New Topic Respond to this Topic
StoningWorker
StoningWorker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-12 22:55:22 Reply

At last made an account on Newgrounds and the first thing i come running to is the writting forum.
Hello, Everyone! I just like to read books and write from time to time, sooo... i hope we can get along :D

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-13 10:52:17 Reply

At 1 day ago, Gambit wrote: Soooooooooooooo, anyone agrees it's about time we get a new MWC? :)

If you';ve got ideas and feedback on what should be done, feel free to PM Deathcon7. He's pretty much in control of that at the moment, because my time is taken up with cricket for the foreseeable future.

At 11 hours ago, StoningWorker wrote: At last made an account on Newgrounds and the first thing i come running to is the writting forum.
Hello, Everyone! I just like to read books and write from time to time, sooo... i hope we can get along :D

So, what genres or authors do you favour? Welcome to our world.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
JohnEndel959
JohnEndel959
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-13 16:47:00 Reply

At 7 days ago, John234pwns wrote: I'm John

Oh no! Another John! People will totally get us mixed up all the time and stuff. Whatever, it's like the most common first name in the world anyway, so it's hardly surprising that another one pops up.

Anywho, I'm actually out of the country right now, posting because of my hotel's generous unlimited free wifi. Since this type of vacation is usually when I come up with my greatest ideas (having absolutely nothing else to worry about probably helps), I've started working on laying the groundwork for another story. I'm planning on continuing my trend of writing a bit of a moral tale in a supernatural world. I think I'll go with a super hero this time. We'll see what I can come up with. Maybe I'll think of something that's a bit more interesting somewhere along the way.

I just kind of wanted to pop my head in and update. I'm trying to write more than I've done recently, and I think holding myself accountable through this forum is a pretty good way to go about doing it. Thanks!

Sig by Byteslinger.
Writing by John Endel.
Zombie Story! <= read it! Nuclear Apocalypse Story! <= read this too!

BBS Signature
StoningWorker
StoningWorker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-13 18:43:27 Reply

At 11 hours ago, StoningWorker wrote: At last made an account on Newgrounds and the first thing i come running to is the writting forum.
So, what genres or authors do you favour? Welcome to our world.

Thanks for the welcome!
And about genres and authors, i love horror (Lovecraft, King, etc...), sci-fi (Asimov, Herbert, Bradbury), Mistery, South-American classic authors aaaaand anything that has a good story and that leaves something in you when you finish.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-14 10:08:27 Reply

At 15 hours ago, StoningWorker wrote: Thanks for the welcome!

No problem.

And about genres and authors, i love horror (Lovecraft, King, etc...),

I've never been all that into my horro genres, but I do enjoy playing Werewolf and Vampire games from White Wolf. They bill them as horror, but I don't see it, personally. Maybe I've been desensitised.

sci-fi (Asimov, Herbert, Bradbury),

Have you ever read the Pegasus series by Anne McCaffrey, or Douglas Adams' work?

Mistery,

I'd heartily recommend Agatha Christie - both Poirot and Miss Marple are fantastic from the mystery genre. More modern stuff that first well is John Grisham.

South-American classic authors

I've not tried any myself. Possibly because they are foreign and therefore I'm incapable of reading them.

aaaaand anything that has a good story and that leaves something in you when you finish.

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere :P

Mind you, I do enjoy a good Discworld novel, which leaves me thinking about what the characters will be doing after the book, as well as the historical novels, such as David Gemmell and Conn Iggulden.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
StoningWorker
StoningWorker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-14 18:44:47 Reply

I've never been all that into my horro genres, but I do enjoy playing Werewolf and Vampire games from White Wolf. They bill them as horror, but I don't see it, personally. Maybe I've been desensitised.

I like Vampire games too, i love the way they show a much better image of a vampire than the one a lot of people has

Have you ever read the Pegasus series by Anne McCaffrey, or Douglas Adams' work?

i have been trying to find a book of Adams, but it's nearly impossible to find one, at least in my country. Oh, and never heard of the Pegasus series, what is it about?

I'd heartily recommend Agatha Christie - both Poirot and Miss Marple are fantastic from the mystery genre. More modern stuff that first well is John Grisham.

Agatha Christie is one of my favorite mystery writters, with Capote and Arthur Conan Doyle.

I've not tried any myself. Possibly because they are foreign and therefore I'm incapable of reading them.

I found an used english version of the complete works of Gabriel Garcia Marquez last year and the stories, characters and style of writting is amazing.

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere :P

Noone knows :D

Mind you, I do enjoy a good Discworld novel, which leaves me thinking about what the characters will be doing after the book, as well as the historical novels, such as David Gemmell and Conn Iggulden.

Terry Pratcher and the Discworld books are really good too and it happens to me too, you end up really connected with the characters. And historical novels... i can't say i dislike them, but i haven't been able to read many books of that style in my life.

