

The NG writing forums are good for what is so characteristic of NG: collaboration. A prime example would be writing of collaborative poetry such as renga. I just started a thread for that specifically. I think forums are good for sport writing -- writing for fun.

Forum games aren't allowed on NG (or so I've heard), especially something like this. The 2-word story, the limericks, and also especially the RPs (role-playing fiction) are heavily discouraged and I think they are also banned. They aren't allowed because they don't stimulate writing talent. If you want to write for fun, then I think posting on your page is where it should go, not on the Writing Forum where attention would be diverted from writers who seek help.

As for writing contests, there were three big ones in July, September, and October (100 dollar first prize). The results to the February 2011 Writing Forum writing contests were finally available a few months ago. Fro supposedly collected the results from the March/April 2011 Writing Contest about 4 weeks ago, but I don't know when the results are coming up. There will probably be a writing contest for Pico Day in April, so mark that on your calender. I think Deathcon is also heading his own Writing contest on the forum. Right now, all we can do is wait and keep writing.

BBS Signature
Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-28 03:07:59 Reply

At 1 hour ago, DeftAndEvil wrote: Forum games aren't allowed on NG (or so I've heard), especially something like this.

Renga writing isn't a forum game, is it? I could be wrong. Plus, I re-read all the forum rules in the NG wiki and found nothing against forum games or lighthearted threads.
:If you want to write for fun, then I think posting on your page is where it should go, not on the Writing Forum where attention would be diverted from writers who seek help.
OK, point valid. But that is a lot harder: gets hardly any attention.

As for writing contests, there were three big ones in July, September, and October (100 dollar first prize). The results to the February 2011 Writing Forum writing contests were finally available a few months ago. Fro supposedly collected the results from the March/April 2011 Writing Contest about 4 weeks ago, but I don't know when the results are coming up. There will probably be a writing contest for Pico Day in April, so mark that on your calender. I think Deathcon is also heading his own Writing contest on the forum. Right now, all we can do is wait and keep writing.

Pardon my ignorance, I didn't know, being new and all. How were these contests structured?

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-28 03:54:35 Reply

To your first point: the writing forum has its own rules which is why it's better than general and also less seizure-inducing.

Your second point: if something is fun, the attention it gets is irrelevant.

Third point: the official NG contests had no structure; your story just needed to be relevant and legible. Same thing with the writing forum contests, except they had more theme and a word limit. I have no idea how deathcon's contest will be structured.

BBS Signature