New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sharu
Sharu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-01-28 22:28:34 Reply

At 1/10/12 06:10 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: I'm sad to say that I won't be continuing the Weekly Writing Exercises; no one participated in the last one.

I'm sorry that you're dropping the exercises, though I understand why. I was honestly, and pleasantly, surprised when you did start them. I'm just getting back on the forum after finals last month stringed together with a not quite severe, but still pretty bad, concussion (I shouldn't technically be on the computer that much/at all, but it's getting better so I'm giving myself some time).
I hope your creative writing course goes well, Deft; that's one thing I'm looking forward to next year in college. So I guess that's my two cents for now, and I hope everyone's finals went well!

"there is no true end to any fairy-tale"~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-01-30 10:36:55 Reply

At 1/28/12 10:28 PM, Sharu wrote:
At 1/10/12 06:10 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: I'm sad to say that I won't be continuing the Weekly Writing Exercises; no one participated in the last one.
I'm sorry that you're dropping the exercises, though I understand why. I was honestly, and pleasantly, surprised when you did start them.

I think that with the core of solid writiers that we're developing now, we may need to look at relaunching the Monthly Writing Contests. We need some inspiration, a good committed panel of judges and some ways of getting publicity for it.

Any ideas?

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-01-30 11:24:09 Reply

At 1/30/12 10:36 AM, Coop wrote:
At 1/28/12 10:28 PM, Sharu wrote:
I'm sorry that you're dropping the exercises, though I understand why. I was honestly, and pleasantly, surprised when you did start them.
I think that with the core of solid writiers that we're developing now, we may need to look at relaunching the Monthly Writing Contests. We need some inspiration, a good committed panel of judges and some ways of getting publicity for it.

Any ideas?

The issue with the MWC is lack of planning. Since it was so spurious, there was not only difficulty in consistently creating appealing prompts, there was also the issue of having quality, dependable judges. If the writers are confident in the competence of the judges, they won't have an issue being judged, as they know it'll be fair.

I think the best bet for MWC's continued success is to divide it into "seasons." Each season should have a committed panel of judges, and an ongoing relevence/connectivity. This would allow the writers to serialize, and instead of focusing on new, unique content, they can focus on aspects of what they've written.

For example, Season 1 could open with introducing characters, follow up with foreshadowing, then dialog, and onwards. After a set amount of prompts, the season could finish off with completing promises/chekov's gun, and completing character arcs.

Or each season could focus on a particular aspect (such as characterization, plotting, narrative...). The example given, however, would more than likely attract more writers as they can always plug in when their area of weakness comes up. The prompt could even be pieces of a story, and the writers need to use their creativity to put it all together. I'm pretty sure minimizing the amount of time creating, and increasing the amount of time building, would be allow more writers to check in, learn the lesson, compete with other writers, and grow while having fun.

To also play devil's advocate, I think this idea defeats the purpose of an MWC as we're moving from a writing contest, to a writing workshop. Would be cool though to have weekly updates, with the last week of the month being the week of the competition.

After next Tuesday, if the lit portal is opened up, I think this would become very useful and attractive in making the portal accessible. There's going to be a ton of influx, and a ton of contributors who would find writing a more desirable alternative to contributing to the website. While it won't curb shitty entries, it'll at least give a tool to refer those that want to actually improve (i.e. "Weak plot, check out MWC 1.7 and 2.4 to improve your understanding of character motivation").

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-01-31 16:22:15 Reply

To avoid sounding self-important, I will preface this post by saying I in no way see myself as vital or important to the continued success of this forum. I only see myself as an individual who made promises to people and left them unkept. Not only that, I ninja'd when I shouldn't have. A lot of things have brought me to this point, brought me full circle, and I recognize these things. More importantly, before I let myself get too involved, I want to address my past transgression.