John234pwns
John234pwns
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-16 02:44:36 Reply

At 2 days ago, JohnEndel959 wrote:
Oh no! Another John! People will totally get us mixed up all the time and stuff. Whatever, it's like the most common first name in the world anyway, so it's hardly surprising that another one pops up.

Anywho, I'm actually out of the country right now, (Snip)

Inspiration is like that. Strikes at odd times. You should get as much stuff on paper as you can. And thanks for the welcome.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Albert Einstein

MattyT
MattyT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-16 08:48:36 Reply

At 1/26/10 04:31 PM, Gagsy wrote: Speaking of reasons for a Writing Forum Lounge, I don't see why this has to be limited to Writing. Seems like a good place to tell people who are intended in writing what good books you've been reading/have read and such. Doesn't have to be a place strict on just writing does it?

No fucking way. We get so little writing on the writing forum and you'd rather start a book club? Thanks for the suggestion Gags, but this is a creative forum. I can't go and talk about Radiohead on the Audio forum, can I? They've got those kind of boards on 4chan ya know.

And yes I realise the irony in a heated response from someone who doesn't post here all that much, but dammit I lurk it nearly every day. I enjoy reading the decent stuff that comes through here. But I'm too put off by all the bad stuff that's badly formatted and lacking any real chance of being turned into something good to actually post advice to people. And isn't that what this board is really about? Being given a chance to improve and showcase our writing through communal evaluation.

So maybe its my fault that we don't get much new quality stuff through here! Maybe I should start a thread where I teach how to write a decent script. Maybe someone else could teach fiction writing or how to compile a novel or something... It's up to the big kids to pick up the little kids.

Ok... so I'll just do that then.

fuck book threads.

I write. I voice act. Drop me a PM. Sig by Ejit

BBS Signature
MattyT
MattyT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-16 08:53:10 Reply

At 1 minute ago, MattyT wrote: A tirade of misguided agression

Holy shit I though that post was from the current page not the fuckin' first one. Oh well. I'd like to think my points are still valid. And i'm still going to make that thread.

Writing for Flash class coming soon.

fuck book threads.

I write. I voice act. Drop me a PM. Sig by Ejit

BBS Signature
RedCoin
RedCoin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-16 14:42:25 Reply

At 5 hours ago, MattyT wrote: No fucking way. We get so little writing on the writing forum and you'd rather start a book club?

Seems like a good idea to me, but there would probably already be a popular thread on the C&C forum if there was enough interest to keep it going.

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-20 09:34:18 Reply

At 4 days ago, MattyT wrote:
At 1 minute ago, MattyT wrote: A tirade of misguided agression
Holy shit I though that post was from the current page not the fuckin' first one. Oh well. I'd like to think my points are still valid. And i'm still going to make that thread.

No, they aren't valid at all.

Writing for Flash class coming soon.

fuck book threads.

Look, you don't have to like book threads and I love your idea for the writing for flash class, but don't try ramming the idea of a book club is shit down everyone's throat. Just don't post there.

There's two ways to look at it:

1) The pre-existing Book Club in C&C is fine and dandy, where people suggest books to read and they discuss them with one another.

2) My book reviews thread is a tool for helping aspiring people who wish to work on journalistic skills, by encouraging people to put a subjective view on a title they have read.

At 3 days ago, RedCoin wrote:
At 5 hours ago, MattyT wrote: No fucking way. We get so little writing on the writing forum and you'd rather start a book club?
Seems like a good idea to me, but there would probably already be a popular thread on the C&C forum if there was enough interest to keep it going.

There is - we just need a little more oompf to keep it in the public eye. Mind you, these sort of threads never seem to get the lion's share of attention, unless you're reviewing something like Harry Potter *spits*

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
warror
warror
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-20 22:19:49 Reply

my pen name is tuni peace and I finished my first chapter of "Chaotic kitten". I like writing and a fan of heros not only x-men. Sometimes i'll even post serious poems but that might be rare. Hope you guys will check out my story.

I also draw but i do not have a scanner, so it willbe rare to see some illustrations but i'll try to get some up at kinkos or stamples or something.

PEACE!

TUNI PEACE
Tapping the fingers for art and laughs.

BBS Signature
yuirick
yuirick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-21 07:53:00 Reply

Ah, it's always saddening to see how little that happens on writing forums. :/

Anyways, whazzup people? :)

TehPoptartKid
TehPoptartKid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-21 14:40:20 Reply

At 6 hours ago, yuirick wrote: Ah, it's always saddening to see how little that happens on writing forums. :/

Anyways, whazzup people? :)

Whasa happening with you, eh?

