New Topic Respond to this Topic
TastySteaks
TastySteaks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-04 22:28:31 Reply

I suppose I'll introduce myself since I'll be posting a bit in the writing forum. I write for a living however not exactly the way I originally intended. Since I'm going to a university in a foreign country I can't legally work due to restrictions on my visa so I write articles online for some $$. Also I plan on publishing a few novels sometime in the future but am too much of a perfectionist to call any piece done.

When I first came to NG I used to just listen to looped techno songs to help me write however I'm happy I ventured from the audio portal and stumbled here. Seems like there are quite a few talented and dedicated individuals on this forum so it will be nice to finally get some educated criticism and read what others post up as well.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-05 11:44:02 Reply

There has been so much activity on the Writing Forum lately; makes me think about what it will be like in the future. There has been more activity these last 3 days than there was for all of January.

I like it.

(Although, we need more reviewers with deeper criticisms.)

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-05 23:40:33 Reply

The last story for the Anthology is in and now we're onto the cover art. Then the kickstarter campaign. April publishing date is still the plan

BBS Signature
JohnEndel959
JohnEndel959
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-06 04:34:12 Reply

Hello again. I've just completed the short story I'm submitting to my school's literary magazine! I kind of want to post it here, but I was wondering if I should make it into a google document and then provide a link or something, since it's over 5,000 words.

The story's called The Mask, and it's my first real attempt at a horror story. I guess it's a bit similar to all the creepypasta that goes around. I've used it to experiment a bit with ways of telling a story and symbolism. I've found it very interesting to write, and I hope it's interesting to read!

Sig by Byteslinger.
Writing by John Endel.
Zombie Story! <= read it! Nuclear Apocalypse Story! <= read this too!

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-06 09:04:22 Reply

At 2/6/12 04:34 AM, JohnEndel959 wrote: Hello again. I've just completed the short story I'm submitting to my school's literary magazine! I kind of want to post it here, but I was wondering if I should make it into a google document and then provide a link or something, since it's over 5,000 words.

Make a thread and post it - if it's too long for one post, simply cut at a convenient spot and make another post straight after. So long as you don't go over the 4 replies in 1 hour limit, you're alright.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-07 22:03:01 Reply

First post in the Writing forums post-redesign...

I wonder when the fabled lit portal will come out.

ZeeAk
ZeeAk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-07 22:22:37 Reply

At 15 minutes ago, FBIpolux wrote: First post in the Writing forums post-redesign...

I'm not gonna lie; I'm a huge fan of the redesign. Though I did see your post in one of the General forums, and a Writer aurea would be awesome, even though demand is probably very, very limited.

I'm still on the fence about the Lit Portal idea. At this stage, I think the Forum is a perfect fit, because it'd be the slowest of the Portals, and it would become inundated with writing that's sub-par, as well as being far more difficult, and more time-consuming, to discover the better pieces.

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-07 23:24:39 Reply

At 58 minutes ago, ZeeAk wrote: I'm still on the fence about the Lit Portal idea. At this stage, I think the Forum is a perfect fit, because it'd be the slowest of the Portals, and it would become inundated with writing that's sub-par, as well as being far more difficult, and more time-consuming, to discover the better pieces.

Yeah, I've always been against the idea, but I have a strong feeling it MIGHT happen one day.

I can easily picture it being ignored by most of the NG population... people don't have the attention span to sit in their browser and read random ramblings, gay fan fictions and TL;DR spam.

Oh well. We shall see.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-07 23:37:33 Reply

At 1 hour ago, ZeeAk wrote:
At 15 minutes ago, FBIpolux wrote: First post in the Writing forums post-redesign...
I'm not gonna lie; I'm a huge fan of the redesign. Though I did see your post in one of the General forums, and a Writer aurea would be awesome, even though demand is probably very, very limited.

Eh, the scheme is too brown and yellow. I prefer black and yellow trim.

I'm still on the fence about the Lit Portal idea. At this stage, I think the Forum is a perfect fit, because it'd be the slowest of the Portals, and it would become inundated with writing that's sub-par, as well as being far more difficult, and more time-consuming, to discover the better pieces

I think the current standing Writing Forum army is enough to stave off such a flood of poor and tasteless entries long enough for newbies to become acquainted with what we do and get them into the sensibility that the Writing section has way different (and way better) standards than the rest of NG.