This apology is aimed at EKublai and AdamCook primarily, but also anyone else who was upset by my sudden dissappearance and apparent abandonment of the Anthology: http://deathcon7.newgrounds.com/news/pos t/686434

While I'm sure my absence may have went unnoticed, and, as stated, I won't be so arrogant as to believe it hasn't, this apology is owed, and I link to it here so that it can remain immediately prominent on my profile. I apologize if this is melodramatic, or maudlin, but it'll bug me otherwise if I simply ignore it. Thank you for your patience.

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-01-31 22:52:37 Reply

At 1/31/12 04:22 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: To avoid sounding self-important, I will preface this post by saying I in no way see myself as vital or important to the continued success of this forum. I only see myself as an individual who made promises to people and left them unkept. Not only that, I ninja'd when I shouldn't have. A lot of things have brought me to this point, brought me full circle, and I recognize these things. More importantly, before I let myself get too involved, I want to address my past transgression.

This apology is aimed at EKublai and AdamCook primarily, but also anyone else who was upset by my sudden dissappearance and apparent abandonment of the Anthology: http://deathcon7.newgrounds.com/news/pos t/686434

While I'm sure my absence may have went unnoticed, and, as stated, I won't be so arrogant as to believe it hasn't, this apology is owed, and I link to it here so that it can remain immediately prominent on my profile. I apologize if this is melodramatic, or maudlin, but it'll bug me otherwise if I simply ignore it. Thank you for your patience.

Class act. Thanks for those kind words and I'm glad you decided to make them public. In my mind, you don't have to apologize for anything, but reading your post is still very touching because it touches on what I think is most important part about developing a writing culture on Newgrounds, which is that writers feel the social burden of being part of a community.

Your departure from the forum was felt, Deathcon, primarily because we lost someone willing to turn their mind from their own writing to ours. As much as I would have liked your participation in the anthology, I was less concerned about that than I was about being down a recognizable face. It was the equivalent of you saying you couldn't come to my birthday party versus saying your family was moving out of my neighborhood. Either way, you can't be blamed for it though. For some, "moving on" is arriving and for some, leaving.

"Give and take" is what Newgrounds is all about. Even after a decade and more, Newgrounds is still ahead of the times. Not only does it blur the line between creator and consumer more intimately than other sites but it has Tom's face, a human face, at its storefront. To be a member of Newgrounds you need an identity and when you interact with others on here, you exchange identities as well as ideas. Hopefully, that's the direction the writing forum and the lit portal will take.

Again, thanks for the post. The plan is for the anthology to be published in April so if you're in the neighborhood.... (Okay that was a bit mawkish)

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-01 10:45:38 Reply

EKublai, thanks for your words of encouragement. If you need any help with editing the anthology, or any content/material to spruce it up, just let me know. I'll do what I can. I'm also willing to help finance, just let me know how much you'll need and I'll see what I can do. Let's get this crackin!

I've also noticed some threads that could use a little reading over. Seems this forum has slowed considerably since I was here. Which, I guess, is a good an bad thing. Doesn't seem to be as much terrible poetry; although I am seeing an influx of Fan Fiction. I should probably get my copy-pasta cooked so I can boilerplate it. Hahaha.

Anyway, it feels good to be back. I'll be sure to keep my head this time, and my ego well in check.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-01 17:38:28 Reply

At 1/31/12 04:22 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: To avoid sounding self-important, I will preface this post by saying I in no way see myself as vital or important to the continued success of this forum.

And yet, everyone is important to the continued success of this forum. From someone with creative ideas that wants to start out, all the way up to someone who has been published and is looking for the next big thing. We all have roles to play and to a degree, they get neglected from time to time.

Procrastination is both a blessing and a curse, particularly here. Without the ability to "switch off", we would all become mindless zombies and just be sat there fulfilling our functions like robots, which helps no-one, because writing is not a mass-production line. We diversify, yet sometimes, that allows things to get off track and while we should not necessarily welcome it, we should accept that it is going to happen.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-01 17:52:30 Reply

At 1/30/12 10:36 AM, Coop wrote:

Any ideas?