BBS Signature
X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-22 00:17:31 Reply

Although, I'm looking around online I would like to ask you guys, if any, what are some books that introduce you into writing for comics? This has grown interest in me as of recently. I also think I should take some books on screenwriting seeing as how they look like the same format but of course differ, still doesn't hurt to learn it.

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

yuirick
yuirick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-23 04:13:47 Reply

@Tehpoptart:
I be feelin' cool brah.

At 1 day ago, X1SephX wrote: Although, I'm looking around online I would like to ask you guys, if any, what are some books that introduce you into writing for comics? This has grown interest in me as of recently. I also think I should take some books on screenwriting seeing as how they look like the same format but of course differ, still doesn't hurt to learn it.

I have no idea. You can always find inspiration from other comics?

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-23 10:43:50 Reply

At 2 days ago, yuirick wrote: Ah, it's always saddening to see how little that happens on writing forums. :/

There's always plenty of people seeking reviews! If you can, just scroll down and post into a thread with +0 posts.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-23 16:50:32 Reply

At 1 day ago, X1SephX wrote: Although, I'm looking around online I would like to ask you guys, if any, what are some books that introduce you into writing for comics? This has grown interest in me as of recently. I also think I should take some books on screenwriting seeing as how they look like the same format but of course differ, still doesn't hurt to learn it.

Scott McCloud! He is an excellent introduction to writing for comics. I HIGHLY recommend his books.

Writing Forum Lounge

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~
My super-interesting blog

BBS Signature
yuirick
yuirick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-28 17:30:19 Reply

At 3/23/12 10:43 AM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 2 days ago, yuirick wrote: Ah, it's always saddening to see how little that happens on writing forums. :/
There's always plenty of people seeking reviews! If you can, just scroll down and post into a thread with +0 posts.

A thread with 0 or more posts? That's every thread. Unless you can have minus one post. Could be cool.
I was mostly talking about the activity in a writing forum. In most other gatherings of people, the chat-thread (which this thread is) would be overly active, symbolizing the activity of the members. Writing forums/threads are always borderline-inactive.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-28 19:30:04 Reply

At 3/28/12 05:30 PM, yuirick wrote:
A thread with 0 or more posts?

Well, it's read "plus zero" posts not "zero plus" posts. That is, there are 0 posts added to the OP. The Writing Forum is really as busy as its members. It's not just about writing; it's about about reading also.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-29 14:16:38 Reply

At 3/28/12 05:30 PM, yuirick wrote: A thread with 0 or more posts?

It's the number of replies, not posts - every topic starter is a post, but the replies counter works off that.

At 3/28/12 07:30 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: Well, it's read "plus zero" posts not "zero plus" posts. That is, there are 0 posts added to the OP. The Writing Forum is really as busy as its members. It's not just about writing; it's about about reading also.

Though some members seem to forget the reading part

*is still narked at the "fuck books" comment earlier on*

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
yuirick
yuirick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-30 17:00:07 Reply

At 3/28/12 07:30 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 3/28/12 05:30 PM, yuirick wrote:
A thread with 0 or more posts?
Well, it's read "plus zero" posts not "zero plus" posts. That is, there are 0 posts added to the OP. The Writing Forum is really as busy as its members. It's not just about writing; it's about about reading also.

+0 = 0, speaking as a mathematician.
I did get it the first time, it just made me curious as to why you wrote the + thingy. Is it a literary rule or a Newgrounds custom?

Sharu
Sharu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-30 23:18:34 Reply

As Coop said, the numbers refer to the number of replies; if a thread has just been posted, then there are no replies and it would say zero. I don't know about the pluses, but I can see it being used elsewhere.

Also, who the hell said "fuck books?" On the writing forum? Seriously? WTF? You'd think that, of all the places on Newgrounds, here would be the one place where people wouldn't be bashing books (not specific books like twilight[and there I use the term 'book' in that instance very loosely{and so begins the twihard flame wars...}]).
My point is that if someone is going to bash the very thing that started the topic of a forum, it would probably be a good idea NOT to do so on that very forum. Seriously.............

"there is no true end to any fairy-tale"~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-01 11:06:37 Reply

Hey guys, I've got a bit of a problem. My Dutch friend has an English teacher (who is also Dutch) and occasionally my friend shows me some of his assignments with the corrections of his teacher. Now, a lot of these corrections feel unnecessary to me and others just sound all-out wrong, making me doubt the legitimacy of his teacher. Mind checking to see which of these corrections don't make any sense or are unnecessary?

1.)
Original: "Do you mind filling me in on when you'll be attending the summer camp?"
Correction: "Do you mind filling me in on when you'll be attending summer camp?"

2.)
Original: "According to the photos I've seen, reefs are full of vibrant colours, although I've always wanted to see one up close."
Correction: "According to the photos I've seen, reefs have vibrant colours, and I've always wanted to see one up close."

3.)
Original: "I am writing to you on account of an advertisement in The Sunday Times."
Correction: "I am writing to you with reference to your advertisement in The Sunday Times."