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-07 23:43:02 Reply

At A few seconds ago, DeftAndEvil wrote:

Also, the icon and rank, instead of just rank, is cool, although I miss having the straight razor, as I thought that was the coolest icon. I guess I'll have to go back to actually using NG so I don't have a weird barbed boxing glove.

BBS Signature
ZeeAk
ZeeAk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 01:04:43 Reply

At 1 hour ago, DeftAndEvil wrote: Eh, the scheme is too brown and yellow. I prefer black and yellow trim.

Yea, I know what you mean, but I still quite like it.

I think the current standing Writing Forum army is enough to stave off such a flood of poor and tasteless entries long enough for newbies to become acquainted with what we do and get them into the sensibility that the Writing section has way different (and way better) standards than the rest of NG.

I think there'd have to be a very, very specific rating system that took into account all the different aspects of story-telling, and it'd have to rely on a very discrete system of measurement - like with the current Portals. There wouldn't really be all that much space for reviews, as far as I can fathom, because of the influx of material, and because a lot of the critiques I see around this forum rival the actual story for length.

Vukcic
Vukcic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 02:13:28 Reply

So someone mention writing contests and judging. I went back to quote it but I couldn't find it, so I'm just gonna post here about it.

I'm for it. I was editor of a literary magazine for a few years and I really enjoyed reading others' works and passing my arbitrary judgment on them haha. But seriously, if at any point you all need someone with experience to judge contests or whatever, talk to me.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 04:15:20 Reply

At 5 hours ago, ZeeAk wrote:

I've asked Tom for it personally. Haranguing him on AIM while he's doing the redesign has its benefits :P

I'm still on the fence about the Lit Portal idea. At this stage, I think the Forum is a perfect fit, because it'd be the slowest of the Portals, and it would become inundated with writing that's sub-par, as well as being far more difficult, and more time-consuming, to discover the better pieces.

Giving people a Writer Aura could be the start - if you're a writer, getting the word about that it's what you do is a great way forward. As this part of the community grows, we will see better writing and perhaps increased demand for such a portal would become reality.

At 1 hour ago, Vukcic wrote: So someone mention writing contests and judging. I went back to quote it but I couldn't find it, so I'm just gonna post here about it.

It's above somewhere...

I'm for it. I was editor of a literary magazine for a few years and I really enjoyed reading others' works and passing my arbitrary judgment on them haha. But seriously, if at any point you all need someone with experience to judge contests or whatever, talk to me.

I think that the best way to prove oneself is to become immersed in Writing Forum activity - submitting your own work, or just reading others' and passing critique over them. If you can come up with ideas for Contests, try the MWC Headquaters and get that old topic revived. I don't have the time I once had, sadly, but can be called upon for launching, locking and perhaps even a bit of occasional judging.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 11:51:31 Reply

Upon further thought, I've come to the concession that maybe NG isn't ready for a writing portal. The foundation just isn't there, as shown by the dearth of activity in this forum. I think as a community we need to do more to sell ourselves. While written word isn't as engaging as movies and video games, it is the foundation of such media and wholly necessary.

The issue at hand is that the large majority of successful franchises on this site are passion projects. The producers love what they do and underestimate the importance of storytelling, focusing almost entirely on the glamour (be it gameplay or visual effects). One example that comes immediately to mind is Fallen Angel. Visually it's stunning, but the storytelling is lack-luster, and blends in with the background noise of world war III/post-apocolyptic multimedia.

The issue with passion projects is that of too much passion and not enough talent. I'd like to get these producers to take a moment to consider the harm they're doing to their vision by not acquiring a competent yarn-spinner. How many great franchises on NG could have been better were it not for this shortcoming: Xombie, Fallen Angel, Paladin; just to name a few. There have been great ones out there (notably, Broken Saints), but on the whole the lack is noticable to anyone who knows what they're looking for. Tropes, deus ex machina, cliches, weak characterization; I mean, this is a real issue.

But, again, it's a passion project, and love is blind, and artists tend to be independent and distrustful with their vision.