I think the main problem with the MWC is the lack of appeal. Most of the stories in the MWCs come from people I've never seen before and never have seen again; many of them go in with a "why-not?" attitude. We should get more people to be more serious about it, as well as offer a sort of workshop for writers.

Also, I think the MWCs should be very prompt. They start on the first and end on the last day of the month. Results should be in within two days of the results closing. Judges should be judging the stories as they come along and provide grades to each entry so the results can be posted almost immediately. Writers could then solicit reviews from the judges.

At 1/31/12 04:22 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:

Nope, I'm pretty sure most of the regulars noticed. Thankfully ZeeAk, Brian, Coop, and Ekublai check in from time to time. I was wondering where your story was; I was looking forward to it. There seems to be an intermittent flow of people trying to whore out their scripts (but they leave forever when they realize that this isn't the place for that) and people who post one-and-done. There were some people who actually bothered to post in other threads besides their own, but they're gone too.

At 1/31/12 10:52 PM, EKublai wrote:
"Give and take" is what Newgrounds is all about. Even after a decade and more, Newgrounds is still ahead of the times. Not only does it blur the line between creator and consumer more intimately than other sites but it has Tom's face, a human face, at its storefront. To be a member of Newgrounds you need an identity and when you interact with others on here, you exchange identities as well as ideas. Hopefully, that's the direction the writing forum and the lit portal will take.

Yeah, I guess. I honestly could give a fuck (I don't) about NG. I really only care about the Writing Forum and have an underlying contempt towards General and people from FanFiction. I want the NG Writing Forum to be a place that fosters nascent writers and cultivates experienced writers. I think we all know that with the sudden surge in popularity from the Lit Portal NG's literary community will see an influx of very poor and tasteless prose and poetry. I'm pretty sure the current community of Writing Forum could wane such a result.

Writing Forum FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-02 11:52:29 Reply

At 2/1/12 05:52 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: Writing Forum FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!

+1.

So I'm pretty pissed off at the moment, because I had a cup of coffee and it did not give me the kick I needed. I ran out of the strong stuff, so I had to settle for the weak stuff. It's rediculous how much of a difference it's made. Anyway, I've learned my lesson.

Need. Moar. Dark. Magic...

BrockManson
BrockManson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-04 12:39:46 Reply

Hello all,

I've always enjoyed writing as a hobby and past time. Written all manner of short stories and poems ever since I can remember. Although it wasn't until I took a writing module at Uni when I decided I need to write more!

So that was a year and a half ago when I decied it was time I ticked off one of the things on my bucket list: write a book!

Currently 85k words into my first novel, it's a story about a young boy bereaved of his sister and thrown into prison. He escapes with another inmate, who brings him aboard a pirate ship. He joins the crew but soon becomes embroiled in the vendetta that a mysterious enemy bears towards the captain.

Thought it was about time I said hi on this forum to see if I can get any writing tips from other users to help me finish this thing, and hopefully be in a position to help others out too!

Some people feel content to pour syrup on shit and call it pancakes their whole lives.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-04 17:58:33 Reply

At 2/4/12 12:39 PM, BrockManson wrote: ...

There's nothing about that I didn't like.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
TastySteaks
TastySteaks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-04 22:28:31 Reply

I suppose I'll introduce myself since I'll be posting a bit in the writing forum. I write for a living however not exactly the way I originally intended. Since I'm going to a university in a foreign country I can't legally work due to restrictions on my visa so I write articles online for some $$. Also I plan on publishing a few novels sometime in the future but am too much of a perfectionist to call any piece done.

When I first came to NG I used to just listen to looped techno songs to help me write however I'm happy I ventured from the audio portal and stumbled here. Seems like there are quite a few talented and dedicated individuals on this forum so it will be nice to finally get some educated criticism and read what others post up as well.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-05 11:44:02 Reply

There has been so much activity on the Writing Forum lately; makes me think about what it will be like in the future. There has been more activity these last 3 days than there was for all of January.