4.)
Original: "Learning the language in England seems marvellous to me and my parents are very impressed with the offers your school made in the advertisement."
Correction: "Learning the language in England seems marvellous to me and my parents are very impressed with what your school has offered in the advertisement."

5.)
Original: "I prefer to work in small groups."
Correction: "I prefer working in small groups."

6.)
Original: "The restaurant specialises in pizza and pasta."
Correction: "The restaurant specialises in pizzas and pastas."

7.)
Original: "The food is of great quality."
Correction: "The food is of a great quality."

8.)
Original: "Bullying is common in schools."
Correction: "Bullying is common at schools."

9.)
Original: "If the bullying really gets out of hand you should warn an adult who should put an end to it immediately."
Correction: "If the bullying really gets out of hand you should warn an adult who should put an end to it, immediately."

10.)
Original: "I would like to know whether or not there are any differences in price between August and July."
Correction: "I would like to know whether or not there are any differences in the price between August and July."

---

Thanks a lot.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-01 14:54:04 Reply

At 4/1/12 11:06 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: Hey guys, I've got a bit of a problem. My Dutch friend has an English teacher (who is also Dutch) and occasionally my friend shows me some of his assignments with the corrections of his teacher. Now, a lot of these corrections feel unnecessary to me and others just sound all-out wrong, making me doubt the legitimacy of his teacher. Mind checking to see which of these corrections don't make any sense or are unnecessary?

These corrections seem way too pedantic, but they are all pretty much "right." The teacher seems to refining your friends word choice, that is, reducing the amount of words. Each sentence has one or two less words, words that are really quite unnecessary (like "really" and "quite" :D). Also, the corrections just emend each sentences into proper English. However, some, like number nine, are technically correct, but unclear (#9 has a dangling modifier). Some, like #3, are too correct (I doubt a character would talk like that).

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-01 19:29:28 Reply

At 4/1/12 02:54 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: Some, like #3, are too correct (I doubt a character would talk like that).

Ina formal letter, they should, but you can never guarantee it.

Personally, if someone tried using corrections 7 and 8, I think I would correct them back to the original, that your friend wrote. If your friend's teacher wishes to contact me, they can feel free to. I feel that I speak better English than a majority of the people in my country, so I would be happy to discuss it.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-02 04:10:51 Reply

Well, my friend told me that he gets graded down for these corrections, and to me they look more like what rolls off more nicely in the teacher's tongue, not actual corrections of mistakes.

In the first, for example, I didn't see why he took away the definite article since the summer camp in question was mentioned before in the essay. In the fifth I didn't see why he changed it from the infinitive to the gerund when the verb "prefer" takes both. The eighth feels entirely wrong as well (I always thought you say in schools but at school, not at schools). And so on...

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-02 05:46:09 Reply

At 4/2/12 04:10 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: Well, my friend told me that he gets graded down for these corrections, and to me they look more like what rolls off more nicely in the teacher's tongue, not actual corrections of mistakes.

Ah, but the main problem here seems to be that the teacher takes the view that they are right, to the exclusion of everything and everyone else. Sadly, this is a common delusion, shared by many teachers.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
yuirick
yuirick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-02 07:00:45 Reply

At 3/30/12 11:18 PM, Sharu wrote: As Coop said, the numbers refer to the number of replies; if a thread has just been posted, then there are no replies and it would say zero. I don't know about the pluses, but I can see it being used elsewhere.

Captain obvious strikes again!
I've never seen the +0 been used on any other forum than Newgrounds, and I've visited a few. It simply doesn't make any rational or logical sense, since you could just as well say 0.

Sharu
Sharu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-02 08:25:29 Reply

At 4/2/12 07:00 AM, yuirick wrote:
Captain obvious strikes again!
I've never seen the +0 been used on any other forum than Newgrounds, and I've visited a few. It simply doesn't make any rational or logical sense, since you could just as well say 0.

Excuse me, but do I know you? No? Didn't think so.
In case you didn't actually finish reading my post, I never said it made any sense. I would say, however, that's its in no way as odd as you're making it out to me.

Psh, haters gonna hate.

At 4/2/12 04:10 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: Well, my friend told me that he gets graded down for these corrections, and to me they look more like what rolls off more nicely in the teacher's tongue, not actual corrections of mistakes.

Anyway, to be constructive, I'd say that even though the teacher is right (I think he/she is wrong about #6, but that's another matter), he/she shouldn't take points off because your friend is also right. Since that teacher thinks your friend is wrong, the discrepancies are so small that any points that the teacher takes off shouldn't really amount to much. If friend is getting severely graded down because of these corrections, then I'd suggest he/she talk with his/her teacher about that.

"there is no true end to any fairy-tale"~ J.R.R. Tolkien