New Topic Respond to this Topic
Delacroix
Delacroix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Dec. 15th, 2011 @ 01:39 PM Reply

Hello, the name's Delacroix. As you can see, I joined early in 2005, but I've been to and from Newgrounds over the years. Spent some time over at deviantArt, but I've since deactivated my account there, as ultimately I felt out of place. I did enter some literature pieces, but they were rather short, as I can't seem to come up with anything of any decent length.

Still, anyway, nice to meet you all. :)

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Dec. 15th, 2011 @ 05:30 PM Reply

Well, it seemed like there was no better place to put this - kind of wanted it a little more public than the News Posts, but somewhere where I won't have to see it every day, but as some f you may be aware, today was my Uncle's funeral.

Hard to think really that someone whom you've known all of your life had such a lot going on in theirs, that you feel like you hardly knew them. Considering that he had such a sporting background, I'm more surprised to see that his son hasn't taken up much in the way of sport, with karate only becoming a recent trend in his interests.

You really never know what you're going to get, on an emotional level, as each person's life touches every other person in a different way. The church was rammed, with so many people eager to pay their last respects to a respected teacher, devoted father and passionate sportsman. A lot of his former colleagues (some of whom had taught me in the past, which provided a few awkward moments!) turned out and I was happy to see them, albeit sad due to the circumstances.

His passion for Canada is the larger legacy he left me with, as my feelings for the country and its national sport have become so great over the past decade that I only hope he was able to see how I progressed from his passion to my own. Someday, perhaps I'll get to travel back there, as since I made the trip while he was out there, the world has seemingly become a much smaller place.

He had a lot of control over his funeral, knowing that the writing was on the wall for him - not my own choice, as I'd rather be around those I love, having them remind me of the good times, while I was still with them, so at a time like a funeral, they can say what they liked - If I were there to hear, maybe I'd be happier to know that.

In the words of Yogi Berra, "I try to go to other people's funerals, otherwise they might not come to mine." In a way, it's true, but he said it in a silly way. Nobody's perfect, eh?

I hope that my cousins and my aunt are alright, though the release of the emotion will have done a lot to help them. Still, if they want to head to a secluded hill and just shout about how unjust the world is, I'll be happy to drive them there.

It's been a trying day and I just felt that I should say something...

Olympic standard B/Per *** Review Request Club
News
Post Stats Here!

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Dec. 15th, 2011 @ 10:35 PM Reply

At 12/15/11 05:30 PM, Coop wrote:

It's been a trying day and I just felt that I should say something...

You shouldtalk to someone about it, and I mean really talk about it. There's only so much an internet cohort can do to help, friend.

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
JohnEndel959
JohnEndel959
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Dec. 15th, 2011 @ 11:20 PM Reply

Hey, John here. I randomly pop in here from time to time and write for RPs. I always mean to join in on monthly contests, but I always seem to come up with a great idea RIGHT after the deadline...

Anyway, I've been reading all the Stephen King I can get my hands on recently, and I was really curious about writing a more horror-like story next. I've never really done anything like this before though, so I was wondering if there was any sort of guide that effectively teaches the basics of scaring readers.

I have Stephen King's book On Writing, but that didn't actually have any tips on writing specifically for horror. The stories from his budding career were really good, but the writing guide parts seemed really basic. For example, he dedicated an entire chapter to explaining why adverbs are bad.

Sig by Byteslinger.
Writing by John Endel.
Zombie Story! <= read it! Nuclear Apocalypse Story! <= read this too!

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Dec. 16th, 2011 @ 03:20 AM Reply

At 12/15/11 10:35 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 12/15/11 05:30 PM, Coop wrote: It's been a trying day and I just felt that I should say something...
You should talk to someone about it, and I mean really talk about it. There's only so much an internet cohort can do to help, friend.

It's not that - I've had a talk to a lot of people and the emotion of the day had really drained me - so much so that I'm off out on an errand and then going back to bed for a little while. I just got the feeling that some of my thoughts should be put down where they were kept, but not bottled up, if you know what I mean.

News
Post Stats Here!