I like it.

(Although, we need more reviewers with deeper criticisms.)

BBS Signature
EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-05 23:40:33 Reply

The last story for the Anthology is in and now we're onto the cover art. Then the kickstarter campaign. April publishing date is still the plan

JohnEndel959
JohnEndel959
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-06 04:34:12 Reply

Hello again. I've just completed the short story I'm submitting to my school's literary magazine! I kind of want to post it here, but I was wondering if I should make it into a google document and then provide a link or something, since it's over 5,000 words.

The story's called The Mask, and it's my first real attempt at a horror story. I guess it's a bit similar to all the creepypasta that goes around. I've used it to experiment a bit with ways of telling a story and symbolism. I've found it very interesting to write, and I hope it's interesting to read!

Sig by Byteslinger.
Writing by John Endel.
Zombie Story! <= read it! Nuclear Apocalypse Story! <= read this too!

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-06 09:04:22 Reply

At 2/6/12 04:34 AM, JohnEndel959 wrote: Hello again. I've just completed the short story I'm submitting to my school's literary magazine! I kind of want to post it here, but I was wondering if I should make it into a google document and then provide a link or something, since it's over 5,000 words.

Make a thread and post it - if it's too long for one post, simply cut at a convenient spot and make another post straight after. So long as you don't go over the 4 replies in 1 hour limit, you're alright.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
ZeeAk
ZeeAk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-07 22:22:37 Reply

At 15 minutes ago, FBIpolux wrote: First post in the Writing forums post-redesign...

I'm not gonna lie; I'm a huge fan of the redesign. Though I did see your post in one of the General forums, and a Writer aurea would be awesome, even though demand is probably very, very limited.

I wonder when the fabled lit portal will come out.

I'm still on the fence about the Lit Portal idea. At this stage, I think the Forum is a perfect fit, because it'd be the slowest of the Portals, and it would become inundated with writing that's sub-par, as well as being far more difficult, and more time-consuming, to discover the better pieces.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-07 23:37:33 Reply

At 1 hour ago, ZeeAk wrote:
At 15 minutes ago, FBIpolux wrote: First post in the Writing forums post-redesign...
I'm not gonna lie; I'm a huge fan of the redesign. Though I did see your post in one of the General forums, and a Writer aurea would be awesome, even though demand is probably very, very limited.

Eh, the scheme is too brown and yellow. I prefer black and yellow trim.

I'm still on the fence about the Lit Portal idea. At this stage, I think the Forum is a perfect fit, because it'd be the slowest of the Portals, and it would become inundated with writing that's sub-par, as well as being far more difficult, and more time-consuming, to discover the better pieces

I think the current standing Writing Forum army is enough to stave off such a flood of poor and tasteless entries long enough for newbies to become acquainted with what we do and get them into the sensibility that the Writing section has way different (and way better) standards than the rest of NG.

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-07 23:43:02 Reply

At A few seconds ago, DeftAndEvil wrote:

Also, the icon and rank, instead of just rank, is cool, although I miss having the straight razor, as I thought that was the coolest icon. I guess I'll have to go back to actually using NG so I don't have a weird barbed boxing glove.

BBS Signature
ZeeAk
ZeeAk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 01:04:43 Reply

At 1 hour ago, DeftAndEvil wrote: Eh, the scheme is too brown and yellow. I prefer black and yellow trim.

Yea, I know what you mean, but I still quite like it.

I think the current standing Writing Forum army is enough to stave off such a flood of poor and tasteless entries long enough for newbies to become acquainted with what we do and get them into the sensibility that the Writing section has way different (and way better) standards than the rest of NG.

I think there'd have to be a very, very specific rating system that took into account all the different aspects of story-telling, and it'd have to rely on a very discrete system of measurement - like with the current Portals. There wouldn't really be all that much space for reviews, as far as I can fathom, because of the influx of material, and because a lot of the critiques I see around this forum rival the actual story for length.

Vukcic
Vukcic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 02:13:28 Reply

So someone mention writing contests and judging. I went back to quote it but I couldn't find it, so I'm just gonna post here about it.

I'm for it. I was editor of a literary magazine for a few years and I really enjoyed reading others' works and passing my arbitrary judgment on them haha. But seriously, if at any point you all need someone with experience to judge contests or whatever, talk to me.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 04:15:20 Reply

At 5 hours ago, ZeeAk wrote:

I've asked Tom for it personally. Haranguing him on AIM while he's doing the redesign has its benefits :P

I'm still on the fence about the Lit Portal idea. At this stage, I think the Forum is a perfect fit, because it'd be the slowest of the Portals, and it would become inundated with writing that's sub-par, as well as being far more difficult, and more time-consuming, to discover the better pieces.

Giving people a Writer Aura could be the start - if you're a writer, getting the word about that it's what you do is a great way forward. As this part of the community grows, we will see better writing and perhaps increased demand for such a portal would become reality.

At 1 hour ago, Vukcic wrote: So someone mention writing contests and judging. I went back to quote it but I couldn't find it, so I'm just gonna post here about it.

It's above somewhere...

I'm for it. I was editor of a literary magazine for a few years and I really enjoyed reading others' works and passing my arbitrary judgment on them haha. But seriously, if at any point you all need someone with experience to judge contests or whatever, talk to me.

I think that the best way to prove oneself is to become immersed in Writing Forum activity - submitting your own work, or just reading others' and passing critique over them. If you can come up with ideas for Contests, try the MWC Headquaters and get that old topic revived. I don't have the time I once had, sadly, but can be called upon for launching, locking and perhaps even a bit of occasional judging.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 11:51:31 Reply

Upon further thought, I've come to the concession that maybe NG isn't ready for a writing portal. The foundation just isn't there, as shown by the dearth of activity in this forum. I think as a community we need to do more to sell ourselves. While written word isn't as engaging as movies and video games, it is the foundation of such media and wholly necessary.

The issue at hand is that the large majority of successful franchises on this site are passion projects. The producers love what they do and underestimate the importance of storytelling, focusing almost entirely on the glamour (be it gameplay or visual effects). One example that comes immediately to mind is Fallen Angel. Visually it's stunning, but the storytelling is lack-luster, and blends in with the background noise of world war III/post-apocolyptic multimedia.

The issue with passion projects is that of too much passion and not enough talent. I'd like to get these producers to take a moment to consider the harm they're doing to their vision by not acquiring a competent yarn-spinner. How many great franchises on NG could have been better were it not for this shortcoming: Xombie, Fallen Angel, Paladin; just to name a few. There have been great ones out there (notably, Broken Saints), but on the whole the lack is noticable to anyone who knows what they're looking for. Tropes, deus ex machina, cliches, weak characterization; I mean, this is a real issue.

But, again, it's a passion project, and love is blind, and artists tend to be independent and distrustful with their vision.

What we need to do is to produce a prototype example of what this community can produce. We need to start a passion project of our own and show that, when the right person is put in charge of what they're good at, only good can come of it. We need to make a monster project; audio, visual, interactive, literary; smash it all together and show the world that Newgrounds is teeming with talented, dedicated individuals. I know we can do it. And I know if we pull off something like this, a Literary Portal will be a foregone conclusion.

Let's show Newgrounds that storytelling is a gift, not a given.

TL;DR: Upon further thought, we need to be more awesome.
Vukcic
Vukcic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 13:46:47 Reply

There certainly is a dearth. I'm new to the boards, and have been posting writing and trying to read others', but without that give and take, it's hard to maintain interest. But I'm the kind of person that will stick with something, so if there's a movement to try to awesome-ize, count me in. I'll be here.

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 13:58:49 Reply

At 5 minutes ago, Vukcic wrote: There certainly is a dearth. I'm new to the boards, and have been posting writing and trying to read others', but without that give and take, it's hard to maintain interest. But I'm the kind of person that will stick with something, so if there's a movement to try to awesome-ize, count me in. I'll be here.

You got a great eye for scriptwriting. I've seen a few of your threads. Structure/format aside, you could provide a lot of great insight when translating into a screenplay. When we get this going, be sure you're involved in that.

And I agree, it is hard to critique when your work goes ignored. It's happened to everyone. It's a result of over-saturation of content, and so few competent critics. My advice to you is to preface everything you post with what you're looking for. Make critiquing your work as easy as possible and I for one will be in there with ready advice.

I'm also going to start a new Review Request thread with some better rules for facilitating receiving reviews. Too many people are simply posting what they've written, myself included, and aren't specifying what they're looking for. This makes getting to every work looking for critique almost impossible. Ultimately I'd like to start up the Review Request thread with 3 or 4 other critics so we can hit all types of writing, poetry included, and articulate helpful and concise advice the writer can readily use to improve.

Vukcic, as I approach this point, I'll PM you and get you on board for script critiquing. I'll provide more details then.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 14:19:41 Reply

I am still rooting for a Lit Portal, but I think we wouldn't know what to do with it. I assume our biggest concern is too much crap, not enough refined, well-thought-out literature; in addition, the influx of crap will become so great that the Lit Portal will implode and no one will take it seriously.

And it does worry me. However, I don't think NG has anything in development, which worries me more. I agree with Deathcon that we have to earn it, but I don't think NG even takes the Writing Forum seriously, as many of the "best" animators simply write their own script; this has always bothered me: NG simply relies too much on asinine bullshit and will never be ready for serious work (not as in solemn; as in thought-out and open to constructive criticism).

If there is a sort of "scouting" method, as with the Art Portal, I think that writers who come in, looking to post crap, would be weeded out. Which brings me to the delicate conundrum:

NG needs more writers to produce a bigger body of marketable work. However, most of the writers coming in are too inexperienced and (here's the kicker) unwilling to stay to improve or unwilling to concede to criticism. So, they all leave, and the Writing Forum is just one vicious circle of writers trying to stay together but never unifying.

Also, if the Lit Portal succumbs to the same attitude that plagues NG, I am out. If the Lit Portal entails that, I am more than satisfied with the Writing Forum.

IN A LESS SOMBER AND WHINY NOTE:
here'sthe link to the MWC HQ.

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 14:27:11 Reply

Also: either I am becoming dyslexic, or the writing is becoming really hard to read. I can't stay with it. I've never blamed distractions or wall-of-texts for making a piece unreadable, but goddamn! Btw, I hate the aesthetic of the redesign; maybe I'll get used to it. Better start reading some stories.

BBS Signature
Re2deemer
Re2deemer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 15:06:07 Reply

Oh hello there writers. Don't mind me, just your neighbourhood artists that poked around the site and found something that might be of interest to you and that I haven't seen discussed anywhere.

This is the NG Style sheet found under Community->Downloads->NG Design assets.
Hello, who is this between Art and Channels?

And for those curious, the file was updated as of 18.01.12, so recent enough

Writing Forum Lounge

BBS Signature
JohnEndel959
JohnEndel959
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 22:00:10 Reply

Speaking of the redesign, are they going to add more auras? I didn't see one I really like...

Sig by Byteslinger.
Writing by John Endel.

BBS Signature
JohnEndel959
JohnEndel959
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 22:07:14 Reply

At 2 days ago, Coop wrote:
Make a thread and post it - if it's too long for one post, simply cut at a convenient spot and make another post straight after. So long as you don't go over the 4 replies in 1 hour limit, you're alright.

Thanks! Putting it up now! First story of the redesign? No? Second?

Sig by Byteslinger.
Writing by John Endel.

BBS Signature