What we need to do is to produce a prototype example of what this community can produce. We need to start a passion project of our own and show that, when the right person is put in charge of what they're good at, only good can come of it. We need to make a monster project; audio, visual, interactive, literary; smash it all together and show the world that Newgrounds is teeming with talented, dedicated individuals. I know we can do it. And I know if we pull off something like this, a Literary Portal will be a foregone conclusion.

Let's show Newgrounds that storytelling is a gift, not a given.

TL;DR: Upon further thought, we need to be more awesome.
Vukcic
Vukcic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 13:46:47 Reply

There certainly is a dearth. I'm new to the boards, and have been posting writing and trying to read others', but without that give and take, it's hard to maintain interest. But I'm the kind of person that will stick with something, so if there's a movement to try to awesome-ize, count me in. I'll be here.

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 13:58:49 Reply

At 5 minutes ago, Vukcic wrote: There certainly is a dearth. I'm new to the boards, and have been posting writing and trying to read others', but without that give and take, it's hard to maintain interest. But I'm the kind of person that will stick with something, so if there's a movement to try to awesome-ize, count me in. I'll be here.

You got a great eye for scriptwriting. I've seen a few of your threads. Structure/format aside, you could provide a lot of great insight when translating into a screenplay. When we get this going, be sure you're involved in that.

And I agree, it is hard to critique when your work goes ignored. It's happened to everyone. It's a result of over-saturation of content, and so few competent critics. My advice to you is to preface everything you post with what you're looking for. Make critiquing your work as easy as possible and I for one will be in there with ready advice.

I'm also going to start a new Review Request thread with some better rules for facilitating receiving reviews. Too many people are simply posting what they've written, myself included, and aren't specifying what they're looking for. This makes getting to every work looking for critique almost impossible. Ultimately I'd like to start up the Review Request thread with 3 or 4 other critics so we can hit all types of writing, poetry included, and articulate helpful and concise advice the writer can readily use to improve.

Vukcic, as I approach this point, I'll PM you and get you on board for script critiquing. I'll provide more details then.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 14:19:41 Reply

I am still rooting for a Lit Portal, but I think we wouldn't know what to do with it. I assume our biggest concern is too much crap, not enough refined, well-thought-out literature; in addition, the influx of crap will become so great that the Lit Portal will implode and no one will take it seriously.

And it does worry me. However, I don't think NG has anything in development, which worries me more. I agree with Deathcon that we have to earn it, but I don't think NG even takes the Writing Forum seriously, as many of the "best" animators simply write their own script; this has always bothered me: NG simply relies too much on asinine bullshit and will never be ready for serious work (not as in solemn; as in thought-out and open to constructive criticism).

If there is a sort of "scouting" method, as with the Art Portal, I think that writers who come in, looking to post crap, would be weeded out. Which brings me to the delicate conundrum:

NG needs more writers to produce a bigger body of marketable work. However, most of the writers coming in are too inexperienced and (here's the kicker) unwilling to stay to improve or unwilling to concede to criticism. So, they all leave, and the Writing Forum is just one vicious circle of writers trying to stay together but never unifying.

Also, if the Lit Portal succumbs to the same attitude that plagues NG, I am out. If the Lit Portal entails that, I am more than satisfied with the Writing Forum.

IN A LESS SOMBER AND WHINY NOTE:
here'sthe link to the MWC HQ.

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 14:27:11 Reply

Also: either I am becoming dyslexic, or the writing is becoming really hard to read. I can't stay with it. I've never blamed distractions or wall-of-texts for making a piece unreadable, but goddamn! Btw, I hate the aesthetic of the redesign; maybe I'll get used to it. Better start reading some stories.

BBS Signature
Re2deemer
Re2deemer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 15:06:07 Reply

Oh hello there writers. Don't mind me, just your neighbourhood artists that poked around the site and found something that might be of interest to you and that I haven't seen discussed anywhere.

This is the NG Style sheet found under Community->Downloads->NG Design assets.
Hello, who is this between Art and Channels?

