New Topic Respond to this Topic
Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-27 23:44:10 Reply

I see what you are saying, Deathcon. Sometimes it is annoying when something is posted without any context. That is not what the forums are for. Then again, I am not really sure the forums are really for finished work either (I would put finished work somewhere else, like my blog or in published (print) medium). The NG writing forums are good for what is so characteristic of NG: collaboration. A prime example would be writing of collaborative poetry such as renga. I just started a thread for that specifically. I think forums are good for sport writing -- writing for fun. That, of course, does not mean anything goes; it does not mean anyone can just slap down a few words "for fun" up here. This place isn't just for writing, but for reading as well, and no one wants to read something that looks like a pile of dung.

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~
My super-interesting blog

BBS Signature
BubblyMac
BubblyMac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-27 23:55:47 Reply

Anyone think we should have some kind of Writing Forum contest? Just to spark interest and maybe bring in some people who don't usually visit.

"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed." - Charlie Chaplin
"The Broken Window"

BBS Signature
Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-28 00:10:43 Reply

At 7 minutes ago, BubblyMac wrote: Anyone think we should have some kind of Writing Forum contest? Just to spark interest and maybe bring in some people who don't usually visit.

Ho boy. Here we go. I hate brainstorming, but it's all for the best.
First off, we will need Coop or someone in on this to get it big enough for people who don't usually visit the Writing Forums. At the very least it needs to be put on the official NG calender.
As for the nature of the contest, what'll it be? Like a collaborative effort to complete one story? Or a battle of short stories? Exempli gratia, Entry one: [story about Bob vs Steve, Bob, the hero, wins] Entry Two: [Bob stumbles into the world of Henry, the second competitor's hero, and the two duke it out] etc. Or will it be a simple "500 words min, 1,000 max, theme=whatever, have at it, yadda yadda yadda" sort of competition? As a response to your first question, BubblyMac: Yes.

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~

BBS Signature
JohnEndel959
JohnEndel959
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-28 00:35:45 Reply

At 35 minutes ago, BubblyMac wrote: Anyone think we should have some kind of Writing Forum contest? Just to spark interest and maybe bring in some people who don't usually visit.

I don't know. Since we're trying to improve the quality of works posted here, this may not be a good idea. As I remember, the contests drew in writers, but most submissions were highly unpolished and quite raw.

Maybe to discourage last minute writing we could make it a sort of apply to participate thing? You wouldn't need to have any qualifications, but having a separate deadline for applying would make sure that those who submit have taken some time to think about what they're doing. It may be worth revisiting.

Also, Tom mentioned some sort of surprise. Do we think it could be the Lit Portal, or just some random game or movie they've been working on?

Sig by Byteslinger.
Writing by John Endel.
Zombie Story! <= read it! Nuclear Apocalypse Story! <= read this too!

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-28 01:04:41 Reply

At 32 minutes ago, Anabioo wrote: Then again, I am not really sure the forums are really for finished work either (I would put finished work somewhere else, like my blog or in published (print) medium).

Is work ever finished? Even if you think it is, it can still be reviewed and critiqued and even validated.

The NG writing forums are good for what is so characteristic of NG: collaboration. A prime example would be writing of collaborative poetry such as renga. I just started a thread for that specifically. I think forums are good for sport writing -- writing for fun.

Forum games aren't allowed on NG (or so I've heard), especially something like this. The 2-word story, the limericks, and also especially the RPs (role-playing fiction) are heavily discouraged and I think they are also banned. They aren't allowed because they don't stimulate writing talent. If you want to write for fun, then I think posting on your page is where it should go, not on the Writing Forum where attention would be diverted from writers who seek help.

As for writing contests, there were three big ones in July, September, and October (100 dollar first prize). The results to the February 2011 Writing Forum writing contests were finally available a few months ago. Fro supposedly collected the results from the March/April 2011 Writing Contest about 4 weeks ago, but I don't know when the results are coming up. There will probably be a writing contest for Pico Day in April, so mark that on your calender. I think Deathcon is also heading his own Writing contest on the forum. Right now, all we can do is wait and keep writing.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-28 03:07:59 Reply

At 1 hour ago, DeftAndEvil wrote: Forum games aren't allowed on NG (or so I've heard), especially something like this.

Renga writing isn't a forum game, is it? I could be wrong. Plus, I re-read all the forum rules in the NG wiki and found nothing against forum games or lighthearted threads.
:If you want to write for fun, then I think posting on your page is where it should go, not on the Writing Forum where attention would be diverted from writers who seek help.
OK, point valid. But that is a lot harder: gets hardly any attention.

As for writing contests, there were three big ones in July, September, and October (100 dollar first prize). The results to the February 2011 Writing Forum writing contests were finally available a few months ago. Fro supposedly collected the results from the March/April 2011 Writing Contest about 4 weeks ago, but I don't know when the results are coming up. There will probably be a writing contest for Pico Day in April, so mark that on your calender. I think Deathcon is also heading his own Writing contest on the forum. Right now, all we can do is wait and keep writing.

Pardon my ignorance, I didn't know, being new and all. How were these contests structured?

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-28 03:54:35 Reply

To your first point: the writing forum has its own rules which is why it's better than general and also less seizure-inducing.

Your second point: if something is fun, the attention it gets is irrelevant.

Third point: the official NG contests had no structure; your story just needed to be relevant and legible. Same thing with the writing forum contests, except they had more theme and a word limit. I have no idea how deathcon's contest will be structured.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-28 08:23:53 Reply

At 8 hours ago, Anabioo wrote:
At 7 minutes ago, BubblyMac wrote: Anyone think we should have some kind of Writing Forum contest? Just to spark interest and maybe bring in some people who don't usually visit.
First off, we will need Coop or someone in on this to get it big enough for people who don't usually visit the Writing Forums. At the very least it needs to be put on the official NG calender.

Well, as soon as one comes up, I'll be in contact with Tom to get it put on the calendar. I think that the main issue is getting some sort of structure determined - Deathcon is working one a project there, so if you want to bounce some ideas off him, feel free to do so via PM. Sadly, my time is mostly taken up by cricket and social stuff at the moment, so while I'll be adding to the contests in a minor capacity and (hopefully) taking part or judging, I can't commit either way at present.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-28 15:46:07 Reply

At 6 hours ago, Coop wrote: Well, as soon as one comes up, I'll be in contact with Tom to get it put on the calendar. I think that the main issue is getting some sort of structure determined - Deathcon is working one a project there, so if you want to bounce some ideas off him, feel free to do so via PM...

I'm working on a monthly workshop/competition program at the moment. Any input can be PM'd to me, or you can reach me through Oovoo/Skype using username geovanie.ruiz or e-mail me.

pvt-blasto
pvt-blasto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-02 14:31:37 Reply

hey everyone! I have never posted on the writing forum and thought this would be a good place to go.

first let me introduce myself, I'm obviously pvt-blasto, and have been on newgrounds for quite a while now. I did some animation hobby projects a while ago and lately i've been working on my graphic novel. I wanted to share with you the graphic novel i've been working on and maybe talk about writing related stuff!

just to clear the air a bit, yes this is a bit of a shameless plug... but don't hate me yet...

my comic:
http://www.daveswurld.com/

the reason i'm posting this here, is because i consider myself more of a writer then i do an artist (as you can plainly see) and i honestly care a lot about my writing and writing in general when it comes to comics, cartoons, movies, and the like.

the comic itself is about a child-like being named Dave who lives in an empty universe. it is about his personal growth as he learns the cruel facts of life and death. Those are the general heavy points, but it is generally a positive story about taking things in stride and growing up.

let me know what you think! and if you feel this is the wrong place to put this, by all means flame me, i do not want to give anyone bad impressions.

thanks!

BBS Signature
BubblyMac
BubblyMac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-02 16:58:51 Reply

Welcome aboard.

"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed." - Charlie Chaplin
"The Broken Window"

BBS Signature
EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-03 16:52:31 Reply

At 1 day ago, pvt-blasto wrote: hey everyone! I have never posted on the writing forum and thought this would be a good place to go.

first let me introduce myself, I'm obviously pvt-blasto, and have been on newgrounds for quite a while now. I did some animation hobby projects a while ago and lately i've been working on my graphic novel. I wanted to share with you the graphic novel i've been working on and maybe talk about writing related stuff!

just to clear the air a bit, yes this is a bit of a shameless plug... but don't hate me yet...

my comic:

the reason i'm posting this here, is because i consider myself more of a writer then i do an artist (as you can plainly see) and i honestly care a lot about my writing and writing in general when it comes to comics, cartoons, movies, and the like.

the comic itself is about a child-like being named Dave who lives in an empty universe. it is about his personal growth as he learns the cruel facts of life and death. Those are the general heavy points, but it is generally a positive story about taking things in stride and growing up.

let me know what you think! and if you feel this is the wrong place to put this, by all means flame me, i do not want to give anyone bad impressions.

thanks!

Welcome to the writing forum.

In my opinion, I think the writers who get the most out of this forum are those that return and participate again and again. You get double respect for helping other authors with their writing questions as opposed to just getting advice from writers. Basically, the more you participate the better we learn what kind of writer you are and can provide better feedback.

We generally like to see people refer to their work as posted on Newgrounds through posts or through their personal pages. With a graphic novel, I understand there may be limitations to consider (although even then, I myself used the flash portal to upload my graphic novel series "Wishbone"). But I really like seeing stuff written, I guess, in the context of what Newgrounds provides.

Anyway, I hope you find this place useful. Remember when asking for help, just be specific, be open-minded, and respectful of everyone.

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-03 18:10:37 Reply

I just wanted to do a small update on the Anthology.

All's well. Everything's been edited and compiled and formatted. all we need is cover art and we're done.

Yayz!

MrDark01234
MrDark01234
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-03 20:36:55 Reply

Good time of day to you, good people.

My handle here on Newgrounds has been MrDark01234 since I cared enough to create one, though my name to be found elsewhere is Iker Rivercast (another username I use a lot is SpotXSpot).

Right now I think of writing as a hobby, though I do eventually want to pursue it in a more serious fashion-- the key 'breakout' writing event for me personally was last year's NaNoWriMo, in which I managed to score over 100k words (though, to be fair, it wasn't strictly my first time, as I had also done that year's August Camp NaNo). Through this, I managed to meet a bunch of wonderful people who share a passion in writing, so I hope I will find people of a similar mindset here.

Right now, I don't really have any projects I'm overly excited about, though I am running a vaguely-weekly couple of serials over at my blog (the most recent chapters of which, incidentally, are set to be completed somewhere over the next day or two). However, I do have an extensive backlog of ideas, a few of which I've experimented around with but never really gotten anything too concrete out of. Occasionally, though, I do gradually try to work and get more out of those.

As for this community, I must confess I've not seen too much of it before, but I will try and make whatever effort I can to contribute to it. For the moment, I'm going to try and leaf (is that term even vaguely appropriate?) through some of these posts to see if I can get a better idea of what goes on around here. So, I suppose I'll be seeing you around!

I'm afraid you'll have to speak up.

BBS Signature
Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-03 23:37:41 Reply

I want to ask a few questions:
If someone is thinking about writing a book, what is the first thing they should do?
How should they go about getting their book distributed?
If they are readying the book for print by their self, what applications are recommended?

If you guessed that the "someone" was me, you guessed right. I was thinking about using MS Office Publisher, but I do not own it, and Word can't figure out "Oh, he wants to fold the page in half, so I should put page one here, page two on this other sheet...." Of course, if I simply let someone else (i.e. a publisher) do final designs for me, I'd not have to worry about it, but I do not want to do that. I was thinking about distributing it myself, mostly online on places like Amazon and physically to people I know, but I don't know how to copyright protect my work.
Thanks!

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~

BBS Signature
MattyT
MattyT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-04 03:14:12 Reply

At 1 day ago, pvt-blasto wrote:
my comic:

Out of curiosity, Who made that website?

At 3 hours ago, Anabioo wrote: I want to ask a few questions:
If someone is thinking about writing a book, what is the first thing they should do?

Perhaps a whole book is jumping the gun a little. Have you written any short stories? These are a good place to start.

If you want to try for a book straight up, I guess the first thing you should do is think of a fucking awesome idea.

Self Publishing is probably the easier way to go. you can write whatever you want that way.

I write. I voice act. Drop me a PM. Sig by Ejit

BBS Signature
Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-04 18:23:06 Reply

Perhaps a whole book is jumping the gun a little. Have you written any short stories? These are a good place to start.

If you want to try for a book straight up, I guess the first thing you should do is think of a fucking awesome idea.

Self Publishing is probably the easier way to go. you can write whatever you want that way.

Come to think about it, a collection of short stories published as a book would be perfect. Thanks for the tips. Do you know where I could go to get advice for self publishing?

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-04 18:25:17 Reply

At 18 hours ago, Anabioo wrote: I want to ask a few questions:
If they are readying the book for print by their self, what applications are recommended?

I'd stick away from applications, myself and I'd have a look at lulu, which is an online publishing resource. Rather than print the manuscript yourself and try to distribute, which could give the book a decidedly amateurish look to it all, you could quite get it ready for publication, advertise it and having set your own price, you get profits, when people buy books.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
KitFez
KitFez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-04 22:21:47 Reply

Hello! I'm Kit Harrison, and I guess this is the best place to introduce myself. I'm a British writer and gamer, and I try to do my part to cater to both interests, not least through contributing to forums and generally larking about on the internet.

My claim to writing fame, I suppose, is MoaBG (pronounced "mow-ah-bee-gee", and standing for "Musings of a British Gamer") which is my personal blog/site that plays host to all manner of content I've produced, be it written, spoken, drawn or created and uploaded to YouTube and (maybe one day, if I get a dab hand at Flash in on my little act) Newgrounds.

Here's the clincher: MoaBG will be updated every single day, regardless of what's happened, how busy I am or what little I have to talk about. There are bound to be a few days where I can't think of anything to say, but I've kept my once-a-day promise going since May 23rd 2011, and I'm not going to let up now!

I also run a weekly, if somewhat unviewed, YouTube series called The Pixel Show, which takes a brief unscripted look at three gaming issues a week. Its theme music is by Lil Deuce Deuce, who did the music for asdfmovie4, so that's something to write home about, I guess!

I've also tried my hand at screenwriting, and a concept for a sci-fi comedy is currently on its way to the BBC for consideration. I hope I can make an impact here on the BBS, and I greet you all with a hearty hello!

BBS Signature
Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-04 22:27:07 Reply

A hearty hello indeed, Kit. You will always (probably) be welcome here. Just leave your blog to your sig as much as you can, and we'll all get along fine. I am tempted to look up that link, by the way.

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~

BBS Signature
KitFez
KitFez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-04 22:29:18 Reply

At 39 seconds ago, Anabioo wrote: A hearty hello indeed, Kit. You will always (probably) be welcome here. Just leave your blog to your sig as much as you can, and we'll all get along fine. I am tempted to look up that link, by the way.

Oh, of course. I wasn't explicitly trying to plug it, but there wasn't much of a better way to introduce myself to the Writing section of the forum without giving it at least a passing mention - it's pretty much the nexus of me on the Internet, and so if you wanted to see a bit of my writing you're best headed there. Thank you for the kind welcome, and I hope indeed we all get along!

BBS Signature
Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-04 22:35:42 Reply

At 3 minutes ago, KitFez wrote: Oh, of course. I wasn't explicitly trying to plug it, but there wasn't much of a better way to introduce myself to the Writing section of the forum without giving it at least a passing mention - it's pretty much the nexus of me on the Internet, and so if you wanted to see a bit of my writing you're best headed there. Thank you for the kind welcome, and I hope indeed we all get along!

Well, I did not mean you did anything wrong introducing yourself with it. (I am pretty sure that's how my intro went, but who's going to look that up? Not me.) I did look up your blog. An appealing one it is. But could you tell me how it is powered by blogger and not "moabg.blogspot.com" but "moabg.com"? (I think it'd be cool to get my own domain for my blogger blog.)

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~

BBS Signature
KitFez
KitFez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-04 22:43:31 Reply

At 3 minutes ago, Anabioo wrote: Well, I did not mean you did anything wrong introducing yourself with it. (I am pretty sure that's how my intro went, but who's going to look that up? Not me.) I did look up your blog. An appealing one it is. But could you tell me how it is powered by blogger and not "moabg.blogspot.com" but "moabg.com"? (I think it'd be cool to get my own domain for my blogger blog.)

If you head into your blog's settings, and go to Settings > Basic, there's a section called "Blog Address" that will then allow you to purchase a URL for your blog. In the case of my blog, it's around £10 a year. Your existing blog address (www.BLOGNAME.blogspot.com) will automatically redirect to the new URL, so you don't have to worry about notifying your readers too much of the big move.

Thank you for saying it is good! You have no idea how much it means to me when people say my content is worth viewing!

BBS Signature
John234pwns
John234pwns
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-06 04:42:51 Reply

I'm not exactly new to NG, but I've been gone for about a year, and I rarely scour the BBS. I'm John, normally go by "John_234." I admin on a zombie survival site, do some work on DeviantArt and FF.net. Not a spectacularly good writer, but I'm always looking to improve. Nice to see an active writer's community.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Albert Einstein

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-06 12:38:06 Reply

At 2 days ago, Anabioo wrote: I want to ask a few questions:

If you guessed that the "someone" was me, you guessed right. I was thinking about using MS Office Publisher, but I do not own it, and Word can't figure out "Oh, he wants to fold the page in half, so I should put page one here, page two on this other sheet...." Of course, if I simply let someone else (i.e. a publisher) do final designs for me, I'd not have to worry about it, but I do not want to do that. I was thinking about distributing it myself, mostly online on places like Amazon and physically to people I know, but I don't know how to copyright protect my work.
Thanks!

I'm planning on writing a sort of tutorial for this, based on my experience with publishing The Newgrounds Writing Anthology. And Word can actually do it for you, but you need to know some subtle trickery to pull it off. When I find the time, I'll be sure to post in this forum.

Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-06 17:46:16 Reply

At 5 hours ago, EKublai wrote: I'm planning on writing a sort of tutorial for this...

I found Coop's link to lulu very helpful, they walk you through the process quite well.

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~

BBS Signature
EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-07 19:36:54 Reply

At 1 day ago, Anabioo wrote:
At 5 hours ago, EKublai wrote: I'm planning on writing a sort of tutorial for this...
I found Coop's link to lulu very helpful, they walk you through the process quite well.

I think a tutorial on how to make a good looking book would be in order. Such as not using their cover designer for text or formatting your text without having to pay for Lulu's professional help. It requires a bit more work than Lulu is prepared to give. Also, they would probably prefer people pay them to do the job than show them how to do it themselves. More arenas for business.

Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-12 00:02:38 Reply

At 4 days ago, EKublai wrote:
At 1 day ago, Anabioo wrote:
I think a tutorial on how to make a good looking book would be in order. Such as not using their cover designer for text or formatting your text without having to pay for Lulu's professional help. It requires a bit more work than Lulu is prepared to give. Also, they would probably prefer people pay them to do the job than show them how to do it themselves. More arenas for business.

Look what I found! Amazon has a program for help in self-publishing, here.

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~

BBS Signature
Anabioo
Anabioo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-12 00:13:03 Reply

At 9 minutes ago, Anabioo wrote: Look what I found! Amazon has a program for help in self-publishing, here.

Actually, I would rather not use Amazon's Create Space; I do not like the terms of the "member agreement."

I do all my own stunts.
~Anabioo~

BBS Signature
pvt-blasto
pvt-blasto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-03-12 11:40:38 Reply

At 8 days ago, MattyT wrote:
At 1 day ago, pvt-blasto wrote:
my comic:
Out of curiosity, Who made that website?

friend of mine started it, and I've personally been building it up and maintaining it since. I would say half of it is his and half of it is mine.

BBS Signature