BBS Signature
Sarai
Sarai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Movie Buff
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 11:52 AM Reply

Wishing all of those who pursue what they love, including writing, a very Merry Christmas, a happy New Year and most importantly that 2012 brings you what you need to grow, develop and enjoy life.

Have a lovely day

-S

The Newgrounds O-Ren-Ishii but with a nicer smile and still alive

Got Rice?

BBS Signature
ZeeAk
ZeeAk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Dec. 25th, 2011 @ 09:54 AM Reply

I know I haven't been on this forum in a really long time, for various reasons, but I thought I might just say that I finished my third novel last week. I still have editing to do, and re-writing to do on all of them, but I'm still pretty happy with what's come of them.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:55 AM Reply

At 12/24/11 11:52 AM, Sarai wrote: Wishing all of those who pursue what they love, including writing, a very Merry Christmas, a happy New Year and most importantly that 2012 brings you what you need to grow, develop and enjoy life.

Thanks Sarai, Happy New Year to you as well.

At 12/25/11 09:54 AM, ZeeAk wrote: I know I haven't been on this forum in a really long time, for various reasons, but I thought I might just say that I finished my third novel last week.

Wow, that was quickly done. I guess you enjoy the slog of that sort of thing. What length are we talking here?

News
Post Stats Here!

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 5th, 2012 @ 11:25 AM Reply

Do anyone notice that whenever a story in Fanfiction.net or Fictionpress.com gets updated, sometiems there would be a surge of hits for a day?

Not only that, in some cases a story would somehow keeps on receiving hits day after day even after adding one chapter.

My collection of short-fics in Fictionpress haven't been getting any hits lately even after being updated from time to time yet somehow my TSA story kept on receiving hits for weeks now.

Maybe the security issues with TSA are still topical to retain relevance?

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
BrianEtrius
BrianEtrius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 5th, 2012 @ 04:51 PM Reply

At 1/5/12 11:25 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Maybe the security issues with TSA are still topical to retain relevance?

Perhaps it's because they like that one the best?

Anyways, happy New Year, and it terms of writing, I've been contacted to help develop a video game script dealing with politics, diplomatic relations and national security in an alternate post 9/11 world. Hopefully the gameplay will come out good.

New to Politics?/ Friend of the Devil/ I review writing! PM me
"Question everything generally thought to be obvious."-Dieter Rams

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 PM Reply

At 1/5/12 04:51 PM, BrianEtrius wrote:
At 1/5/12 11:25 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Maybe the security issues with TSA are still topical to retain relevance?
Perhaps it's because they like that one the best?

Maybe, since I did added few more chapters and they're pretty outlandish compared to the somewhat messed up nature of the first chapter. It was going to be a one-shot but then hearing how terrorists might plan on using bomb implants after the nut-bomber got caught, I just can't pass them one up.

Anyways, happy New Year, and it terms of writing, I've been contacted to help develop a video game script dealing with politics, diplomatic relations and national security in an alternate post 9/11 world. Hopefully the gameplay will come out good.

That sounds interesting, hopefully it'll work out well.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 5th, 2012 @ 08:32 PM Reply

At 1/5/12 11:25 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Do anyone notice that whenever a story in Fanfiction.net or Fictionpress.com gets updated, sometiems there would be a surge of hits for a day?

I've always hated fanfiction. I don't really think that these events are significant and that it is just random whims and trends of fanfiction/fictionpress goers.

At 1/5/12 04:51 PM, BrianEtrius wrote:

That's enough info for me to know it will be pretty sweet.

BBS Signature
JohnEndel959
JohnEndel959
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 5th, 2012 @ 11:34 PM Reply

At 1/5/12 08:32 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 1/5/12 11:25 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Do anyone notice that whenever a story in Fanfiction.net or Fictionpress.com gets updated, sometiems there would be a surge of hits for a day?
I've always hated fanfiction. I don't really think that these events are significant and that it is just random whims and trends of fanfiction/fictionpress goers.

I don't know, I think Fanfiction is a good way to start up writing. If you don't yet have the time or creativity to create believable characters of your own, at least you can use already established ones to get used to mechanics and constructing a story. I wish Fanfiction wasn't more popular to read on the internet than regular fiction, because I see Fanfiction as more of a training ground. If people receive overdue praise, they have no motivation to create stories and characters of their own.

Sig by Byteslinger.
Writing by John Endel.
Zombie Story! <= read it! Nuclear Apocalypse Story! <= read this too!

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 7th, 2012 @ 07:56 PM Reply

At 1/5/12 11:34 PM, JohnEndel959 wrote:

I've only been to Fanfiction once so I can only judge from what I've seen:

It is not a very productive or constructive environment for aspiring writers or novice writers. It seems as if new writers can't make a dent to the already established drivel. Most kids learn the basics of the narrative in school. If they never got that type of experience, Fanfiction seems like the worst place to go. If they decide they want to pursue creative writing for whatever reason, they usually have to start at square one.

Besides, creating setting and characters is the most basal component of the narrative :O

BBS Signature
ZeeAk
ZeeAk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 8th, 2012 @ 05:11 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 10:55 AM, Coop wrote: Wow, that was quickly done. I guess you enjoy the slog of that sort of thing. What length are we talking here?

The slog is quite an interesting experience, but it's also the most elating feeling when it's finished.
They're all just over 50, 000 words, which is a length that I'm entirely happy with; even though it's a length that a lot of people would discredit as a novel.

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 8th, 2012 @ 05:57 AM Reply

At 12/24/11 11:52 AM, Sarai wrote: Wishing all of those who pursue what they love, including writing, a very Merry Christmas, a happy New Year and most importantly that 2012 brings you what you need to grow, develop and enjoy life.

Have a lovely day

-S

Oh hi dear.

My resolution this year, is to finish my first book, and have it published.

You shall all know soon enough when this happens. I'm almost done too.

RaylinTazukoma
RaylinTazukoma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 9th, 2012 @ 10:37 AM Reply

At 1/8/12 05:57 AM, FBIpolux wrote:
Oh hi dear.

My resolution this year, is to finish my first book, and have it published.

You shall all know soon enough when this happens. I'm almost done too.

I'm right with you on that resolution.
Also, howdy. I'm new; name's Raylin.
I heard this lounge was pretty chill, so here I am.
Huzzah! *raises a bottle of Sprite*

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 10th, 2012 @ 06:10 PM Reply

I'm sad to say that I won't be continuing the Weekly Writing Exercises; no one participated in the last one. I realize that it was tougher than the first two and people didn't want to invest, but that's what I was moving towards and future exercises were gonna be like that. I never really felt that there was much interest and I thank those that did participate, especially more than once. In addition, the Spring semester is upon me, so I will be busy the next few weeks as I settle into my classes. Oh well...

*kicks can purposelessly*

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 13th, 2012 @ 01:17 AM Reply

In happier news, I just got back from the first night of my Intro to Creative Fiction class and I can tell I'm gonna love it. The professor started talking about literary fiction and how it represents the ideal form of fiction, and how genre fiction can be great as well, but it ain't literary fiction. She talked about characters and setting and how killing off characters is too easy and that keeping them alive and focusing on the problem is harder but better. Man, it's great to see a professor reaffirm what I sorta thought about writing. I want to grow as a writer and the class mostly works around peer-review with some professor input. I hate being condescending, but some of the students--I don't know about them. I can't wait to start writing and see where this takes me.

Peace.

BBS Signature
JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 15th, 2012 @ 12:17 PM Reply

get it published? who did you sleep with and where can I find them.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 17th, 2012 @ 08:24 AM Reply

Not only that, in some cases a story would somehow keeps on receiving hits day after day even after adding one chapter.

It's a combination of the pieces being pulled to the front under "new" work and the fact that some people reading the latest part go back and read the whole lot again.

At 1/5/12 08:32 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: I've always hated fanfiction. I don't really think that these events are significant and that it is just random whims and trends of fanfiction/fictionpress goers.

It's a bit harsh to tarnish all of it with the same brush. Occasionally, you get a gem in there, as with most genres. I'm sure that if you looked at enough Twilight fanfiction, you'd get something that was actually good, as opposed to the trashy teen drivel that was originally written.

At 1/10/12 06:10 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: I'm sad to say that I won't be continuing the Weekly Writing Exercises; no one participated in the last one.

Setting it up around the Xmas break is a tough ask, but we are still trying to find our feet as a forum. I should have given it a go, but with other deadlines approaching, I've had to concentrate on them, instead.

News
Post Stats Here!

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 26th, 2012 @ 11:57 AM Reply

At 1/13/12 01:17 AM, DeftAndEvil wrote: In happier news, I just got back from the first night of my Intro to Creative Fiction class and I can tell I'm gonna love it.

Ugh... I loooved my Creating Writing class. Even though we only covered poetry and flash fiction, it was a great experience. It was a good taste of what graduate creative writing workshops are going to be like.

The professor started talking about literary fiction and how it represents the ideal form of fiction, and how genre fiction can be great as well, but it ain't literary fiction.

If you're well read, I'm sure you've already noticed this trend. I agree. I feel it is because of this that genres are beginning to bleed into one another. An example would be The Timetraveler's Wife; a romance novel mixed with science fiction. Also Mistborn; a Fantasy story mixed with a heist story. Conventional/Genre fiction is becoming increasingly boring as we start to near a critical point, where readers are well enough read to recognize the cliches. By bending and blending genres, a writer is able to freely tell a story without being concerned about where it'll be categorized (a very real concern in the Publishing Industry).

She talked about characters and setting and how killing off characters is too easy and that keeping them alive and focusing on the problem is harder but better.

Well, a story is about conflict. It's the drama that keeps us intrigued. If you kill a character, you're blunting the drama. The best time to kill a character is not as a resolution to a problem, but where the death would equate a worsening of the problem. For example, if your main character has a mentor, and the mentor is carrying your character through a lot of issues, when the biggest issue comes around, that'd be the best time to kill the mentor.

Death is a dirty business though, when it comes to writing. If you build too much emotion around the character, your reader will be extremely disappointed. If you build too little, the reader won't care. In the end, it's about what's best for the story. Just never let a character death be your answer to a particularly tough plot point.

Man, it's great to see a professor reaffirm what I sorta thought about writing. I want to grow as a writer and the class mostly works around peer-review with some professor input. I hate being condescending, but some of the students--I don't know about them. I can't wait to start writing and see where this takes me.

The biggest favor you can do yourself is to be honest in your writing. In my class, my first poem was terrible because I didn't let myself be honest. My second one was noticably better, as if someone else had written it. Remember, if you can't be honest in front of an audience of peers, you'll never be honest trying to make an audience of the masses.

Peace.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Sharu
Sharu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2012 @ 10:28 PM Reply

At 1/10/12 06:10 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: I'm sad to say that I won't be continuing the Weekly Writing Exercises; no one participated in the last one.

I'm sorry that you're dropping the exercises, though I understand why. I was honestly, and pleasantly, surprised when you did start them. I'm just getting back on the forum after finals last month stringed together with a not quite severe, but still pretty bad, concussion (I shouldn't technically be on the computer that much/at all, but it's getting better so I'm giving myself some time).
I hope your creative writing course goes well, Deft; that's one thing I'm looking forward to next year in college. So I guess that's my two cents for now, and I hope everyone's finals went well!

"there is no true end to any fairy-tale"~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 30th, 2012 @ 10:36 AM Reply

At 1/28/12 10:28 PM, Sharu wrote:
I'm sorry that you're dropping the exercises, though I understand why. I was honestly, and pleasantly, surprised when you did start them.

I think that with the core of solid writiers that we're developing now, we may need to look at relaunching the Monthly Writing Contests. We need some inspiration, a good committed panel of judges and some ways of getting publicity for it.

Any ideas?

News
Post Stats Here!

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 30th, 2012 @ 11:24 AM Reply

At 1/30/12 10:36 AM, Coop wrote:
At 1/28/12 10:28 PM, Sharu wrote:
I'm sorry that you're dropping the exercises, though I understand why. I was honestly, and pleasantly, surprised when you did start them.
I think that with the core of solid writiers that we're developing now, we may need to look at relaunching the Monthly Writing Contests. We need some inspiration, a good committed panel of judges and some ways of getting publicity for it.

Any ideas?

The issue with the MWC is lack of planning. Since it was so spurious, there was not only difficulty in consistently creating appealing prompts, there was also the issue of having quality, dependable judges. If the writers are confident in the competence of the judges, they won't have an issue being judged, as they know it'll be fair.

I think the best bet for MWC's continued success is to divide it into "seasons." Each season should have a committed panel of judges, and an ongoing relevence/connectivity. This would allow the writers to serialize, and instead of focusing on new, unique content, they can focus on aspects of what they've written.

For example, Season 1 could open with introducing characters, follow up with foreshadowing, then dialog, and onwards. After a set amount of prompts, the season could finish off with completing promises/chekov's gun, and completing character arcs.

Or each season could focus on a particular aspect (such as characterization, plotting, narrative...). The example given, however, would more than likely attract more writers as they can always plug in when their area of weakness comes up. The prompt could even be pieces of a story, and the writers need to use their creativity to put it all together. I'm pretty sure minimizing the amount of time creating, and increasing the amount of time building, would be allow more writers to check in, learn the lesson, compete with other writers, and grow while having fun.

To also play devil's advocate, I think this idea defeats the purpose of an MWC as we're moving from a writing contest, to a writing workshop. Would be cool though to have weekly updates, with the last week of the month being the week of the competition.

After next Tuesday, if the lit portal is opened up, I think this would become very useful and attractive in making the portal accessible. There's going to be a ton of influx, and a ton of contributors who would find writing a more desirable alternative to contributing to the website. While it won't curb shitty entries, it'll at least give a tool to refer those that want to actually improve (i.e. "Weak plot, check out MWC 1.7 and 2.4 to improve your understanding of character motivation").

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 31st, 2012 @ 04:22 PM Reply

To avoid sounding self-important, I will preface this post by saying I in no way see myself as vital or important to the continued success of this forum. I only see myself as an individual who made promises to people and left them unkept. Not only that, I ninja'd when I shouldn't have. A lot of things have brought me to this point, brought me full circle, and I recognize these things. More importantly, before I let myself get too involved, I want to address my past transgression.

This apology is aimed at EKublai and AdamCook primarily, but also anyone else who was upset by my sudden dissappearance and apparent abandonment of the Anthology: http://deathcon7.newgrounds.com/news/pos t/686434

While I'm sure my absence may have went unnoticed, and, as stated, I won't be so arrogant as to believe it hasn't, this apology is owed, and I link to it here so that it can remain immediately prominent on my profile. I apologize if this is melodramatic, or maudlin, but it'll bug me otherwise if I simply ignore it. Thank you for your patience.

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jan. 31st, 2012 @ 10:52 PM Reply

At 1/31/12 04:22 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: To avoid sounding self-important, I will preface this post by saying I in no way see myself as vital or important to the continued success of this forum. I only see myself as an individual who made promises to people and left them unkept. Not only that, I ninja'd when I shouldn't have. A lot of things have brought me to this point, brought me full circle, and I recognize these things. More importantly, before I let myself get too involved, I want to address my past transgression.

This apology is aimed at EKublai and AdamCook primarily, but also anyone else who was upset by my sudden dissappearance and apparent abandonment of the Anthology: http://deathcon7.newgrounds.com/news/pos t/686434

While I'm sure my absence may have went unnoticed, and, as stated, I won't be so arrogant as to believe it hasn't, this apology is owed, and I link to it here so that it can remain immediately prominent on my profile. I apologize if this is melodramatic, or maudlin, but it'll bug me otherwise if I simply ignore it. Thank you for your patience.

Class act. Thanks for those kind words and I'm glad you decided to make them public. In my mind, you don't have to apologize for anything, but reading your post is still very touching because it touches on what I think is most important part about developing a writing culture on Newgrounds, which is that writers feel the social burden of being part of a community.

Your departure from the forum was felt, Deathcon, primarily because we lost someone willing to turn their mind from their own writing to ours. As much as I would have liked your participation in the anthology, I was less concerned about that than I was about being down a recognizable face. It was the equivalent of you saying you couldn't come to my birthday party versus saying your family was moving out of my neighborhood. Either way, you can't be blamed for it though. For some, "moving on" is arriving and for some, leaving.

"Give and take" is what Newgrounds is all about. Even after a decade and more, Newgrounds is still ahead of the times. Not only does it blur the line between creator and consumer more intimately than other sites but it has Tom's face, a human face, at its storefront. To be a member of Newgrounds you need an identity and when you interact with others on here, you exchange identities as well as ideas. Hopefully, that's the direction the writing forum and the lit portal will take.

Again, thanks for the post. The plan is for the anthology to be published in April so if you're in the neighborhood.... (Okay that was a bit mawkish)

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Feb. 1st, 2012 @ 10:45 AM Reply

EKublai, thanks for your words of encouragement. If you need any help with editing the anthology, or any content/material to spruce it up, just let me know. I'll do what I can. I'm also willing to help finance, just let me know how much you'll need and I'll see what I can do. Let's get this crackin!

I've also noticed some threads that could use a little reading over. Seems this forum has slowed considerably since I was here. Which, I guess, is a good an bad thing. Doesn't seem to be as much terrible poetry; although I am seeing an influx of Fan Fiction. I should probably get my copy-pasta cooked so I can boilerplate it. Hahaha.

Anyway, it feels good to be back. I'll be sure to keep my head this time, and my ego well in check.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Feb. 1st, 2012 @ 05:38 PM Reply

At 1/31/12 04:22 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: To avoid sounding self-important, I will preface this post by saying I in no way see myself as vital or important to the continued success of this forum.

And yet, everyone is important to the continued success of this forum. From someone with creative ideas that wants to start out, all the way up to someone who has been published and is looking for the next big thing. We all have roles to play and to a degree, they get neglected from time to time.

Procrastination is both a blessing and a curse, particularly here. Without the ability to "switch off", we would all become mindless zombies and just be sat there fulfilling our functions like robots, which helps no-one, because writing is not a mass-production line. We diversify, yet sometimes, that allows things to get off track and while we should not necessarily welcome it, we should accept that it is going to happen.

News
Post Stats Here!

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Feb. 1st, 2012 @ 05:52 PM Reply

At 1/30/12 10:36 AM, Coop wrote:

Any ideas?

I think the main problem with the MWC is the lack of appeal. Most of the stories in the MWCs come from people I've never seen before and never have seen again; many of them go in with a "why-not?" attitude. We should get more people to be more serious about it, as well as offer a sort of workshop for writers.

Also, I think the MWCs should be very prompt. They start on the first and end on the last day of the month. Results should be in within two days of the results closing. Judges should be judging the stories as they come along and provide grades to each entry so the results can be posted almost immediately. Writers could then solicit reviews from the judges.

At 1/31/12 04:22 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:

Nope, I'm pretty sure most of the regulars noticed. Thankfully ZeeAk, Brian, Coop, and Ekublai check in from time to time. I was wondering where your story was; I was looking forward to it. There seems to be an intermittent flow of people trying to whore out their scripts (but they leave forever when they realize that this isn't the place for that) and people who post one-and-done. There were some people who actually bothered to post in other threads besides their own, but they're gone too.

At 1/31/12 10:52 PM, EKublai wrote:
"Give and take" is what Newgrounds is all about. Even after a decade and more, Newgrounds is still ahead of the times. Not only does it blur the line between creator and consumer more intimately than other sites but it has Tom's face, a human face, at its storefront. To be a member of Newgrounds you need an identity and when you interact with others on here, you exchange identities as well as ideas. Hopefully, that's the direction the writing forum and the lit portal will take.

Yeah, I guess. I honestly could give a fuck (I don't) about NG. I really only care about the Writing Forum and have an underlying contempt towards General and people from FanFiction. I want the NG Writing Forum to be a place that fosters nascent writers and cultivates experienced writers. I think we all know that with the sudden surge in popularity from the Lit Portal NG's literary community will see an influx of very poor and tasteless prose and poetry. I'm pretty sure the current community of Writing Forum could wane such a result.

Writing Forum FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!

BBS Signature