And for those curious, the file was updated as of 18.01.12, so recent enough

Writing Forum Lounge

BBS Signature
JohnEndel959
JohnEndel959
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 22:00:10 Reply

Speaking of the redesign, are they going to add more auras? I didn't see one I really like...

Sig by Byteslinger.
Writing by John Endel.

BBS Signature
JohnEndel959
JohnEndel959
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 22:07:14 Reply

At 2 days ago, Coop wrote:
Make a thread and post it - if it's too long for one post, simply cut at a convenient spot and make another post straight after. So long as you don't go over the 4 replies in 1 hour limit, you're alright.

Thanks! Putting it up now! First story of the redesign? No? Second?

Sig by Byteslinger.
Writing by John Endel.

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-09 00:20:58 Reply

At 2 hours ago, JohnEndel959 wrote: Speaking of the redesign, are they going to add more auras? I didn't see one I really like...

We are all melancholy that there are no auras for writers.

BBS Signature
OptimisticOctopus
OptimisticOctopus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-09 17:24:30 Reply

I want to be able to actually post content to Newgrounds, and have a reason for dressing up my profile page (because as anyone who isn't a contributor knows you get practically NO traffic). I also want to be able to have a copyright on the stuff I make, rather than just throwing it to the wind on a forum where it'll disappear after a few days of no posting. You know, having a secure place on the website where you KNOW your work is, and where people can look at it...

...And I agree with the disdain at the lack of a writer aura. I do rap, so I figured "musician" was close enough, but it just feels wrong because I write a lot of things. I'm a writer.

Myeeehhhh

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 06:04:48 Reply

At 1 day ago, DeftAndEvil wrote: IN A LESS SOMBER AND WHINY NOTE:
here'sthe link to the MWC HQ.

Wow, talk about a thread that I've posted too much in...

At 1 day ago, Re2deemer wrote: Oh hello there writers. Don't mind me, just your neighbourhood artists that poked around the site and found something that might be of interest to you and that I haven't seen discussed anywhere.

Yes, that's a nice tool - did you also notice that now the Dumping Grounds accepts .doc and .txt files?

At 1 day ago, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 2 hours ago, JohnEndel959 wrote: Speaking of the redesign, are they going to add more auras? I didn't see one I really like...
We are all melancholy that there are no auras for writers.

It'll come. We're in the ascendancy under this version of Newgrounds, I feel.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 11:46:06 Reply

At 5 hours ago, Coop wrote: It'll come. We're in the ascendancy under this version of Newgrounds, I feel.

Do you really think so? I think video games and movies will remain the mainstay of NG. Nevertheless, I will hold out hope for this. Perhaps there will be more focus on pushing the literary aspect of multimedia. It would be nice, especially if NG wants to legitimize and take part in serious artistic endeavors. Advent Rising should have been the proof in the pudding, but I think the console market wanted mindless FPS. I'm hoping Kingdoms of Amalur and SW:tOR will serve as the motivating factors in revitalizing the importance of storytelling in interactive multimedia. As far as passive multimedia... well, there have been some well-written stories, but if comedy is the central staple, I don't know. WAFO, I guess. As writers we need to start pushing out ideas and acquiring artists that are willing to commit to making things happen. The result should be a marked improvement in quality. I'm sure this'll push producers to seek our services, so to speak, when polishing a project.

As an aside, I'm going to be working on revamping the MWC this weekend, as well as the Review Request process. Given that these will be reboots, I'm looking to create completely new threads. If you don't mind, Coop, please sign off on this. Everyone else, please PM me any ideas you have for either of these. Maybe organization won't bring the results we want, but we should try. Having a traffic driving activity, and a pseudo lit portal, should help us to inject some more life into this place.

Anyone looking to judge the new MWCs, please PM me. I'm looking for the full range of experience, and a variety in writing styles. So don't be shy. I will, however, rely on those proven a part of this community, and are invested in its growth. Again, and I know your time is limited so I'll take it easy on you, I'll pass my final ideas by you, Coop, just to ensure things are copacetic. Over the weekend I'll try to be on Facebook, AIM/MSN, and Skype/Oovoo as much as possible. I want this to be a community effort, so please do not hesitate to contact me. I'll be posting up my plans later tonight. Maybe we can get a counsel going. I know if I do this alone I'll end up overlooking something(s).

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 12:26:27 Reply

I would give my help as a judge, but seeing my English isn't as good as most of you guys, I'll pass.

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 13:12:10 Reply

At 42 minutes ago, FBIpolux wrote: I would give my help as a judge, but seeing my English isn't as good as most of you guys, I'll pass.

Just to be clear, you wouldn't be judging based on proper use of English. I'm looking to get in at least 1 or 2 judges that are respected, and instead of providing literary critique, provide pure opinion as as enthusiast and reader. But if you do like to write, and you can also provide technical analysis, that'll be a definite plus!

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 19:08:01 Reply

At 7 hours ago, Deathcon7 wrote:
At 5 hours ago, Coop wrote: It'll come. We're in the ascendancy under this version of Newgrounds, I feel.
Do you really think so? I think video games and movies will remain the mainstay of NG.

Without good writing, neither video games, nor movies can make it to the forefront. I think that nowadays, people are less likely to be able to "do it all", like Adam Phillips, Krinkels and people like them did in the past. More often than not, people are helping one another in developing games and movies alike. Tom has already stated that the idea of a power of three including a writer at some stage is a good idea.

As an aside, I'm going to be working on revamping the MWC this weekend, as well as the Review Request process. Given that these will be reboots, I'm looking to create completely new threads. If you don't mind, Coop, please sign off on this.

Gladly - what resources do you require?

Everyone else, please PM me any ideas you have for either of these. Maybe organization won't bring the results we want, but we should try. Having a traffic driving activity, and a pseudo lit portal, should help us to inject some more life into this place.

I was thinking something to do with an observational monologue. A guy stuck in traffic, waiting for the cars in front of him to move stops to consider the world, for example. Just a quick one thrown out there, but it also focuses the minds of the writers here on developing descriptive terminology - something which I feel that some of our writers have lacked in other MWCs.

Anyone looking to judge the new MWCs, please PM me. I'm looking for the full range of experience, and a variety in writing styles. So don't be shy. I will, however, rely on those proven a part of this community, and are invested in its growth.

Thanks for this and anyone willing to help, please invest time and effort into the community, to get something back. It's a very rewarding thing to do.

Again, and I know your time is limited so I'll take it easy on you, I'll pass my final ideas by you, Coop, just to ensure things are copacetic.

I was going to say how glad I am to have an Oxford English Dictionary at my desk, but the whole effect was rather ruined by the fact that copacetic (adj; slang - satisfactory) was not in there.

Over the weekend I'll try to be on Facebook, AIM/MSN, and Skype/Oovoo as much as possible. I want this to be a community effort, so please do not hesitate to contact me.

I'm trying to be on AIM more these days, particularly with other goings on, regarding NG.

I'll be posting up my plans later tonight. Maybe we can get a counsel going. I know if I do this alone I'll end up overlooking something(s).

That's the sort of organisation I was after - now we need to build on this.

At 6 hours ago, FBIpolux wrote: I would give my help as a judge, but seeing my English isn't as good as most of you guys, I'll pass.

Why would that matter? You can still read and while English is not your first language, you probably speak it better than 10% of the UK populous, at least.

Read some of the other submissions and see if you can critique them. We're not starting straight away, so see if you feel comfortable with it. I'm hardly a master of grammar, but I just look more like one, because i pick holes in everyone else's :P

Seriously though, I feel that your contributions would be welcome here.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-11 00:20:46 Reply

All right Coop, you convinced me. (Yes it was quite easy) I'll give it a think and I'll see if I'm up to the task.

My other main problem is that I don't have THAT much free time. But I can always copy all the submission in my iPod and read them during my Subway travels :P

All right. I'll give it a try. Just send me heads up for the next Contest.

My biggest joy would be for the Writing Forums to... you know... succeed. I haven't really contributed a quarter as much as I could have since it came out. Part of this is because I'm so busy with my own novel.

Excuses excuses.

DarkAlmighty
DarkAlmighty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-11 19:26:00 Reply

Wow, finally glad I found somewhere to post my literary works. I don't write much, it's more of a hobby, but I'm currently working on something huge at the moment.

I don't need a life. I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives.